• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what's the cut-off for when you're no longer allowed to be forgiven for a mistake?
image0.png

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
The "I'm (group that I was attacking before) btw" excuse always comes off as really self serving. What it means is, "Well I didn't care about this group until I realized I was one of them! Whoops!"

(I'm ace, btw)

M-Files: Ravnica Allegiance – Multicolor
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
M-Files: Ravnica Allegiance – Multicolor

Dan Musser

Peek into our card database to see what Magic's designers were talking about as they created Ravnica Allegiance.
* Biomancer's Familiar used to be a lizard wizard. The focus of the card was the ability cost reduction, and the adapt part was added later.
* Growth Spiral was straight up Explore the card's effect, but was changed to add some power and avoid the issue of remembering your land drops. They also call out Seb!'s art.
* High Alert comments mention that this could have been monowhite without the untapping.
* Prime Speaker Vannifar was one they were really worried about, but heavy Play Design testing allowed them to push it. Also, I keep forgetting Militia Bugler exists.
* Rakdos Firewheeler used to be closer to Flametongue Kavu.
* Kaya, Orzhov Usurper was designed for Modern.
* Final Payment started out just as Bone Splinters, but they added more and more.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I don't get why people always apologize with the "sorry if you were offended". Just say sorry, even if you're not. It's such an obvious cop out.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I believed a lot of stupid shit when I was 19, but they were pretty far from "euthanize gays"

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Duo Standard is really baffling to be honest. Bo3, while imperfect, isn't completely broken, so I don't understand such a drastic shift in the decision-making here. Hell, I don't even play Bo3 that much at all, and my first reaction is that they're literally trying to fix something that isn't quite broken.

I'm not sure that a completely new deck being used in Game 2 is supposed to be easier for new viewers to follow.

Hopefully this is just a test run and WOTC can walk this one back.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Duo Standard is really baffling to be honest. Bo3, while imperfect, isn't completely broken, so I don't understand such a drastic shift in the decision-making here. Hell, I don't even play Bo3 that much at all, and my first reaction is that they're literally trying to fix something that isn't quite broken.

I'm not sure that a completely new deck being used in Game 2 is supposed to be easier for new viewers to follow.

Hopefully this is just a test run and WOTC can walk this one back.

I think this is the result of top-down thinking. They're making arbitrary changes to justify having separate paper and Arena events.

El Toporo

Oct 25, 2017
I once lost a game of draft against an opponent using every card they drafted. I was... not impressed with myself.
It's possible they were playing every card. It was only into the game I noticed that their library still had 41 cards. :D
I was mana screwed in that game, but it still hurt. I conceded before the opponent could ultimate Domri.

Axass

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why people always apologize with the "sorry if you were offended". Just say sorry, even if you're not. It's such an obvious cop out.
Especially when it's total bullshit. Did she think that somehow people wouldn't be "offended" by her saying they should be euthanized? Who could have guessed? Come on.

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
"Hey I haven't checked what's up with Magic all week, I wonder if there's anything new and interesting!"

giphy.gif

aidan

Oct 25, 2017

It's a cop-out when they don't believe they've done anything wrong/want to accept responsibility for their words, but are negatively effected by the pushback against their comments and just want everyone to forget about it and leave them in peace. It's more of a "Oh, well, I won't say THAT out loud anymore" than a "Oh, wow, that upset a lot of people, maybe I should examine and rectify my biases in an effort to become a better/more caring person."

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Axass aidan and Angry Grimace I agree with all three of you. But it would be so much easier to just lie and apologize from my viewpoint. Thankfully I don't think I hold any views that would require me to twist my Engligh into a knot to get around an apology. But even if I did, I'd probably take the time to reflect on what I did and make a meaningful apology and possibly a gesture of goodwill. It's just not hard to not be a jerk, but I guess some people can't help themselves.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For what it's worth, none of this drama about WOTC's marketing efforts matters to me in any way, shape or form, because "pros" on the periphery have whined incessantly about everything for legitimate decades to the point they've beaten it out of me to care that some specific player wasn't invited to some invitational somewhere.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017

El Toporo

Oct 25, 2017
Me, earlier:"How bad could you do today, really? It's all uphill from here."
Me, later:"I just lost to a Cavalcade of Calamity deck."

