• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
So a Nexus e-banning is starting to look maybe sorta likely?

A paper ban would also be likely. It's clear they didn't think that card through and just wanted some ridiculously OP garbage to sell boxes to people with more money than sense thinking that the 7 cmc was enough to stop people from actually playing it.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
A paper ban would also be likely. It's clear they didn't think that card through and just wanted some ridiculously OP garbage to sell boxes to people with more money than sense thinking that the 7 cmc was enough to stop people from actually playing it.
"e" = emergency lol

The format is less than 24 hours old lol
Remember when they banned Felidar Guardian real quick when Kaladesh came out?

Oct 25, 2017
Nexus decks were already pretty redonk in bo1 before Reclamation showed up. I've had a ton of fun with the Jeskai control variant.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I still fully maintain that a BG Serra Angel is totally possible and a relatively easy sell if the format was in the right place for it. All you need is a crazy flying bug thing in the artwork.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
I still fully maintain that a BG Serra Angel is totally possible and a relatively easy sell if the format was in the right place for it. All you need is a crazy flying bug thing in the artwork.

guilds-of-ravnica-217m0kh2.jpg

Just take one of these an make it huge. It's not like the archetype doesn't exist already.

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
I mean, last time the Nexus deck was good it was good for like a week then unplayable. But the design of Reclamation is just really surprising to me. Especially at uncommon, it feels a bit like they didn't understand what they were printing.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Shit was it really that long?

My memory with this shit ain't what it used to be hahahahaha

My bad y'all
It was emergency banned something like four days after the Amonkhet ban announcement, supposedly after four days of Modo data showed it was still absurd. In reality, I'm guessing they wanted to avoid more Standard bans, and were just hoping the problem would go away, but public outcry forced their hand.

In my opinion, the solution for Nexus is not an outright ban. Wizards should change the rules so that Buy-a-Box promos are not legal in Standard. On Arena, you could keep them for Singleton and eventually Standard Plus, but they're clearly not tested for Standard.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It was emergency banned something like four days after the Amonkhet ban announcement, supposedly after four days if Modo data showed it was still absurd. In reality, I'm guessing they wanted to avoid more Standard bans, and were just hoping the problem would go away, but public outcry forced their hand.

In my opinion, the solution for Nexus is not an outright ban. Wizards should change the rules so that Buy-a-Box promos are not legal in Standard. On Arena, you could keep them for Singleton and eventually Standard Plus, but they're clearly not tested for Standard.
Yeah, you're definitely right. I don't have this stuff committed to memory like I once did. Next time I open my mouth I'm gonna make sure I got my facts straight haha

I'd love if the BAB promos had that done. I always want them for Commander, never for anything else. I hate the prices they command.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, last time the Nexus deck was good it was good for like a week then unplayable. But the design of Reclamation is just really surprising to me. Especially at uncommon, it feels a bit like they didn't understand what they were printing.

Any card that allows you to make stuff recursive shuffling it back to the deck or that allows you to untap something without tapping something else first to "pay" for it is always, ALWAYS, eventually exploited into some bullshit infinite mana or loops yet they still keep going at it.

It turns out that now two cards that abuse both mechanics have a crazy synergy and are already wrecking havoc.

Lands in particular should NEVER be allowed to untap, otherwise people are practically playing two turns: tapping out in their own turn to drop bombs then still playing instants or counters in the opponent's turn.

Last edited:

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Just take one of these an make it huge. It's not like the archetype doesn't exist already.

I like the idea that the Vigilance comes from having entirely too many limbs. Like the insect thing can fight two things at once. Usually Vigilance is framed off of a creature being well trained or more defensive. I think it would be fun to reframe that as their ability to strike being incredibly overwhelming so that you can't find an opening. So you want like a flying praying mantis with like 8 different limbs.

The main obstacle is rarity, actually. In most sets, the gold cards are all uncommon or better, and the uncommons are usually meant to communicate what a color pair is trying to do in that set. A Serra Angel is more of a french vanilla creature and so there's very few openings for something like that in most modern sets. Something like this new Ravnica set where you have gold commons might have made for a better fit if such a card would have worked in Golgari. If there was a set where the BG combination was insect-themed, you might be able to print a BG Serra Angel with upside in it.

Deleted member 29293

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This is the least likely outcome, they would never change BoB legally retroactively.

Deleted member 29293

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
If anything I would expect an errata, they showed with Pridemain that they are willing to do it just for the QoL of Arena.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
What sort of errata?

Changing the "may add a +1/+1" to "add a +1/+1" to avoid both players having to click through a couple dozen effects on the stack if there are several lifelink and lifegain permanents wrecking shit up.

