• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also even if WW could've been called dominating, it doesn't mean white is overpowered. It means a specific white strategy is.

Green in 2019 had everything: mid-range, ramp, combo, counters, card draw engines, card selection.

Scaling back on too many aggressive one drops is an easy fix by comparison

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
I know I played a lot of WW in Ravnica allegiance and the only big piece out of that set was unbreakable formation so it would have been just about as good in Guilds. It was mostly fine but had its coin flips. Going up against red? Better resolve loxodon before they play a goblin chainwhirler. Against control? Ive got a chance if I can flip legion into adanto. But everything else got better going into WAR, and nothing since rotation has been as good as History of Ben, Marshall, or Legions Landing.

Unsanctioned full reveal

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Unsanctioned previews!

721396_v2.jpg

721393_v2.jpg

721398_v2.jpg

721386_v2.jpg

721387_v2.jpg

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see wordy return. Hell, I wouldn't mind seeing it move to standard, too... give me a cheap answer to Questing Beast.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Love Stet and Alexander Clamilton.

Note that every card is revealed in the Cracked article. Some I like.
721388_v2.jpg

Sad to see Infernal Spawn of Evil so old, but he's had a good life.

721389_v2.jpg

721395_v2.jpg

Mutate is probably an Ikoria mechanic.

721390_v2.jpg

Seems fun. Also, bird without flying.

Among the reprints, only Timmy, Power Gamer has new art. There is a new Giant Teddy Bear token, though.
721381_v2.jpg

721382_v2.jpg

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
The normal frame lands all have squirrels formed by the landscape.

721375_v2.jpg

Clouds form a lunging squirrel

721379_v2.jpg

Landscape forms a squirrel laying down

721376_v2.jpg

Fallen leaves to the bottom left form a standing hunched over squirrel

721374_v2.jpg

To the right of the central mountain, you can see a squirrel poking its head out.

721373_v2.jpg

The negative space between trees forms a leaping squirrel.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Clamilton is great. But there better also be an Aaron Bird. I'll also accept Heron Burr.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

en_Vjkr3Z1lzl.png

Reminder text update got updated. Now it 100% is actually the Hokey Pokey. Art was made for the previous wrong dance, though.

en_jN4PpcNyLO.png

I like how they updated the wording.

en_Nn7U69OODi.png

I forgot about this errata.

en_TuysSGO6gN.png

Updated text.

en_PeM9znhxHV.png

Weird, I don't remember this art. Checking, this was a promo variant. Flavor text was updated, of course.

en_N84t8SSKOj.png

For those worried, still the same look.

en_9vT01n3Wbl.png

I like the bite marks with the new frame.

en_1oUECBcUOW.png

Doesn't look great in the new frame.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's hilarious how WotC's solution to White being bad in Pioneer is to just give it Splinter Twin.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
It's hilarious how WotC's solution to White being bad in Pioneer is to just give it Splinter Twin.
Looks like that's not even enough, UB with Inverter of Truth + Thassa's Oracle/Jace is the good version of a two card combo that a lot of pros are going to be on this weekend. Will be interesting to see how the format does with serious tournaments incentivising proper deckbuilding rather than meme Niv stuff.

Feb 16, 2018
don't think anything in this set was designed with any thought towards pioneer
there's a time delay on how they operate. should start seeing some stuff with the next set or two, but mostly with zendikar forward

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
I am bad at magic and don't know what Simic means. Please help.

There's in universe factions for every color combination that people randomly interchange with the actual colors when describing decks.

The 2 color combos all come from the guilds of Ravnica;
white/blue = azorius
white/black = orzhov
white/red = boros
white/green = selesnya
blue/black = dimir
blue/red = izzit
blue/green = simic
black/red = rakdos
black/green = golgari
red/green = gruul

The allied shards come from Alara;
white/blue/black = esper
blue/black/red = grixis
black/red/green = jund
red/green/white = naya
green/white/blue = bant

The enemy wedges come from the clans of Tarkir;
white/blue/red = jeskai
blue/black/green = sultai
black/red/white = mardu
red/green/blue = temur
green/white/black = abzan

There's also 4 color combinations (glint, dune, ink, witch, yore) but I don't think they were canonically codified yet, they just appeared multiple times on cards of those colors, so they might change to something else whenever they come back up as part of a set's theme. There was also a lot of player slang that still also gets substituted in sometimes from before some colors had official names, like bug (sultai), rug (temur), patriot (jeskai), or junk (abzan).

So like a 'Esper Control' deck is gonna have blue, white, and black cards and focus around controlling the board and powerful late game plays. 'Simic Ramp' is a green/blue deck that gets a lot of mana fast to do degenerate things. 'Junk Superfriends' is the same as 'Abzan Superfriends' and would be a green, white, and black deck that plays a lot of planeswalkers. Rakdos Aggro, Izzit Draw/Go, Mardu Knights, you get the idea.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
Green Blue decks. Current flavor is to ramp up available mana to do gross things in one turn and the other is to use flash creatures and instants in response to their ops moves.
There's in universe factions for every color combination that people randomly interchange with the actual colors when describing decks.

