• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
I mean piles as in I'm sure they have plenty of stock of uncommon from recent sets. I'm confident I could walk into most game stores and they'd have at least a few copies of Guild Summit and Circuitous Route they'd be willing to sell me for a buck or whatever. I understand you can't waltz into a store and find free discarded copies of any uncommon you want.
Circuitous Route is actually up to over a dollar a copy, which I'd call fairly high for an uncommon is standard. Not going to break the bank or anything, but it's one of the more expensive cards in that super budget deck actually (I built myself a copy without the Jellyfish Hydras in paper because I was having so much fun with it on Arena.)

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I will attend my first (casual) Magic drafting tournament today. I only played Magic twice and I fear that I might ruin the experience for others and pick horrible cards :-/ I watched some videos on drafting strategies but honestly it's still overwhelming.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I will attend my first (casual) Magic drafting tournament today. I only played Magic twice and I fear that I might ruin the experience for others and pick horrible cards :-/ I watched some videos on drafting strategies but honestly it's still overwhelming.
Don't worry about it! My first time going to A Thing with others was a draft (in my second language no less) and everyone was very friendly and accommodating.

Sep 14, 2018
derFeef Just tell them you're a newer player, if it's casual they won't mind helping you out a little right? I wouldn't worry about ruining anything with your newness lol, best way to learn how to draft is to draft! you'll get the hang of it.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Thanks :) There will be a few new players I think, I just hope I don't build myself a deck that I can't to anything worthwhile with.

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks :) There will be a few new players I think, I just hope I don't build myself a deck that I can't to anything worthwhile with.

Honestly, you probably will. That's okay! You know Ravnica is separated into guilds, so make sure you have cards that work with those guilds and that you have a good mana curve (17 lands, only 3-4 cards that cost 5 or more, maybe even less depending on your deck).

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Why is Surgical Extraction a $60 card now
I'm not complaining- I found 2 in a box I was going thru to sell things, but holy shit

WAR story and card reveal details
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
A significant number of cards in War of the Spark will be tied to particular story events. Card previews will show all the cards related to a particular event. This is similar to what they did with Tempest, but one major difference is that it appears the same event will be shown on multiple cards across rarity, instead of just on one card.

Also, this reveals that previews are three weeks long, as opposed to the two weeks used for the past several sets. Commons will be mixed in more often, as opposed to being saved for the end.

Surprisingly, book details have changed. The novel releasing in April now has the War of the Spark cover and the synopsis with Teyo and such, and we now know nothing about the November novel other than its new title of War of the Spark: Forsaken. The article says the story of the set is fully revealed in the April novel, so I guess there isn't actually a Rav3 prequel novel. Instead, we have a WAR novel and an epilogue novel.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's a nice gift of at least $7,500 to a guy you worked with for a long time.

Hope things are okay with Owen.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
They have Brian Kibler doing desk commentary for this- if they wanted to move someone from coverage in, he would have been the perfect fit (actually good at Magic, relatively famous to non-MTG people who might be browsing on Twitch).

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
They have Brian Kibler doing desk commentary for this- if they wanted to move someone from coverage in, he would have been the perfect fit (actually good at Magic, relatively famous to non-MTG people who might be browsing on Twitch).

This is very clearly a thank you to BDM for the monumental amount of energy and time he's devoted to growing competitive Magic over the past 20 years.

Also, having Kibler explain Magic to Hearthstone fans who find the MC via his Twitch channel is a lot more valuable that having him play.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was going to say that Kibler's probably making more being on the desk than he'd make in the tournament without a super good finish (which is less likely since he hasn't been prepping), but I actually have no idea how much e-sports commentators get paid.

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
Marijn Lybaert (another pro) said on Twitter he'd heard from two people Owen's health was OK, so that's positive at least. Weird situation.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I won 7 rounds in Arena Draft for the first time last night! Felt pretty good, I went 7-2 and the last opponent got me down to 1 life which was exciting. I immediately spent the gems I won on another draft and went 2-3.

