• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
THB_header.png

Previous thread
Arena thread
Product info
Where to find previews
Card image gallery
Variant image gallery
Mechanics: Escape, devotion, constellation, saga
Next set: Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths
Story archive

MTG_Discord_invite_3.png

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
Magic: the Gathering is a Trading Card Game, the first of its kind, developed by Richard Garfield and his playtesters for the gaming company Wizards of the Coast in 1993. You and your opponents play the role of dueling planeswalkers, wizards able to travel between dimensions known as planes to gather unique magic. Using customized decks made up of your spells, the creatures you can summon, your mana bonds with lands, and even other planeswalkers you can call in to help out, you try to defeat your foes.

After a trip to the Arthurian and fairy tale world of Eldraine, we return to the Greek mythology world of Theros. Last time, the planeswalker Elspeth fought on behalf of the Sun God Heliod, only for him to betray her and cast her to the underworld. Now, she attempts to fight her way out to seek revenge, and in the process, unleashes all sorts of ancient horrors.

Note that there is no tie-in novel.

In the Standard format, the following sets will be legal.
  • Guilds of Ravnica
  • Ravnica Allegiance
  • War of the Spark
  • Core Set 2020
  • Throne of Eldraine
  • Theros: Beyond Death

Banned cards in Standard.

GETTING STARTED
Official guide to starting Magic

To see what a game is like, check out Geek and Sundry's Spellslinger series, where Day[9] battles various geek celebrities, often losing, using simple and easy to follow decks.

For the digital card game, you can play Magic Arena potentially for free. It has its own thread.

For the physical card game, there are many ways to get on board. If you go to a local game store (LGS), the owner will give you a simple Welcome Deck for free, after demonstrating how to play the game. The Spellslinger Starter Kit (Core Set 2020 edition) has two simple decks that you do not shuffle so you and a friend can get a guided tour through how a game of Magic can work. Planeswalker Decks are pre-constructed decks with four brand new cards, including unique planeswalker cards and one additional booster pack. While not particularly strong, they will allow you to actually play casual games. Challenger Decks (2019 edition) will allow you to compete in Standard tournaments using real decks for, before release, much cheaper than buying the cards individually. Note that the latest decks will have cards that have rotated out of Standard by Throne of Eldraine's release. A new set of decks will release in April.

If you want to build your own deck, a Deck Builder's Toolkit (Core Set 2020 edition) will give you a decent starting collection of cards, including 125 fixed cards, 100 basic lands, four booster packs, and perhaps most importantly, a good box for your cards. A new Toolkit will release with Theros: Beyond Death.

The big thing to look forward to, however, is the Prerelease event held for every set. You play using the Sealed format, where every player is given a box with six booster packs and a random additional rare card. From this pool of cards, all of which you keep, each player builds a deck of 40 cards and participates in a Swiss-system tournament. This is a fun and casual event, where everyone is still trying to figure out the set, so don't worry about messing up. In addition to normal duels, there are also Two-Headed Giant events, where you pair up with another player and face off against another team.

Prerelease events will be held on January 17–19, 2020. Call your local game store a few days ahead of time to register for the Prerelease, or they might just run out of room. Find local game stores here.

BOOSTER CHANGES

There are now three kinds of booster packs.

First, there are the classic ones, now called Draft Booster Packs. Besides normal art, you can also get alternate art "constellation showcase-frame" versions of the gods, demigods, and planeswalkers.

Second, there are Theme Booster Packs. You get 35 cards just of the color indicated, or whatever theme the set goes with. 34 of the cards are a mix of commons and uncommons, more of the former but there's no set ratio, and 1 rare or mythic rare, with 1/10 packs having an additional rare or mythic rare. These are about $7. Starting with Theros: Beyond Death, these come with two rares in each color that aren't in Draft Booster Packs.

