• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
How soon could they slot some emergency hate in? A one mana colorless "destroy target Oko," nice and simple.
I was hoping they'd just make Field of Ruin legal to deal with Field but I don't think they like to do that. What would you sneak in to the format to deal with him out of curiosity?

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
I look forward to a vibrant new metagame featuring decks like Bant Oko, Sultai Oko, Simic Oko, and Temur Fires Oko duking it out.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
You know you've dun goofed when people play ramp card disadvantage just to have the PW engine a turn earlier.

TAFAE

Aug 27, 2018
Michigan
I could maybe see them trying out a ban on Krasis in order to not ban Oko. I think that would put us in a similar situation to the Bridge from Below ban that didn't actually tame the Hogaak decks, though. Krasis is also not a broken card in the same way that BfB is, much harder to justify a ban.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Outside a few cards, the prices on ELD have cratered. Is this normal, or the sign of a bad set?

If you're comparing the prices to preorder prices, that's pretty normal. Everything that's good starts out with inflated preorder prices until product is massively opened and things return to normalcy. Plus we have a scenario where a bunch of decks play 4x of a Mythic and that tends to create a value suction that brings the prices down on everything else.

How soon could they slot some emergency hate in? A one mana colorless "destroy target Oko," nice and simple.

Theros and Ikoria are probably already done. They might be able to squeeze something into Core 2021 at best.

Deleted member 38227

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
If you're comparing the prices to preorder prices, that's pretty normal. Everything that's good starts out with inflated preorder prices until product is massively opened and things return to normalcy. Plus we have a scenario where a bunch of decks play 4x of a Mythic and that tends to create a value suction that brings the prices down on everything else.
Yeah, that was a thought too. Thanks

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Krasis is like the 3rd most played card in the MC going on rn, it has always been a dumb payoff for ramp decks and particularly since WAR Nissa came out

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Ramp is too good
Control mirrors take too long
Red based aggro is a coin flip

Make up your mind era lol

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Ramp is too good
Control mirrors take too long
Red based aggro is a coin flip

Make up your mind era lol
The problem is that when one of these things is too strong, the basic rock paper scissors gameplay concept for a format is nullified. All three need to be about the same power level for things to feel fair. I can't think of the last time they really got it right.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that when one of these things is too strong, the basic rock paper scissors gameplay concept for a format is nullified. All three need to be about the same power level for things to feel fair. I can't think of the last time they really got it right.
Shards of Alara-Zendikar

Jund/Bant
UW/Esper/Grixis Control
RDW/Boros Landfall

When Lightning Bolt was standard legal. Those were the days.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
SoM-Innistrad had Snapcaster Mage and Mana Leak so probably miserable lol

Innistrad-RtR had Thragtusk.
Yeah but I liked Thragtusk and enjoyed fighting against the Delver decks. Honestly, Delver was strong but not unbeatable. And there were lots of other decks like Solar Flare, Pod and Wolf Run that were top tier any given week. There definitely was diversity back then.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't just Delver. It was Restoration Angel, Geist of Saint Traft, Snapcaster Mage in one package. It's actually eerily similar to U/G Flash today.

Also Aristocrats was meh. Losing out of nowhere with Boros Reckoner wasn't exactly fun.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It wasn't just Delver. It was Restoration Angel, Geist of Saint Traft, Snapcaster Mage in one package. It's actually eerily similar to U/G Flash today.

Also Aristocrats was meh. Losing out of nowhere with Boros Reckoner wasn't exactly fun.
Correct, those cards were often in it, I remember the deck. I played against it often. It was very good but quite beatable, and while the format was warped around its existence other decks existed in the format and could defeat it. The difference between then and now is that there were were answers in the format. I was huge into Pod back then. Man those were the days.

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I'm glad when they print alternate art cards at a decent rate because it makes just playing paper Magic as a whole cheaper when all you want is the "normal version" cards, while still satisfying the timmies/tammies of the world.

EDIT: Oops, double post.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Midrange vs midrange is objectively the most fun matchup and hence the most desirable way to bild a deck.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
You know you've dun goofed when people play ramp card disadvantage just to have the PW engine a turn earlier.

Yeah, "Ramp to 3" really isn't supposed to be a thing, it's just that the Oko deck has so little concern for what else it could be doing other than playing Oko that, fuck it, might as well just load up a bunch of ramp on turn 1. Even if you aren't actually interested in ramping into traditional (6+) ramp targets.

Like what the fuck, bro.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, "Ramp to 3" really isn't supposed to be a thing, it's just that the Oko deck has so little concern for what else it could be doing other than playing Oko that, fuck it, might as well just load up a bunch of ramp on turn 1. Even if you aren't actually interested in ramping into traditional (6+) ramp targets.

Like what the fuck, bro.
Gotta sell packs.

Deleted member 38227

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
This is the masterpiece effect, but toned down a bit. If you look at the price lists, all of the value is being eaten up by showcases and extended art cards which drives the price of regular cards down.
Fair point. And I agree with IceMarker--this is good for the peeps who just want the reg cards. Though I did like having some $50 cards.

Out of historical curiosity, I bought a Saviors of Kamigawa theme deck, Spirit Flames, and played it last night. I was struck by how less powerful it is, particularly its creatures, against the current sets (Ixalan on). You can buff creatures but most die before that happens. It's probably just my unfamiliarity with the deck as it was my first time piloting it. Maybe it'll fair better when I play today. I really love the Kamigawa set...

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Like what the fuck, bro.
We've somehow returned to Dark Ritual -> Hypnotic Specter.

Only worse.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Day Two with a near even split of Golos Field and Oko decks.

And Oko decks are still legitimately kept down by Golos Field.

Standard is going to get a lot worse with the next banning wave before it gets better with the subsequent one.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Field and Oko need to go together. I can't imagine Standard being OK if Oko sticks around. Sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.