• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TAFAE

Aug 27, 2018
Michigan
Hey, some new cards that I'm actually excited to play with!

Once Upon a Time seems very strong and will probably see a bunch of play in Standard. It may just make Neobrand Combo too good in Modern, but as a garbage deck that doesn't deserve to exist I'm sure it will eat a crippling ban if that becomes the case. Allosaurus Rider is such an easy pick to hit that deck and nothing else, so I'm not all that worried. It doesn't seem all that great in Tron to be honest, since it can only hit lands and Wurms.

Murderous Rider seems like exactly like what a Golgari/Rock deck in Standard wants. Murder up front and an okay creature later on is basically perfect for a grindy midrange deck.

Also Questing Beast, holy shit? GB looking very strong already.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Once Upon a Time seems very strong and will probably see a bunch of play in Standard. It may just make Neobrand Combo too good in Modern, but as a garbage deck that doesn't deserve to exist I'm sure it will eat a crippling ban if that becomes the case. Allosaurus Rider is such an easy pick to hit that deck and nothing else, so I'm not all that worried. It doesn't seem all that great in Tron to be honest, since it can only hit lands and Wurms.
It smooths our the draws even more. And for free. It's gross.

Ex: T1: once upon a time free, find tron land, play tron land, play Sphere

Combined with the London Mulligan this is potentially unheard of consistency.

I can even imagine a build that plays this and Aboreal Grazer to have 8 mana by turn 3.

But to your point, yeah it grabs lands and Wurmcoils. But also Ballista. And Worldbreaker. And Ulamog. It's a great late game dig and it's an instant.

Wishclaw Talisman; Embercleave

Koz

Sep 5, 2018
Couple more solid reveals:

6wb0pc9jfll31.png

Seems really good if you can reliably bounce/remove it after using (i.e. Teferi)

EECRlkTXYAA-Xu-

Mono red gets a new toy! Or really any red-based aggro deck.

Doom Foretold; Wicked Wolf; Blow Your House Down; Oakhame Ranger
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Questing Beast out to get Teferi, Nissa, and Tamiyo.
Can also block Gideon and remove loyalty counters (Gideon is still a planeswalker as a creature and thus normally damage would remove loyalty counters, which is why Gideon prevents damage).

dMSz80bh.jpg

The land is ruined until a hero rises up. Neat flavor.

69647779_2444416628999872_6945053274017890304_n.png
69705244_2444416678999867_1997286386801049600_n.png

Great flavor

q9382tvmbll31.png

"Oakland Raider"

Sorcery - Adventure
Create two 1/1 human tokens

Tap: Creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.

Koz

Sep 5, 2018
Wicked Wolf is actually quite solid as long as you have a reliable source of food. Note it can use the ability after it's been declared an attacker and tapped. It seems like some weird form of the old regenerate effect.

Sep 14, 2018
It's rotation time and we are due for new control tools, I am ready for my quarterly dose of disappointment.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
EECRlkTXYAA-Xu-

Mono red gets a new toy! Or really any red-based aggro deck.
A knight is blocked by a creature
Creature: Fu fu fu, you are too weak
Knight: I'm not weak... as long as I have my friends!
Embercleave appears and equips to knight
Creature: NANI?!
Knight: Feel this power! My power! The power of my nakama!
Celtic music intensifies
Creature: MASAKA
Knight: HOWOOOOOOOOOOOOOH
double strikes and tramples through creature

TAFAE

Aug 27, 2018
Michigan
It smooths our the draws even more. And for free. It's gross.

Ex: T1: once upon a time free, find tron land, play tron land, play Sphere

Combined with the London Mulligan this is potentially unheard of consistency.

I can even imagine a build that plays this and Aboreal Grazer to have 8 mana by turn 3.

But to your point, yeah it grabs lands and Wurmcoils. But also Ballista. And Worldbreaker. And Ulamog. It's a great late game dig and it's an instant.

I guess I'm not yet convinced. It's better than Ancient Stirrings if you get to play it for free on Turn 1, but it's worse the rest of the time. So then my questions are whether or not Tron wants another 1-4 copies of Stirrings and what it would replace. I don't have a ton of experience with Tron, but it strikes me as a deck that doesn't have much trouble finding its haymakers, it just needs to stay in the game long enough to get them online.

Sep 14, 2018
You have 3feri, what more control tools do you want?

Teferi, like Dovin's Veto and Mystical Dispute is more anti control than anything, they are meant to help bad control players beat good ones in mirrors.

But as usual smart sideboarding saves the day, just annoying to deal with. I was more talking about replacements for spot removal that are rotating.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
I don't think i'd run questing beast over nullhide ferox broadly, and even as a check on planeswalkers i might like the slightly worse shifting ceratops more just because it is also great against simic flash. All its extra text seems tooled towards stopping a super friends deck that's running dovins to make thopters and prevent damage more than the actual problem cards of the meta like teferi and nissa, the first of which is fine dying after it's already minus'd for value once and the second of which is happy to throw a forest blocker under the bus in exchange for doubling the rest of its mana next turn. It's def pushed, but i don't know that it'll be ubiquitous.

Witch's Vengeance

Koz

Sep 5, 2018
We got the black removal, now we got the sweeper.

pefrxlphull31.png

Usefulness depends largely on how tribal the meta decks will be, but it will be good against Knights if that becomes a thing. Maybe Elementals too?

