• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Like, hey, I don't super mind it for Drafts since I don't have sideboard cards to use *that* often, but if they try and foist some "Quick Standard!" nonsense on us after this it's all over.

Edit: That said, winning a best of 3 feels so much more satisfying than the sliver of time that is a best of 1 game.

Edit edit: I thought about it more and screw BO1.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Less relevant, but still super relevant. If you think otherwise, you're probably drafting wrong.

That's partly why I made the comment that they will need to change up how they design types of cards at common rarity. You will draft cards with your sideboard in mind and Bo1 changes how you approach the game but that doesn't mean that they can't change card design to work around Bo1 in the future.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
That's partly why I made the comment that they will need to change up how they design types of cards at common rarity. You will draft cards with your sideboard in mind and Bo1 changes how you approach the game but that doesn't mean that they can't change card design to work around Bo1 in the future.
The problem there it's hard (maybe impossible) to do that without making the draft a lot less interesting. To be clear, I'm not talking about sideboarding to deal with enchantments or artifacts (for example), but things like siding in more threats when you find out the opponent's deck is very removal heavy. Or siding in more counterspells and hand disruption when you find out it's a control mirror. These are things that you have to take into account both while drafting and while playing your matches. If they make it so that tons of cards cover all the bases it'll just make the drafting portion for less interesting and skill intensive.

Oct 25, 2017
A single free mulligan will help, but they need some mechanic equivalent to the "coin" in Hearthstone. Yes, the player on the draw gets an extra card. It isn't enough.

It would be amusing to literally test an equivalent of the coin actually. Both players draw on their first turns, but the player on the draw starts with a hexproof, indestructible Lotus Petal.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
You want really fast, you can just flip a coin to decide the winner.

You're not far off from doing that with Bo1, anyway.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I can see why WOTC wants to push Bo1 for Arena, but I don't know why they want that to spill into paper too...

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It would be amusing to literally test an equivalent of the coin actually. Both players draw on their first turns, but the player on the draw starts with a hexproof, indestructible Lotus Petal.

I think you would want to avoid any implementation that fuels affinity or mana fixing too much. If they go with a single use piece of mana I think it would need to produce colorless mana. Or at the very least you wouldn't need to make it hexproof or indestructible. Is anybody really going to try and destroy your Treasure token?

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
Let's all remember that a huge % of games are best of one played around kitchen tables. A huge chunk of players (myself included for a long, long time) don't even know what a sideboard is. Best of one is a bridge to draw those players toward the game's competitive environment.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Let's all remember that a huge % of games are best of one played around kitchen tables. A huge chunk of players (myself included for a long, long time) don't even know what a sideboard is. Best of one is a bridge to draw those players toward the game's competitive environment.
The large issue is, with Ranked being limited to Best of One on Arena, and now this new move to push Best of One in paper and also design cards with it in mind, I believe Wizards is attempting to make it the default for competitive environments. There are several reasons why that would be highly beneficial to them and also to their partners, so it's not very surprising to me, at least.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is stupid because why would you want to be screwing over the players who want to play competitively in favor of the players who don't?

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Even Hearthstone has something like Bo3 for tournaments, although you switch decks instead of sideboard.

I am fine with Bo1 in the context of more casual play but competitive should stick to Bo3, especially in constructed formats. A format like Modern simply cannot survive Bo1.

Feb 16, 2018
up to 150 minutes for 6-9 games
up to 100 minutes for 5 games

it's the same 20 minutes per game. lol
it's not more efficient. you just play less magic

and leaving after you finish round 3 means saving on 33% of the wait, whereas leaving after round 5 means you only can save on 20%

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Someone on reddit made a succulent point.

When you're at home you want some snacks to pass the time between doing stuff

When you travel to an fnm store you want some quality magic and social interaction

Clamor Shaman; Gatebreaker Ram; Gateway Sneak; Resolute Watchdog; Sky Tether; Sphinx of the Guildpact; Knight of the Last Breath
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

"Hexproof from" is back!
That last card is three kids standing on each other's shoulders.

Ravnica Allegiance Mythic Edition cards
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Ravnica Allegiance Mythic Edition cards
Real talk—the sale of Guilds of Ravnica Mythic Edition did not go well. It wasn't ideal. Given what we learned from that experience and the (mountains of) feedback we received, we're changing things up for this round.

Ravnica Allegiance Mythic Edition will be sold through Hasbro's ebay store. This accomplishes a few things. First, it means the product can be shipped globally rather than just to North America. Second, and just as important, we expect a smoother buying experience for anyone who attempts to purchase the product.

