• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
If I have a fit of insanity and do a sealed release event, 17 is the normal number of lands for real-life 40-card decks that don't use the mana fixer, right? Is there a quick rule of thumb to know when I should adjust it up or down?

bunbun777

Oct 29, 2017
Nw
I don't think I'm going to be able to go to a prerelease like I had planned, may I throw my name out there for a possible extra code if any kind souls have extra after this weekend?

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
If I have a fit of insanity and do a sealed release event, 17 is the normal number of lands for real-life 40-card decks that don't use the mana fixer, right? Is there a quick rule of thumb to know when I should adjust it up or down?
Look at your curve. The higher your curve goes, the more lands you need. If your curve stops at 4 with only a couple of cards at 4, you can afford to be at 16. Otherwise, stick to 17.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like Temur and Rakdos aggro are 100% ridiculous, now I'm torn on what to build in Arena lmao.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Now the serious question... if I were to turn my Izzet drakes deck into Temur for added explosive potential does Rhythm of the Wild have any place on it? It could also give me some more sideboard tools with Thrash//Threat (anti-planeswalkers) or Naturalize (anti-enchantments and artifacts)

Edit: something like this -> Temur Drakes

Quoting myself to see if somebody can lend me a hand with the manabase on this. I'm totally lost with the lands. On the Izzet side it works perfectly fine on 21 lands but I'm not sure if I should forfeit a couple more spells to go with 24, and whether or not max out of checklands (12 total) at the risk on going too low on shocks and basics to feed the checks. Maybe add a couple of Evolving wilds in the meantime as a patch?

Pollux

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What's the best way to learn new cards? Do you just look at the whole list before release or just learn as you go?

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Haven't opened a pack in so long in Arena I forgot they only have 8 cards. I thought they had downgraded the Allegiance packs.

Googled it and realized, nope, they've always come with 8.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't opened a pack in so long in Arena I forgot they only have 8 cards. I thought they had downgraded the Allegiance packs.

Googled it and realized, nope, they've always come with 8.

Mhm which is why Sealed is such a good deal, because you get 6 boosters with 15 cards each, and a guaranteed 3 at the end after your run.

Although Draft might be a bit better, as you can select your cards and then you have an incremental gain of packs dependent on your wins..

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mhm which is why Sealed is such a good deal, because you get 6 boosters with 15 cards each, and a guaranteed 3 at the end after your run.

Although Draft might be a bit better, as you can select your cards and then you have an incremental gain of packs dependent on your wins..

You don't get wildcards or wildcard progress in sealed or draft packs.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not fun Arena bug: when attacking with two Gruul Beastmasters, if you have a third creature on the board, the way they stack makes it impossible to use the first Beastmaster trigger to target the other one.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah you get the from the booster packs that you get afterwards.

And yeah you don't get wildcard progress but...the extra cards you get for sealed more than make up for it. IMO

The extra cards in those packs are just commons. Commons are basically useless in Magic. Wildcards and wildcard progress are far more important.

You do for the 3 packs you get from winning sealed, don't you? They look like normal packs to me.

The reward packs are normal packs. The packs you use to get cards for your sealed or draft "deck" are not normal packs and can't contain wildcards and don't grant wildcard progress.

Oct 25, 2017
The extra cards in those packs are just commons. Commons are basically useless in Magic. Wildcards and wildcard progress are far more important.
In real life Magic perhaps, and/or if you only care about building one or two high-power decks. In Arena I want to build a collection, and commons aren't useless for that. In fact, commons were typically what I was missing the most of when I tried to build decks since the Arena release, and I constantly found myself with no common wildcards and no way to gain them. In real life you can get whatever common you want very easily, but that's not true in Arena.

The reward packs are normal packs. The packs you use to get cards for your sealed or draft "deck" are not normal packs and can't contain wildcards and don't grant wildcard progress.
Correct, that's what we were saying. You get wildcard progress on the reward packs in sealed.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
How did I not know this? I miss him

Me, too. He doesn't do it daily, but he does seem to fire up Arena on stream for a few hours each week. He's fun because (since he's not testing for competitive formats) he experiments and builds his own decks. He's by far my favourite streamer, and has always been one of my favourite MTG pros/personalities. He's been streaming more and more Arena lately, and, as the format takes off, I imagine he'll continue to do so.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Run 18 lands. This format is slow enough and has enough playable expensive cards that it's best to run the 1 extra to make sure you're hitting your land drops.

Oct 25, 2017
Run 18 lands. This format is slow enough and has enough playable expensive cards that it's best to run the 1 extra to make sure you're hitting your land drops.
Oh no, contradictory advice! Though I do trust your instincts on limited. :P I normally do 18 on Arena but wasn't sure about real life.

