• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Liking Ken Yukuhiro's WB Auras deck at PT Nagoya.

EDIT: LOL GIDS

Last edited:

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Got my lair of the rat, this is one of the better lairs imo, the cards look amazing. Also the interior of the lair boxes are red for this, which threw me off, the rest are all matte black everywhere, but I think the color looks nice and kind of more 'premium' in a sense. Got Arlinn for my PW (rip)
EDIT: Although looks like it's just her sarkhan teyo and ral, so I'm happy to have her over the other 3 at least (Teyo and Ral were already in the other lairs, anjd I just don't care about sarkhan)

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Truly can't overstate how sick I am of simic+ or mono blue decks that are middling outside of a ramp to playing agent of treachery 12 times in one turn. Is this really fun? So many either boring ass games that you just hope to draw enough damage that can resolve to kill them before you know its coming, or games that are actually fun back and forths until they drop an agent and a fun game just feels like it turned into a big waste of time.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, got a quick question about what you think of counterspells in casual commander games.

Basically I was playing some casual commander with my Yarok deck yesterday, which has around 5 counterspells in total. I got "lucky" and ended up getting most of the counterspells in the deck during one of the games. I ended up winning that game pretty dominantly, in part because I was able to counter spell the few big threat cards that the other players played.

No one complained about it or seemed upset at all. However I honestly felt like maybe having 5 counterspells in a casually oriented deck is a bit much? Especially if I get lucky and draw most of them. Obviously I can just take them out, but I figured I'd just ask if anyone here have any thoughts on counter spells in casual commander games

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
No one complained about it or seemed upset at all. However I honestly felt like maybe having 5 counterspells in a casually oriented deck is a bit much? Especially if I get lucky and draw most of them. Obviously I can just take them out, but I figured I'd just ask if anyone here have any thoughts on counter spells in casual commander games

I think a couple casual counterspells in commander is fine - Yarok's admittedly got amazing colors anyways, but there are some commanders/decks that can just go off and win, even in non c-edh games.

Wort, raidmother, for example, or something like Gitrog combo - yes, theoretically you hit them before they can get enough time to win, but if politics prevent that, or you look like the 'bad guy' (or heck, even FEEL like the bad guy), having a counterspell or two is gonna save your life.

I think there's a difference between having a couple of counterspells, and something like a GAAIV-stax or other types of draw-go decks who just want to stop anyone else from playing anything, and/or durdle around until they win by taking a 20+ minute turn while everyone else turns to their phones.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
Hey, got a quick question about what you think of counterspells in casual commander games.

Basically I was playing some casual commander with my Yarok deck yesterday, which has around 5 counterspells in total. I got "lucky" and ended up getting most of the counterspells in the deck during one of the games. I ended up winning that game pretty dominantly, in part because I was able to counter spell the few big threat cards that the other players played.

There are far more obnoxious things you can do in a commander game than counter a thing here and there.

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN
It's also how you counter things. Immediately countering their 3-4 drop commander when they aren't even close to being set up is going to paint you as a jerk/target versus countering a game ending Craterhoof or whatever. Same thing for removal; one time I hit a Meren with Imprisoned In The Moon on turn 3 and they proceeded to target me the entire game. I mean yeah they were going to start doing degenerate shit the next turn but still, probably should've held off.

Oct 25, 2017
On the limited front: I love this draft format so much. If I'm being honest, the only thing that looks like could keep it from being an all-timer is the overwhelming amount of black you end up playing since black is so incredibly deep compared to the other colors. But this format is so much fun to play. It's grindy, it rewards saving your removal and playing towards the end game, using your life as a resource, the drafts are as far from on rails as we've seen in years, the whole nine yards. It feels like a draft format that actually requires you to apply all the lessons you've been taught about the "right" way to draft.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Green is also very deep. Chimera and typhon are premium creatures, the 5/3 that gives trample is good too. Then you have the fight aura, the better divination, and I'm missing a few other great green commons.

Oct 25, 2017
I have to be honest; when I first heard of the Inverter combo it sounded like a total meme. It's amazing to me how effective it is.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Thoughtseize is an abomination of a card. I know I've defended it in the past but I was wrong.
Standard: Turn 1 opponent tosses down a Temple of Deceit/Watery Grave:

Q3acYKJ.jpg

At least Thought Erasure takes an extra turn to get out...

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Dig Through Time is the card everyone has their sights on for a ban if one happens.

Because it's a really fucking stupid card.

Oct 25, 2017
Dig Through Time is the card everyone has their sights on for a ban if one happens.

Because it's a really fucking stupid card.

When they first announced the format I expected Dig and Cruise to be DOA. I'm surprised they're still in to be honest; although I guess Cruise is just lacking a Shell right now.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
You know, I don't think I've played Opt or Shock in Standard, ever, and I've been playing since Urza. They're bad even in Standard's terms.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After a way-too-long match against a Simic Uro deck, it was nice to get the drop on him:

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The inverter combo deck seem super gross. Any chance WotC will ban something to make it less powerful?

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN
I'm not a huge tutor person myself, only running Wordly, Sidisi and Mystical in a deck each. I just think it's stupid that a non-RL card from fucking Starter of all sets is $200+.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
From watching the PT, I think the Inverter deck is super skill-intensive. You can make a lot of easy mistakes if you're not careful with your line of plays. I wouldn't ban the combo pieces, but Thoughtseize is a massive flag in my view. It almost single-handedly makes mono black the best aggro deck and overall most played deck, which is pretty telling.

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I actively no longer use any. All they do is make the deck samey and boring and I lose interest very quickly.

I'd say it just depends on how concrete your win conditions are. I run a bunch of tutors but the vast manjority of the time they're just getting something relevant to the board right now. Like a board wipe or artifact removal or a stax piece. Tutors are only especially strong if you're trying to combo win, which my playgroup doesn't find particularly fun.

A_Dang

Oct 27, 2017
Western New York
One of my buddies has a Mizzix deck that I just won't play against because his clock is 4 or 5 turns almost every game, regardless of his opening hand. I'd rather goldfish my deck than try to race against it.

A_Dang

Oct 27, 2017
Western New York
You could try adding some interaction to your deck to stop him. Mizzix decks are glass cannons.

Unless I'm running a counter deck I'm never going to have enough interaction to stop that deck. That kind of game isn't fun for me.

I will note that this is specifically for playing one on one, the Mizzix deck is way too fragile in multiplayer. That said, I really really really don't like multiplayer games of commander.

Oct 28, 2017
Unless I'm running a counter deck I'm never going to have enough interaction to stop that deck. That kind of game isn't fun for me.

I will note that this is specifically for playing one on one, the Mizzix deck is way too fragile in multiplayer. That said, I really really really don't like multiplayer games of commander.

You can do it with normal removal to clear Mizzix and his artifact ramp. Some stax effects might help too to slow it. Tax effects (like Thalia), cards time shit down artifacts like Stony Silence and Collector Ouphe, and cards that prevent casting like Gaddock Teague and Rule of Law.

At the end of the day, a combo deck isn't particularly strong in 1v1. You just need to run some cards to deal with it. If you don't, of course it's going to annihilate you every time.

I hope this post doesn't come off as hostile. Just trying to help! Banning your friend's deck seems like an extreme measure so I'd like to help you avoid that necessity.

Status
Not open for further replies.