• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
ELD_header.png

Previous thread
Arena thread
Product info
Where to find previews
Card image gallery
Variant image gallery
Mechanics: Adventure, adamant, food
Next set: Theros: Beyond Death
Story archive

MTG_Discord_invite_3.png

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
Magic: the Gathering is a Trading Card Game, the first of its kind, developed by Richard Garfield and his playtesters for the gaming company Wizards of the Coast in 1993. You and your opponents play the role of dueling planeswalkers, wizards able to travel between dimensions known as planes to gather unique magic. Using customized decks made up of your spells, the creatures you can summon, your mana bonds with lands, and even other planeswalkers you can call in to help out, you try to defeat your foes.

Previously, we witnessed the defeat of the planeswalker dragon Nicol Bolas on the plane of Ravnica. Now, we move away from all that to visit the knights and fairy tale world of Eldraine. A planeswalker trickster by the name of Oko used his shapeshifting powers to murder High King Kenrith and incite a war between humans and elves. His children, Will and Rowan, must find a way to stop this, but standing between them and Oko is the fierce planeswalker Garruk.

Note that this set brings about a Standard rotation. In the Standard format, the following sets will be legal.
  • Guilds of Ravnica
  • Ravnica Allegiance
  • War of the Spark
  • Core Set 2020
  • Throne of Eldraine
Ixalan, Rivals of Ixalan, Dominaria, and Core Set 2019 will no longer be legal in Standard.

GETTING STARTED
Official guide to starting Magic

To see what a game is like, check out Geek and Sundry's Spellslinger series, where Day[9] battles various geek celebrities, often losing, using simple and easy to follow decks.

For the digital card game, you can play Magic Arena potentially for free. It has its own thread.

For the physical card game, there are many ways to get on board. If you go to a local game store (LGS), the owner will give you a simple Welcome Deck for free, after demonstrating how to play the game. The Spellslinger Starter Kit (Core Set 2020 edition) has two simple decks that you do not shuffle so you and a friend can get a guided tour through how a game of Magic can work. Planeswalker Decks are pre-constructed decks with four brand new cards, including unique planeswalker cards and one additional booster pack. While not particularly strong, they will allow you to actually play casual games. Challenger Decks (2019 edition) will allow you to compete in Standard tournaments using real decks for, before release, much cheaper than buying the cards individually. Note that the latest decks will have cards that have rotated out of Standard by Throne of Eldraine's release.

If you want to build your own deck, a Deck Builder's Toolkit (Core Set 2020 edition) will give you a decent starting collection of cards, including 125 fixed cards, 100 basic lands, four booster packs, and perhaps most importantly, a good box for your cards. Game stores will hold Magic Open House events specifically meant for new players, with people there to give you Welcome Decks and play teaching games. Experienced players are also encouraged to participate and help beginners, and everyone will get a promotional card for attending.

The big thing to look forward to, however, is the Prerelease event held for every set. You play using the Sealed format, where every player is given a box with six booster packs and a random additional rare card. From this pool of cards, all of which you keep, each player builds a deck of 40 cards and participates in a Swiss-system tournament. This is a fun and casual event, where everyone is still trying to figure out the set, so don't worry about messing up. In addition to normal duels, there are also Two-Headed Giant events, where you pair up with another player and face off against another team.

Prerelease events will be held on September 27–29, 2019. Call your local game store a few days ahead of time to register for the Prerelease, or they might just run out of room. Magic Open House events will be on October 12–13, 2019, scheduled after the release this time. Find local game stores here.

BOOSTER CHANGES

First of all, booster packs will now consistently have three types of variant cards.

en_FqHA3ZW64F.png

Borderless planeswalker cards will sometimes replace the normal planeswalker in booster packs. These have different art than the normal planeswalker cards.

en_J0vfUwfsY2.png

Extended art frames will be applied to rare and mythic rare non-planeswalker cards that don't already have variants. The art is the same as the normal versions of these cards, but zoomed and cropped. These versions of cards won't be in normal booster packs.

en_jRDXvZQBMe.png
en_pu1CyUVKNE.png

Showcase frames will be applied to a subset of cards across all rarities in each set, with alternate art in addition to the special frame. In the case of Throne of Eldraine, every card with Adventure will have these variants in addition to the normal versions. More on Adventures later.

