• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ooof. I got hosed so fucking bad
tb2Y6qM.jpg

This is now my hall of shame in my binder
ydAnlJ6.jpg

Last edited:

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm the true winner here because I didn't spend any money on overpriced novelty products.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm the true winner here because I didn't spend any money on overpriced novelty products.
You're in a thread DEVOTED to an 'overpriced novelty product'

Secret Lairs have retained value well thus far, I'm fine with it. I don't care if you're not. Also, Ashodin I hate you so much right now haha

The three gideons at launch didn't bother me, but the rest since then are so bad for me.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of the lairs...I was throwing the gods in the binder and just noticed that the numbering on the set jumps 30 damn spots between year of the rat and Theros. What's up with that? I assume reddit noticed a week ago.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of the lairs...I was throwing the gods in the binder and just noticed that the numbering on the set jumps 30 damn spots between year of the rat and Theros. What's up with that? I assume reddit noticed a week ago.
They probably created Secret Lairs in a different order than they're releasing them.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, I'm jealous of you guys getting your stuff already - admittedly I ordered later, but my ship date is still estimated as 'March to April' 2020. :(

Barrin

Dec 12, 2017
Huatli, Angrath, Samut, Arlinn, and Narset were my planeswalkers. Narset is at least worth something but the rest suck. I've had shitty luck with them so far.

cdViking

Oct 28, 2017
Worst part about Arena is realizing that I might be really good at RDW. For those experienced with the ladder at this time of the season, how is play quality at platinum tier 4 and below? I've had a handful of ridiculously high win % play sessions, though it's always hard to tell how well you're really doing when some wins are 100% due to your opponents being terrible at combat math.

Secret Lair - International Woman's Day 2020
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
secretlair.wizards.com

Secret Lair: International Women's Day 2020 | Secret Lair

Wizards of the Coast is proud to celebrate International Women’s Day—honoring the social, economic, cultural, and political achievements of women around the world. We’ve selected a few of the most powerful and influential women from the history of Magic to receive new, borderless art by some of...
ERopBqtVUAAI_QM

$50, half goes to the Girl Scouts.
Coming in 12 days.

Oct 28, 2017
secretlair.wizards.com

Secret Lair: International Women's Day 2020 | Secret Lair

Wizards of the Coast is proud to celebrate International Women’s Day—honoring the social, economic, cultural, and political achievements of women around the world. We’ve selected a few of the most powerful and influential women from the history of Magic to receive new, borderless art by some of...
ERopBqtVUAAI_QM

$50, half goes to the Girl Scouts.
Coming in 12 days.

Unfortunately not really interested in any of these. I don't like the art too much. They should have done a Selvala or Marchesa.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I love the art of those tbh. I mean you knew I was in anyway, but I think that set looks way better than the theros gods

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
No Kess, Teysa or Atraxa. I guess Wizards hates money.

Atraxa and/or old Teysa would have been money in the baaaank for Wizards, even if Atrexa is relatively unknown.

Old Sisay is good for a toolbox commander, albeit one that is going to play out largely the same way, and Narset can be good (if one-note and will make no one want to play with you if you build the deck optimally) and I'll probably end up getting this drop because I have a Meren deck and to support the girl scouts, but it is a bit underwhelming.

Like....why Oona, of all ladies?

edit: WHERE'S MY OG KAALIA?!

(Or Yuriko)

Sick, can't wait to see it curling on the shelf.

Lol, too true.

Last edited:

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
They could sell an Atraxa by itself for $30 at least. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a bunch of EDH-specific drops at some point. Fancy Atraxas, Yaroks, Sorin Markovs, and so on.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Atraxa is the single most built deck on EDHrec I doubt she's unknown

Last I checked Muldrotha was highest, but I had indeed forgotten Atraxa was right up there - even if I meant moreso in the 'lore' sense than the played sense (referring to OG Teysa compared to something like Oona, not to Kaalia or Yuriko).

Worse comes to it, I throw Oona into my Yarok and/or Muldrotha deck I'm brewing, I suppose.

WotC has shown itself to be a pretty poor judge of what the EDH world needs.

A part of me still laughs when Gavin arguably overpromoted/promised good reprints in 2019, and/or when Wizard's solution to white's weakness is either 'everyone draws 1' or one-off cards like new Heliod happening to go infinite with walking ballista or triskelion. I'm glad we're getting commander legends, because not having at least a battlebond equivalent would have been rough.

Red has gotten a much arguably better bandage with cards like Dockside extortionist, Torban, and Embercleave, but even then I think it's still underrepresented - most non-cEDH mono-red decks I see (in my limited viewing, admittedly) are Krenko variants or OG Purphoros.

They could sell an Atraxa by itself for $30 at least. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a bunch of EDH-specific drops at some point. Fancy Atraxas, Yaroks, Sorin Markovs, and so on.

It's why I'm simultaneously very excited and kind of dreading Commander Legends.

Honestly, commander legends is why I think there won't be any significant 'high-demand' commander reprints in Secret Lairs - to the point where I'm mildly surprised we're seeing Meren. We'll probably see high-value and/or good commanders like Atraxa and other past commanders in the Legends set - I'd guess not 'all' of the past commanders will make it in, but several (probably excluding partners) will be included.

