• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rakdos, the Showstopper

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Dv8000sU8AAGNoF.png

I'll be honest- this feels more like a Commander/Conspiracy card than a Standard-legal expansion card

Bolrac-Clan Crusher, Growth-Chamber Guardian, Depose // Deploy
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
New Rakdos looks fun. Remember to either learn how to flip a coin or use an app.

unknown.png
ncf47817f8821.gif

Note the actual card isn't animated like that.
Interesting that our first +1/+1 counter removal card is Gruul. Growth-Chamber Guardian is an interesting design, though given you likely won't be able to fetch anything in Limited, probably not that great there.

unknown.png

Sep 14, 2018
The split card is a little weaker than I'd like but I won't underestimate a pair of instants that can protect Teferi in 1 card. First half works with untap and the second is sort of Timely Reinforcements if you squint a little and pretend it is.

The flexible, souped up Glimmer is what I'm looking for, it's not unusual to float a bunch of mana in UWx, I often main phase Chemister's just to get some value out of untapping. This is good stuff.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Dv8000sU8AAGNoF.png

I'll be honest- this feels more like a Commander/Conspiracy card than a Standard-legal expansion card

Oh, absolutely. I've tried making Demons Tribal before and always came up on: 1) Rakdos is the only two-color demon commander, and neither of his previous printings were spectacular for the job (Lord of Riots was okay), and 2) there aren't actually many good demons that play well with others in the slightest, so you end up wanting to somehow cheat in an Innistrad Devil or five.

Demons Tribal is still going to be god-awful bad, but hey, it's an option at least.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
craterhoof boarhemoth

man pestilent spirit is a jerk, im sure im gonna get blown up by random cosmotronic waves in the future

Oh, absolutely. I've tried making Demons Tribal before and always came up on: 1) Rakdos is the only two-color demon commander, and neither of his previous printings were spectacular for the job (Lord of Riots was okay), and 2) there aren't actually many good demons that play well with others in the slightest, so you end up wanting to somehow cheat in an Innistrad Devil or five.

Demons Tribal is still going to be god-awful bad, but hey, it's an option at least.
theres always malfegor, my wheel tribal/waste not combo commander

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
does this make Birthing Pod decks just as playable in Modern as they used to be?

Maybe moreso, since it's easier to reuse creatures than it is to use artifacts and the mana cost is free?

I guess it would need to have Haste to be truly viable. Not sure how easy that is to accomplish in a Modern combo deck

Carnival // Carnage
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
DwAlLreXQAA4_ti.jpg:small

Instant
CARDNAME deals 1 damage to target creature or planeswalker and 1 damage to the controller of that permanent.
//
Sorcery
CARDNAME deals 3 damage to target opponent. That player discards two cards.

Name is possibly Carnival // Carnage

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
does this make Birthing Pod decks just as playable in Modern as they used to be?

Maybe moreso, since it's easier to reuse creatures than it is to use artifacts and the mana cost is free?

I guess it would need to have Haste to be truly viable. Not sure how easy that is to accomplish in a Modern combo deck

Being a turn slower, easier to remove, and not being castable using Phyrexian mana are big drawbacks compared to pod. Still, intriguing card.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
theres just so much incidental lifegain it feels like, without ferocidon we need something

also because if teferi fog ends up good im just going straight rage mode

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
That green "untap your lands every turn" card looks like it could be a sleeper. Back in the day, some old school Donais decks used to play Awakening almost exclusively so that they could Wrath the board, or draw a bunch of cards, and then be able to counterspell whatever came next.

I see that Gaea's Blessing is legal in Standard again.

Hmmm...

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That green "untap your lands every turn" card looks like it could be a sleeper. Back in the day, some old school Donais decks used to play Awakening almost exclusively so that they could Wrath the board, or draw a bunch of cards, and then be able to counterspell whatever came next.

I see that Gaea's Blessing is legal in Standard again.

Hmmm...
What card is that?

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Rakdos looked good enough but a Pod commander can be so SO fucking broken that I'm almost sure now of what to build next.

High Alert, Consecrate // Consume, Cry of the Carnarium
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
v7ffnu0ee9821.png

High Alert
Enchantment
Each creature you control assigns combat damage equal to its toughness rather than its power.
Creatures you control can attack this turn as though they don't have defender.
2WU: Untap target creature.

jkq8a30cg9821.png

Instant
Exile target card from a graveyard.
Draw a card.
//
Sorcery
Target player sacrifices a creature with the greatest power among creatures that player controls. Gain life equal to that creature's power.

mzg1lxdpi9821.png

"Call to the Slaughter"
Sorcery
All creatures get -2/-2 until end of turn. Exile all creature cards in graveyards that were put there from the battlefield this turn. If a creature would die this turn, exile it instead.

The second sentence prevents your opponent from sacrificing, say, a phoenix in response to this spell to save it.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's actually super strong for Orzhov, hitting Phoenix AND Carnage Tyrant.

I'm guessing Phoenix kinda wasn't intended to be as strong as it is lol

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
High Alert seems to have a lot going on for an uncommon. I guess that's a build around for draft.

Sep 14, 2018
That first half is just not good enough. I think the name will be Consecrate // Consume, Carcomer isn't easily translated to english.

Sep 14, 2018
It's a removal spell that cycles with an upside.

I don't think that's the way to look at split cards, it's either or and 2cmc cycle should have a little more upside while the 4cmc removal suffers from sorcery speed. I didn't say it was bad just pretty narrow. Edit: narrow upside read exile.

Last edited:

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that's the way to look at split cards, it's either or and 2cmc cycle should have a little more upside while the 4cmc removal suffers from sorcery speed. I didn't say it was bad just pretty narrow.
"Draw a card" has been the least narrow phrase in the entire game since time began.

Status
Not open for further replies.