Second, there are now three different kinds of booster packs

drwzzegna4.jpg

Draft booster packs are the booster packs you know and I suppose love. Aside from the additional variants above, there are no changes. These are about $4-5.

d6kdiqogj8.jpg

Theme booster packs have been around since Guilds of Ravnica. You get 35 cards just of the color indicated, or whatever theme the set goes with. 34 of the cards are a mix of commons and uncommons, more of the former but there's no set ratio, and 1 rare or mythic rare, with 1/10 packs having an additional rare or mythic rare. These are about $7.

Throne-of-Eldraine-Collector-booster-pack.png

And the big new addition is collector booster packs. The contents are
  • 1 rare/mythic rare with extended art - This is the only place to get extended art cards
  • 1 foil rare/mythic rare - This can be a foil variant card too
  • 9 foil commons/uncommons - This includes variants
  • 3 special frame cards (showcase or borderless planeswalkers) - For Throne of Eldraine only, this is the only place to find non-foil versions of the common showcase cards
  • 1 ancillary card - This slot is for cards that don't appear in draft booster packs, from Planeswalker Decks and the Buy-a-Box Promo and such.
  • 1 foil token
These go for $20-25.

ELD_details.png

Number of Cards: 269 (+ cards from beginner products, Brawl decks, and 1 Buy a Box promo)
Arena Release: September 26, 2019
Prerelease Weekend: September 27–29, 2019
Release Date: October 4, 2019
Draft Weekend: October 5–6, 2019
Magic Open House: October 12–13, 2019
Card image gallery
Variant image gallery
Mechanics: Adventure, adamant, food

So much to do, so much to see / So what's wrong with taking the back streets?

tumblr_mam0ryfASa1qdelmgo1_250.gif

en_eRI78mGSMw.png
en_bhs3gq4yrP.png
en_cHdfjxGH5P.png

On Eldraine, adventure can call at any time. Several creatures have adventure instants or sorceries on their cards, which you can use to cast that card as an instant or sorcery. If this isn't countered, the creature goes off on an adventure in the exile zone. (If it is countered, it goes to the graveyard as usual.) When you decide their adventure is over, you can cast them from exile as a creature at any time you can cast a creature. You can also choose to just get on with it and cast them as creatures from your hand.

These cards are creature cards everywhere, except when you cast them as adventures. Thus, effects that have you cast a target instant or sorcery from your graveyard won't work here. If cast as an adventure, they can be countered by Negate. The adventure spell has to resolve for the creature to be able to be cast from exile.

Booster packs will provide overlay cards to mark creatures as being on an adventure, if needed.

The real adventure is the friends we made along the way

adamant_small.gif

en_FYDOvRd36b.png
en_1i41dhakhc.png
en_YgkH7fpOUD.png

Eldraine has five courts making up the realm, each devoted to a different virtue (loyalty, knowledge, persistence, courage, and strength). You can show your own devotion through... well, not devotion, but by being adamant and casting a spell with at least three of the spell's color. This will make the spell stronger and sometimes add an extra effect. Like devotion before it, this mechanic encourages you to focus on just one color in your deck.

Lembas bread. And look! More lembas bread.

hook%2Bfood%2Bfight%2Brobin%2Bwilliams%2Bfilm.gif

en_2i5yEcemHB.png
en_8qGrnSbWTv.png
en_dlsmqTQqlN.png

Food is a new artifact type, and several cards create Food tokens. All Food can be sacrificed for (2) to gain 3 life, and several cards will do other things with Food, like the goose above.

en_Il49X0ZN05.png
en_4OwNtoBgbf.png
en_8MSslzedLY.png
en_zSLS0TURcJ.png

SCHEDULE
Premier events schedule

Throne of Eldraine
Arena Release:
September 26, 2019
Prerelease Weekend: September 27–29, 2019
Release Date: October 4, 2019
Draft Weekend: October 5–6, 2019
Magic Open House: October 12–13, 2019

