• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 16, 2018
i think arena has been managed extremely poorly

paper is great, but i can never actually recommend constructed to anyone because of mythic rarity
they keep putting essential cards at mythic rare, and there's no easy way to acquire those

drafting is great though (as long as you're not on arena)

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I played a couple Sealed games on Arena and it did not go well. I think I just got really unlucky in my pool and matchup but it felt super swingy. I had both Ashiok and Dream Trawler in my first pool. I had great black cards and some good blue control cards, so I played those two colors and splashed white for the Trawler. I won the two games where I cast the trawler, and frustratingly lost to three opposing bomb rares and mythics. One opponent also had Ashiok, another had the black/ red titan, and the third had the set's Phoenix. I did get to play Shimmerwing Chimera with Elspeth's Nightmare, which is a sweet combo.

For the second event I played nearly mono black with just a few red spells and Slaughter-Priest of Mogis. I had a couple Discordant Pipers, the black omen, plus a handful of other sacrifice cards, and and Gray Merchant of Asphodel. I felt really good going into my matches but it just never really came together, I ended up going 0-3 which was really disappointing, it's very rare I play any Arena event without winning a single match.

I'm not sure how I feel about the format. I can't really articulate why but it's not grabbing me the same way recent sets like Ravnica Allegiance and War of the Spark did. Obviously I haven't had a ton of experience with the set yet, but some of the enchantment cards don't seem fun for me in limited. It seems like there's a lot of risk/ reward with them that I just don't like. Not sure if I'll draft this set, I skipped Eldraine, and it's looking like it's not much of a priority but I keep hoping they'll announce human drafting on Arena and I'd prefer to save my gems for that.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Arena didn't exist I wouldn't be playing Magic. With Arena I get to play Drafts and competitive Standard on demand and for free.

I get individual complaints but overall it's amazing.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Went 3-2 at a Prerelease yesterday. For the first four games, I played BG, and for the last I played RG.

In green, shared by both decks, Setassan Champion was pretty good. I always got a card draw off of it, but it was an immediate target for removal. Mantle of the Wolf was a huge threat, even when I forgot about it generating wolves. I had multiple Loathsome Chimera, which were pretty good. I mainboarded two Return to Natures, which did get stranded in my hand sometimes, but I usually didn't have to wait long. Mystic Repeal was mainboarded too, out of fear of the gods, but none showed up and I only got to cast it once. I got a bunch of Warbriar Blessing, and it was alright, though I faced a lot of high toughness creatures. It was good with Loathsome Chimera. I opened and played Dryad of the Ilysian Grove for a round, but it didn't do much.

In black, I opened a bunch of Minion's Return, which recurred a sacrificed creature sometimes, but otherwise didn't do much. I kept one copy in to the end, though. Mire's Grasp and Gravebreaker Lamia were all stars. I got multiple Scavenging Harpies, though it being a flier proved to be surprisingly irrelevant. The graveyard exiling was more relevant. Soulreaper of Mogis mainly was used to blank removal spells.

With red, I wanted to use Storm Herald, Dreamshaper Shaman, and The Akroan War. The first only got used as a haste creature. With the second, I got to sacrifice Warbriar Blessing and get a The Akroan War, which was neat, though my opponent conceded right after and that was my last game.

In retrospect, with all the escape creatures I encountered, I should have used the Soul Guide Lantern I got.

Overall, I enjoyed it.

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If Arena didn't exist I wouldn't be playing Magic. With Arena I get to play Drafts and competitive Standard on demand and for free.

Completely agree. Always wanted to get into magic, but didn't want to deal with the cost of paper and having to go out of my way to be able to play games.

Love Arena and love being able to finally be able to play magic.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017

I quit MTG back in 2002 and Arena is what sparked my interest to come back and now i play EDH, Pioneer, MTGA and MTGO. It sparked my love again. I completely agree. I've gotten multiple friends into Magic thanks to MTGA and MTGA is my main place to play magic outisde paper. I love it.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I quit MTG back in 2002 and Arena is what sparked my interest to come back and now i play EDH, Pioneer, MTGA and MTGO. It sparked my love again. I completely agree. I've gotten multiple friends into Magic thanks to MTGA and MTGA is my main place to play magic outisde paper. I love it.
That's where a close friend and I are at. We quit sophomore year, about 2002 or so. We've always kept tabs and laughed at some OP power creep over the years. But we didn't play.

