• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TAFAE

Aug 27, 2018
Michigan
Bonecrusher Giant seems quite good. The Adventure seems like something you would use sometimes, esp. in a matchup where you expect to be grinding, but the base of 2R for a 4/3 creature that your opponents don't want to hit with spells is already very solid.

Something's definitely going on with all of these blue artifacts/artifact synergy cards. I don't know if it's anything good or if it's just going to durdle around forever, but turning Guild Globes and Witching Wells into 4/4s could be strong if you can pull it off?

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
hze4brbrtcm31.jpg

Nekusar EDH didn't need this, but alas.

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN
Every time I've played against Nekusar that player draws all the hate, Nekusar keeps getting destroyed/exiled and they get knocked out first. That deck just annoys everyone with chip damage and puts a ton of answers into opponents' hands (assuming they brewed right and have removal).

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Every time I've played against Nekusar that player draws all the hate, Nekusar keeps getting destroyed/exiled and they get knocked out first. That deck just annoys everyone with chip damage and puts a ton of answers into opponents' hands (assuming they brewed right and have removal).
God I wish I played with a playgroup that was better at assessing threats sometimes

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Blue-black is a mystery.
It was deliberately saved for later in the article.
But wait. It seems that I forgot to talk about the blue-black archetype. The blue-black archetype in Throne of Eldraine is about getting cards in graveyards. Both graveyards. Cards will upgrade if your opponent has a stocked graveyard, and this deck will have access to getting back cards from its graveyard.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
Changes coming to Historic:

#MTGArena updates posted on German twitter: Historic 1:1 wildcards Historic doesn't count towards daily wins anymore Maybe no new cards ("TBD") Packs available in any number (not just 45)

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
The TBD on new cards is super weird- I would have assumed the cards were already designed at this point

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
kind of hate when they add interesting formats but dont let you do quests on them

like if they add brawl and i cant do quests then thanks for making me waste time i guess

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Glad they're pulling back some of those elements, Historic sounded like a shitshow and it's good that they're listening to feedback

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
yeah i think it averages out, theres some cool stuff for sure but i dont see much that will change the game since the most impactful stuff either seems to require some graveyard manipulation or costs 6 mana

other than green four drops

Feb 16, 2018
you can interact with most of these permanents

powering up stuff like this is fine

the adventure stuff is more lazy (it's just "free" card advantage), but hopefully the rates are weaker so it works out. and you still have to pay mana twice, so it's still likely to result in actual games being played

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
For you more Vorthos-types, TCGPlayer's YouTube channel just uploaded a nearly 40-minute video detailing the story/world of Eldraine. Yes, it's good ol' Ryan Gomez.

TAFAE

Aug 27, 2018
Michigan
Yeah, I mean when stuff costs 6 or more mana it's allowed to be insane since you're really going to have to work to get to resolve it (or cheat it into play, but that's not a huge concern in Standard). That's no different in this set than anything else. The stuff to worry about is things that cost like 1-3, sometimes 4, mana, because they will reliably come down. When those cards immediately take over the game, that's a problem. The power level here seems fine, lower than War of the Spark. There are some cheap cards that seem pretty pushed (Oko), but nothing that seems as annoying as baby Teferi.

Barge In; Redcap Raiders; Mistford River Turtle; Grumgully, the Generous; Ferocity of the Wilds; Loch Dragon
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Non-human tribal cards

image0.png

This is the most Shrek like creature in art yet, despite being a giant.

image1.png

image2.png

image3.png

Seems good

image4.png

And unrelated

brdcfmqp7em31.png

One of the better cards in this cycle, I think.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I like that at the very beginning of spoiler season I said the set seemed underpowered. There's so much creep that my initial assessment proved to be inaccurate. Still not a fan of the set, but it's definitely got its standout cards.

Starsunder

Oct 25, 2017
The set overall seems very strong. I feel like there's more than a few cards that people are sleeping on that are gonna end up as very powerful.

Nov 2, 2017
So, news that the Brawl precons are apparently so under printed that Star City Games isn't even going to bother running preorders for them is a little concerning. Same with the Collector's booster packs. This all sounds like it's going to be a pretty big clusterfuck.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Little Garruk when. I wanna see his 3 drop or 4 drop form.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The signet being so expensive is fucking silly, straight up. Any other 2 color 2 cmc mana rock is fine in that slot until you can get one from a Brawl deck yourself or until they print it into the ground and the price bottoms out.

Seriously wtf people be patient.

Little Garruk when. I wanna see his 3 drop or 4 drop form.
I could see him in the set before Zendikar but I think he'll be 5 cmc and up for a while if not forever. They like him feeling big and powerful.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The signet being so expensive is fucking silly, straight up. Any other 2 color 2 cmc mana rock is fine in that slot until you can get one from a Brawl deck yourself or until they print it into the ground and the price bottoms out.

Seriously wtf people be patient.

I could see him in the set before Zendikar but I think he'll be 5 cmc and up for a while if not forever. They like him feeling big and powerful.

I'm fine with that but I thought they explicitly confirmed Garruk Tribal in Throne? Or am I misremembering

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm fine with that but I thought they explicitly confirmed Garruk Tribal in Throne? Or am I misremembering
The new Garruk certainly incentivizes you to play more Garruks, but he'll be the only one in standard (that we know about) for a bit. Maybe M21 will do for G-man what M20 did for Chandra and we will get a lower cost young Garruk or two.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
god the arena UI sucks sometimes

why yes i would like to get blown out of this nu standard event immediately then have to click like 10 times to re enter it

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
The new Garruk certainly incentivizes you to play more Garruks, but he'll be the only one in standard (that we know about) for a bit. Maybe M21 will do for G-man what M20 did for Chandra and we will get a lower cost young Garruk or two.
The wolves put counters on "each Garruk" to shorten the text, nothing more, I'm pretty sure.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
So, news that the Brawl precons are apparently so under printed that Star City Games isn't even going to bother running preorders for them is a little concerning. Same with the Collector's booster packs. This all sounds like it's going to be a pretty big clusterfuck.

Another print run was just announced, at least. Wizards has a habit of underprinting new products. I suppose another long lasting habit caused by Chronicles being over printed.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Come on guys, there was a reasonable expectation Brawl would be DOA and we would have given them a mountain of shit if they'd done a huge initial print run for a product with a high chance of failure. Yeah, they probably should have anticipated somewhat higher demand from Commander players, but it's still not entirely unreasonable to be skeptical of the continued sales viability of this product.

If they try to print Brawl stuff too often (ie, more than once a year) they're probably going to saturate the market of people poaching it for Commander cards and have the bottom drop out. I'm not going to give them too much flak for being conservative about this.

Oct 28, 2017
Come on guys, there was a reasonable expectation Brawl would be DOA and we would have given them a mountain of shit if they'd done a huge initial print run for a product with a high chance of failure. Yeah, they probably should have anticipated somewhat higher demand from Commander players, but it's still not entirely unreasonable to be skeptical of the continued sales viability of this product.

If they try to print Brawl stuff too often (ie, more than once a year) they're probably going to saturate the market of people poaching it for Commander cards and have the bottom drop out. I'm not going to give them too much flak for being conservative about this.

Yup. They know people will get tired of them when they release every set and eventually Signet will be worth nothing. People just can't wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.