Last, there are Collector Booster Packs, which are about $20-25. The contents are
  1. Two premium foil basic Nyx Lands, which are full-art basic lands
  2. Eight premium foil common, uncommon, or non-Nyx basic lands
  3. One ancillary card—each booster will contain one card from an ancillary release, including Planeswalker Decks, Theme Boosters, and the Buy-a-Box promo.
  4. One non-foil rare or mythic with the extended-art frame
  5. One premium foil rare or mythic rare—this can be either the standard frame or the extended-art frame
  6. One non-foil Saga or constellation showcase-frame card—these can be uncommon, rare, or mythic rare and can include the borderless planeswalkers
  7. One foil constellation showcase-frame card
  8. One premium foil token
NEW FORMAT

Joining Modern, Legacy, and Vintage, there is a new non-rotating format.

Pioneer covers all Standard sets from Return to Ravnica on. Launched in October, it's already become huge, especially due to both Modern and Standard having problems. It's also significantly cheaper than Modern, with greater ability to do well with your existing Standard decks. The format started with a ban list containing the fetch lands, but added more as the format developed.

THB_details.png

Arena Release Date: January 16, 2020
Prerelease Weekend: January 17, 2020 – January 19, 2020
Release Date: January 24, 2020
Card image gallery
Variant image gallery
Mechanics: Escape, devotion, constellation, saga

Escape

en_daGNRiu6KK.png
en_pA2gnDImLa.png

It's time to break out of the underworld. Escape allows you to cast cards out of the graveyard for the specified cost, which includes exiling other cards from the graveyard. You can do this repeatedly, as long as you have other cards to exile. Some spells get a benefit when you cast them for the escape cost.

Devotion

en_FjiaUOh8Db.png
graymerchantofasphodel.jpg
en_tkfZAWRbpw.png
klothysgodofdestiny.jpg

On Theros, showing your devotion to the gods will bring many benefits. Devotion looks at the colored mana symbols in the casting costs of permanents you control, and cards will have different effects based on them. For example, if you control no other permanents, then Daxos will provide devotion to white of 2, meaning he will have 2 toughness.

Constellation

en_YtCzxu38VC.png

On Theros, enchantments link you to the world of the gods and their night sky. Constellation effects trigger whenever an enchantment enters the battlefield under your control. The effects are different for each card.

Saga
en_jD00ZKoKGG.png
thebindingofthetitans.jpg

Theros is a world of tales. Returning from Dominaria, sagas are enchantments that tell a story over time, with a different effect each turn. When it enters the battlefield and after you draw for your turn, you add a lore counter and trigger the corresponding effect. Then after the last one, you sacrifice the enchantment. This makes it useful for constellation, devotion, and escape.

SCHEDULE
Premier events schedule

Arena Release Date: January 16, 2020
Prerelease Weekend: January 17, 2020 – January 19, 2020
Release Date: January 24, 2020

Spring set: Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths

Summer set: Core Set 2021

Next fall set: Zendikar Rising

OTHER THREADS
Throne of Eldraine
Core Set 2020
War of the Spark
Ravnica Allegiance
Guilds of Ravnica
Core Set 2019
Dominaria
Arena on Gaming side
Arena Closed Beta on Gaming side
Rivals of Ixalan
Great Designer Search 3
First Hangouts OT
http://www.**********/forum/showthread.php?t=1424890 - Last GAF thread - Ixalan

RESOURCES
Official articles - Nicknamed the Mothership, these articles are the primary source of news. Recommended columns are Making Magic, written by the head designer, Mark Rosewater (aka MaRo); Magic Story, which tells the story, written by various authors; and Play Design, written by various Magic developers. The other articles generally discuss deck building.
Card image gallery - Best way to see all of the spoiled cards together, but only updates once a day.
Blogatog - Tumblr ran by Mark Rosewater where he answers questions, updates very frequently.
Drive to Work - Mark Rosewater's weekly podcast about Magic that he literally records as he drives to work. Two episodes are released every Friday.
MTG Reddit - The best place to get new card information. The community sucks, though.
Gatherer - The official method of searching through released cards. Has autocomplete.
Scryfall - The better search method, with bigger cards, but it doesn't have autocomplete.
Game store locator

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
'chanments.

Curious to see how hard they push the enchanment theme this time around compared to the last Theros block. Not beign enchantment enough was a big complaint for the first go 'round.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
'chanments.

