• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

A_Dang

Oct 27, 2017
Western New York
You can do it with normal removal to clear Mizzix and his artifact ramp. Some stax effects might help too to slow it. Tax effects (like Thalia), cards time shit down artifacts like Stony Silence and Collector Ouphe, and cards that prevent casting like Gaddock Teague and Rule of Law.

At the end of the day, a combo deck isn't particularly strong in 1v1. You just need to run some cards to deal with it. If you don't, of course it's going to annihilate you every time.

I hope this post doesn't come off as hostile. Just trying to help! Banning your friend's deck seems like an extreme measure so I'd like to help you avoid that necessity.

You aren't coming off as hostile at all!

I've played against the deck with my Atraxa, Karametra, Mina and Denn decks (which are all my most dialed in decks), as well as a few other ones I've tossed together. I already have the reputation of making decks that aren't fun to play against (Atraxa has a bad rap just because I run a semi-reliable land base, Karametra has some soft stax effects, but nothing too oppressive, and Mina is essentially a Valakut deck with some land destruction), which is why I've avoided going full Stax. I don't want to build a deck just to try to slow down Mizzix. It's easier for him and I to just play one vs. one games with other decks.

Again, if I'm actually playing a multiplayer game and he uses Mizzix I wouldn't care at all.

I would also argue that combo decks in a one vs. one setting tend to perform better than in multiplayer. Dealing with only one players worth of counters or other interaction is way easier.

Oct 28, 2017
You aren't coming off as hostile at all!

I've played against the deck with my Atraxa, Karametra, Mina and Denn decks (which are all my most dialed in decks), as well as a few other ones I've tossed together. I already have the reputation of making decks that aren't fun to play against (Atraxa has a bad rap just because I run a semi-reliable land base, Karametra has some soft stax effects, but nothing too oppressive, and Mina is essentially a Valakut deck with some land destruction), which is why I've avoided going full Stax. I don't want to build a deck just to try to slow down Mizzix. It's easier for him and I to just play one vs. one games with other decks.

Again, if I'm actually playing a multiplayer game and he uses Mizzix I wouldn't care at all.

I would also argue that combo decks in a one vs. one setting tend to perform better than in multiplayer. Dealing with only one players worth of counters or other interaction is way easier.

In my experience multiplayer combo decks are misplayed. Of course they're weaker if you just try to combo immediately. A smart combo player will time it to slip in the win once everyone else burns their resources. In 1v1, that doesn't happen as often.

Those stax effects I mentioned are good against everyone. I definitely wouldn't run cards just to counter it.

I'd put a bunch of artifact destruction in Mina and Denn. I'd also run Red Elemental Blastand Pyroblast as they will almost always have targets. Collector Ouphe also.

Mostly the same for Karametra but also the white stax stuff I mentioned.

Atraxa can just run More removal.

A_Dang

Oct 27, 2017
Western New York
In my experience multiplayer combo decks are misplayed. Of course they're weaker if you just try to combo immediately. A smart combo player will time it to slip in the win once everyone else burns their resources. In 1v1, that doesn't happen as often.

Those stax effects I mentioned are good against everyone. I definitely wouldn't run cards just to counter it.

I'd put a bunch of artifact destruction in Mina and Denn. I'd also run Red Elemental Blastand Pyroblast as they will almost always have targets. Collector Ouphe also.

Mostly the same for Karametra but also the white stax stuff I mentioned.

Atraxa can just run More removal.

I'm totally tracking with you. Again, the main thing for me is that I'm mostly interested in playing 1v1, which means I'd end up just meta gaming his deck by either making a new one or heavily altering an existing one. Neither of those options are that appealing, so we just play with him using one of his many other decks.

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN
Holy fuck I played the most miserable game of my EDH life last night. Brought my new/very rough Atla Palani egg deck to try out and proceeded to spend a fucking HOUR in a game where the dude had the Magus of the Disk + Darksteel Plate combo to wipe everything every turn but wouldn't just end me by attacking even though he had Kozilek and Ulamog out. Dude just needed to attack me twice but just wouldn't and I couldn't even scoop early (house rules). Once I was the last one left I just scooped anyway and found a new table.