Winter set: Theros: Beyond Death

Spring set: Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths

Summer set: Core Set 2021

Next fall set: Zendikar Rising

OTHER THREADS
Core Set 2020
War of the Spark
Ravnica Allegiance
Guilds of Ravnica
Core Set 2019
Dominaria
Arena on Gaming side
Arena Closed Beta on Gaming side
Rivals of Ixalan
Great Designer Search 3
Hangouts OT
Last GAF thread - Ixalan

RESOURCES
Official articles - Nicknamed the Mothership, these articles are the primary source of news. Recommended columns are Making Magic, written by the head designer, Mark Rosewater (aka MaRo); Magic Story, which tells the story, written by various authors; and Play Design, written by various Magic developers. The other articles generally discuss deck building.
Card image gallery - Best way to see all of the spoiled cards together, but only updates once a day.
Blogatog - Tumblr ran by Mark Rosewater where he answers questions, updates very frequently.
Drive to Work - Mark Rosewater's weekly podcast about Magic that he literally records as he drives to work. Two episodes are released every Friday.
MTG Reddit - The best place to get new card information. The community sucks, though.
Gatherer - The official method of searching through released cards. Has autocomplete.
Scryfall - The better search method, with bigger cards, but it doesn't have autocomplete.
Game store locator

ELD_stinger.png

All that glitters is gold
Only shooting stars break the mold

Last edited:

Foxdeimos

Jan 25, 2018
I have already played with a few of the new set's cards on Magic the Gathering: Arena, and had a blast. Quite excited to see more of the set coming and trying out more of the stuff it's bringing up to the table. Some of the mechanics might SEEM a bit weird, but they work surprisingly well with the set's themes, and feel pretty elegant. Speaking of the theme, this is another aspect of the set that has captured my attention. I've always been a sucker for fairy tales, and seeing the inspiration drawn from many classic tales and converted into card and/or mechanic forms has gotten me feeling rather giddy.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Nice work on the op as always Sigma! I hope y'all enjoy Throne, I shall live vicariously through your posts.

I'm looking on the bright side and treating it like a vacation. Sincerely looking forward to spending the next few months tweaking and/or building eternal decks, and also sorting and weeding my collection. It's been a long time coming.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
The precon decks on arena were fun. War of the spark meta was such ass.

The precon Brawl decks do a pretty good job of capturing the build-around-your-commander style of EDH, yeah. Obviously some better than others, but they feel less like a pile of on-color good stuff than Brawl decks tended to when the format was introduced.

Foxdeimos

Jan 25, 2018
The precon Brawl decks do a pretty good job of capturing the build-around-your-commander style of EDH, yeah. Obviously some better than others, but they feel less like a pile of on-color good stuff than Brawl decks tended to when the format was introduced.

Yes, I agree, those decks did mostly a pretty good job at showcasing the format, although this is actually my first time actually playing a Commander-esque format, so not too much experience with this style on my end. Still, I kind of wish they did a better job at balancing some of those decks out, as some of them seem to perform much, much more consistently better than others, to the point where I feel some of them could've used a bit more care in their construction (The knight-based Syr Gwen deck in particular feeling a bit too underpowered to perform well against some of the others)

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Still, I kind of wish they did a better job at balancing some of those decks out, as some of them seem to perform much, much more consistently better than others, to the point where I feel some of them could've used a bit more care in their construction (The knight-based Syr Gwen deck in particular feeling a bit too underpowered to perform well against some of the others)

Syr's deck is a little bit too slow for 1vs1, yeah. It feels like it's probably a deck that's fine in 4-player Brawl, but just prone to getting run over before it can even deploy the commander in 1v1. Conversely, the Faerie deck will probably feel way more consistent since it's always going to be able to get the commander out.

A_Dang

Oct 27, 2017
Western New York
Great job as always on the OP, thank you so much for all the work you put into them!

I'm not really feeling the new set. Though, new Magic is still new Magic and I'll end up buying a booster box to draft with friends and probably a collector booster or two (or three if I can get a draft group for it!).