But on that note, I'm super, SUPER curious as to how they actually plan to make an official 'draft-viable' commander set - as 'official' drafts, in my (again, admittedly limited) experience have been way different from hand-picked commander cubes, which have a much 'bigger' selection of good/viable cards to throw in there and not have to worry about pack EV..

Presumably, there has to be a legend in every pack, similar to WotS' planeswalkers, but beyond that....I have no idea of how well Wizards is gonna pull this off.

cdViking

Oct 28, 2017
Tried Temur Adventures for several matches last night, and I might be in love. Resilient against decks across the normal aggro to control spectrum, I really can't see where the deck will falter outside of something somehow going over the top (Temur Reclamation).

I'm also blown away by how cheap it is to buy into standard. I have put ~$300 into Arena since the early days of the beta, but I finally cashed in my wildcards and was able to build almost all of the top 10 meta decks on mtggoldfish. I know it's weird to say "I only put multiple hundreds of dollars into a game and can play everything!", but it's an absolute pittance compared to what paper Magic/MTGO/Hearthstone cost.

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Ooooooooooooh, definitely getting that Thalia one! Her other promo arts have been kinda meh (both guardian of thraben and the EMN one) but these look a lot nicer.

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN
Just watched Game Knights and Curio wasn't on it, plus the price seems to be stabilizing at $40 so maybe it's just speculation?

GK totally bumped the price of Mirage Mirror though, I'd get on that for Commander decks in case the reprint takes a while.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like the Lair leak is officially revealed now:

twitter.com

MTG Secret Lair on Twitter

“An #MTGSecretLair drop, and Historic Anthology II on @MTG_Arena, is coming soon! Get ready eternal format players! More info here: https://t.co/KpQB8xs1O2”

Feb 16, 2018
sounds more like the next season is skipping draft. it's different from 4 old pro tours skipping it

each region's tournament is kind of part of the same PT

ikoria/m21 PT is modern + standard
zendikar PT is draft + standard

anyways, figuring out what coverage & competitive play should be is always a mess.

i think it might end up better if draft/sealed is the more competitive paper format and constructed moves towards arena. and then if broadcasts need to be on arena (and therefore focus on constructed), so be it

the way they design the game now, 99% of people are better off just finding the deck that's about to banned and play it until it gets banned (or hated out with sideboard cards). that's a really miserable routine for paper because the cards are too expensive. but it's less miserable on arena because it's basically free/cheap for regulars to just play one of the best decks

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Constructed coverage brings in more viewers and thus more exposure and money. It's simple math.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
I'm thinking of buying a box of Mystery Boosters for drafting. Feels like a good spot for some weird/fun drafts and also a nice way of getting some juicy bits for my ever growing pile of janky EDH decks.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

Banned and Restricted update announced for next week. Should have just done the announcement today, really.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I managed to try a Mystery Draft as PAX East - only managed to play one round, which was fun, but my second round opponent had to concede and I dropped after that. Which is too bad, because I managed to put together a solid deck.

But I finally went through my cards today and holy shit, the value is bonkers. I think I got ~$120 worth of cards out of six booster packs. Paid for my entry fee AND my ticket to the show itself. A lot of that was just luck, but still!

Oct 28, 2017
I managed to try a Mystery Draft as PAX East - only managed to play one round, which was fun, but my second round opponent had to concede and I dropped after that. Which is too bad, because I managed to put together a solid deck.

But I finally went through my cards today and holy shit, the value is bonkers. I think I got ~$120 worth of cards out of six booster packs. Paid for my entry fee AND my ticket to the show itself. A lot of that was just luck, but still!

I averaged $55 per draft over 10 drafts before prizes. The value is insane.

cdViking

Oct 28, 2017
Tempted to buy a box of Mystery Booster and jam a sealed with friends, but it's so hard to find a time that works for my play group these days. Given the broad spectrum of mechanics, I wonder how effectively represented specific archetypes are. Maybe some number of each cards on each printing sheet?

Oct 28, 2017
Tempted to buy a box of Mystery Booster and jam a sealed with friends, but it's so hard to find a time that works for my play group these days. Given the broad spectrum of mechanics, I wonder how effectively represented specific archetypes are. Maybe some number of each cards on each printing sheet?

While individual mechanics don't shine, there's a lot of synergy. Archetypes will exist but will not always be available. I'd say the set is better drafted as well.

Feb 16, 2018
random PSA for standard draft fans:

this week mtgo has phantom drafts for 2x hour of devestation 1x amonkhet. i know people hate the pay-to-play part of mtgo, but the situation with this one is a bit unusual

the cost is under $6 (buy amonkhet packs from a trade bot)
at 50% win percentage, expected prizes are almost $8

if you like low-power high-consistency drafting without too many swingy/exciting cards, i haven't played a better format. and it uses the new mulligan rule, so it got even better

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I drafted Hour of Devastation once by accident and I hated how underpowered it was.

I think I'll wait for Invasion block draft next week and try to force the classic Repulse/Jilt + Flametongue Kavu combo.

But yeah, offering packs as an entry option in addition to 10 tix or 100 play points is a welcome one.

Status
Not open for further replies.