• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For the people who play in person, do you prefer arena or in person matches? Back in the day, I was a huge card game fan (magic and a few of the others), and loved going to my local game store to play other fans.

However, as I've gotten older, my preference has completely changed. I love with Arena (and hearthstone and all the other digital card games) that I can play whenever I want. In the past, if I was lucky and had the tome, I'd get to play maybe 4 games a week. If I got mana screwed or flooded in one of those games, it felt so bad.

I love that magic arena and these other games has completely changed the time. I don't have to wait until Friday night and make sure I'm free that night to play mtg. 2am on a Tuesday? I can play an mtg game!

So happy for Arena and I'm so excited to finally be a serious magic player.

I loved the Star Wars collectible card game back in the day, but almost every game I played in person was terrible.

Repgnar

Nov 4, 2017
I feel like they fit different wants for me. I love being able to brew/practice/kill time with Arena. The ease of just getting a game going when I normally don't have someone to play paper with except at the game store is awesome. I enjoy playing at the store though because of the environment and local players. Awesome to see similar faces and chit chat.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
For the people who play in person, do you prefer arena or in person matches?

Different roles for me. I'm 33 now and have more responsibilities and scheduled obligations than I did when I was 20 and grinding Wednesday night drafts and FNMs. So Arena is a godsend now. It's awesome to see all the new players due to Arena.

But playing in person is (usually) more fun. I love shooting the breeze with my opponent or helping the younger generation figure out the subtleties of the game. My high school friends and I also have a big weekend gathering once a year where we travel to a mutually convenient location and draft all weekend (among other debauchery). I'll be super bummed if Arena leads to paper going bye-bye. I suppose there will always be cube at least.

On Arena you can't pull off bluffs like this: https://clips.twitch.tv/RelentlessDeliciousScallionCoolStoryBro

Feb 16, 2018
For the people who play in person, do you prefer arena or in person matches?

i like the in-person games more, but i like the convenience of digital for all of the non-gameplay stuff

i mostly draft, and arena doesn't even offer anything that resembles a live draft. even if it did, it would still be way behind in certain aspects.

you don't get to talk about strategy or learn from other people or complain about how bad wotc is at balance on arena

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So I've been playing some Gate deck yesterday in arena. I honestly think it's the most fun I've ever had with a T2 deck.
Any other ideas of fun yet playable decks in standard? If it's rather cheap, it would be even better (Gates is like 20€ in paper).

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Haven't played or read anything on last two sets. Watching the lrcast review of this one. Every set is stand alone now right? Just on the same plain or something?

I need to organize my cards and get a few decks going to stay fresh with,

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played or read anything on last two sets. Watching the lrcast review of this one. Every set is stand alone now right? Just on the same plain or something?

I need to organize my cards and get a few decks going to stay fresh with,
This, the previous, and next set are all located on Ravnica, but aren't drafted together.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
This, the previous, and next set are all located on Ravnica, but aren't drafted together.

It's funny I spent so long wanting this and stopped playing the set before they did it.

So far this set seems cool in this review but just as I quit hearthstone for the same reason, it got to the point where the novelty wore off.

Bought netrunner, played 1 game of it and it was great. I should have bought the cards on fire sale a while ago but the core will probably do me anyways

Dominaria was fun.

siddx

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
As much as I enjoy not having to put up with smelly comic stores anymore to play magic. I do prefer collecting paper magic for the value and I really miss the look of failure and sadness on the face of my opponent when I crush them into a fine dorito flavored dust.
And more seriously I miss being able to make sure opponents dont play like assholes. For instance nobody is going to rage out and run out the clock to my face. But they sure love to do it hiding behind a computer screen where I cant shove a d20 up their piemaker.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
My changes to the deck have gotten better over time, here's the current (Best of 1) list for Arena:

4 Arcades, the Strategist (M19) 212
3 Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive (DAR) 69
3 Resolute Watchdog (RNA) 19
3 Gleaming Barrier (RIX) 178
4 Portcullis Vine (GRN) 142
3 Grappling Sundew (GRN) 131
4 High Alert (RNA) 182
3 Conclave Tribunal (GRN) 6
3 Dive Down (XLN) 53
4 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
2 Glacial Fortress (XLN) 255
4 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
3 Hinterland Harbor (DAR) 240
2 Sunpetal Grove (XLN) 257
4 Temple Garden (GRN) 258
3 Memorial to Unity (DAR) 245
2 Spell Pierce (XLN) 81
1 Plains (RIX) 192
2 Karn, Scion of Urza (DAR) 1
3 Incubation // Incongruity (RNA) 226

Karn keeps up the goodness of drawing cards and can help you with threats later (Gleaming Barrier and Treasures help with artifact count somewhat).

