• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
There were Delver deck variants too with Stalkers and Geist of St Traft that slapped Swords on them. And lots of casual decks with Stakers and Runechanter's Pike.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
For those who intend to go to the (physical) Prerelease, I recommend calling your store today. For Guilds of Ravnica, slots were already filled by Monday at my LGS. You should still be able to walk in to the Prerelease if you miss this, though.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
How the hell did you deal with that? Only things I can think of are preventing combat damage every turn or forcing your opponent to sac it one way or another.
Wraths are also useful for taking care of hexproof creatures. Stalker certainly wasn't fun in limited but was far from a problem in constructed.

Barrin

Dec 12, 2017
What guild is everyone choosing for their prerelease?

I'll probably do two prereleases again like I have been for the last few that I've done. I want Gruul for one but not sure for the second. Maybe Orzhov or Simic?

RNA full card reveal

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'll probably do two prereleases again like I have been for the last few that I've done. I want Gruul for one but not sure for the second. Maybe Orzhov or Simic?
No preference, but I probably want to avoid azorius, even maybe orzhov depending on what we see in the full spoiler coming any minute now

Speaking of which
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/ravnica-allegiance-2018-12-17?sfdds

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
DwpAP0HXcAACFTX.png

Might be an interesting BO1 card for control decks if there ends up being another graveyard deck in standard (to hit both that, Golgari, and as a great card in the mirror)

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

I usually do two prereleases and I'm trying to avoid color overlap, so I'm doing Orzhov and Gruul. Although I'm a sucker for stuff like Jund and Abzan.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i bought a box like usual, i really dont want to spend more money on arena if i dont really need to (dropped 5 for the starter pack) so between 25k gold and 2200 crystals i will see what i can do

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
i bought a box like usual, i really dont want to spend more money on arena if i dont really need to (dropped 5 for the starter pack) so between 25k gold and 2200 crystals i will see what i can do
Ill buy $100 worth which should give me enough to build whatever I want with the opens plus the wildcards
Damn Baller Alert lol. Maybe I'll put in 50 bucks to get a little more longevity.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Damn Baller Alert lol. Maybe I'll put in 50 bucks to get a little more longevity.
I mean, it's $100 up front and then you basically are good for the life of the set unless you want to change decks 3 or more times or really want to draft a bunch. It's significantly less money than I was spending per set when I was playing paper, but just up front instead of spread throught multiple purchases

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
How much are y'all dropping for this set? I might put in $20 bucks on Arena.

Arena only. About 50k gold on packs and then $50 of gems for events. In GRN $50 for events was actually too much and I ended up just buying packs with the last chunk of them so I would stop forcing myself to keep drafting, so if that happens again I may go lower next set.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I usually buy a box for fun with each set, plus whatever singles I need for two standard decks as well as whatever money I'll spend on my inevitable 2-ish paper drafts per week. I spend all that on paper so I try to do F2P as much as possible in Arena, which usually involves just crunching out drafts and jank constructed decks.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Think this might be one of the rare sets where mill is actually viable for limited. Theres a fair amount of it and they're all pretty solid.

You can do some really fun shenanigans with Shield.

chapel

Oct 25, 2017
I still have plenty of Gems on arena from the closed beta, so between events and boosters I should be able to just about max out the set without putting more money in.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it's $100 up front and then you basically are good for the life of the set unless you want to change decks 3 or more times or really want to draft a bunch. It's significantly less money than I was spending per set when I was playing paper, but just up front instead of spread throught multiple purchases
Oh no I totally get where you're coming from. It's an solid investment over the life of the set (and definitely more cost-effective than paper I assume).

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Has everything's been spoiled now?

Looks like there's a fair few mill-focused cards. Shame there's no more "Spectacle as kicker" cards as far as I can tell. There's certainly no shortage of spectacle enablers though.

Last edited:

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Spear Spewer is going to be one of the most important commons in a Rakdos deck, mark my words.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Card thoughts. Card list link again for easy access.
* Lots of good comedy this set.
* Funny that the heavy mill theme comes the set after Dimir's.
* The commons this set are way more complex than I've come to expect from recent sets.
* Concordia Pegasus has good flavor text.
* I feel like I haven't seen scry in white and red in a while, let alone scry 2.
* Justiciar's Portal is a really interesting flicker effect. More than any I've seen before, this really carries the "teleport then attack" flavor.

* Clear the Mind really confused me until I saw the mill theme.
* Code of Constraint is interesting in that you really want the normal and addendum parts for completely different situations.
* With Coral Commando, Guilds block officially beats RTR block in merfolk representation by actually having a common monocolor one.
* Faerie Duelist gives real Lorwyn flashbacks, and I wasn't even playing back then.
* Shimmer of Possibility has neat art.
* Oh right, I guess Sphinx of Foresight wasn't part of a cycle after all.