Phoenix944

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, M20 draft is about to end and I still didn't get one mythic planeswalker :/

Still, pretty hyped for this new set.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Holiday Gift Bundle is back again, and they changed it quite a bit from the previous 2 years

• 1 Collector Booster
  • 1 special oversized Spindown life counter
  • 10 Throne of Eldraine Draft Booster packs
  • 20 regular basic lands
  • 20 foil basic lands
  • 1 foil alt-art bundle promo card
10 Boosters, a Collectors Booster, 20 foil lands, and an alt-art promo.
While the previous Gift Bundles have been in the $20-30 range, this one is probably going to be in the $50+ price range- It has to be more expensive than the normal Fat Pack, because it has all the contents of a Fat Pack PLUS a collectors Booster.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Really don't like the oversized die, why did they make the switch? Got one in my last Bundle and I'm just not gonna use it. Doesn't match any of my dice and just takes up way more space.

The Royal Scions

Koz

Sep 5, 2018
Rowan and Will officially spoilered (there was a leak last week):

7hz186d5pkl31.png

The Royal Scions 1UR

Legendary Planeswalker - Will Rowan
[+1]: Draw a card, then discard a card.
[+1]: Target creature gets +2/+0 and gains first strike and trample until end of turn.
[-8]: Draw four cards. When you do, The Royal Scions deals damage to any target equal to the number of cards in your hand.

Starting loyalty - 5

Happy Puppy

Oct 29, 2017
Can we pretend War of the Spark didn't happen going forward?

For some odd reason I'm most excited about the food mechanic, find it hilarious.

EDkBqDQXsAA0b5O.jpg

Worried about this card, makes any creature who doesn't have hexproof a joke. Funny to see a god card turn into a 3/3.

Koz

Sep 5, 2018
Yeah I think Oko could end up being really good. He can control the early game and lead into Nissa or something similar, and he's still useful late game.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can we pretend War of the Spark didn't happen going forward?

For some odd reason I'm most excited about the food mechanic, find it hilarious.

EDkBqDQXsAA0b5O.jpg

Worried about this card, makes any creature who doesn't have hexproof a joke. Funny to see a god card turn into a 3/3.
Oko is oppressive as fuck in limited, you better pray they slip a couple turns or you're just never getting rid of him

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Can't say I'm a fan of these 3 CMC planeswalkers being able to uptick immediately to 6 loyalty.

Koz

Sep 5, 2018
Perhaps the most interesting one:

en_INqEgvedTo.png

Seems really good even without the free cast part.

Koz

Sep 5, 2018
More Field of the Dead hijinks, or is Scapeshift leaving gonna fatally cripple it?
Yarok Field has already starting taking over for Scapeshift Field, so I don't think it's going anywhere. And yes, this card will be great in it especially since those decks are losing some of their land finders (like Elvish Rejuvenator and Grow From the Ashes)

Oct 28, 2017
Maro sounds so full of himself in his article. That said, he's right. This is a good idea. Far better than Camelot and working best with it.

Koz

Sep 5, 2018
Murderous Rider looks like the new black removal staple. Nice replacement for Vraska's Contempt in Standard.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Everyone: Hey now that Faithless Looting is gone maybe we should watch Ancient Stir-

Wizards: HEY SHUT UP AND HAVE THIS

en_INqEgvedTo.png

This card is bananas.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
They'll ban stirrings next time, invoking this card as a replacement, and it will be a good move. Helps getting tron but doesn't get karn or ugin.
I think this is more dangerous, as free spells are always a bad move. It fits into way more stuff than Tron. Neoform, for example, loves this and could be way more consistent with it.

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
That card seems absurdly good to me. I'm surprised they weren't more conservative with costing the "real" half given how big the upside of it as a free spell is. Even GG would've made this somewhat less consistent in decks like Tron.

Strong agree that 3cc walkers immediately ticking up to 6 is very annoying.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
It's cute how you can go, "Once upon a time, in Urza's Power Plant..." or "Once upon a time, there was an Allosaurus Rider..."

MaRo's article shows how you can arrange the cards in different ways to produce a story, which is pretty neat.
en_nfwyXxPM2L.png
en_C0jI7lc5yE.png
en_CFl72ErRy9.png

en_Cah5ttwGXC.png
en_jbiHwSER7O.png
en_hgCG5qUjNx.png

en_Otocaq3mSK.png
en_H3P0mHOq1N.png

Interesting that mouse is a distinct type from rat, but I suppose they wanted to represent the helpful mice in stories by making them white aligned. And there are stories that pit mice against rats.

Status
Not open for further replies.