But now we get to play in an easy, quick , sleek, and nearly free way. I've probably spent $100 since early closed Beta in 2018, and none in 2019, and have been able to play almost any tier 1 deck. Occasionally it's too many random mythicS and rares I didn't get in draft and it's too experimental to try. He spent half that and has like 50-70K gems stockpiled because he's great at traditional draft and doesn't do anything else.

Way cheaper than MTGO and way cheaper and easier than paper. Don't have time and money for paper with a family to provide for, but I do have late weeknights and early weekend mornings to play video games and chat with friends.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I've actually got less beef with Arena than the paper side of Magic, which kind of sucks since I have friends who work on the paper side.

PS: 4-0 in Simic with a Green devotion lean to get Nylea online. Kind of dull, only interesting interactions were from the constellation copycat. Kind of down on the set in general, and still SUPER negative on its contribution to the health of basically any play mode.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
My prerelease was okay. I thought I had something with a dream trawler and a nadir kraken, even a few gulls, but it just didn't pan out. The rest of my creatures in white/blue weren't enough to deal with the larger green and black creatures. Also had terrible draws and up against opponents with lots of answers. I will say the games that I resolved Dream Trawler were insta-wins, but didn't show up enough to keep me from getting rolled. I also never play blue in limited. Probably should have left more counters in and relied on those and the gulls to keep the enemy at bay until the good stuff came. The white removal is decent (heliod's punishment is solid considering how often it can lock up a creature that's got an enchanment on it), but not enough to make up for my empty midgame.

Barrin

Dec 12, 2017
Made plans after I signed up for the prerelease so I just picked my prerelease pack and booster box up without playing. Pulled decently well with the highlights being an alternate art Thassa and a foil alternate art Ashiok. Not sure if I want to sell or keep Ashiok.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Had a wonderful time this Saturday. Invited a friend to two prereleases and he managed to sweep both of them, beating me in the final round of the second one.

I also opened an alternate art Elspeth. Love it.

Qasiel

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't actually do to badly at prerelease for a change. Came 3rd for DHG and placed reasonably well for my singles. Promo Shadowspear really helped, along with getting Heliod & Kunoros for a fun lifelink + counter deck.

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
3-0 in prerelease with WB Constellation/Recursion shenanigans. Basically all the pegasus, especially that rare one, won me the games.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Black/Red aggro seems like a decent draft strategy. I pulled an unbelievable sealed pool for it, but the only "bombs" were two Tectonic Giants; it was mostly just consistent 2/3/4 drops and removal with a couple combat tricks. It's very fast, especially with Slaughtermaster of Mogis, and just rolls over the slower durdling White/Blue/X decks. I 2-0 blitzed several players, and the only thing that could match me was a ridiculously removal heavy Black/Green midrange pile.

Speaking of Black and Green, they're easily the best colors in the set and it's not even close. Black is obvious, while Green has Ilysian Carytid, Voracious Typhon, and Wolfbriar Blessing (holy shit this card is good) all at common. I'm kinda shocked at how underwhelming White, Blue, and Red feel in comparison.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Green best colour in draft?

mshckd.gif

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Green best colour in draft?

mshckd.gif
Black is the best by far. Mire in Misery, Final Death, Pharika's Libation, and Loathesome Catoblepas are all great removal and Black's common creatures are all decent to exceptional.

Green is clear second best though. Nothing like a 4/4 for 4 that keeps coming back as a 7/7 for 7 after it dies at common.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me of Eldraine when black was also touted as best colour, but green had the best threats and had more options to splash.

Oct 25, 2017
Image.ashx

I get unreasonably irritated seeing people ask "why would you ever target an enchantment with 'One with the Stars' that's so weird"

So I'm going to say it here and get it off my chest. You guys are smart and know this already but whatever.