Would you only say 18 if I have a fair number of 4+ cards, like at least 4 of them? What's the cutoff for you?

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Whats a good starting point for the novels ? I see you talk about Bolas and stuff, where can I read this ?

Limited Set Review - Green
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Whats a good starting point for the novels ? I see you talk about Bolas and stuff, where can I read this ?
That's a more complicated question than you'd think, haha. Now for more recent events, you can go here, to the story archive section. The story of the Gatewatch starts in the Zendikar section, but I think you'd be better off starting at Amonkhet instead, which covers Bolas kicking the asses of the Gatewatch. Plus, the Gatewatch story quality before that point is... inconsistent.

Starting with these Ravnica sets, the main story is switching back to the old format, of the web stories just having side stories and the main story being in e-books. The e-book for these sets won't be out until April.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's a more complicated question than you'd think, haha. Now for more recent events, you can go here, to the story archive section. The story of the Gatewatch starts in the Zendikar section, but I think you'd be better off starting at Amonkhet instead, which covers Bolas kicking the asses of the Gatewatch. Plus, the Gatewatch story quality before that point is... inconsistent.

Starting with these Ravnica sets, the main story is switching back to the old format, of the web stories just having side stories and the main story being in e-books. The e-book for these sets won't be out until April.

Thanks !

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Mardu Tokens

White
3 Ajani's Welcome
2 Dawn of Hope
2 Divine Visitation
3 Hero of Precinct One
3 Tithe Taker

Black
4 Gutterbones
2 Fungal Infection

Red
4 Legion Warboss

Mulicolor
2 Bedevil
2 Judith, the Scourge Diva
2 Seraph of the Scales
2 Teysa Karlov
2 Kaya's Wrath
3 Heroic Reinforcements

Land
4 Plains
3 Swamp
2 Mountain
2 Godless Shrine
2 Sacred Foundry
2 Blood Crypt
3 Isolated Chapel
3 Clifftop Retreat
3 Dragonskull Summit

4 small edits
-1 each of Tithe Taker, Hero of Precinct One, and Ajani's Welcome

+3 Heroic Reinforcements

Last edited:

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
I will most likely have an extra one but I won't know until Sunday (it depends on external issues whether I can make it to a second pre-release event or not). I'll post here when (if) I get it.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Oh no, contradictory advice! Though I do trust your instincts on limited. :P I normally do 18 on Arena but wasn't sure about real life.

Would you only say 18 if I have a fair number of 4+ cards, like at least 4 of them? What's the cutoff for you?
It's a combination of a few different things. Your mana curve, the number of mana sinks you have, the number of colors you're playing, etc. Unless you have a REALLY low curve and are playing only 2 colors (with few or no mana sinks) just stick to 18.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Just received the pile of overcosted, unplayable 5-10 cent garbage for the Jodah EDH deck, can't wait to have some silly fun with it.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I tried the Nexus of Fate deck on arena BO1 last night... that deck is completely insane and I'm shocked people don't actually concede to it

Why is Stoneforge up 18 bucks? Are people expecting a Modern unban?
The last 5 years, All the Modern B&R changes have happened in either January or February, which is traditionally when the Modern Pro Tour takes place. The only exception was the Eye of Ugin ban that happened after Eldrazi Winter, which they also unbanned Visions and Sword as a way to dramatically shift the meta after it was basically a 1 deck format for 3 months. Expect to see it spike every Q1 until it is actually unbanned or until Modern is in the same place that Legacy is in today (Probably 5+ years from now)

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
Wilderness Reclamation is terrifying. I've seen Nexus decks cutting white and just not play Teferi. The fact that it can't be attacked and pays for itself or generates mana the turn it comes down -- with six lands you can just cast this and Nexus on the same turn and are pretty close to winning on the spot. And unlike Teferi they stack incredibly well, especially with Azcanta and Arch of Orazca.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this was the list I played last night. I played 6 games with it, went 4-2, Beating 3 Mono-red decks, A grixis Discard deck, and losing to Merfolk twice (one of them was me accidentally decking myself)

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I would cut 2 copies of Reclamation and add in 1 Tezz and 1 Karn just to have win cons in the deck beyond Krasis. Walkers accruing card advantage and value on your extra turns, and then evolving into win cons seems great.

Oct 25, 2017
Ya, people not conceding to Nexus if they've lost is only a waste of their own time. Nothing probably brings a Nexus player more joy than slowly choke holding the opponent to death.

Status
Not open for further replies.