It's hard for me to completely start from scratch for each draft, especially if I perform well. I drafted Azorius when I went 7-2 and during the second I kept picking cards that were good during that draft if nothing caught my eye. I snagged a couple early Skewer the Critics and some other good Rakdos cards so I felt committed to that guild, but if I opened a pack and nothing stood out I'd think "Well, I'm not in Azorius, but Skitter Eel was awesome last time, I'll snag that." "Eh, nothing too great, but Lawmage's Binding is sweet, I'll pick that."

I ended up trying to play four colors. I'm still coming around to the idea of playing crappy cards you would never use outside of draft. Looking back I understand I should have been picking cards like Debtor's Prison even though it seems pretty terrible because I could have reliably cast it.

But with those two rounds included I've only drafted four times total, so I'm pretty happy with the 7-2.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I was going to say that Kibler's probably making more being on the desk than he'd make in the tournament without a super good finish (which is less likely since he hasn't been prepping), but I actually have no idea how much e-sports commentators get paid.

I have no doubts that Kibler likes Hearthstone as a game but I am also pretty confident in remembering that he still prefers Magic. I think Kibler goes where the steady paycheck is, and that's in streaming and content creation. Even if he does not get paid much as a commentator, that still builds his brand which gets him the Twitch subscriptions and YouTube hits.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It was their plan all along to have Kibler infiltrate Hearthstone and bring the masses back to Magic!

God I miss regular Kibler MTG content, that feels like so long ago

cdViking

Oct 28, 2017
I won 7 rounds in Arena Draft for the first time last night! Felt pretty good, I went 7-2 and the last opponent got me down to 1 life which was exciting. I immediately spent the gems I won on another draft and went 2-3.

It's hard for me to completely start from scratch for each draft, especially if I perform well. I drafted Azorius when I went 7-2 and during the second I kept picking cards that were good during that draft if nothing caught my eye. I snagged a couple early Skewer the Critics and some other good Rakdos cards so I felt committed to that guild, but if I opened a pack and nothing stood out I'd think "Well, I'm not in Azorius, but Skitter Eel was awesome last time, I'll snag that." "Eh, nothing too great, but Lawmage's Binding is sweet, I'll pick that."

I ended up trying to play four colors. I'm still coming around to the idea of playing crappy cards you would never use outside of draft. Looking back I understand I should have been picking cards like Debtor's Prison even though it seems pretty terrible because I could have reliably cast it.

But with those two rounds included I've only drafted four times total, so I'm pretty happy with the 7-2.
Congrats! It's a pretty awesome feeling to get that 7 win draft. And yeah, one of the most challenging things to do in limited is to avoid confirmation bias and evaluate the performance of your cards in a vacuum. You start to overrate individual cards, and then take them being there late as a sign when it's not. It can also be really hard to stay committed to your colors when you see the best deck in another color pair going around the table in pack 2.

Once you get to a certain point (halfway through the second pack), you should really committed to your color pair and the style of deck (aggro/midrange/control) you're drafting. Sometimes this means passing 8/10 cards that don't fit into your deck in favor of 6.5/10 cards that fill out your 22-24 nonlands, otherwise you risk having to jam trash cards, or worse, switch to 3 colors. For example, sometimes the Feral Maakas of the world are better than beefy fliers if the cards you already have are based on a mechanic like Spectacle that rewards a low curve.

In any case, do not fret if you are struggling with the draft portion; it can be hard for experienced drafters as they learn which cards are strong/weak. At the same time, it can be extremely rewarding to feel like you have "learned" a format and are able to read the signals of what colors are open. The drafting/deckbuilding portion of limited formats is literally my favorite thing to do in Magic (primarily) for this reason.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Back from my first draft! I ended up last with zero wins/games ;-) Which is kinda frustrating but I am not too bothered. Ended up with a blue/green deck - which I would not have imagined to build and like, but it happened.
I had the pro's look at my draft/deck and optimize it a bit after my first game - it was pretty good from the get go they said which was nice to hear. But I had the same problem every game it seemed - bad luck. My opponents noticed this as well and we often both laughed - "what the hell?"