The reason "One With the Stars" says "Enchant creature or enchantment" is because it turns the creature into an enchantment; if it was only allowed to enchant a creature and not an enchantment, it would fall off and end up doing nothing.

Phew that felt good.

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
Does anyone have an extra Theros pre-release code? Can trade with a Liliana's Legion twitch prime code if needed.

If anyone wants a Liliana's Legion Twitch Prime deck for free, I have a spare code. Expires Feb 10. Doesn't work if you already redeemed one.

EDIT: all gone

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018
tried playing a normal deck that doesn't cheat on mana
played against fires of invention once and was reminded of my foolishness

now i think i'll go back to playing fires decks for another 3 months

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Tried Elspeth, Sun's Nemesis in Pioneer White Weenie. She's slow, but two Thalia's Lieutenant triggers is nothing to scoff at, and she dodges board wipes.

It was mostly an excuse to play with the cool showcase frame version though. How future planeswalker showcase frames are more like this and less like the Eldraine ones.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
So there's a Pioneer GP near me in a week. Maybe I can brew something up. As someone who has never played Pioneer before, what's the meta like? I see it's over 70% aggro on mtgtop8. Yikes.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So there's a Pioneer GP near me in a week. Maybe I can brew something up. As someone who has never played Pioneer before, what's the meta like? I see it's over 70% aggro on mtgtop8. Yikes.
Currently the top decks are big Red, UW control, 5 color Niv-Mizzet, various flavors of Green ramp, various flavors of Green stompy, mono-Black aggro, Soulflayer, and Ensoul Artifact aggro.

Lotus Storm isn't a common deck right now, but it's good to have a plan for facing it.

Edit: Oh shit, I forgot Theros. Heliod Ballista is gonna probably be everywhere. Shadowspear makes Ensoul Artifact better.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Heliod combo seems like it'd be easy to disrupt.

Please don't tell me Hardened Scales is in the format.

EternalWinter

Oct 27, 2017
Oklahoma, USA
So for a player that used to play in the mid 90's and has now recently returned via MTG Arena, can someone point me in the direction of a good resource to learn how to draft? That seems like it would be a lot of fun but I'm rather lost.

Sir Charles

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego, CA
So for a player that used to play in the mid 90's and has now recently returned via MTG Arena, can someone point me in the direction of a good resource to learn how to draft? That seems like it would be a lot of fun but I'm rather lost.
I'm not an expert by any means, but I've mostly been trying to pick up drafting by listening to the Limited Resources podcast and following videos by the hosts of that show on Youtube. They give overall strategy to approaching a draft based on each set's meta and grade out each individual card in the set prior to release. If you listen to each episode they also go back and revise their takes on each card as the draft meta forms. They're also fairly entertaining, at least when it comes to the world of Magic podcasts.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
To the absolute surprise of no one, the U/G deck is busted.

Play spells that interact, people. Someone has to be the fun police to stop those kind of decks from going out of control. Josh literally played a t2 Phantasmal Image which stayed in play for several turns, gave him tens of mana, until it got bounced back to his hand and he gets to replay it again. WHY??

Also, red decks, play Pyroblast and/or Red Elemental Blast in your decks. Cyclonic Rift is a dumb card and any card that stops it from resolving is a win for everyone else at the table. It also nukes Rhystic Study if so desired. For one mana.

These are Firemind's hot tips of the year. Heed it and many U/G commanders shall fear you.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
simic or sultai in commander = kill on sight

the exception is dont kill me if i am playing sidisi or something, be reasonable now

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
help i accidentally my whole deck

e1c823e0820afbd5edf4faef91636087.jpg

rakdos sacrifice: broke

jund food sacrifice featuring vivien and garruk: woke

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My opponent's turn 1: "Forest, Elvish Mystic."

My turn 1: "Plains, Dauntless Bodyguard."

My opponent's turn 2: "Forest, Burning Tree Emissary, Steel Leaf Champion."

My turn 2: "Uh... Plains, Declaration in Stone? Swing for 2."

My opponent's turn 3: "Forest, Surrak the Huntcaller, swing for 7."

Jesus Christ Pioneer Green is silly. So many 1 mana dorks and crazy 3 and 4 mana beat sticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.