* Carrion Imp had great old style art.
* Catacomb Crocodile has my vote for best flavor text.
* Clear the Stage and other black and red cards show a hidden ferocious theme.
* Dead Revels may seem pathetic compared to Find // Finality, but it's still quite good.
* Ill-Gotten Inheritance is surprising to see at common, for its wordiness.
* Rakdos Trumpeter - toot toot
* Spire Mangler is interesting for how it shows areas for black flash that wouldn't make much sense in green or blue beyond what was obvious.
* Thirsting Shade is even more SEB! art, on a common. I feel like we haven't seen a traditional shade in a while.
* Undercity Scavenger hits the spot for me for some reason, with the art and mechanics coming together.
* With Vindictive Vampire, we have a Blood Artist substitute! Probably won't see play, of course, at four mana.

* Good to see Act of Treason with so many sacrifice effects.
* Dagger Caster shows that there will be plenty of 1 damage thrown around. Also, weaker Goblin Chainwhirler.
* Deface is interesting for bringing back red destroying defenders. Also, the flexibility is nice.
* Flames of the Raze-Boar seems like good removal.
* Goblin Gathering is potentially Standard playable, and is really strong in Limited with multiples.
* Rubble Reading might be a land destruction card worth playing, thanks to the scry and a dual land heavy Limited.
* Rumbling Ruin is a weird design.
* Spear Spewer is really good with spectacle. And it's nice seeing that Krenko is doing well.
* Tin Street Dodger has a nice hat.

* Open the Gates seems big for mana fixing.
* Sagittars' Volley absolutely wrecks afterlife spirits.
* Stony Strength seems really good.
* Sylvan Brushstrider is cute.
* Territorial Boar - Alright, we do have a boar this set after all.
* Wrecking Beast is really good in Limited.

* Applied Biomancy is a great combat trick.
* Final Payment is insane removal, especially for a common. If you're playing Captive Audience, better hope your opponent doesn't have this.
* Lawmage's Binding is likely Standard playable removal.
* Hybrid cards are solid. Scuttlegator is probably bad, but it's great.

* Screaming Shield has hilarious art.
* I'm surprised Gateway Plaza appears to be the only card shared with Guilds of Ravnica.

QFNS

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
My usual spend in Hearthstone was about $40-60 per expansion, so I'll probably try to stay around there long term.
I didn't spend almost anything when RNA came out, but I had spent a bit during closed beta. For this set I'm guessing I'll go for the $100 and then spend about half to 2/3rds on packs and then save the rest for drafts or whatever. I'm not super into Limited, but I do enjoy it every so often.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
I'm definitely not willing to spend much on this set for Arena because I got an insane ton of 5th rares with the last set because I decided to actually buy some product.

Like I'm actively not going to spend money to not get anything. Might buy some gems to do sealed but thats about it.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I'm sure that won't have any influence on the game story for a while, and certainly not in War of the Spark. It seems to be setting up for events post-Bolas.

Concerning Magic sets feeling samey recently, one thing to keep in mind is that the last sets have been a core set and two Ravnica sets that were explicitly designed not to rock the boat too much in terms of design space. MaRo has been saying the third set, now known to be War of the Spark, is where things will get crazy. That said, what the colors do is never going to change too much.

Also, Liliana.
Captura.png

EDIT: The original Ravnica set design had a card type called "structure", which had enchantment effects but could be attacked as though they were players. This was rejected for adding too much to an already loaded set, but was reconfigured into planeswalkers. If War of the Spark does have lower rarity planeswalkers, we could finally see what a set with "structures" would have been like.
That is some poor Lilliana cosplay :V

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Every green creature is huge. Not sure how you can beat that cheat code since the unconditional removal seems a bit sparse.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Won't spend any actual money, I'll just dump all my 20k+ gold into packs. I'm no good at drafting and the wildcards couldn't hurt. Don't mind not having a workable Rakdos deck to begin with but it'll give me something to work towards and time to experiment.

Do you think they'll have another code for 3 free packs? Or was GRN a one-off?

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'll probably spend 20 or so on boosters in the first month. So far, I've spent 15 bucks on the game and have 4 Standard decks.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Won't spend any actual money, I'll just dump all my 20k+ gold into packs. I'm no good at drafting and the wildcards couldn't hurt. Don't mind not having a workable Rakdos deck to begin with but it'll give me something to work towards and time to experiment.

Do you think they'll have another code for 3 free packs? Or was GRN a one-off?

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articl...egiance-prerelease-codes-mtg-arena-2019-01-10

And to celebrate the launch of Ravnica Allegiance, we're offering a (non-unique) code to everyone that redeems for three in-game Ravnica Allegiance packs. Enter "PlayAllegiance " in the code-redemption field located in the MTG Arena store to get yours!

I hope they do a starter bundle like Hearthstone's pre-order bundles. Would be good to get a bit of a deal on first set of packs.

Status
Not open for further replies.