• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Can someone explain to me how standard cycles work now? I was researching this block but apparently blocks aren't a thing anymore.

Sorry, haven't played in like 8 years.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain to me how standard cycles work now? I was researching this block but apparently blocks aren't a thing anymore.

Sorry, haven't played in like 8 years.

Three expansion sets release each year + one core set. No small sets anymore, all sets are big standalone sets. The expansion sets for a given year may or may not be related in story or theme.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
www.polygon.com

Magic: The Gathering documentary on the way from the team behind The Toys That Made Us

Learn about the history of the original collectible card game

MaRo was asked about it yesterday and he had no idea it existed. So somehow they're making a Magic documentary without having talked to MaRo, which seems kind of impossible to me, unless they haven't actually interviewed people yet. Like I'm pretty sure even if they didn't ask MaRo directly, he'd yeet his way into the interview room. Or maybe the interview was so long ago he lost track.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
www.polygon.com

Magic: The Gathering documentary on the way from the team behind The Toys That Made Us

Learn about the history of the original collectible card game

MaRo was asked about it yesterday and he had no idea it existed. So somehow they're making a Magic documentary without having talked to MaRo, which seems kind of impossible to me, unless they haven't actually interviewed people yet. Like I'm pretty sure even if they didn't ask MaRo directly, he'd yeet his way into the interview room. Or maybe the interview was so long ago he lost track.
Yeah that seems...impossible? No matter what you think about Maro like, he's probably the single most involved person in Magic over its entire history out of anyone on the planet.

Challenger Decks 2020 lists
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
magic.wizards.com

Challenger Decks 2020 | MAGIC: THE GATHERING

New Challenger Decks are coming April 3. Get a look at what each deck will contain here.

April Challenger Decks announced

Jeskai Fires of Invention with 4x Fires, 4x Narset, 1x Kenrith

Golgari Adventure with 4x Lovestruck Beast, 4x Innkeeper, 1x Fabled Passage

Monored Cavalcade with 4x Cavalcade, 1x Embercleave

Simic Flash with 4x Nightpack Ambusher, 1x Brazen Borrower, 1x Fabled Passage

Current value of Challenger Decks:
Jeskai Fires: $75
GB Adventures: $97
Mono-Red: $106
Simic Flash: $106

Seems like an increase over last year, when only one deck was worth more than $75.

Last edited:

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
Fuck yeah PV did it!

Insta picked him last week.

Yeaaaaah. Good job! Finally got your worlds.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
The finals were pretty interesting. The very last game came down to Marcio flopping with a super risky hand he really should have mulliganed.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
Last game was super tilt. I don't know what his thought process was keeping that hand. Then Magic had to be Magic and give him 4 cavaliers in a row.

Come on PV go thank LSV. He your bro.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Keeping bad hands is one of those things that hurts more than anything else in Magic.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017

I think they are quickly going to find this new ad hoc ban policy is not sustainable. People will be asking constantly.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Saturday at my LGS was filled with people complaining about Thassa's Oracle combo.

I really don't see the Pioneer combo meta staying for more than a couple more months without people abandoning the format in droves.

Why did these chucklefucks print a Red Yawgmoth's Will in a standard legal set again?

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
Saturday at my LGS was filled with people complaining about Thassa's Oracle combo.

I really don't see the Pioneer combo meta staying for more than a couple more months without people abandoning the format in droves.

Why did these chucklefucks print a Red Yawgmoth's Will in a standard legal set again?

what is more Fun Inviting Replayable and Exciting than a red Yawgmoth's Will that doesn't exile the cards played?

print Throne -> ruin all formats -> make a new good format -> create three ~top-tier instant-win combo decks with the very next set

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
what is more Fun Inviting Replayable and Exciting than a red Yawgmoth's Will that doesn't exile the cards played?

print Throne -> ruin all formats -> make a new good format -> create three ~top-tier instant-win combo decks with the very next set
The worst part is I keep seeing people blame the problem on Pioneer's lack of efficient interaction. That seems reasonable until you remember that Inverter Oracle wins with two ETB abilities protected by Thoughtsieze, while Lotus Breach plays out of the graveyard. The best way to beat these decks is to go under them; Lotus Breach's worst matchup is mono-Red aggro, while Inverter Oracle's is... Lotus Breach.

