• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feasting Troll King; Covetous Urge

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hrx9fm2lsql31.png

Feels a tad tuned, still decent

hd75e971qql31.png

Greedy Impulse {U/B}{U/B}{U/B}{U/B}
Sorcery (Uncommon)
Target opponent reveals their hand. You choose a nonland card in that player's hand or graveyard, and exile it. For as long as that card remains exiled, you may cast it, and you may spend mana as though it were any type to cast it.

Fun card but hybrid everywhere is boring

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

If your opponent can kill the troll before you move to your first combat step, the card became bad for you because it gave your opponent three bodies after a 1-for-1 trade.

If your opponent can kill the troll after letting you draw single card and gaining 3 life, you get a 2-for-1. There is some definite upside here but it's not backbreaking.

I feel like the card is probably fair in constructed but will be a powerful value engine in limited.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Robin Hood seems decent. Floor is a 2/2 with Haste/Reach. Seems like something you want to put in aggressive red decks.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Not just a few years back design was debating in no small way whether or not red should have a vanilla 2/2 for 1R and now we have this.

Things really have shifted a ton.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I mean Goblin Guide came out with Lorwyn. The first red bear was in Shadows Over Innistrad IIRC. Original Innistrad had a RR 2/2 First Strike and haste with Flashback hate stapled on
I don't think those are apples to apples. Goblin Guide has a real drawback and RR is not 1R, but I 100% can see how it would be a debate about rarity and availability. I'm just going to say you are probably right because I'm too lazy to look it up haha

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

I might like this as a finisher for my mono-black discard deck. Less likely they'll have single target removal in hand and they'll have to sacrifice further card advantage if they want to live longer. Don't know if I like it more than Liliana or Spawn of Mayhem though, it's somewhere between them in terms of speed.

Trail of Crumbs; Curious Pair
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Red has had 2/2s for RR for a while before Eldritch Moon. That set was the first time at all that red got a 2/2 for 1R with no downside, regardless of rarity.

Clackbridge Troll reminds me a lot of Desecration Demon back in Return to Ravnica standard. It was way stronger than people first thought.

637037060248378424.png

Trail of Crumbs
Enchantment
When Trail of Crumbs enters the battlefield, create a Food token.
Whenever you sacrifice a food, you may pay (1). If you do, look at the top two cards of your library. You may reveal a permanent card from among them and put it in your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.

637037060111442672.png

"Curious Pair"
Commissary Treats {G}
Sorcery - Adventure
Create a Food token

(Vanilla creature)

Now you too can lure kids to their death!

TAFAE

Aug 27, 2018
Michigan
tdyyzinoool31.png

(copied from reddit)

Emry, Lurker of the Loch {2}{U}
Legendary Creature — Merfolk Wizard
This spell costs {1} less to cast for each artifact you control.
When Emry, Lurker of the Loch enters the battlefield, put the top four cards of your library into your graveyard.
{T}: choose target artifact card in your graveyard. You may cast that card this turn.
1/2

Umm, excuse me? Why yes I was looking for something to put into my reanimator deck. I'm not too familiar with non-Standard formats, but this seems like it could be broken outside of Standard.

I'm concerned this is going to break Modern Whirza. It seems very easy to get it down on turn 1 or 2 and then if you're allowed to untap with it, you can either get a ton of value from Mishra's Baubles, go straight for the combo, or rebuy prison pieces. The deck is already showing very good winrates and day 2 conversions and these are like pseudo extra copies of Goblin Engineer, which is already a must kill so they can't combo you out.

Koz

Sep 5, 2018
en_Az6mYSq35Z.png

Cool card. Obviously first thought is Simic Flash where it could be a good place to dump excess mana when summoning a Spectral Sailor on turn 5 or something. It also blocks flyers which has actually been an issue for me when playing the deck (especially with Trickster rotating out). Even on curve as a regular 2/2 it's not bad and can always be pumped later.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Roving Keep?

I thought we were doing European Fairy Tales, not Howl's Moving Castle.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Don't spend a good sweeper on random 0/1 goats that generate you value
I think the cards fit really well together in the same deck. I agree that isn't the ideal use of that card, but it's possible you're going to see scenarios where someone drops "fixed Hogaak" on turn 4 and fires off that sweeper to clear the way for 8 points of damage more than you think.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my bad, I forgot most games of Magic come down to who drew the most cards, not who is at zero life ;)

8 damage coming across a clear board is not insignificant, especially in most standard formats.
We're talking using a great sweeper turn 6 to get rid of two 0/1 goats
They could also have more creatures to sac to tap it regardless

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
We're talking using a great sweeper turn 6 to get rid of two 0/1 goats
They could also have more creatures to sac to tap it regardless
Sure, everything is situational. They might have only goats, they might have 10 creatures. Who knows? You could power the card out by turn 4 easy using mana dorks. You might not draw one until turn 12. There will be times where you want your opponent to sac so you can draw. There will be times your hand is stacked and drawing doesn't matter, and you can progress toward a win. Magic is always situational -- that's what's great about it.

I'm saying that, with these cards being suited well for inclusion the same deck, it is not outlandish to think that there will be times where dropping this guy then blowing off that sweeper on the next turn to smash in for 8 will be a good or optimal play.

I don't think that's crazy.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hope we get some good previews today, outside of a handful of things, nothing particular excites me.

Status
Not open for further replies.