• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
It's still incredible that they needed another set ruining standard to understand that artifact can't be a focus and still be colorless at the same time.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
go away cat

I'm all for colored equipment. It should fix a lot of the issues with it and I love stuff like

12.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Long ago I had this theory that New Phyrexia would run for a while as this dystopic, chaotic, hyper-predatorial version of "nature, red in tooth and claw", changing and evolving until it reached a sort of harmonic balance. Complex systems usually reach a balance or enter runaway states that lead to irreversible degenerate results - complete extinction.

Phyrexia as a bizarre, yet harmonious ecosystem.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is a shame that Dakkon isn't higher on the totem pole of characters requested, but I guess most players these days don't really care about older lore outside of Urza and Serra. Phyrexian lore is still fresh thanks to New Phyrexia.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
MaRo actually did answer a question about that recently. He said that with their upcoming shift to more colored artifacts, they intend to push equipment a bit more through color requirements.
Ah, nice. Didn't know they were actually doing it, but have thought for a while that it really is an approach they should take. Yay!

Also, huh... would think Urza would be on that list of requested characters (much as yeeeeah, would probably be kind of weird to give him an actual card at this point, I guess. I guess there's at least that un-card, though?)

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, nice. Didn't know they were actually doing it, but have thought for a while that it really is an approach they should take. Yay!

Also, huh... would think Urza would be on that list of requested characters (much as yeeeeah, would probably be kind of weird to give him an actual card at this point, I guess. I guess there's at least that un-card, though?)
Urza is in the paragraph before what I quoted.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I am still having a lot of fun and enjoying pretty solid success with my hyper-anti-aggro deck, but I'm open to any suggestions:

4 Kaya's Wrath
4 Mortify
3 Vraska's Contempt
2 Settle the Wreckage
2 Ixalan's Binding
1 Cleansing Nova
3 Fountain of Renewal
2 Revitalize
3 Dawn of Hope
2 Drill Bit
1 Ritual of Soot
2 Cry of the Carnarium
2 Murder
1 Profane Procession
1 Ethereal Absolution
1 Divine Visitation
1 The Immortal Sun
4 Godless Shrine
1 Isolated Chapel
1 Detection Tower
9 Swamp
10 Plains

I go with Drill Bit over Duress so I can grab more kinds of threats, and Murder over Cast Down because I seem to run into a lot of tricky legendary creatures and want a creature-only removal option so I can save my Mortifys and Contempts for other threats. Dawn of Hope is usually the win condition, it's actually pretty rare that I need to pull out the Divine Visitation, so it's not that bad to only run 1 of them. Detection Tower is janky, I know, but it's actually come in handy a few times. And obviously I could improve the manabase with 3 more checklands, but I just don't have the wildcards to spare.

Thinking of dropping the Ritual of Soot for one more Cleansing Nova, but it's a dangerous card because while the enchantment + artifact destruction has helped me out of a few jams, obviously with the tools my deck has, it hurts me quite a bit as well.

I only play Bo1 in Arena, btw. I can win against pretty much any kind of deck. Ironically my biggest threat is a BW mirror.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Turns out I sorta hate UB Omnitell. I have a ton of issues with it. When it works it's great but it sputters so easy and never recovers. Gonna switch to UR Sneak and Show and see if I like that better. I think it fits my playstyle more.

Also the lack of spoilers lately is killing me. That period a while back where they just were firing them out like crazy really spoiled (lol) me. It feels like it's feast or famine and I wish they had a smoother, more regular approach to revealing products.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Why not just play a fair deck? 🤷‍♀️
Like what? I guess I might like Stoneblade if you twisted my arm. Honestly? "Fair" just doesn't fit my style. I genuinely like jamming combos and cheating big dumb creatures into play, and Show and Tell decks are positioned pretty well right now.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Oh. I misunderstood you then because

All combo decks in legacy are like this lol
Some recover better than others. I feel like UR has potential to make up ground that UB doesn't. Having a Sneak Attack out means you might be drawing live any turn. I feel like UB is missing that kind of element since it truly depends on Show and Tell alone for cheating.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I never knew UB Omnitell was a deck. Most people play UB Reanimator.

Sneak and Show does mean you're going to need some combination of Ancient Tomb and City of Traitors though.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I never knew UB Omnitell was a deck. Most people play UB Reanimator.