I feel like all the stupid Modern Twin fans just grabbed onto "the next Twin" and are reluctant to admit that Inverter Oracle is basically everything they claimed Twin wasn't.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's too early to ban stuff after 2 events very close together. It probably doesn't help that there was a long period of no real events and everyone was getting away with playing bad decks. If you want a format to be supported it's going to have best decks, and the answer isn't constant bannings.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Leyline of the Void
Rule of Law
Alpine Moon

There are so many hate cards. The reason Breach did well was because people didn't expect it. It's a far more fair combo deck than Twin.

Feb 16, 2018
I think it's too early to ban stuff after 2 events very close together. It probably doesn't help that there was a long period of no real events and everyone was getting away with playing bad decks. If you want a format to be supported it's going to have best decks, and the answer isn't constant bannings.

having best decks is fine, but the situation is a bit dire because the best 3 decks (65% of the meta) are all combo decks
and then you have a tutor-for-emrakul deck taking up 10% of the remainder

and then you have the finance side where nobody knows what decks to buy because you either buy something that gets banned or something that's underpowered. since the format is new, the delay on any statement about what is or isn't going to be legal hurts because so many people are looking to buy their first deck

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
having best decks is fine, but the situation is a bit dire because the best 3 decks (65% of the meta) are all combo decks
and then you have a tutor-for-emrakul deck taking up 10% of the remainder

and then you have the finance side where nobody knows what decks to buy because you either buy something that gets banned or something that's underpowered. since the format is new, the delay on any statement about what is or isn't going to be legal hurts because so many people are looking to buy their first deck
Combo decks are always going to be at their best right after being discovered. Dig should probably be banned but I don't think Wizards need to rush into anything.

I agree the approach to announcements is really poor. Even when something doesn't need banning the community discourse is going to continue to be shit, and Wizards will have created the environment themselves through a combination of poor policy and 2019s card mistakes.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Combo decks are always going to be at their best right after being discovered. Dig should probably be banned but I don't think Wizards need to rush into anything.

I agree the approach to announcements is really poor. Even when something doesn't need banning the community discourse is going to continue to be shit, and Wizards will have created the environment themselves through a combination of poor policy and 2019s card mistakes.
There's nothing to suggest those mistakes stopped in 2020. The two best decks are based around Theros cards.

Dig is a problem, but at this point I honestly think it's a scapegoat for the horrific design of Thassa's Oracle. There's a reason the deck basically was non-existent when all it had was Jace.

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
I support banning Oracle and Breach because they're intrinsically dumb cards (Oracle because it's a two-mana win con you can't interact with outside of counterspells, Breach because duh), not because it's "necessary." The format just isn't better off with them in it. The old standards for banning applied when Wizards didn't just print 10 of these cards a year.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Something hilarious about Thassa's Oracle: In the article "Word Heist: A Theros Beyond Death Caper", Mark Gottlieb talks about how a huge effort was made to reduce the wordiness of Theros Beyond Death cards. The article ends by showing the wordiest card in the set, Thassa's Oracle, where Gottlieb talks about how despite their efforts they decided cutting any of the text would hurt the card.

Which means that WotC decided Thassa's Oracle needed the win trigger to still go off on an empty board. Apparently removing the "or equal to" part of the trigger and allowing instant speed removal to stuff the effect just wasn't an option.

cdViking

Oct 28, 2017
Don't know what it is, but I feel like I get back into Magic this time of year every year, and have been getting deep into Theros draft on Arena.