Sometimes you just barrel out with One drop, two drop, High Alert, swing for 7. Then you get Tetsuko or Arcades out and the draw engine is online.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
As much as I enjoy not having to put up with smelly comic stores anymore to play magic. I do prefer collecting paper magic for the value and I really miss the look of failure and sadness on the face of my opponent when I crush them into a fine dorito flavored dust.
And more seriously I miss being able to make sure opponents dont play like assholes. For instance nobody is going to rage out and run out the clock to my face. But they sure love to do it hiding behind a computer screen where I cant shove a d20 up their piemaker.
My favourite thing about paper magic is that most of the people are not like this, lol.
I like being able to have an amicable chat after a game about what did and didn't work, how long they've been playing, etc. I was surprised to find that people who play card games aren't total garbage. Arena is fun for a quick zone-out game at home, but yeah, the cards have no value to me when they're digital, and you lose the casual hangout vibe of playing with a human.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
The next level for me is playing Arena beside my friend/opponent, for the hangout vibe and NO SHUFFLING.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
It's hilarious to me that people still think Magic is full of sweaty neckbeard antisocial nerds.

It's 2019. All those Gen Z hipsters like to play video games, board games and card games. It's cool now.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
It's hilarious to me that people still think Magic is full of sweaty neckbeard antisocial nerds.

It's 2019. All those Gen Z hipsters like to play video games, board games and card games. It's cool now.

It's a little bit sad actually that people still think that. During this weekend there were several girls at my LGS that were having a blast (so, not the stereotyped "dragged along by their boyfriend" kind) and I just cannot point out any blatant case of bad hygiene on the whole crowd from the two times I played the pre-release. I even met there some days ago one of my gym mates, who is a doctor and told me he got hooked again thanks to Arena.

Paper is not going anywhere, if anything, WotC has noticed that Arena dragged a lot of people back into the paper scene so it's probably the healthiest (diversity and attendance-wise) the community has been in years. Even though they might push for Bo1 for the casual crowd, Bo3 doesn't seem to be going away.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's a little bit sad actually that people still think that. During this weekend there were several girls at my LGS that were having a blast (so, not the stereotyped "dragged along by their boyfriend" kind) and I just cannot point out any blatant case of bad hygiene on the whole crowd from the two times I played the pre-release. I even met there some days ago one of my gym mates, who is a doctor and told me he got hooked again thanks to Arena.

Paper is not going anywhere, if anything, WotC has noticed that Arena dragged a lot of people back into the paper scene so it's probably the healthiest (diversity and attendance-wise) the community has been in years. Even though they might push for Bo1 for the casual crowd, Bo3 doesn't seem to be going away.
Arena certainly got me back to paper.

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
I only played Paper until now competively, but Arena is pretty much perfect. I can experiment with all mechanics, use really amazing cards, don't even need to use money for it and can play whenever. When Allegiance hits the normal draft, I can do 12 drafts for free and will have my Allegiance collection filled up nicely.

Only thing I am missing are older cards and "mock drafts" with a friend.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I NEED to make this work.

Final Decklist:
Code:
22 Persistent Petitioners (RNA) 44
22 Island (RIX) 193
4 Quench (RNA) 48
4 Chemister's Insight (GRN) 32
4 Chart a Course (XLN) 48
4 Thought Collapse (RNA) 57

Can we make this kinda competitive?

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
imo some mirror march so you don't need so many petitioners
quasiduplicate i think makes sense as well

Joshbob1985

Jan 12, 2018
It's been quite a few years since I played paper, no one else I know plays anymore. Having to buy new cards and find a decent group to play with is too high a barrier of entry for me now. The ease of use of Arena means I'm not likely to try. I've racked up half a dozen of my daily wins at work this morning!

I don't suppose anyone has any codes going spare?

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope the new influx of shocklands into the market makes them eventually cheaper. Checklands are surprisingly not as expensive except Sulfur falls, but both of them are pretty much setting the price for a Standard deck for a base 50€ dual colour, almost 100€ 3 colours for just the manabase and it's honestly pissing me off to no end.

Edit: yes, I know they will be relevant for modern as they're phased out of standard, but it doesn't help the psychological barrier of spending so much dosh on cardboard.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope the new influx of shocklands into the market makes them eventually cheaper. Checklands are surprisingly not as expensive except Sulfur falls, but both of them are pretty much setting the price for a Standard deck for a base 50€ dual colour, almost 100€ 3 colours for just the manabase and it's honestly pissing me off to no end.

Edit: yes, I know they will be relevant for modern as they're phased out of standard, but it doesn't help the psychological barrier of spending so much dosh on cardboard.
I always hated playing more than two colors because of that. The entry barrier is high as fuck because of this.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Wow when you Riot they actually put the Haste option on the OK button and the +1/+1 on top

Who designed this crap?

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Wow when you Riot they actually put the Haste option on the OK button and the +1/+1 on top

Who designed this crap?
When you riot a pop up comes up with [+1/+1 Counter] [Haste] buttons. Just pressing okay would give you haste because that's how the rules for Riot work.

702.135a Riot is a static ability. "Riot" means "You may have this permanent enter the battlefield with an additional +1/+1 counter on it. If you don't, it gains haste."

