• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Forbidding Spirit; Regenesis
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
5mIouJ2.png

Interesting to see a one-shot version of this effect.

regenisis.png

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Magic reached it's design peak years ago. All these cards look the same to me. Very little appears new or innovative. Apart from flavor, I can't tell the sets apart anymore.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
Guess what's on the Coming Soon page

Captura.png

Eh on the name. Would have preferred Planesiege like the trademark they filed last year.

I guess we're going to see some lower rarity planeswalker variants. Perhaps uncommons with static abilities only (so they're like enchantments you can attack) and rares with no ultimate.

What is this? A supplemental, non-Standard booster product?

EDIT: Oh, wait. This is the third Ravnica set?

I'm super curious to see if this ties into Brandon Sanderson's novella, which seemed to have some pretty serious implications for the future of the MTG story (with Entities that seem to be able to cause people to spark.)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Magic reached it's design peak years ago. All these cards look the same to me. Very little appears new or innovative. Apart from flavor, I can't tell the sets apart anymore.
I basically only started playing Magic when Arena came to the open beta but I quickly got the same impression. I was told that deck archetypes mostly stay the same through history (green ramps mana and gets big creatures, red gets burn spells, blue counters everything), and I guess that means you have a ton of similar card effects when you need to create 3 expansions per year.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017

Honestly I've felt the complete opposite lately. Enjoying Standard more than I have in like maybe half a decade? And really like the design going on in the new set.

Justin

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, Washington
What is this? A supplemental, non-Standard booster product?

EDIT: Oh, wait. This is the third Ravnica set?

I'm super curious to see if this ties into Brandon Sanderson's novella, which seemed to have some pretty serious implications for the future of the MTG story (with Entities that seem to be able to cause people to spark.)

Yes this is the third Ravnica set.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure that won't have any influence on the game story for a while, and certainly not in War of the Spark. It seems to be setting up for events post-Bolas.

Concerning Magic sets feeling samey recently, one thing to keep in mind is that the last sets have been a core set and two Ravnica sets that were explicitly designed not to rock the boat too much in terms of design space. MaRo has been saying the third set, now known to be War of the Spark, is where things will get crazy. That said, what the colors do is never going to change too much.

Also, Liliana.
Captura.png

EDIT: The original Ravnica set design had a card type called "structure", which had enchantment effects but could be attacked as though they were players. This was rejected for adding too much to an already loaded set, but was reconfigured into planeswalkers. If War of the Spark does have lower rarity planeswalkers, we could finally see what a set with "structures" would have been like.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure that won't have any influence on the game story for a while, and certainly not in War of the Spark. It seems to be setting up for events post-Bolas.

Ah. I thought the Ravnica stuff was the culmination of the Bolas/Gatewatch story for the near-future, which is why it felt like War of the Sparks (or whatever follows in the fall) might kick off the post-Bolas stuff. I'm not sure why I was under that impression.

Timing also depends a lot on whether Sanderson invented the entities and WotC's creative team will work them in down the road, or whether they were given to him as part of the official transition to the post-Bolas storyline. Has he discussed this anywhere?

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Ah. I thought the Ravnica stuff was the culmination of the Bolas/Gatewatch story for the near-future, which is why it felt like War of the Sparks (or whatever follows in the fall) might kick off the post-Bolas stuff. I'm not sure why I was under that impression.
Guilds of Ravnica and Ravnica Allegiance is all setting up Bolas arriving on Ravnica with his crew. War of the Spark is when everyone fights him. Then we get a core set, then we get whatever's after.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Speculation: So they're going to release another novel for the third set while the Ravnica novel is only gonna cover GRN and RNA, huh?

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
We're going to get Avengers Infinity War with planeswalkers and Bolas instead of superheroes and Thanos, aren't we?

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Speculation: So they're going to release another novel for the third set while the Ravnica novel is only gonna cover GRN and RNA, huh?
We already knew that's what they were doing. There are two Ravnica novels being written by Greg Weisman. One coming in spring, one in fall (so both well after the sets they cover come out).

Cavalcade of Calamity
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
cavalcadeofcalamity.png

1 power matters feels like it would be difficult to pull off. Though I suppose we have seen a fair number of 1/3s.

gynoidpoet asked: Mark, the Simic rare split card has a hybrid Stifle. Is the effect back on mono green? And what's the reasoning for it?
I think it snuck in hiding behind hybrid. It's not something we normally do any more in monogreen. I guess it's technically secondary in green (if any color), but it's not an effect we do much at all.

January 10, 2019

Surprisingly, green Stifle is a "we rarely do that effect anyway, so sure, why not"

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
Guilds of Ravnica and Ravnica Allegiance is all setting up Bolas arriving on Ravnica with his crew. War of the Spark is when everyone fights him. Then we get a core set, then we get whatever's after.

Thanks. That makes sense. I was one set ahead, and expected the third Ravnica set to deal with aftermath of the confrontation. (I'm not a big Ravnica fan, nor Gatewatch/Bolas fan, so I haven't been paying close attention to the current story.)

