• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, Washington

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
Toys R Us closing probably hurt Hasbro's toy business.

I imagine it's more of a niche product, but isn't the new Dungeons and Dragons selling well?

Repgnar

Nov 4, 2017
Really not a fan of the perceived image WotC has with GP's/MagicFest right now. How do you go from hyping up competitive MTG on Arena a few months ago to what happened this past weekend is meh. Besides all the other things brought up I think it's not the greatest sign that WotC didn't want to spotlight the first weekend of limited Magic when the set just came out. I get it's not the best format to spectate unless you get to follow a player throughout but the first weekend of a set should be an exception. Planning to go to 2-3 this year as it stands since they're not too far away but WotC should come out with an explanation or expectations of what these events are now.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

samstod @samstod

Since people are curious about the original version of Basillica Bell-Haunt, it was a WWBB 3/3 with etb drain 1, and 2WB: Exile CN and return to the battlefield at the beginning of the next end step. #wotcstaff
5:04 PM - Jan 29, 2019

We changed it because A) it was pretty miserable when it actually gummed up the game and took forever to win. and B) Pitiless Pontiff became the 'hard to kill' Orzhov uncommon. #wotcstaff
5:06 PM - Jan 29, 2019

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
So it was basically a smaller Ghost Countil of Orzhov, but with a higher mana payment instead of a a sacrifice.

176.jpg

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I know a lot of people were kind of disappointed when Bell-Haunt when it was revealed and assumed the original version must have been busted but........the new version I think is better TBH. Better body and better immediate impact. It's worse at being a completely miserable grind card but I feel like it would hard to engineer those scenarios, especially outside of limited.

As an aside, why are they cutting GP/Magic Fest coverage? That issue blew up on my timeline the other day. Seems mad dumb and self-defeating?

Deleted member 29293

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Really not a fan of the perceived image WotC has with GP's/MagicFest right now. How do you go from hyping up competitive MTG on Arena a few months ago to what happened this past weekend is meh. Besides all the other things brought up I think it's not the greatest sign that WotC didn't want to spotlight the first weekend of limited Magic when the set just came out. I get it's not the best format to spectate unless you get to follow a player throughout but the first weekend of a set should be an exception. Planning to go to 2-3 this year as it stands since they're not too far away but WotC should come out with an explanation or expectations of what these events are now.
I am not saying I like it but these past events are absolutely in line with Wotc communication.

If I recall correctly their move from GP to MagicFest was meant to focus less on the main event and see it more as an all things Magic event. With this in mind it is absolutely understandable that they are not interested in coverage, that's not the point of MagicFests.

I am pretty sure the future of coverage will only be on paper Pro Tours /Mythic Championships and the Arena events which imo even makes sense though it is unfortunate for GP grinders.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I know a lot of people were kind of disappointed when Bell-Haunt when it was revealed and assumed the original version must have been busted but........the new version I think is better TBH. Better body and better immediate impact. It's worse at being a completely miserable grind card but I feel like it would hard to engineer those scenarios, especially outside of limited.

As an aside, why are they cutting GP/Magic Fest coverage? That issue blew up on my timeline the other day. Seems mad dumb and self-defeating?
As far as promoting stuff, right now the priority is on MTG Arena and Mythic Championships.
My *optimistic* viewpoint is that they want to cut back on the "lower rent" look from GPs and only want to promote their video game, and the Mythic Championships that will use the multi-camera setup they used at PTs that also features spotters reporting on players hands. GP Coverage has always looked kinda low rent by comparison

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
"Exile CARDNAME", that is to say, "Exile this creature".

I thought that might be the case but the initial impression we all got was that the new version was "bad" because the original version was stronger and it came out of a nerf. If I'm being honest, paying 4 mana each time you want to drain or threaten to blank a removal spell seems so much worse. Ill-Gotten Inheritance is already a thing at common and costs you nothing to drain each turn.

