• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I keep reading Ardenvale as Arendelle and I have a sneaking suspicion that's no accident.

Kenrith, the Returned King (Buy a Box promo)
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
image0.jpg

Buy a Box promo

TAFAE

Aug 27, 2018
Michigan
Looks like I'll be trying to build Knight Weenies. Seems like base white with a splash into either black or red will be doable. Between the tapper with Adventure: exile a big creature, this new Knight-generator Knight, and Venerable Knight there's a good amount of support. The Circle of Loyalty could be worth it if there are some legendary cards (esp. cheap knights) worth casting, since an anthem for WW seems decent.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely seems like a fun multiplayer card, for Brawl or whatever. Like, you know, use him as a diplomatic tool. Not good but fun!

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if Prince Charming is good in legacy Aluren haha

Probably not since he's card disadvantage

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
Whoa, is that misprint in the packs? If so, that's a huge error in two sets in a row.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
Looks like I'll be trying to build Knight Weenies. Seems like base white with a splash into either black or red will be doable. Between the tapper with Adventure: exile a big creature, this new Knight-generator Knight, and Venerable Knight there's a good amount of support. The Circle of Loyalty could be worth it if there are some legendary cards (esp. cheap knights) worth casting, since an anthem for WW seems decent.
I'm already working on the red/white version.

yx7kdlyinsl31.jpg

This card could be used in the RW version, but it feels much more at home in the WB version which will have sac effects you can use the tokens for.

TAFAE

Aug 27, 2018
Michigan
I'm already working on the red/white version.

yx7kdlyinsl31.jpg

This card could be used in the RW version, but it feels much more at home in the WB version which will have sac effects you can use the tokens for.

Yeah, I think Wb is probably what I'm looking at but not necessarily for sac purposes. Knight of the Ebon Legion for a great 1 drop that plays in the long game, Midnight Reaper for card draw, and maybe Corpse Knight if it turns out I can really churn out creatures.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
Yeah, I think Wb is probably what I'm looking at but not necessarily for sac purposes. Knight of the Ebon Legion for a great 1 drop that plays in the long game, Midnight Reaper for card draw, and maybe Corpse Knight if it turns out I can really churn out creatures.
Corpse Knight and Worthy Knight were made to go together.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
EEINe7qUwAAQ3f6

Interesting design. Though wasn't MaRo just saying this is out of color for red? lol

Yeah, seems really fun to play against. If you're playing against it and have a hand full of duds you can take four to get a shot to draw into gas, really fun risk/ reward on both sides.

Seems like a lot of pushed creatures, hopefully we'll have a more interesting Standard environment than the constant stream of control and mono-red I've faced recently (though I haven't played much in the last month or so).

Nov 2, 2017
Kenrith not being a knight is a bit of a bummer based on the whole theming of the thing.

Kinda wish they'd go for something other than white for 5-colour identity commanders. Other than Najeela, aren't all the mono-colour 5-colour identity commanders white?

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Syr Elenora the Discerning; Stolen by the Fae; Ayara, First of Locthwain; The Royal Scions variant art
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
elenora_6078179.jpg

Syr Elenora the Discerning - 3UU
Legendary Creature - Human Knight
~ power is equal to the number of cards in your hand.
When ~ enters the battlefield, draw a card.
Spells your opponents cast that target ~ cost 2 more to cast.
*/4

image0.jpg

Stolen by the Fae - XUU
Sorcery
Return target creature with converted mana cost X to its owners hand. Create X 1/1 blue Faerie creature tokens with flying.

o8nb2u9qhyl31.jpg

Yes, the official preview cut off the power and toughness. Apparently it's a 2/3.

And the alternate art for The Royal Scions
image0.jpg

Last edited:

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Spinning Wheel is a clever way to work both tales into a single card.

Flavorwise, I do think they went to far too little effort when making these feel like Magic's spin on Fairy Tales. Nothing feels recontextualized or altered. They just seem rhe same thing with slightly different names and maybe a little more grimdark, but only a little more.

It feels half-hearted. Like they really wanted to do the Arthurian Camelot set and when no one cared they tossed the fairytale stuff in with no real effort. And seeing as how I couldn't give a damn about the Arthurian aspect this is rather disappointing.

Oct 25, 2017
They just keep making these cards be completely on the nose. No subtlety whatsoever.

"Hey, let's make the gingerbread man."

"Okay, he's edible so he has the food mechanic on him."

"Yeah yeah! And he's fast right? Nobody can catch him? So he gets haste!"

"Yeah yeah yeah! And nobody else can catch him either because he's too fast. So he's unblockable!"

"But that's not right. He's not unblockable; everybody else is just too slow. What if you could only block him if you were also fast?"

"So he's unblockable except by other creatures with haste?"

"Perfect - ship it."

TAFAE

Aug 27, 2018
Michigan
Gingerbrute seems pretty playable in Cavalcade Red aggro.

The whole set so far seems like a case of bad taste but great execution. A lot of the art is good, the mechanics are flavorful, but the creative direction is just Shrek-level references to fairy tales.

Trapped in the Tower; Beloved Princess; True Love's Kiss; Inquisitive Puppet
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

The article mentions they gave the artists more freedom to draw what they wanted, but I feel like this had a negative side effect. I remember an interview with the Mirage era art director, and she mentioned that artists tend to draw white people unless instructed otherwise, and I think we're seeing a lot of that here. So many of the non-legendary humans are white, much more so than past sets, it seems.

On that note, three cards depicting white princesses.

en_ZpwABnwllq.png
en_x8ft1vFGDU.png
en_ewWGFTZJ4q.png

Trapped in the Tower is neat. Note Faerie Guidemother can save creatures from the tower. Beloved Princess has tons of dangers lurking in the art.

And a white puppet
en_rbvLMCAiZE.png

Great design here too.

People are bringing up the lack of twists with the fairy tale tropes, and I think making them, well, not white would have helped a lot.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017

First time it's technically possible to submit an illegal deck in limited by failing to submit an actual deck and just shuffling up what you opened in sealed or drafted in draft with no other changes

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
lol I mean it's just funny to me how blatantly unoriginal these cards are right now

No sense in even getting mad about it, I've accepted that it's Shrek the Gathering

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It's weird, I love most/maybe even all of these cards individually but I think I hate this set as a whole.

The one card I'm not in love with is Pinocchio up there? Why doesn't he have a bluff mechanic (lying) that makes his nose grow longer (+1/0 counters, he attacks with his nose)?

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
Amonkhet and Ixalan did much better with putting twists on their inspirations. Eldraine like that would have been cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.