On a different note, why didn't anyone tell me before that the boulder cases were so classy and cool looking while still being compact and affordable?

img_20190118_165316xoj6y.jpg

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Changing the "may add a +1/+1" to "add a +1/+1" to avoid both players having to click through a couple dozen effects on the stack if there are several lifelink and lifegain permanents wrecking shit up.

On a different note, why didn't anyone tell me before that the boulder cases were so classy and cool looking while still being compact and affordable?

img_20190118_165316xoj6y.jpg
I'm asking what sort of errata would Nexus need?

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It will be interesting to see how they handle bannings whenever they first happen. Probably just give everyone that has a copy replacement wildcards?

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

I would have recommended them if I had seen you asking. They are my primary deck boxes, even over stuff like the popular Satin Towers. My only beef is that I don't agree with their recommended sizing if you double sleeve. I put all my Standard decks in the large 100-count boxes. The fit is way too tight otherwise. I want at least some room for a divider and tokens and I can't do that with the 80's. I have a little baggy full of dice and I just ended up putting that into the 80 count box that I had. I also want to use them for double sleeved Commander decks as well and I really can't do that. I just ordered a Dex Protection box and I'm going to see if that works out for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Any card that allows you to make stuff recursive shuffling it back to the deck or that allows you to untap something without tapping something else first to "pay" for it is always, ALWAYS, eventually exploited into some bullshit infinite mana or loops yet they still keep going at it.

It turns out that now two cards that abuse both mechanics have a crazy synergy and are already wrecking havoc.

Lands in particular should NEVER be allowed to untap, otherwise people are practically playing two turns: tapping out in their own turn to drop bombs then still playing instants or counters in the opponent's turn.

Have you see Prophet of Kruphix?

That card was legal in EDH for a very long time. I put it in every deck I could. I didn't care about the dirty looks. It's banned now - for good reason.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
I would have recommended them if I had seen you asking. They are my primary deck boxes, even over stuff like the popular Satin Towers. My only beef is that I don't agree with their recommended sizing if you double sleeve. I put all my Standard decks in the large 100-count boxes. The fit is way too tight otherwise. I want at least some room for a divider and tokens and I can't do that with the 80's. I have a little baggy full of dice and I just ended up putting that into the 80 count box that I had. I also want to use them for double sleeved Commander decks as well and I really can't do that. I just ordered a Dex Protection box and I'm going to see if that works out for me.

They are perfect for Dragon Shield single sleeves though. I use the 100+ ones for Commander decks. Haven't seen the 80+ ones locally though.

Have you see Prophet of Kruphix?

That card was legal in EDH for a very long time. I put it in every deck I could. I didn't care about the dirty looks. It's banned now - for good reason.

I have the unwinding clock in my Saheeli deck and it's filthy enough that it gets nuked out from orbit as soon as it's possible, but yeah, lands AND creatures AND flash is absolutely disgusting.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
They are perfect for Dragon Shield single sleeves though. I use the 100+ ones for Commander decks. Haven't seen the 80+ ones locally though.

Yeah if you single-sleeve the count is perfectly fine. But I prefer to double sleeve all of my preconstructed decks (with Dragon Shields and KMC Perfect Fits) and there's no Boulder that accommodates that for Commander.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
the edh ban list seems real random sometimes

like they ban some degenerate things but leave in so much broken fast mana which every deck can play that theres a million other easy degenerate things to do

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the EDH banlist is just stuff thats broken with 40 starting life. And then beyond that dumb easily combo-able stuff. Stuff like Sol Ring doesn't matter in a 4 player singleton format because anyone who gets it out turn one just gets targeted and it balances itself out (and keeps games from playing the same etc).

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, the EDH ban list is completely nonsensical and random stuff that Sheldon Mennery's playgroup happens to personally dislike. Cards like Limited Resources, Biorhythm, Braids, even Gifts Ungiven simply have no place being banned when stupid-ass Flash Hulk continually ends games on turn one or two.. Sundering Titan, Sway of the Stars, and Worldfire just feel like they are banned there is something specific that Sheldon and the rules committee don't enjoy seeing played.

I guess I just have a hard time processing how a 9-cost red sorcery that doesn't win you the game in any discernible fashion is worthy of being banned when there's things like a five-cost Artifact that enables a near endless amount of combos running around warping metas. That's not to say I don't play some of these combos myself, but I will never stop whining about Protean Hulk and Partner commanders.

Deleted member 29293

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The Commander ban list is the most irrelevant ban list anyways. Commander is like 99.999999% casual goofing around and nobody cares what some random group of people think about some cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.