• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sundering Stroke
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

EEX_aeBWwAEK13j

Trying to make Big Red a thing, with super adamant.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Wizards: let's put a brand new card that will be an EDH staple for years in this product to guarantee it sells well

Also Wizards: WE HAD NO IDEA THESE DECKS WOULD BE THIS POPULAR

Fires of Invention
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

20199141845779_2.jpg

Forge of Invention - 3R
Enchantment
You can cast spells only on your turn, and at most two spells on your turn.
You may cast spells with converted mana cost less than or equal to the number of lands you control without paying their mana costs.

Pretty interesting. You can use lands for abilities and then cast spells without paying their mana costs.

Last edited:

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
You can also obviously just use all your mana for on-card mana sinks, like Firebreathing or (more obviously, given the flavor) equipping.

Deleted member 29293

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
WotC is designing this set with mono-colored limited decks in mind. That's a solid curve filler for such a deck. It'll be one of the pieces that make those decks work.
Mono color? I doubt it. Sure, there is a mechanic that benefits casting with lots of one color but if you end up mono color your deck sucks. A 3/3 for 3 that on turn 3 will more often than not be a 2/2 for 3 is just not good enough imo.
Yeah I wouldn't be unhappy playing a potential 3/3 for 3. In limited that's amazing stats.
It's fine stats, but too unreliable for a turn 3 play. And at turn 6 it's not impressive anymore.

Feb 16, 2018
forge of invention is scary

all you need is a little bit of card advantage and it waives its own mana cost. seems pretty free unless you really care about casting 3 spells a turn

on later turns, it lets you use the extra land(s) the same turn you put a tapped land into play (eg. shockland, temple, gate, gainland, field of the dead, and things like growth spiral / circuitous route / risen reef / golos / green cavalier)

and then it has all these other modes of letting someone spend 15 mana at once. those decks won't be too consistent, but that doesn't mean you won't face them. random stuff like:
  • planeswalkers ultimating the same turn they're played because of planewide celebration (4x proliferate) or elderspell
  • red cavalier & friends haste attacking for 20 from an empty board
  • ral storm conduit or reverberation copying stuff

getting to actually spend mana on activated abilities is just extra. might even be able to slot those in for free if we get creature lands or if food tokens are regularly consumed

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Mono color? I doubt it. Sure, there is a mechanic that benefits casting with lots of one color but if you end up mono color your deck sucks. A 3/3 for 3 that on turn 3 will more often than not be a 2/2 for 3 is just not good enough imo.
Mono draft strategies were definitely viable in Shadowmoor block (Chroma), Zendikar block (lands) and Theros block (Devotion) among others. I did it myself a few times. It just depends on the payoff cards and how deep the colour is and its commons.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for my Golos Superfriend Control EDH deck. Have been asking around but no response. I picked up a Tabernacle and a Nethervoid this weekend and took out a Land for Tabernacle and removed Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker for Nether Void. I want to maybe try and fit in Smothering Tithe and maybe replace Force of Negation with Narset's Reversal.

Any constructive criticism is welcome.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Giant Opportunity would be a fun build-around if the token had Trample, but without it it's probably going to be pretty niche.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for my Golos Superfriend Control EDH deck. Have been asking around but no response. I picked up a Tabernacle and a Nethervoid this weekend and took out a Land for Tabernacle and removed Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker for Nether Void. I want to maybe try and fit in Smothering Tithe and maybe replace Force of Negation with Narset's Reversal.

I would replace the chromatic lantern unless you want it for convenience sake. If this is powerlevel you're playing at, mystic remora will do more work than rhystic study imo. Also with DT and Seasons Past you could run an extra turn that doesn't exile itself to loop the 3.

Narset Transcendent is really bad imo. Jace, Unraveler of Mysteries has a very strong Ultimate and is generically decent. Jace AoT also is remarkably strong to ult immediately. Expropriate and Merciless Eviction are a tad expensive in a deck already full of expensive Planeswalkers.

I would also consider playing at least a basic of each type that's not mountain or at least those that will let you play a disenchant of your choice through a back to basics.

Last edited:

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would replace the chromatic lantern unless you want it for convenience sake. If this is powerlevel you're playing at, mystic remora will do more work than rhystic study imo. Also with DT and Seasons Past you could run an extra turn that doesn't exile itself to loop the 3.

Narset Transcendent is really bad imo. Teferi, Unraveler of Mysteries has a very strong Ultimate and is generically decent. Jace AoT also is remarkably strong to ult immediately. Expropriate and Merciless Eviction are a tad expensive in a deck already full of expensive Planeswalkers.

I would also consider playing at least a basic of each type that's not mountain or at least those that will let you play a disenchant of your choice through a back to basics.

Thanks for the suggestions. Back to the lab it is then.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the suggestions. Back to the lab it is then.
The deck looks very strong so you won't have to change much. I played something very similar with Narset Enlightened Master as the commander playing every fast mana rock available to power her out ASAP but foregoing any interaction for Planeswalkers and it did good work because you'd just poop out more PWs than people can handle at once. I'd often end up losing to Cyclonic Rift however or Zealous Conscripts stealing a Planeswalker and ulting them.

Oct 28, 2017

What's your goal? What's the power level?

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
It's part of the cycle of self color-hosers. It's not surprising that the two that are creatures are the most playable in limited. The red one is really strong as well.

Oct 25, 2017
It's part of the cycle of self color-hosers. It's not surprising that the two that are creatures are the most playable in limited. The red one is really strong as well.

It didn't register to me as part of that cycle until you said it because it doesn't read like the others at all (which have similar templating). I really hope you're right and that's all there is, because it read to me like another cycle of protection creatures at uncommon.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I have to think they see the Kaladesh version of dwarves as a failure. I meant to write into Maro to ask and I forgot.

TAFAE

Aug 27, 2018
Michigan
Yeah, Drown in the Loch looks good. Seems like it will easily find a spot in Esper, especially since it's not dead to a resolved Teferi. I wonder if it might even be modern playable, since the majority of decks fill up their graveyard to the relevant level with fetches/cantrips/removal pretty quickly so it's often just going to be a 2cmc counterspell. The only problem is the decks that run those colors may not need it: GDS probably doesn't want a 2 cmc counter or removal over either Fatal Push or Stubborn Denial. Maybe in Whirza though, and there's always the more fringe decks like Esper and Grixis control.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone loved the design, but we weren't sure whether an animated cookie was right for the set. We joked that he was at the line. We just weren't sure which side of the line he fell on. Obviously, in the end, he stayed, but there were other things that we chose not to do. Probably the largest category was talking animals. For instance, early design had a Puss in Boots–inspired card. We decided that in this world, we'd let animals have a little more agency than normal (you could ask a duck to fetch you a key, for example), but them talking or acting like a human was over the line.

...so then what's the story on Flaxen Intruder supposed to be?

Yorvo, Lord of Garenbrig
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
3av76glmdzm31.png

Yorvo
Legendary Creature - Giant Noble
Yorvo enters the battlefield with four +1/+1 counters.
Whenever another green creature enters the battlefield under your control, put a +1/+1 counter on Yorvo. Then if that creature has greater power, put another +1/+1 counter on Yorvo.

Seems good.

Status
Not open for further replies.