Curious to see how hard they push the enchanment theme this time around compared to the last Theros block. Not beign enchantment enough was a big complaint for the first go 'round.
Constellation being a mechanic from the first set and not, well, the third set is alone promising. Plus heroic isn't a named mechanic, meaning they don't have to push auras in particular.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Come on lemme at those spoilers. I wanna pretend white will be viable!

Sep 14, 2018
I wonder if the visionaries of Play Design will give control some actual tools this time, I saw Ashiok's Erasure but then there's that 4 mana Cancel...

I'm expecting an over the top 3 cmc pw that they "didn't see coming how strong it is".

Thirst for Meaning; Storm's Wrath; Warden of the Chained

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
Ready for Theros. Haven't been this "over" the current set since Mirrordin.

I wonder if theres anything new that will shake up the current meta though.

Minotaur will def go in my Kiora deck. Thirst will fit in my Stax deck really well

Oct 25, 2017
Thirst for Knowledge was historically a good card, but it's so outclassed at this point and enchantments are just worse than artifacts (in a normal set - this is different). So I guess I'm kinda skeptical this is going to be a meaningful card but it's a neat card to have in the pool.

Oct 27, 2017
I've stopped playing for a while since they raised the price of boosters, but I might still go to the prerelease for this set.

For Klothys you'd need a combined total of 7 red and green, right? Not 7 of each?

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Thirst for Knowledge was historically a good card, but it's so outclassed at this point and enchantments are just worse than artifacts (in a normal set - this is different). So I guess I'm kinda skeptical this is going to be a meaningful card but it's a neat card to have in the pool.
I remember I played Thirst in Extended Tron. Now there's a green one mana spell that does the same thing better lol

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
I've stopped playing for a while since they raised the price of boosters, but I might still go to the prerelease for this set.

For Klothys you'd need a combined total of 7 red and green, right? Not 7 of each?

Yes, any combination of red/green pips. Specifically, hybrid mana only counts as one per pip, even if it's both colors ala burning tree emissary.

Underworld Breach
Oct 25, 2017
I can't get the link to embed on mobile but this card is super interesting.

Underworld Breach 1R
Enchantment - Rare

Each nonland card in your graveyard has Escape. The escape cost is equal to the cards mana cost plus exile three other cards from your graveyard.

At the beginning of the end step, sacrifice Underworld Breach.

Nylea, Sharp-Eyed; Woe Strider; Temples
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I can't get the link to embed on mobile but this card is super interesting.

Underworld Breach 1R
Enchantment - Rare

Each nonland card in your graveyard has Escape. The escape cost is equal to the cards mana cost plus exile three other cards from your graveyard.

At the beginning of the end step, sacrifice Underworld Breach.
40NFgOhl.png

Note that it's an enchantment, so
* You can't use it to pay escape costs.
* Cards that go to the graveyard after you cast this still have escape costs.

ttvg1735xr741.png

Nylea, Sharp-Eyed -- 3G
Legendary Enchantment Creature - God
Indestructible
As long as your devotion to green is less than 5, ~ isn't a creature.
Creature spells you cast cost {1} less to cast.
2G: Reveal the top card of your library. If it's a creature card, put it into your hand. Otherwise you may put it into your graveyard.
5/6

Shadows Over Innistrad common ability placed onto a mythic. Seems good.

ENC_E92XsAAZNlw.png

I have to imagine the goat is some myth reference.
Anyway, free sac outlet that can recur itself.

ENDR9mbUwAYIyCm.jpg:large

All the temples revealed.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
The first turn advantage is ridiculous. On arena: "opponent goes first"

Well guess I'll just lose now.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Purphorous basically has [[Flash]] as a an activated ability. Is there a reanimator deck that could break him open with something like but not exactly Protean Hulk?

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
Remember: you can activate Purphy more than once a turn. Get dat devotion!

I wanna drop the Ox with Purphoros and draw three for more drops then do it again next turn from the yard. Woooaaaaaaaaaaawheeeeeeee

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Still annoyed that after finally returning to Theros they stop making magic story posts/novels 🙃

Status
Not open for further replies.