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
We got the black removal, now we got the sweeper.

pefrxlphull31.png

Usefulness depends largely on how tribal the meta decks will be, but it will be good against Knights if that becomes a thing. Maybe Elementals too?

This was spoiled by the Masters of Modern podcast. So that basically screams "modern sideboard". Good against humans, elves, spirits, etc.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I like the look of all the knight based stuff I just wish the fairy tales weren't so...on the nose? Literally a pumpkin carriage and literally a gingerbread man is less subtle than I'm used to from Magic

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I like the look of all the knight based stuff I just wish the fairy tales weren't so...on the nose? Literally a pumpkin carriage and literally a gingerbread man is less subtle than I'm used to from Magic
I'm with you (literally rolled my eyes at the wolf blowing the house down card) but we are apparently deeply in the minority.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm missing the narrative element that explains why the magic here is so much... more off-kilter. If this was Witches Abroad, the Set I'd be super into it

Starsunder

Oct 25, 2017
This set is fucking awesome. I love the flavor.

Questing Beast and Once Upon a Time seem fucking powerful. Which as a lover of green I'm more than ok with 😁

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN
being based on actual magical legends/fairy tales is lame

moar avengers wannabe arcs plz, first zendikar then return to return to return to ravnica

jace is so cool, he's a silent all-knowing blue mage (just like me), whose mind is he sculpting now

just kidding, it's nicol bolas's

Bwooduhs

Oct 25, 2017
Really excited for this. Me and a couple friends just got in to the game for the first time when Core Set 2020 came out and we're loving it so far.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
The power creep in this set is bananas. Oko is ridiculous, and that mythic rare beast is stupid.

Oko's preorders are already at $25+, that beast is gonna be around there too. Good lord.

Garenbrig Paladin; Outmuscle; Once and Future
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

190906190422165_u87.png

"Holy Knight" - 4G
Creature - Giant Knight
Adamant - If you paid at least GGG to cast this spell, ~ enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter.
~ cannot be blocked by creatures with power less than or equal to 2.
4/4

1909061912534_u87.png

"Bear Suplex" - 3G
Sorcery
Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature you control, then it fights target creature you don't control.
Adamant - If you paid at least GGG to cast this spell, creatures you control gain indestructible until end of turn.

190906192119312_u87.png

"That Cloud Looks Like a Knight" - 3G
Instant
Return target card in your graveyard to your hand, then put another target card from your graveyard on top of your library. Exile ~
Adamant - If you paid at least GGG to cast this spell, instead return both cards to your hand and exile ~.

Pretty good Limited cards

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017

They're super into making every reference painfully obvious and on-the-nose in the latter era of Magic, would be an unforgivable feelbad if some new player didn't happen to get 100% of the cards at first pass, apparently. Modern Horizons was absolutely brutal about this. "Like a bolt from a brainstorm," indeed.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This set feels like Shrek:The Gathering so far, where it thinks a reference is itself clever. "It's Cinderella's carriage, get it?"

A more clever take might have been a plane that has mythologized the other planes and passed on their stories as fairy tales. Then you'd get fairy tale versions of the Brothers' War and the Weatherlight Saga and instead of wolves being the recurring bad thing stalking the night maybe it's Phrexians or something.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
They're super into making every reference painfully obvious and on-the-nose in the latter era of Magic, would be an unforgivable feelbad if some new player didn't happen to get 100% of the cards at first pass, apparently. Modern Horizons was absolutely brutal about this. "Like a bolt from a brainstorm," indeed.
Very few people got that Questing Beast was a reference, so there's that.

Emry, Lurker of the Loch

Koz

Sep 5, 2018
tdyyzinoool31.png

(copied from reddit)

Emry, Lurker of the Loch {2}{U}
Legendary Creature — Merfolk Wizard
This spell costs {1} less to cast for each artifact you control.
When Emry, Lurker of the Loch enters the battlefield, put the top four cards of your library into your graveyard.
{T}: choose target artifact card in your graveyard. You may cast that card this turn.
1/2

Umm, excuse me? Why yes I was looking for something to put into my reanimator deck. I'm not too familiar with non-Standard formats, but this seems like it could be broken outside of Standard.

GoutPatrol

Oct 30, 2017
Can't be that broken because you're still paying mana to reanimate.

This could fit in my cube which has historic as a UW archetype. Now that's much more important.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, new Destroy All Humanity, It Can't Be Regenerated chapter (9) came out... a while ago.
unknown.png

unknown.png

I'm surprised to see the Spirit Link confusion get brought up in this manga. Pretty neat.

And I have to say, I really like how this manga actually uses three-round matches.

The end of the previous chapter and the start of this one jumped ahead from 1998 to 2012, which I joked was to avoid Urza's Saga, but nope, the next chapter is straight up called Urza's Saga.

Volume 2 of the manga came with a Stronghold art Shock
843f290b-8c1d-4124-99c7-e11b8b4481cf.jpg

You might notice it's oddly wordy. That's because it says:

"Target 1 creature or 1 planeswalker or 1 player. Shock deals 2 points of damage to it."

The Japanese localization team outright rejected the "any target" wording. The more you know!

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
EECRlkTXYAA-Xu-

YESSS

YESSS

MOAR

(this is not excalibur btw. should be in the set somewhere as well!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.