• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Epic Downfall
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
unknown.png

All this exiling we're seeing is likely because Theros: Beyond Death has a graveyard theme.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
For those not aware, in the past, World Championship winners (or whatever it was back then) used to design a single card and it would be included in a future set with their face on the art. The last one of these was Snapcaster Mage in Innistrad, I believe. They brought this program back, but now the champion just chooses an existing card for their face to be on.
Invitationals were similar but separate to WCs. They also often had weird formats they were held in

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
Auras, Equipment, and Vehicles are all common subtypes with rules meanings. Food is pretty much the same thing as Clues.
I'm being picky here, but again, Auras, Equipment, and Vehicles all have associated abilities in the text box. Enchant, Equip, and Crew. Similarly, the Clue subtype doesn't have any rules meaning at all; the ability to sac them is spelled out in the ability that creates the clue, Investigate. Just having an artifact with the type Equipment or Clue doesn't do you any good on its own; they need that external ability written on them. Foods don't. If you somehow were able to change the type of a Clue to Food, it would gain the ability to sac for life, but wouldn't lose the ability to sac for a card; if you did the opposite and turned a Food into a Clue, it would have no ability to sac at all.

I know they're pretty much the same in the end. (I'm not even sure it's possible to change the type like I mentioned above; I can't think of a card that does it, anyway.) But I'm not complaining about the gameplay. I'm just weirded out by the change in templating/implementation.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
EENxyyRX4AE2lgE

I think I just heard Ashodin faint.

Wow, I love this! I was really fearing the new Championship card was gonna be another boring control card but this is amazing. I wonder if this can enable a Boros or RWx Stoneblade aggro deck? Equipping swords for free is pretty fucking good.

For those not aware, in the past, World Championship winners (or whatever it was back then) used to design a single card and it would be included in a future set with their face on the art. The last one of these was Snapcaster Mage in Innistrad, I believe. They brought this program back, but now the champion just chooses an existing card for their face to be on.

I believe the Champion gets a selection of designs to choose from now instead of straight up designing their own card.

Reave Soul

Koz

Sep 5, 2018
I saw the 5UU instant and started having Nexus flashbacks. Actually really good for any sort of mill deck and probably any control deck by late game. Or maybe any deck, 7 cards in the yard is not a lot.

g92j16qj92m31.png

And here's the "that doesn't look like a Cast Down reprint" black removal card.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I'm okay with answers being restricted if it's a prelude to no longer printing unanswerable problems.

But that probably won't happen.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
I'm being picky here, but again, Auras, Equipment, and Vehicles all have associated abilities in the text box. Enchant, Equip, and Crew. Similarly, the Clue subtype doesn't have any rules meaning at all; the ability to sac them is spelled out in the ability that creates the clue, Investigate. Just having an artifact with the type Equipment or Clue doesn't do you any good on its own; they need that external ability written on them. Foods don't. If you somehow were able to change the type of a Clue to Food, it would gain the ability to sac for life, but wouldn't lose the ability to sac for a card; if you did the opposite and turned a Food into a Clue, it would have no ability to sac at all.

I know they're pretty much the same in the end. (I'm not even sure it's possible to change the type like I mentioned above; I can't think of a card that does it, anyway.) But I'm not complaining about the gameplay. I'm just weirded out by the change in templating/implementation.

I'm 98% sure this is incorrect. If the Food subtype had rules baggage, the "2T Sac: gain life" clause on Gingerbrute and Golden Egg would be reminder text instead of rules text. That's how they handled Wall back when it had rules baggage, as well as some scenario I vaguely recall where they printed the basics with reminder text instead of the icon. Really what we're seeing is "create a Food token" being treated as a keyword, and that keyword including the necessary rules.

I just did some digging, and apparently the August 2019 update to the comprehensive rules paved the way for this:

111.10. Some effects instruct a player to create a predefined token. These effects use the definition below to determine the characteristics the token is created with. The effect that creates a predefined token may also modify or add to the predefined characteristics.
111.10a A Treasure token is a colorless Treasure artifact token with "{T}, Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color."

And now the Oracle text for Sailor of Means is "When Sailor of Means enters the battlefield, create a Treasure token. (It's an artifact with "T, Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color.") "

Food's going to hop in that list as 111.10b, presumably. It's really just a way to have the effect of Investigate or Treasure without needing a verb keyword that means "create a Whatever token with these characteristics" or spelling out the characteristics like they did every time with Treasure tokens.

That said, it does look like Adventure has rules baggage, which is sad. They've done a good job of moving that out of the subtype from back in the days of Wall and Enchant Creature. I'd've preferred if they'd used Adventure as a key word in the spell half, a la Aftermath.

GoutPatrol

Oct 30, 2017
I saw the 5UU instant and started having Nexus flashbacks. Actually really good for any sort of mill deck and probably any control deck by late game. Or maybe any deck, 7 cards in the yard is not a lot.

g92j16qj92m31.png

And here's the "that doesn't look like a Cast Down reprint" black removal card.