God damn was this a bad day for me. Some was mana screw, much was shitty drafting, even more was shitty playing.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I've decided.

When you play Wildgrowth Walker into Jadelight Ranger, that's called "Walker, Texas Ranger".

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
So, could the Gates deck floating around work well enough for a FNM/kitchen table casual level standard without those mythic Jellyfish Hydra guys? Tried out the deck on Arena and rather enjoyed it, and realized it costs pretty much nothing without those, and that may be the only way I could justify buying into a standard deck at all...

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
So, could the Gates deck floating around work well enough for a FNM/kitchen table casual level standard without those mythic Jellyfish Hydra guys? Tried out the deck on Arena and rather enjoyed it, and realized it costs pretty much nothing without those, and that may be the only way I could justify buying into a standard deck at all...

This article regarding building budget gates decks is what you want: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-four-color-gates-standard-magic-online

Seth suggests, in lieu of Krasis, playing max copies of Gatebreaker Ram and Colossus while adding in a few copies of Expansion//Explosion.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, there are a ton of the gates deck going around, I have seen few with the Hydra. They use the ram and/or the colossus. I also got beaten by a controlly gates deck that only ran the gate angel as a creature.

Oct 25, 2017
I think you'll end up seeing a ton of Gates decks on Arena because you can force it so easily in drafts and get so many of the pieces without needing to spend wildcards. It'll be an easy deck for F2Pers to build

Oct 25, 2017
I may change my tune if it becomes too prevalent, but I think it's cool that they finally managed to get enough synergy that gate decks are viable. Having them be an affordable deck archetype is also a pro-consumer thing.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, DEFINITELY loving Gates. I wouldn't exactly expect it to happen often, but I somehow managed to win a protracted battle after my opponent's Drakes deck managed to ult Ral. Was pretty crazy and largely involved me swarming the field with threats (especially the Gate Colossus cycling around each turn) that he HAD to answer as I had my life buffed by the angel until I eventually overran him. Felt real good and probably was one of the more interesting matches I've had in quite some time!

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, DEFINITELY loving Gates. I wouldn't exactly expect it to happen often, but I somehow managed to win a protracted battle after my opponent's Drakes deck managed to ult Ral. Was pretty crazy and largely involved me swarming the field with threats (especially the Gate Colossus cycling around each turn) that he HAD to answer as I had my life buffed by the angel until I eventually overran him. Felt real good and probably was one of the more interesting matches I've had in quite some time!

It's really great. As soon as you have the Guild Summit down, if the Colossus is not exiled with a binding, Vraskas contempt or double lava coil you just bring it back for free every time you play a gate. Creatures are usually so big that you can easily play around a settle the wreckage as well.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Er, I guess if I should probably hurry up and sell off any particularly valuable Standard cards that I don't plan on using now, huh? Because I realized I'm sitting on a moderate number of them from prereleases and stuff, and like even if I'm going "man, that cards kinda cool though, so I'm not so sure I want to let it go..." the value is going to plummet regardless, so I could just pick up copies again post rotation and still be out ahead, yeah? Just feels weird to me as I've never sold cards before, but like... I have 2 Teferis and I'm not going to use him, so just letting rotation roll around would be kinda wasteful, thinking on it.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Teferi's a tough one IMO because he's seeing play in Modern, but others here are more up on that sort of thing than I have been in recent times so don't take my word alone.

Oct 28, 2017
I don't like the idea of Magic as an investment anyway. You lose in the long run if you're overly concerned about selling high buying low. I'd say you should buy the cards you want and sell those you don't.

Teferi especially should be a sale. There's a very real possibility he slots into a Challenger deck and he's going to drop like a brick if that happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.