Sneak and Show does mean you're going to need some combination of Ancient Tomb and City of Traitors though.
UB is floating around a little bit but it's nowhere near as prevalent. Trades red for discard and Lim-Dul's Vault. I was already playing Tomb, just need to pick up a couple of Citys.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Always loved the City of Traitors flavor text. Perfect description to tell a story, matches the card name, and its brevity adds a real gravity to what it's saying happened.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, admittedly only got two games in with it, but my new Allies commander deck feels a little far on the weak side, like it just doesn't have the momentum it needs. Plus the obvious issue of needing to protect your board in a format filled with wipes... I dunno, I've got some stuff that would have helped that I just didn't draw, but it feels like a noticeable step weaker than my other newly built commander decks. It was pretty budget though just because the archetype doesn't seem to demand a high price, so that's good at least.

But yeah, like... I was playing my similarly newish Merfolk deck which sort of has that similar goal of flooding the board with creatures that play off one another, and that one seems to manage the goal a whole lot better.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So MaRo, on Blogatog, answered a question on Uncommon Planeswalkers, and responded "Never say never". We also now have word that each War of the Spark prerelease pack will include a foil Planeswalker card.

I'm thinking War will mirror legendary creatures Dominaria and have a cycle or two of Uncommon Planeswalkers, plus a bunch at Rare, on top of the ones at Mythic.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
I've already made that prediction on the discord. I also think they'll have a format where they'll use the command zone in standard.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
They've said time and again that Brawl wasn't specifically created for Arena, but it fits so very well people were interested in it.

When I spoke directly to the Game Director at Vegas last year he stressed that implementing it into the game would take a lot of work, but they know they want to do it at some point.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
I think they're waiting to sort out Standard Plus first, then they'll move on to adding Brawl.

Brawl as a rotating format was a mistake, since people tend to get attached to their commanders and Standard rotation schedule pretty much shreds any Brawl deck even if the commander is kept Standard legal. IIRC it also allowed to use any planeswalker as commander even if it didn't have the "can be your commander" line resulting in some broken decks. Resurrecting Brawl as an eternal format mirroring Standard Plus would be a good idea though.

Oct 28, 2017
Brawl as a rotating format was a mistake, since people tend to get attached to their commanders and Standard rotation schedule pretty much shreds any Brawl deck even if the commander is kept Standard legal. IIRC it also allowed to use any planeswalker as commander even if it didn't have the "can be your commander" line resulting in some broken decks. Resurrecting Brawl as an eternal format would be a good idea though.

Yeah I think it being a new eternal format is a given at this point. They need that type of content on Arena anyway.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I could see the Planeswalker Deck planeswalkers as a template for Rare (MAYBE uncommon) Planeswalkers. Constructed unplayables but could have use in limited

Oct 28, 2017
On another forum, I saw someone suggest Uncommon Planeswalkers could be 2-ability ones with no ultimates.

That seems super likely. Possibly even no minus ability. Then rares would have plus and minus with no ultimate and mythics would be what we expect.

I think we're pretty much guaranteed a 3CMC, 2 loyalty with +1 make a 1/1 and a 0 give an ability. Something along those lines.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I still have my doubts about there being 30 walkers in this set. At most, I think the set can have 17 (All 15 mythics plus 2 planeswalker deck ones), and the pre-release pack stuff might just be any standard legal walker with a special stamp

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I remain skeptical. Playing against Superfriends decks sucks, so I really wanna see how they make a Limited set about that that doesn't suck.
Even if most of them don't do anything major it's turns full of people ticking things up, gaining tiny advantages, adjusting dice, and complicated attacks because you have 3 other things you could attack instead of your opponent's face.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I remain skeptical. Playing against Superfriends decks sucks, so I really wanna see how they make a Limited set about that that doesn't suck.
Even if most of them don't do anything major it's turns full of people ticking things up, gaining tiny advantages, adjusting dice, and complicated attacks because you have 3 other things you could attack instead of your opponent's face.
I mean, let's be realistic here: It would at least make for a very unique Limited environment, assuming the cards are at least decent.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017

This too, anything but a big costly mythic PW shouldn't be an "answer immediately or die" threat. That's why I suggested abilities with mana cost. Another option would be making them just tick down so there's a very limited use out of them and it's up to the opponent to decide if they let you use it a second time (by attacking it) or not before it nukes itself out of the battlefield.

Status
Not open for further replies.