On the plus side I played a game with my Ayula deck and proceeded to terrorize everyone with a beefed up River Bear holding a Blade of Selves. Nothing like being the Archenemy with vanilla monocolored creatures.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Holy fuck I played the most miserable game of my EDH life last night. Brought my new/very rough Atla Palani egg deck to try out and proceeded to spend a fucking HOUR in a game where the dude had the Magus of the Disk + Darksteel Plate combo to wipe everything every turn but wouldn't just end me by attacking even though he had Kozilek and Ulamog out. Dude just needed to attack me twice but just wouldn't and I couldn't even scoop early (house rules). Once I was the last one left I just scooped anyway and found a new table.

On the plus side I played a game with my Ayula deck and proceeded to terrorize everyone with a beefed up River Bear holding a Blade of Selves. Nothing like being the Archenemy with vanilla monocolored creatures.

What kind of ungodly house rule doesn't let you scoop in a game where you're locked down and not having any fun? Jesus. You should either stop playing with that group, or complain loudly to the source of that rule.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Honestly? I'd never play with that person again. That's cruel and unusual play and I wouldn't stand for it.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Combo decks are strongest in 1v1... Unless life totals are 20. Maybe.

I know it's 'unofficial', but Isn't French 1v1 30 life? Or did they revert that?

Somewhat on topic, I think there's always a feels-bad part when a player tries to combo off, but can't 'guarantee' they find the last piece because they have to dig for it, and then it devolves into a 10 minute waiting game as they meander through their turn.

One of my buddies used to run a Melek deck, which basically sat on its butt and did nothing while keeping a couple of counter spells/bounces to prevent early knockout, and eventually just copied a bunch of 'create X copies of Y artifact' cards to copy guilded lotuses and/or mana geyser-type cards, and tried to basically combo out with burn.

It wasn't necessarily bad to play in theory, but when he would kinda-sorta signal he was gonna win, but then spend 10 minutes draw/shuffle/ponder hopping, not win, but have enough mana to hold the board hostage and just do it again next turn, it got real old real fast.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
3okgqc.jpg

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's 'unofficial', but Isn't French 1v1 30 life? Or did they revert that?
IIRC they tried 20 life at one point, but as it turns out it made Vial Smasher too good with any blue partner, since you could win quickly with counter/draw and lava axe people, with the random part not being a drawback anymore. Thrasios and Tymna are also really problematic in 1v1.

Partner was a mistake.

Feb 16, 2018
What would you like to see come off?

i want to see more stuff added to it

i can't really imagine the logic that makes oracle/lotusfield okay and copter/nexus/field/oath not okay
even oko would do basically nothing against these combo decks

of those, copter's the only one i'd actually want unbanned. the format was much more enjoyable when copter was elevating the decks that play normal creatures and normal magic cards

i don't want felidar unbanned, but it was much easier to interact with that than these new combos. the deck was broken because of mana confluence / elves / once upon a time making it really fast, but half its winrate came from people just playing really bad decks against it during week 1 and 2. unlike oracle, felidar saheeli was stopped by most removal

Barrin

Dec 12, 2017
5 more Secret Lair drops from 2/14-16. Seems like a lot in the span of a few months.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
i want to see more stuff added to it

i can't really imagine the logic that makes oracle/lotusfield okay and copter/nexus/field/oath not okay
even oko would do basically nothing against these combo decks

of those, copter's the only one i'd actually want unbanned. the format was much more enjoyable when copter was elevating the decks that play normal creatures and normal magic cards

i don't want felidar unbanned, but it was much easier to interact with that than these new combos. the deck was broken because of mana confluence / elves / once upon a time making it really fast, but half its winrate came from people just playing really bad decks against it during week 1 and 2. unlike oracle, felidar saheeli was stopped by most removal
Copter being unbanned just makes mono-Black even better than other aggro decks than it already is, IMO.