So far I am liking the game but not sure if I would invest money into it yet. We all could keep our deck which is cool so I guess I will play with that a few more times, I just have to buy some land cards.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
In any case, do not fret if you are struggling with the draft portion; it can be hard for experienced drafters as they learn which cards are strong/weak. At the same time, it can be extremely rewarding to feel like you have "learned" a format and are able to read the signals of what colors are open. The drafting/deckbuilding portion of limited formats is literally my favorite thing to do in Magic (primarily) for this reason.

Thanks for the tips! I imagine it's really different after you've drafted a few times, I've seen video where people talk about very specific strategies, like "I probably won't play my three-drop this turn since they kept that mana open, they may have *some specific card*. Even after drafting just the four times I feel like I have a decent handle on the commons, especially in the colors I've drafted, but there's still a ton of cards I'm just not very aware of.

I'm jealous of people who can afford to draft a bunch, or are good enough on Arena that they just always have gems.

So far I am liking the game but not sure if I would invest money into it yet. We all could keep our deck which is cool so I guess I will play with that a few more times, I just have to buy some land cards.

If you have someone you can play with regularly you should check out Sealed. You open six packs and make a deck out of the cards. You and whoever you play with can keep all of the cards you opened so you can play more games and tinker with your deck, it's a cost-effective way to get some games while learning how to judge cards in Limited.

WAR - Ajani's Pridemate

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
That feeling when card leaks are just boring reprints.

bqqiem01duo21.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Since getting back into Magic around a month ago, Ajani's Pridemate was the first card that I learned to despise.

I'm at peace with the card now, but it's still an underwhelming opening to the spoiler season for me.

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if we'll see other reprints from completely different planes. The flavor text implies that. Could lead to some extremely interesting reprints.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Another price oddity I found today: For the first time in as long as I can remember, you can buy Tarmogoyf's for under $50- and if you are willing to shop around, you can probably get them for close to $40
Guess it's finally been reprinted enough times and it doesn't really see that much play anymore, but man, I thought that card was going to stay expensive forever

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Another price oddity I found today: For the first time in as long as I can remember, you can buy Tarmogoyf's for under $50- and if you are willing to shop around, you can probably get them for close to $40
Guess it's finally been reprinted enough times and it doesn't really see that much play anymore, but man, I thought that card was going to stay expensive forever
Yup. Other cards have taken its headseat at the "Why is this so expensive" table. They need to run JTMS into the ground next.

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
Watching the first few games of the invitational really reinforces how much sideboarding and post-SB games are what make Magic matchups interesting.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
While there is a lot of dumb stuff going on, this is far and away the most impressive production I can remember them having for a Magic tournament.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Format feels so random.
Agreed, they had an article a few days ago basically acknowledging all the issues with Duo Standard without really giving any good reasons why it's better. I have to wonder their reasoning here. Is it to try to draw in Hearthstone people? Do they think sideboarding is too confusing? Do they just want to show off a wide variety of decks? Just doesn't make a lot of sense.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
I thought a big part of the reason they went to this format was to move away from sideboarding which is too complicated for new players or whatever. Instead I'm seeing maindeck Mastermind Acquisitions and everyone submitting near singleton sideboards. While I disagree with no sideboarding at least go all the way with the decision and ban sideboards and MA.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I think that Ajani's Pridemate flavor text is the first time they've confirmed anyone but Garruk and Vivian can actually summon creatures like a player can.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, they had an article a few days ago basically acknowledging all the issues with Duo Standard without really giving any good reasons why it's better. I have to wonder their reasoning here. Is it to try to draw in Hearthstone people? Do they think sideboarding is too confusing? Do they just want to show off a wide variety of decks? Just doesn't make a lot of sense.

It's bad even compared to Hearthstone. In the older Hearthstone formats, you'd pick more than two decks and then you had the option to ban one of your opponent's decks. It's just a bad format.

Then Hearthstone moved into psuedo-sideboarding itself.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean whether this format ends up bad or not, the production is very high-end, the prize money is nice, and it's DIFFERENT.

I'm glad they are trying different things. Now if the different thing turns out bad and they double down and do it 3 times in a row, sure that's bad, but I like to think that they have some capacity to evolve.

Status
Not open for further replies.