• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
I wonder if something new crops up with Opal-Stirrings-Sai now. Maybe the Whir prison decks get more popular? Those three cards are so powerful that I feel like there's still abuse potential there

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I do feel like I should sell my Opals sooner rather than later. I haven't actually played Modern in multiple years and something will eventually break them.

But having a deck that I *could* play is also a nice feeling.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Wait I don't follow Modern much, what does this mean?

Just what exactly do Ironworks decks do?

Long story short, abuse the fact that mana abilities exist outside of the stack and cannot be countered. So, they create mana out of sacrificing an artifact and in response, adds even more shit on top of the stack due to sacrifice/dying effects nullifying any attempt at disrupting or interacting with any piece of the combo. Like, they can always move around any piece in response of your spells and by the time your disruption resolves, the target is no longer valid.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I feel pretty confidant in stating that SFM is not getting unbanned without a reprint. Just the speculation of an unban drives its prices up.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
For those interested, I reviewed Brandon Sanderson's Children of the Nameless for Tor.com: https://www.tor.com/2019/01/21/book-reviews-children-of-the-nameless-by-brandon-sanderson/

By this point, if you're familiar with Magic or Brandon Sanderson's fiction, it's probably safe to say that you enjoy certain elements of fantasy: lots of magic, big set pieces, huge casts of characters, and epic stories. Children of the Nameless is a great coming together of all the things that make Magic, epic fantasy, and Brandon Sanderson's fiction so great—all in a concise, energetic, and fun package that will appeal to all sorts of readers.

Let's get this out of the way: Children of the Nameless is a terrific gothic fantasy story regardless of your familiarity with Magic. In fact, for the first third of the book, you wouldn't even know it was set in a universe that Sanderson didn't create himself, and even by the end the connections to the game's ongoing storyline are light and more portentous than anything. Anybody can read and enjoy Children of the Nameless.

The review's angled more toward Sanderson fans/non-MTG players, but I still came away really impressed with Sanderson's efforts—he's an obvious fit for the IP—and wish there were more opportunity for him to write about Davriel.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm gonna read that in a bit Aidan, the excerpt is interesting.

Unrelated, you know what I find interesting? We still don't have any details on what's going to follow the next set. I feel like by now we have something, even a name from leaks, don't we? Am I misremembering?

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
For the people who play in person, do you prefer arena or in person matches? Back in the day, I was a huge card game fan (magic and a few of the others), and loved going to my local game store to play other fans.

If I'm playing Arena at home against someone who plays slow as shit (ie, everyone) I can talk mad shit about them non-stop to pass the time.

It's slightly discouraged in person.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna read that in a bit Aidan, the excerpt is interesting.

Unrelated, you know what I find interesting? We still don't have any details on what's going to follow the next set. I feel like by now we have something, even a name from leaks, don't we? Am I misremembering?

Thanks, man.

And, yeah, it feels like we're totally in the dark about the fall set/post-Bolas stuff. I expect they don't want to give ANYTHING away that might spoil the outcome of the Bolas fight, though. I also expect a major tonal shift for the story going forward—which could start with whatever's in the Core set slot (whether that's a core set or something supplemental.)

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks, man.

And, yeah, it feels like we're totally in the dark about the fall set/post-Bolas stuff. I expect they don't want to give ANYTHING away that might spoil the outcome of the Bolas fight, though. I also expect a major tonal shift for the story going forward—which could start with whatever's in the Core set slot (whether that's a core set or something supplemental.)
Given how much Maro loves his cape stories, I have to wonder if Bolas gets his Thanos snap moment.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hi do you like winning in like 2 minute

//Creatures

2 Vicious Conquistador
4 Gutterbones
4 Fanatical Firebrand
4 Rix Maadi Reveler
4 Goblin Instigator
4 Fireblade Artist
4 Judith, the Scourge Diva
4 Spawn of Mayhem

//Spells

4 Skewer the Critics
4 Lightning Strike

//Land

4 Blood Crypt
4 Dragonskull Summit
8 Swamp
6 Mountain

Sep 14, 2018
And, yeah, it feels like we're totally in the dark about the fall set/post-Bolas stuff. I expect they don't want to give ANYTHING away that might spoil the outcome of the Bolas fight, though.

I thought there was a Chandra comic set after Ravnica? So Chandra makes it out of there unsurprisingly, unless there's no comic and I made it up.

People hoping for any standard ban were living in dreamland, it would be playdesign admitting they're useless, which they aren't though I question why we needed the bolt but ok.