Of course, now people are realizing the new version isn't even bad and is even standard playable.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
As far as promoting stuff, right now the priority is on MTG Arena and Mythic Championships.
My *optimistic* viewpoint is that they want to cut back on the "lower rent" look from GPs and only want to promote their video game, and the Mythic Championships that will use the multi-camera setup they used at PTs that also features spotters reporting on players hands. GP Coverage has always looked kinda low rent by comparison
Organised play for everyone not in the top 32 in the world is a shambles right now though, even more so if you're not qualified for the next few Pro Tours (or whatever they are called now). We are weeks into what should have been a new pptq season with no replacement.

Channel Fireball to provide text coverage for GPs

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017

Looks like CFB is going to pick up the slack with text coverage
The only negative is that now event coverage will be split between Sideboard.com and CFB.com, as someone that likes going back to reference old formats/results/text coverage of matches, it's going to suck in a few years

Magic Story - Rage of the Unsung
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Rage of the Unsung
Nicky Drayden
A Gruul tattoo artist finds a mentor—and his calling.
* This is about a viashino tattoo artist named Arrus. He's too weak to fight, but after tattooing his siblings, he managed to get the attention of more famous Gruul warriors. There's something wrong with the ingredients, so the ones he tattooed catch on fire, and he's exiled. With the help of an ogre, he discovers Selesnya is sapping nutrients from their territory, and by challenging Ruric Thar, gets them to listen and attack Selesnya.
* There's a bit about how Gruul tales never tell the stories of viashino.

It was an interesting enough story, but I don't think there's anything relevant to the main story other than Gruul wrecking stuff.

QFNS

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Bell Haunt puts in serious work, especially in MTGA against aggro and burn. I dunno why people slept on it during previews, but it definitely is good.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
That does look like fun. Pity about Hydroid Krasis, but I guess you could sub that out for something else.
I have expansion/explosion in mine if the 4x Goats and 4x Colossus fail to do their job, but the beauty of the deck is that it accepts pretty much any overcosted bomb in Temur colours as finisher.

Deleted member 16849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is the list i run

Creatures (9)

4 Gatebreaker Ram
1 Archway Angel
4 Gate Colossus

Instant (8)

4 Growth Spiral
4 Opt

Sorcery (13)

4 Lava Coil
1 Banefire
4 Gates Ablaze
4 Circuitous Route

Enchantment (5)

1 Rhythm of the Wild
4 Guild Summit

Land (25)

4 Plaza of Harmony
4 Izzet Guildgate
4 Simic Guildgate
4 Gruul Guildgate
4 Breeding Pool
1 Forest
1 Island
1 Mountain
1 Azorius Guildgate
1 Selesnya Guildgate

You can probably splash Black and run Chamber Sentry. Gates is a ramp deck and often Banefire can be a good finisher. Ixalan Binding is the decks biggest weakness especially if they get your Colossus and Ram and in those matches it might be worth running stuff to counter that in the sideboard.. Also it's really satisfying playing Gate Colossus for 0 mana.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Mythic Edition? STILL AVAILABLE. It's selling at a rate of about 150 copies a day.
They obviously already have Mythic Edition planned for the next set, but i'm curious if they remove the "2 per household" stipulation next time so they can actually sell them out.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mythic Edition? STILL AVAILABLE. It's selling at a rate of about 150 copies a day.
They obviously already have Mythic Edition planned for the next set, but i'm curious if they remove the "2 per household" stipulation next time so they can actually sell them out.
Oh, that thing I said would happen totally happened? Whodathunkit?!

Justin

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, Washington
Wow so they have only done 5,000,000ish in sales for a product that had no additional R&D costs aside from new art and packaging. They must be besides themselves. Heads will roll!

MTG Arena Mythic Invitational
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Magic Arena Mythic Invitational tournament coming March 28-31 at PAX East.

Eight players will be invited from the top ranking Mythic players on Arena.
The final 8 slots in the Mythic Invitational will be filled with the best of the best constructed players in MTG Arena during the Feb. 1-28 preseason. Here's how it's going to work.