Deleted member 33761

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
Any advice on this list? Been planning it awhile and want some more opinions

Jund:

Maindeck (60)
4 Merfolk Branchwalker
3 Wildgrowth Walker
4 Gruul Spellbreaker
4 Jadelight Ranger
2 Legion Warboss
2 Ravenous Chupacabra
1 Doom Whisperer
2 Carnage Tyrant
3 Vivien Reid
2 Assassin's Trophy
3 Find // Finality
2 Lava Coil
2 Bedevil
2 Vraska's Contempt
4 Blood Crypt
2 Dragonskull Summit
1 Forest
1 Mountain
4 Overgrown Tomb
3 Rootbound Crag
4 Stomping Ground
1 Swamp
4 Woodland Cemetery

Sideboard (15)
2 Deathgorge Scavenger
2 Thrashing Brontodon
1 Carnage Tyrant
4 Duress
2 Golden Demise
1 Vraska's Contempt
3 Rhythm of the Wild

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
i think cut doom whisperer, lava coils, legion warbosses and 1 find//finality
1 less land
total you're taking out 7 cards
add 4 llanowar elves and the 3 rhythm of the wild
23 lands and 4 llanowars should be more than enough, you also have the merfolk explorers anyway for land draws

Bizazedo

Oct 28, 2017
So, since Arena has pulled me back in, a question....what's the best way to offload old cards from the 90s? I don't plan on using them ever again, and I know that era isn't worth a lot (Revised edition, Dark, Ice Ages, Chronicles, etc), but if I can find them, I think I have the old dual lands and Force of Wills, etc.

Deleted member 33761

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
i think cut doom whisperer, lava coils, legion warbosses and 1 find//finality
1 less land
total you're taking out 7 cards
add 4 llanowar elves and the 3 rhythm of the wild
23 lands and 4 llanowars should be more than enough, you also have the merfolk explorers anyway for land draws

That's fair. I do like 3 Find finality now only cause I cut the memorial to folly to help get creatures back

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
So, since Arena has pulled me back in, a question....what's the best way to offload old cards from the 90s? I don't plan on using them ever again, and I know that era isn't worth a lot (Revised edition, Dark, Ice Ages, Chronicles, etc), but if I can find them, I think I have the old dual lands and Force of Wills, etc.

First of all, check all the money cards (pretty much anything selling on average for >$1) on this link:
http://mtg.dawnglare.com/?p=legacy&source=tcg_low

Pick that up and either make a comprehensive sell list with edition, general status, etc or take it to a shop for appraisal (they will offer less, but the added convenience that they might buy all of it at once and you won't have to deal with online purchasers or selling singles).

Anything not in that list is considered bulk and can be generally sold/bought for 5€ (or $) per 1000.

Oct 25, 2017

Arena did get me to do to a prerelease, though maybe part of that was getting the prerelease code and being denied the draft until prerelease week finishes so their plan worked perfectly?

The prerelease featured:

* My wife's first opponent talking super loudly and standing up and gesturing wildly trying to talk about anything or argue with her or be afraid something was going wrong.
* My wife's third opponent cheating both games, probably unintentionally as it turned out, but both were game winning swings (he played awaken the erstwhile and said he generated 9 tokens instead of them getting 4 and 5 respectively -- I thought it was the other way but figured I was a noob and he was adamant).
* A random guy walking up to the table and arguing vehemently that Teysa worked with Undercity Scavenger, claiming he was a former L2 judge instead of explaining why. He later walked back up and claimed triggered abilities could start with "if".

Of my opponents I think at least 2/3 were reasonably decent to deal with and didn't make me uncomfortable, but overall it did emphasize for me that I don't want to play Magic in person except for the rare prerelease event novelty.

I love in Arena that:
* Most of the time, I don't have to tap and untap lands and draw cards myself.
* I don't have to listen to an opponent argue a wrong rules interpretation.
* I don't have to smell anyone.
* I don't have to worry about people cheating with shuffles, or sleeving my cards.
* I can attack and assign blockers and manage HP super quickly without having to fiddle with the table.
* I never have to see emotes or listen to someone make fun of me or whatever, and I can do something else while they intentionally waste the timer if that's what they choose.

Bizazedo

Oct 28, 2017
First of all, check all the money cards (pretty much anything selling on average for >$1) on this link:
http://mtg.dawnglare.com/?p=legacy&source=tcg_low

Pick that up and either make a comprehensive sell list with edition, general status, etc or take it to a shop for appraisal (they will offer less, but the added convenience that they might buy all of it at once and you won't have to deal with online purchasers or selling singles).

Anything not in that list is considered bulk and can be generally sold/bought for 5€ (or $) per 1000.

Awesome. Thank you. How do you tell the difference between Revised and 4th edition? Looks the same to me....
[edit] Ah, the black text at the bottom, I see it.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Do they only ban in certain intervals? e.g. does this mean Nexus of Fate is pretty much guaranteed to exist for the next N months in paper and on Arena?

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
KCI was too pure for this world. btw, has a single player ever done more to get a card banned? Like if you remove Matt Nass's individual results, there's no way the card gets banned imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.