It will go on sale at noon PT (3 p.m. ET/8 p.m. GMT) on Thursday, January 24.

Because the product is available internationally, this also means we will not be selling any product directly through MagicFests as we did with the Guilds of Ravnica edition. There will be a limit of 2 per customer.

en_GKw58pOsOU.png
en_gALqbuSbID.png
en_xxhmHy2xco.png

en_egCE0HOL4O.png
en_tncm2VKnY7.png
en_0inw3FXyn2.png

en_Tpi6AmjvkY.png
en_YGOkqlWMXW.png

Ravnica Allegiance Prerelease Packs will have Arena codes.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Story Theory: All of the planeswalkers in the GRN/RNA Masterpieces are going to take part in the upcoming story.

You heard it here first.

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
Sphinx is miserable, lol. Is there someone they don't want to lay off in a full-time role designing these hexproof cards? Why does every set need one

Oct 25, 2017
Hexproof is a powerful weapon that has a valid place in the metagame. Cards like Carnage Tyrant are the perfect application of it. And in very small doses it's good in limited if control decks need to be put in check with something other than aggro.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
There's plenty of design space for softer control hate than hexproof. Conditional hexproof is a good start but we really need a simplified alternative to regenerate to get invented and evergreened.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
There's plenty of design space for softer control hate than hexproof. Conditional hexproof is a good start but we really need a simplified alternative to regenerate to get invented and evergreened.
Regenerate? They've been using temporary indestructible to cover pretty much the same space, and have even made it act more like regenerate.
89.jpg
0782e090-209c-428f-966a-17f3ceab2903.jpg

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
From a design POV, my sense is Wizards sees hexproof as both a thing new players like (in conjunction with auras) and a way to allow them to steal games from more skilled players. I think that's true to some extent but doesn't outweigh its much-discussed downsides. Not like aggro is lacking in tools with how powerful creatures are these days.

Conditional hexproof might be situationally fine, but this implementation seems like the unsatisfying kind of variance. It is better than Stalker though.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
Regenerate? They've been using temporary indestructible to cover pretty much the same space, and have even made it act more like regenerate.

yes, they do still use unkeyworded regenerate but they retired regenerate largely because it was too complicated not to explain what it does on each card and because there was no clean way to keep it an activated ability with a cost that wasn't either too expensive to keep open resources to use or so cheap as to essentially be freely repeatable forever and just become indestructible, and it also interacts heavily with regular combat and doesn't just effect spells. Which is why it's more of a flavorful callback than a regularly returning mechanic.
I meant more along the lines of undying or keywording the sphinx of new prahv card text, a soft removal deterrence that doesn't just invalidate cards entirely.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Hexproof is a fundamentally broken ability like I used to- it's just one that they are horrific at costing. Hexproof is the most powerful creature keyword they support, and if each mechanic has a "cost" it adds to the CMC of a creature (ie, Double Strike costs a full mana- you will get 1/1's for 2 cmc with the ability), Hexproof needs to be higher than anything they make outside of drawing 2 or more cards or the phrase "win the game". Something like a vanilla 1/1 with Hexproof needs to cost 4CMC, with a 1/1 with a very minor non-evasive upside (such as first strike) being able to eat up "power points" of the set at CMC 3. Any evasive ability on a Hexproof creature needs to be costed at 6 mana as a minimum.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They have the perfect fix to hexproof in shroud
Yet they keep not using it.
"oh but it's too confusing" if you can't read maybe

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
Shroud isn't more complicated, people just want to slap auras and enchantment on to creature with shroud :v

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Hexproof is a fundamentally broken ability like I used to- it's just one that they are horrific at costing. Hexproof is the most powerful creature keyword they support, and if each mechanic has a "cost" it adds to the CMC of a creature (ie, Double Strike costs a full mana- you will get 1/1's for 2 cmc with the ability), Hexproof needs to be higher than anything they make outside of drawing 2 or more cards or the phrase "win the game". Something like a vanilla 1/1 with Hexproof needs to cost 4CMC, with a 1/1 with a very minor non-evasive upside (such as first strike) being able to eat up "power points" of the set at CMC 3. Any evasive ability on a Hexproof creature needs to be costed at 6 mana as a minimum.
I'm fine with this if they also bump up the cost of all counterspells by 1-2 minimum! :D

Oct 25, 2017
When I first started playing Magic, Invisble Stalker was a staple of the Standard format. Talk about fun, interactive Magic.

Status
Not open for further replies.