Otherwise, I kinda feel you. WotC's gotten a lot more relaxed about printing pushed combo cards, with THB adding at least three of the damn things, and at some point we're going to start having another Urza moment.

Don't think either Dimir Inverter or Underworld Breach needs a ban yet, but their success is frightening.

Last edited:

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
Port the collection I've been maintaining for almost 18 years from MTGO to Arena and I'll never touch MTGO again.

Until that day, however...

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Cut MTGO off at its knees then accuse it of failing.

Not like we all didn't call this. I swear this company is so transparent at times.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

Promo Voltaic Key, comes with next volume of the manga Destroy All Humanity, It Can't Be Regenerated

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
What is the best way to build a viable standard deck in arena? I've played two drafts three drafts and hit 6, 5, and 7 wins so I'm pretty flush with gems.

Do I just craft the cards that i want with these wildcards?

What does the meta look l like on here and how do i win packs that aren't theros beyond death?

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What is the best way to build a viable standard deck in arena? I've played two drafts three drafts and hit 6, 5, and 7 wins so I'm pretty flush with gems.

What does the meta look l like on here and how do i win packs that aren't theros beyond death?
Yes to wildcards. Packs are bought with coins, no idea on the meta atm

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017

World Championship XXVI is this weekend, I think there's an event going on right now in Arena where you can try all the finalists' decks without crafting cards.
You can find the meta decks here: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/standard#paper

I think you can only win current-set packs

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
World Championship XXVI is this weekend, I think there's an event going on right now in Arena where you can try all the finalists' decks without crafting cards.
You can find the meta decks here: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/standard#paper

I think you can only win current-set packs

I've been playing the event a bit, and I don't understand how the Wilderness Reclamation/Uro deck is supposed beat the Mono R Aggro deck. It seems too slow for the lifegain to counter the speed of the R deck. I'm usually dead on board with a bunch of Temples finally untapping.

robox

Nov 10, 2017

If you got the gems and are able and willing to grind nearly daily, the mastery pass is good value. Get both theros and previous sets' packs, gems, gold, and random rare cards.

Feb 16, 2018
I've been playing the event a bit, and I don't understand how the Wilderness Reclamation/Uro deck is supposed beat the Mono R Aggro deck. It seems too slow for the lifegain to counter the speed of the R deck. I'm usually dead on board with a bunch of Temples finally untapping.

it gets a bit better after sideboards. monored benefits a bit more than other decks from playing best of 1

but mostly the event is weird because arena smooths out the hands to usually let people get a fast start, and since it's best of 1 whoever gets to go first will almost always win

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Those constellation cards are very sweet looking, but hard pass. I'm sure there's some Theros-theme commander players that are feeling pretty good right now though.

But also! That seems like alot of cards for one artist to put out in the span of a set. 11 constellations in THB and then another 15 shortly after. I wonder if there's some massive compilation image hiding with the entire Theros pantheon. Now that's a playmat opportunity.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I literally just got a normal Athreos I bought as a single a week ago........

Still, I dunno, might get this, I don't have 14 out of 15 of these gods, and I've kinda been wanting to make a morophon god deck for commander. And if nothing else they would make for good cards to trade for other stuff I need

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I literally just got a normal Athreos I bought as a single a week ago........

Still, I dunno, might get this, I don't have 14 out of 15 of these gods, and I've kinda been wanting to make a morophon god deck for commander. And if nothing else they would make for good cards to trade for other stuff I need

you can trade?

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
Bought the Secret Lair set. I was missing most of the Gods from that block. The set doesn't even seem that far off singles pricing for the whole set.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, I'm tempted by the gods (especially if the planeswalker 'bonus' cards are still there), but 150 bucks is steep considering I'd only REALLY want Thassa, Xenagos, Iroas, Mogis, and Purphoros.

.....now I wonder if they'll do a god-set for Amonkhet as well.....

Status
Not open for further replies.