The 2 color combos all come from the guilds of Ravnica;
white/blue = azorius
white/black = orzhov
white/red = boros
white/green = selesnya
blue/black = dimir
blue/red = izzit
blue/green = simic
black/red = rakdos
black/green = golgari
red/green = gruul

The allied shards come from Alara;
white/blue/black = esper
blue/black/red = grixis
black/red/green = jund
red/green/white = naya
green/white/blue = bant

The enemy wedges come from the clans of Tarkir;
white/blue/red = jeskai
blue/black/green = sultai
black/red/white = mardu
red/green/blue = temur
green/white/black = abzan

There's also 4 color combinations (glint, dune, ink, witch, yore) but I don't think they were canonically codified yet, they just appeared multiple times on cards of those colors, so they might change to something else whenever they come back up as part of a set's theme. There was also a lot of player slang that still also gets substituted in sometimes from before some colors had official names, like bug (sultai), rug (temur), patriot (jeskai), or junk (abzan).

So like a 'Esper Control' deck is gonna have blue, white, and black cards and focus around controlling the board and powerful late game plays. 'Simic Ramp' is a green/blue deck that gets a lot of mana fast to do degenerate things. 'Junk Superfriends' is the same as 'Abzan Superfriends' and would be a green, white, and black deck that plays a lot of planeswalkers. Rakdos Aggro, Izzit Draw/Go, Mardu Knights, you get the idea.
It's izzet

At least get that one right

Thanks all.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
I miss old naming systems like Bug, Sligh, rug etc. Then deck names based on breakfast like Fruity Pebbles or just you know unique deck names like Ponza, The Rock, and Stax.

Maybe that's why im making my final smelly run at diamond tonight with Stax.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like that's not even enough, UB with Inverter of Truth + Thassa's Oracle/Jace is the good version of a two card combo that a lot of pros are going to be on this weekend. Will be interesting to see how the format does with serious tournaments incentivising proper deckbuilding rather than meme Niv stuff.
Thassa's Oracle combo control scares the hell out of me. There's basically no safety valves beyond counter magic.

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
Wizards tanked 98% of my interest in pro magic over the past year or two, but Pioneer is good/new/interesting enough to be part of that 2%

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
though I think the format would be better with Heliod + Thassa's Oracle bans, think the format was better before those simple two-card combos existed

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

* They considered making Blood Aspirant one mana, but if it was going to hit Constructed, they'd rather it be a build around than something any red aggro deck would slot in.
* Tectonic Giant was a 4/4 that dealt 3 damage or temporarily drew a card, but only the first was being chosen. They made the draw stronger and weakened the first ability by making the creature 3/4, putting less pressure on being pure aggro.
* They wanted Phoenix of Ash to die and escape multiple times in a match, so they made it low cost. As a 2/2, players weren't bothering to kill it, so they gave it fire-breathing.
* Ox of Agonas was originally an uncommon (with weaker stats), but it turned heads, so they beefed it up and made it a mythic.
* Wolfwillow Haven could have activated its wolf ability at any time for Constructed, but they restricted it to your turn for Limited. It also sounds like they'll generally use "activate only on your turn" instead of "sorcery speed" in the future, since it's shorter.
* They had trouble making The Binding of the Titans interesting.
* Arasta of the Endless Web originally triggered on any noncreature spell, but they feared that would push it into every green deck, rather than as a solution against spell heavy decks.
* Haktos the Unscarred went from 2RW 5/1 -> RRWW 6/1 to prevent it from being combined with counterspells, even if they felt that deck was unlikely.
* The Titans originally had weaker stats but stronger ETB abilities. Kroxa destroyed a creature an opponent controls at random. However, that emphasized the ETB too much and not the big creature part.
* Shadowspear is them experimenting with equipment with normal activated abilities.
* Dream Trawler went through a lot of changes. The goal was a quick finisher for control decks, but not too quick. They find that quick finishers are better than slow grinds.
* Enigmatic Incarnation had a Birthing Pod style activation cost, but as they put more restrictions on the timing, they realized it could just be a triggered ability.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I can't even find coverage of the PT Pioneer by googling 'pro tour brussels'. The event coverage page just has old tournament results.

That's how bad Wizards are fucking up.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
though I think the format would be better with Heliod + Thassa's Oracle bans, think the format was better before those simple two-card combos existed
Disagree. While they're both strong, they don't really seem to be overwhelming the rest of the format. Heliod/Ballista is incredibly easy to deal with, and while Inverter Oracle is scary, it's not unbeatable.

Status
Not open for further replies.