• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2017
castlegarenbrig.jpg

This seems playable in a Stompy list, if not amazing. The white one could still be junk though, lol.

This is the first card from the set I'll actually play in EDH.

Oct 25, 2017
That's a really interesting upside on a 5CC wrath. I just don't know if any deck that wants a wrath would ever want to tap out at sorcery speed for a vanilla beater, no matter how big it was.

TAFAE

Aug 27, 2018
Michigan
I think that the giant could definitely see Standard play as a Control finisher. There are likely going to be lots of decks (like anything not playing black or Oko) that just don't have any hope of permanently removing a 7/7, and even then it's still a Wrath that gives you a big beater you can threaten to cast from exile later on and maybe tie up their removal. Vigilance is pretty relevant text on this kind of creature too. Maybe you don't make this your only way to win the game, but it can give you another win condition without costing a card slot. Also, cool art on this guy, both versions. Love the idea of a giant literally wearing the terrain.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
One thing I appreciate about Magic is that for basically any card, there will always be someone saying "This would be perfect for my ~ EDH deck".

Sep 14, 2018
The wrath is top tier, a free threat that doesn't take up room is incredible for control. It's not unusual to have a lot of mana and no proactive plays to make.

Now if only we could get a good counterspell, there should be one left but as long as Teferi is in Standard we may have to settle for Mystical Dispute...

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The wrath is top tier, a free threat that doesn't take up room is incredible for control. It's not unusual to have a lot of mana and no proactive plays to make.

Now if only we could get a good counterspell, there should be one left but as long as Teferi is in Standard we may have to settle for Mystical Dispute...
watch out for the blue mythic adventure :^)

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
Those rare lands look really powerful to me.

So i ask you guys this question

who is the GOAT player of Magic is it Kai or is it Jon?

Finkel for me, more consistent finishes and a lifetime winrate 1-2 percentage points higher. The pros seem to see him as a level above even the other great players, as well: like I think Kai might even say he considers Finkel a better player.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, MTG Elo Project has done great work compiling some of these stats.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If control is tapping 7 mana at sorcery speed, hasn't it already won anyway?

Alternade

Oct 27, 2017
Whew I could not have been more off on those lands lol

The red one looks deceptively good. Its not a big effect but when you have 3-4 1/1s that extra power suddenly becomes so much more relevant. Green is good in ramp decks if thats a thing in standard, and the black I would see having more use in EDH than anywhere.

That wrath spell is super weird and why god why is it mythic???

Feb 16, 2018
If control is tapping 7 mana at sorcery speed, hasn't it already won anyway?

not all games involve drawing perfectly or normally

there are so many times you get to low life and opponents draw 1 threat and you don't draw the answer. maybe you draw a land. maybe you draw a counterspell or discard spell the turn after. maybe you draw a removal that doesn't hit that particular threat. having a random card in your exile zone that can both block stuff and attack a planeswalker is good.

and there's the huge upside of opposing duress not being able to deal with it. feels like wotc repeats the same mistake of making duress a bad card. between torrential gearhulk, nexus of fate, and this sorcery (whose type is creature), these spell-based decks have been on easy mode

i don't know if it's enough to be a true win condition for do-nothing control because it can just die to removal, but combining this with some planeswalkers will make it easier to end games (and more importantly, faster).

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
I really like all of these Adventure support cards, but aren't we getting into Maro's parasitic set design territory? Or does that not apply since most of these are limited-focused?

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I really like all of these Adventure support cards, but aren't we getting into Maro's parasitic set design territory? Or does that not apply since most of these are limited-focused?
Some parasitic mechanics are fine, especially when, like you mentioned, these cards are aimed solely for Limited.

Oct 25, 2017
CARDNAME enters the battlefield tapped unless you control a Plains.
Tap: Add W.
2WW, Tap: Create a white 1/1 Human creature token.

Really good.

...there you go. This is the kind of win condition Control really wants. Nobody wants to pay 7 mana at sorcery speed for a 7/7 vanilla. You would much rather pay 5 mana at instant speed for 1/1 vanilla that's attached to a land.

(Obviously if that Giant is the best viable wrath you're not going to turn it down, but that certainly isn't going to be your gameplan)

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
The mana bases are about to get awful. No replacement dual land cycle is one of the most impactful changes in the new set.

Esper might still be around if the format is slow enough that the life gain lands don't cripple you too much, but I think people are going to have to work on UB or UW instead.

TAFAE

Aug 27, 2018
Michigan
Do people really think Esper will still work like it does now when it's missing 3 checks?

I saw someone else mention Esper a few pages back and I'm like what Esper?

People seem to be playing it in the Arena 2020 Standard event and it's still working out most of the time. Mana is definitely more shaky but it's not impossible. Shards are definitely in a worse spot than wedges with only one relevant temple though, that's for sure. I think a control deck like Esper that gets to run like all of the sweepers may still be able to make it work.

Feb 16, 2018
esper midrange (eg. hero of precinct one) has ok mana
esper control (narsets & kaya's wrath) loses much more

new white land might revive this jank if you liked it:
da3789d4-3621-44a1-bb72-8e3bbac8bf72.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Neither half is particularly efficient, but it's quite flexible. Seems like a card you would never cut but won't be drafting highly.

Status
Not open for further replies.