Reave Soul is a reprint, and common. It's fine for what is supposed to be.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm okay with Sorcerous Spyglass as the kind of card that's always in Standard. It's a fine replacement for Pithing Needle.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
That "can't be blocked except by creatures with haste" the gingerbread man has feels like it could be made into an evergreen keyword maybe? It's pretty easy to grok (fast creature can't be blocked by slow ones).

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That "can't be blocked except by creatures with haste" the gingerbread man has feels like it could be made into an evergreen keyword maybe? It's pretty easy to grok (fast creature can't be blocked by slow ones).
Let's use confusing french naming and name this keyword "double haste"

(in french, first strike is initiative, double strike is double initiative)

Oct 25, 2017

It doesn't make sense for an evergreen keyword; hasty creatures are (generally speaking) meant to attack every turn (or as often as possible). Usually if you're putting hasty creatures in your deck, you're playing a deck where blocking isn't part of the gameplan. So encouraging hasty creatures to block isn't something they're going to do very often.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
If we were still doing numbered editions of the core set (ie, nothing but reprints), Sorcerer's Spyglass is probably a card I would be reprinting each time until something better came along that could replace it. Glad to see that they are keeping it in Standard.

Into the Story is a cool design that might be playable if there is a UB/x control deck in the format. It seems insane in the mirror, if nothing else.

Oakhame Adversary; Redcap Melee; Specter's Shriek

Koz

Sep 5, 2018
Bunch of spoilers just released. Here are the Japanese ones from Shouta Yasooka:

6vajp1aj86m31.png

Oakhame Adversary(?)

Creature - Elf Warrior
3G
This spell costs 2 less to cast if an opponent controls a green permanent.
Deathtouch
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, draw a card.
2/3

w30wcsmy86m31.png

Red Cap Brawl

Instant
R
Red Cap Brawl deals 4 damage to target creature or planeswalker. If it deals damage to a non-red permanent, you sacrifice a land.

48hbpnjn96m31.png

Sorcery
B
Target opponent reveals his or her hand. You may choose a non-land card from the opponent's hand. If you do, opponent exiles that card. If a non-black card was exiled in this way, exile a card from your hand.

TAFAE

Aug 27, 2018
Michigan
Those last two from Shouta seem like the start of a potentially interesting cycle. One colored mana for something that might normally cost 1C or CC, but downside if not used on the same color. As is tradition, the red one seems pretty poor, but the black one seems sideboard playable.

1 red mana knight seems very good. Guessing that WR knight weenies will be a thing.

SFM is definitely not getting printed into Standard, but I would bet $$ that she'll be in the next Masters set.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Those last two from Shouta seem like the start of a potentially interesting cycle. One colored mana for something that might normally cost 1C or CC, but downside if not used on the same color. As is tradition, the red one seems pretty poor, but the black one seems sideboard playable.
Not the start of the cycle. The green creature is a part of it and we saw the blue counter spell that's cheaper when targetting blue spells a few days ago.

Ardenvale Tactician; Merchant of the Vale; Wandermare
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

Article explaining how adventures came to be.
* First came the roar mechanic in Ixalan, which acted like adventures do now more or less, but only went on expensive dinosaurs. You'd hear the dinosaur roaring in the distance, which would do something, and you could cast it later from exile.
* Later, they put channel from Kamigawa block into the set, but that didn't add enough decision points, so they added the ability to cast it after you channel it. Then they wanted it to be counterable.
* There were both adventures, and a splashier mechanic calls quests, which was a discarded Zendikar mechanic. People confused the names of the two a lot internally, especially once they tried switching them around.
* As part of Project Booster Fun, they wanted a mechanic that could get a fancy frame treatment. This led to adventures getting the "creature with a spell" aspect, which also addressed them wanting adventures to be counterable. This also led to quest's removal, as it didn't need to be the splashy mechanic anymore.

en_N7O7Lha07f.png
en_zSUxKmm2v4.png
en_MEqMAUAxTa.png

Merchant of the Vale looks like it could be good in nonrotating formats. In Limited, it not having to tap for its ability should be big.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Merchant of the Vale may be the Faithless Looting replacement for Phoenix and Dredge decks. Obviously not as good but the fact that the Adventure is instant speed is pretty good, not to mention you have the body to cast instead of the flashback.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I continue to enjoy all of the knights and classical fantasy stuff in the set. I think its really just the fairy tales that's bugging me

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
There are so many tools in this set for my Mono White 1-or-less-CMC EDH deck, this is insane.

Oct 25, 2017
It's an artifact for flavor reasons I suppose? That's a weird card. I guess Red is happy to be able to interact with that in Limited.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Glass Casket is a good band. I appreciate that this is not a reference to them, but it's still fun for me as a fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.