I really, really like the lower power level, and Escape is one of my favorite limited mechanics in a long time. That said, black is ridiculously overpowered and the bots seem miscalibrated (getting Final Death 6th/7th, lifelink 4/4 rare as late as 6th, and drafting 6 NIghtmare Shepherds in 9 or 10 drafts). The play quality in traditional (bo3 unranked) also seems... suspect lol, and I'm near even in terms of gems after 9 or 10 drafts despite making some pretty bone-headed mistakes that I'll chalk up to being rusty

I have a ton of wildcards and am considering whether to use them for this standard format. Reading up and Eldraine standard seems like it was miserable; is the current format improved post-banning? The current flavor of Azorius control seems less oppressive than when Dominaria was around, and Jeskai Fires looks fun to pilot.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't know what it is, but I feel like I get back into Magic this time of year every year, and have been getting deep into Theros draft on Arena.

I really, really like the lower power level, and Escape is one of my favorite limited mechanics in a long time. That said, black is ridiculously overpowered and the bots seem miscalibrated (getting Final Death 6th/7th, lifelink 4/4 rare as late as 6th, and drafting 6 NIghtmare Shepherds in 9 or 10 drafts). The play quality in traditional (bo3 unranked) also seems... suspect lol, and I'm near even in terms of gems after 9 or 10 drafts despite making some pretty bone-headed mistakes that I'll chalk up to being rusty

I have a ton of wildcards and am considering whether to use them for this standard format. Reading up and Eldraine standard seems like it was miserable; is the current format improved post-banning? The current flavor of Azorius control seems less oppressive than when Dominaria was around, and Jeskai Fires looks fun to pilot.
Improved, sure, because there was no way it could get worse.

If you're asking if it's good or bad, I think it's still terrible. It's just up to a 3 on a 1-10 scale, whereas post-Field, pre-Oko ban was a 1 and pre-Field ban was a 1.5.

cdViking

Oct 28, 2017
Improved, sure, because there was no way it could get worse.

If you're asking if it's good or bad, I think it's still terrible. It's just up to a 3 on a 1-10 scale, whereas post-Field, pre-Oko ban was a 1 and pre-Field ban was a 1.5.
So what you're saying is, there's never been a better time!

In all seriousness, I guess I'll have to watch some vids to see if it's at all appealing.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
Standard is good right now. Your deck has to have an end game plan though or the best strategies will just go over the top of you, 3 colour good stuff piles aren't so hot. I've been having a lot of fun with Temur Clover.

Jumpstart announced; Commander 2020 deck names
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
magic.wizards.com

Introducing Jumpstart: A New Way to Play Magic | MAGIC: THE GATHERING

Jumpstart is an innovative play experience that draws on the best parts of Limited and Constructed Magic.

Jumpstart is a new booster product with 20 cards that all work together with a single theme, ex: Goblins, Garruk, Doctor. You take two booster packs and put them together into a 40-card deck.

Copypasting:
  • Each booster contains 20 cards centered on a theme. What theme each booster contains is randomized, but each themed 20 cards will be sealed inside the pack and labled.
  • One in three boosters includes an extra rare.
  • It's loaded with reprints—almost 500!
  • Jumpstart introduces 37 new cards to the game. These will not be Standard-, Pioneer-, or Modern-legal cards. They are legal in Legacy, Vintage, and Commander.
  • It's closely tied to Core Set 2021—they share a lot of content and release near one another—but Jumpstart is a stand-alone product.
  • All cards are legal in Eternal formats (Legacy, Vintage, and Commander)
  • Every pack includes one basic land with art that matches the pack's theme. A few of them use thematically appropriate lands from M21, but most of them use brand-new themed land art created for Jumpstart.
And because Prereleases are fun, we're going to be holding a Prerelease for Jumpstart June 20-21! Check with your local stores to see if you can sign up for a Jumpstart event.

We also plan to bring this fun play experience to MTG Arena sometime this year!

Like Jumpstart itself, Prereleases for this product are going to be a little bit different.

Jumpstart Prereleases will be run all day. Each player will get two Jumpstart boosters to create a deck and then they just—play. Play enough matches, get a promo card. And if you want to jump back in? Hey, go right ahead. You may even earn another promo.