During the month of February—play MTG Arena! That's a pretty easy step 1. If you aren't already playing MTG Arena, you can download the game for free here.

Next—win! Achieving Mythic ranking is difficult, and getting to the top 8 is an even greater accomplishment. One worthy of an invitation to a $1 million tournament. You can play and win in ranked constructed, which includes best-of-one and best-of-three play.

We'll be publishing official rankings of the top 100 weekly throughout the month of February and emailing players in the top 1000 once the season concludes. Note that your listed in-game ranking may not be accurately reflected in your displayed ranking, as the ranking system considers games played by other players that may not be visible moment-by-moment in what is displayed for any given player. All rankings will be final as of noon PT on Thursday, February 28.

Then, by Monday, March 4, we will email final, certified rankings to every player in the top 1,000. We'll also contact the top 8 directly for more information. The top 8 will receive hotel and airfare accommodations for themselves and a four-day PAX East badge for themselves and one guest. For more details including additional rules and eligibility click here.

I'm glad a decent chunk of the invitees appear to be women. The Pro League being all men is still a bad look, but I assume they'll recruit more using this tournament.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
Might sell out of paper now. There is so much wrong with this announcement. And still nothing about paper organised play when their own deadline was late January.

Competitive Magic was in many ways way ahead of the esports competition in how well it was organised. But after years of underfunding they are pivoting to chase after Hearthstone instead of utilising what they already had set up. It's completely fucked.

Arena/Duo Standard

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
So here is, by far, the biggest change: No more sideboards (unless you have Wish effects), you bring 2 decks with you, use 1 in game 1, the other in G2, and can choose in G3. Very much seems like the future of what they want from all forms of Magic, bringing it in line with Hearthstone
In Duo Standard, players will submit two Standard–legal decks. Players will not sideboard between games, though they may submit a sideboard (for cards such as Mastermind's Acquisition). Players can submit two different decks, two of the same archetype with different cards in both, or the exact same deck twice. Have at it!

Match play will take place using both of each players' submitted decks. Matches will be conducted as follows:

Game 1

• Which deck each player plays and who goes first will be determined randomly.
Game 2

• In the second game, players will use the deck that they didn't play in Game 1.
  • The player who went second in Game 1 now goes first.
Game 3 (if necessary)

• Each player selects one of their two Standard decks to play for the third game.
  • Then the player who goes first in this game is determined at random.

And here is your rebuttal on that fact https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/and-mtg-arena-2019-01-31
I have MASSIVE issues with this statement
We know that this new format will increase the overall possibility space to be solved with each set, and it will allow those watching to directly integrate what they've seen at the highest level of play into how they play MTG Arena. It also removes a huge barrier to entry from competitive play, and on MTG Arena we want as many people participating in the process and engaged in the events as we can muster.

Making it so you need to spend money to have 2 different decks (no one is actually going to just play the same deck twice) is, in my opinion, a significantly higher barrier for comepetitive than a sideboard. At the most basic level, you take out the cards that don't do anything (like creature removal against a creaturless deck, or enchantment removal against a mono-red deck) and add in cards that might do something. Getting enough wildcards to make a new deck? It's probably not even possible for people not spending money

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
Making it so you need to spend money to have 2 different decks (no one is actually going to just play the same deck twice) is, in my opinion, a significantly higher barrier for comepetitive than a sideboard. At the most basic level, you take out the cards that don't do anything (like creature removal against a creaturless deck, or enchantment removal against a mono-red deck) and add in cards that might do something. Getting enough wildcards to make a new deck? It's probably not even possible for people not spending money
That's only if they make a queue for it. Hearthstone doesn't.

I'm wondering how long it will take for them to realise this format is a terrible idea and just revert to bo3. This tournament will be the first time anyone has played it in anger so I wouldn't be surprised if someone breaks it.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
There argument will be "well you don't NEED two decks", and also if you want you can make it like the Abzan Aggro and Abzan Midrange decks from Khans Standard, where the difference was basically if you were running Deathdealers or not. That said, it's shitty

Status
Not open for further replies.