Last edited:

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
He's pretty clearly saying that there's no reason to unban SFM while the decks it's most likely to slot into are already top-tier in the format.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hi do you like winning in like 2 minute

//Creatures

2 Vicious Conquistador
4 Gutterbones
4 Fanatical Firebrand
4 Rix Maadi Reveler
4 Goblin Instigator
4 Fireblade Artist
4 Judith, the Scourge Diva
4 Spawn of Mayhem

//Spells

4 Skewer the Critics
4 Lightning Strike

//Land

4 Blood Crypt
4 Dragonskull Summit
8 Swamp
6 Mountain

I was theorycrafting similar lists in my head during reveal season. But I was thinking you would want more burn in it. Fewer creatures.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere in the thread but WotC is beta testing bo1 paper "Quick Drafts" at certain stores in February:

nltc7yjacn921.jpg

I honestly don't think WotC understands what they are doing. This seemingly small change for time convenience will have huge ripple effects if adopted for competitive events. I can't even fathom how standard deck building would change if you get a free mulligan every game. Hopefully this is just a change for FNM which has always been about casual players and advertising after all. There must be ways to attract more players that don't include messing with the foundations of a nearly 30 year old time-tested game.

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere in the thread but WotC is beta testing bo1 paper "Quick Drafts" at certain stores in February:

nltc7yjacn921.jpg

I honestly don't think WotC understands what they are doing. This seemingly small change for time convenience will have huge ripple effects if adopted for competitive events. I can't even fathom how standard deck building would change if you get a free mulligan every game. Hopefully this is just a change for FNM which has always been about casual players and advertising after all. There must be ways to attract more players that don't include messing with the foundations of a nearly 30 year old time-tested game.

Just have people do mono red/teferi decks at all these events. Once they realize how fucked up it is theyll put a stop to it.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017

nltc7yjacn921.jpg

this is two-three weeks old.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

This was already brought up and discussed a couple weeks ago. They already clarified that there is no desire to do Bo1 at Comp REL. They've only floated the possibility for Paper Drafts at this time and they even expanded Arena to include Bo3 Ranked after they announced this. They're just doing testing right now and haven't made any major announcements that anything is actually changing so there's no need to crazy right now.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
How're you getting up to an 8 mana spell on turn 4? Elves and Incubation Druids?
Probably with some help of Growth Spiral but it still pretty much requires the nut hand. You still need to find a way to get a counter on the druid if you want it to work as intended, which means Rhythm of the Wild should be in the starting hand as well.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Probably with some help of Growth Spiral but it still pretty much requires the nut hand. You still need to find a way to get a counter on the druid if you want it to work as intended, which means Rhythm of the Wild should be in the starting hand as well.

I thought on it more, and i assume it uses Wilderness Reclamation. Since if you get that out turn 3 from an Elf, in your end step you can tap your lands to float the mana, then untap em, tap em again and cast Electrodominance for X = 6.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I thought on it more, and i assume it uses Wilderness Reclamation. Since if you get that out turn 3 from an Elf, in your end step you can tap your lands to float the mana, then untap em, tap em again and cast Electrodominance for X = 6.
Exactly. I didn't have an elf but Growth Spiral though. With elf you don't have enough mana for reclamation to have 8 mana on turn 4.

So you still need quite some cards, namely Spiral Growth, Wilderness Reclamation, Niv and Electrodominance. But even if you only get it out turn 5 or 6 it's still a really damn good temp play since you not only get Niv out but shoot 6 damage as well. And you do that surprisingly often because you play Growth Spiral, Precognitive Perception, Search for Ascanta and Chemister's Insight to get to the stuff you need.

Oh, and if you got wilderness out and an explosion on hand you basically won as well lol.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articl...gic-tournament-rules-release-notes-2019-01-21
https://blogs.magicjudges.org/telliott/2019/01/21/policy-changes-for-ravnica-allegiance/

Oh neat, players won't get DQed anymore just for suggesting that you flip a coin to decide a game or saying something that could be construed as bribery. If they didn't know it was wrong it's a match loss, which still sucks, but hey, you'll learn your lesson and won't be out of the entire tournament like you would've been last month. (If you reasonably did know you can't do that, you still get DQed.)

Also the opponent who heard the thing doesn't equally get punished anymore if they don't call a judge. Though this is a little weird since it makes offering that kind of thing "safer" in a way.

There's also some stuff about loops.

Status
Not open for further replies.