End copypaste

Stream confirmed that while this is coming to Arena, this is NOT coming to MTGO.

And we have names for the Ikoria-themed Commander 2020 decks
unknown.png

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
magic.wizards.com

Introducing Jumpstart: A New Way to Play Magic | MAGIC: THE GATHERING

Jumpstart is an innovative play experience that draws on the best parts of Limited and Constructed Magic.

Jumpstart is a new booster product with 20 cards that all work together with a single theme, ex: Goblins, Garruk, Doctor. You take two booster packs and put them together into a 40-card deck.

Copypasting:
  • Each booster contains 20 cards centered on a theme. What theme each booster contains is randomized, but each themed 20 cards will be sealed inside the pack and labled.
  • One in three boosters includes an extra rare.
  • It's loaded with reprints—almost 500!
  • Jumpstart introduces 37 new cards to the game. These will not be Standard-, Pioneer-, or Modern-legal cards. They are legal in Legacy, Vintage, and Commander.
  • It's closely tied to Core Set 2021—they share a lot of content and release near one another—but Jumpstart is a stand-alone product.
  • All cards are legal in Eternal formats (Legacy, Vintage, and Commander)
  • Every pack includes one basic land with art that matches the pack's theme. A few of them use thematically appropriate lands from M21, but most of them use brand-new themed land art created for Jumpstart.
And because Prereleases are fun, we're going to be holding a Prerelease for Jumpstart June 20-21! Check with your local stores to see if you can sign up for a Jumpstart event.

We also plan to bring this fun play experience to MTG Arena sometime this year!

Like Jumpstart itself, Prereleases for this product are going to be a little bit different.

Jumpstart Prereleases will be run all day. Each player will get two Jumpstart boosters to create a deck and then they just—play. Play enough matches, get a promo card. And if you want to jump back in? Hey, go right ahead. You may even earn another promo.

End copypaste

Stream confirmed that while this is coming to Arena, this is NOT coming to MTGO.

And we have names for the Ikoria-themed Commander 2020 decks
unknown.png
I have to get more info on this to see if it's anything I care about. 2 pack limited doesn't exactly scream fun to me as it takes away like... any deck building which is a huge draw for limited...

Always excited for reprints tho.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
I'm incredibly unexcited by yet another new kind of booster, especially one that has a giant chunk of cards that won't translate into any format i give a crap about.

At least it low-key implies Garruk is in magic 2021.

cdViking

Oct 28, 2017
Built a few meta decks last night for Arena, and it's easy to forget how many rares you need vs. mythics. It's also wild to me that a meta UX control deck doesn't have a single mythic in it hah. In any case, the whole crafting process did strike home how awesome Arena is in a vacuum; I have spent a fair amount of money (mainly because I am a fiend for all forms of limited), but the outlay is a fraction of the IRL cost of the three decks I built and I still have enough wildcards to complete the rest of the blue meta decks. Once you get that rare landbase put together, it's so much "cheaper" to craft a deck.

cdViking

Oct 28, 2017
I'm incredibly unexcited by yet another new kind of booster, especially one that has a giant chunk of cards that won't translate into any format i give a crap about.

At least it low-key implies Garruk is in magic 2021.
I'll give any form of limited a try, but can definitely see the lack of appeal to most folks. As unique as it sounds, it still doesn't sound all that interesting relative to something like Modern Horizons.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I get what you mean, anything with green splashed is just insane ramp right now with minimal effort, and of course green has like bomb cards in any other aspect of green which is a pretty far reaching section of the color pie, but it's not like there aren't other options.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Ikoria pictures from the Toy Fair

c7cs7iw5sji41.jpg

cs7sgsvusji41.jpg

ppdp2qoesji41.jpg

It seems collector boosters will have shiny packaging now.
The monster on the collector booster has a metal stump. I imagine this mechanically represents attaching monster parts to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.