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Is that what you took from the story? I guess I'll have to re-read it. I didn't think the Entity caused a spark in anyone that didn't already have the spark, in line with previous spark/planeswalker situations, but I admit it's possible I missed that. I kind of felt like the entities are drawn to people with sparks.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
Is that what you took from the story? I guess I'll have to re-read it. I didn't think the Entity caused a spark in anyone that didn't already have the spark, in line with previous spark/planeswalker situations, but I admit it's possible I missed that. I kind of felt like the entities are drawn to people with sparks.

There's definitely a lot of ways to read into it—and, like you, I'd have to do another reread specifically thinking about this from the get-go to really form a solid opinion. But, I just thought:

It seemed very coincidental that Tacenda gained full control over both halves of the Entity and immediately sparked. It could have been the trauma/new power that caused a dormant spark to trigger, which is consistent with pasting sparkings, but it felt more purposeful than that, especially given Davriel's experience with his own entity, which obvious acted in a very purposeful manner. Davriel acquired his after he had sparked, which definitely lends to the idea that they seek out people with the potential to become planeswalkers—but, theoretically, Tacenda could have sparked without the entity, and there was no indication that it was specifically seeking her out, but rather fleeing the powers of the church by entering the body of an unborn child.

In the end, we need to know a lot more about the entities before we'll really know whether they're relationship to planeswalkers is causative, correlative, or both.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Any nonland permanent? That could lead to some real shenanigans. I also predict future blue-blue matchups to have a lot more tug-of-war going on.

Oct 25, 2017
9 mana to gain temporary control of a nonland permanent while giving the opponent 1+ turns of scry seems incredibly expensive to me. Does blue not normally have a way to steal control otherwise?

And/or are most other steal control cards non-planeswalker-compatible?

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I need to see the full spoiler because I'm hardly seeing interesting draft synergies. Afterlife is just goodstuff. Riot synergizes with Simic probably. Spectacle is good with attacking. Addendum is just boring.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
9 mana to gain temporary control of a nonland permanent while giving the opponent 1+ turns of scry seems incredibly expensive to me. Does blue not normally have a way to steal control otherwise?

And/or are most other steal control cards non-planeswalker-compatible?

They just recently printed this:

Image.ashx

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not pumped on this set power wise. I wasn't big on the previous one either. It's not bad, but it's just boring mechanically, especially after the home run that was Dominaria.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

I mean, obviously it's no In Bolas's Clutches but I would play this. It's not temporary control if your opponent isn't playing blue. So it's true it might work better in the sideboard.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I'm not sure in logistics terms that actually leads to playing more and waiting less unless you're the sole aggro player in a store full of people who try to force durdly control decks in draft.

Like you're just increasing the frequency pairings have to be done, which seems like it's going to dramatically increase the non-playing time overhead as a ratio to actual time spent in games.

Oct 25, 2017
If I played paper Magic I think I would definitely be more into that format. I hate long games. Even Destiny and KeyForge, which are my normal store games, run 35+ minutes sometimes.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sideboarding is usually less relevant in Draft than constructed formats so I'm not totally against the idea if it stays in Draft. I do think this would change what kinds of removal that the game should have at common rarity. Fewer cards like Plummet and Naturalize and more modal removal spells like Abrade would help.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Like, hey, I don't super mind it for Drafts since I don't have sideboard cards to use *that* often, but if they try and foist some "Quick Standard!" nonsense on us after this it's all over.

Edit: That said, winning a best of 3 feels so much more satisfying than the sliver of time that is a best of 1 game.

Edit edit: I thought about it more and screw BO1.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sideboarding is usually less relevant in Draft than constructed formats so I'm not totally against the idea if it stays in Draft. I do think this would change what kinds of removal that the game should have at common rarity. Fewer cards like Plummet and Naturalize and more modal removal spells like Abrade would help.
BO1 vs BO3 is not just about sideboarding. Play vs draw and opening hand variance are bigger factors.

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
Sideboarding in limited can be super relevant. Many times you can be sideboarding into completely different decks.

Edit: oh I completely forgot about play vs draw. On arena it seems draw has such a massive advantage in the hundreds of matches that I've played.

Sep 14, 2018
Bo1 in Arena has its own little meta too, people there hate Teferi so much because the deck they run into the most with him is turbo fog, a deck that doesn't even exist in bo3 but runs loose in that format cause of so many creature decks and no sideboards.

Feb 16, 2018
draft has lots of sideboarding even if it's not about sideboard cards

putting in plummets and disenchants is only a small part of it

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Less relevant, but still super relevant. If you think otherwise, you're probably drafting wrong.

Oct 25, 2017
Hasn't looked like that from my own experience. At least, not since we left closed Beta.
According to the developers it's still that way as far as I know for casual best-of-1? There's a non-guaranteed bias towards having a land-to-nonland ratio that best approximates your deck, as far as the developers have said, and I'm not aware of any announcement otherwise. There was even a big thread about it, plus an ingame announcement in open beta -- one of those hint things that popup during loading.

It should be pretty easy to check through statistical analysis if anyone were so inclined.

Status
Not open for further replies.