• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 16, 2018
EEseW6UXUAE3Qda.png

this might be the best set for rescue in a long time

you get the normal uses and then extra utility in this environment

the adventure can return lands for mana fixing (eg. casting adamant spells). also returns adventure creatures to rebuy value.

if you have two of these, you can loop them to fog a big creature

looks interesting

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I'mma go to prerelease and I'mma pick up my box and I'mma probably sub for the Arena pass but my excitement is minimal.

Why oh why does WotC not seem to care about my opinions on sets, I cannot figure it out.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love my Marauding Raptor and he's basically my deck mascot/what carried me to top 1000 Mythic, but I'm so excited for Garruk.

Jund vs. Golgari will be a tough choice for me in this upcoming set.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The rakdos knight is solid. You draw first and put pressure as 2/2 menace is decent for that. Cast 2 drill bits turn 3 pre combat 😎 .

Unexplained Vision; Vantress Paladin

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Oct 25, 2017
So are they expecting you to be mono-colored? Or just empowering you to be mono-colored? There are still powerful gold uncommons out there. This is kind of a weird mechanic to be pushed for draft TBH.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So are they expecting you to be mono-colored? Or just empowering you to be mono-colored? There are still powerful gold uncommons out there. This is kind of a weird mechanic to be pushed for draft TBH.

WotC's expectation is that most players will go two colors but there may be a couple drafters in each pod that are mono-colored.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Adamant is kinda basic but it encourages you to build a 75/25 deck if you get good adamant cards, which is something for draft complexity I guess.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering if lore wise cards like Into the Story and Unexplained Visions are the reason why a lot of the fairy tale references are on the nose. Maybe they're just stories in Eldraine, too... Or they were.

But then again they've probably already debunked that.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm wondering if lore wise cards like Into the Story and Unexplained Visions are the reason why a lot of the fairy tale references are on the nose. Maybe they're just stories in Eldraine, too... Or they were.

But then again they've probably already debunked that.
I could accept a "stories came to life via Magic" angle at this point, but the story from the book is out there and this wasn't part of it as far as I know.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Unexplained Vision is 100% in the book.
Yes, it is, maybe I misunderstood the post I quoted?

I took the moment of Unexplained Visions to be foreshadowing of future events for the planeswalkers twins.

I do not believe things like Seven Dwarves and Sorcerers Broom are due to an in-universe fairy tales come to life angle.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Note to self: do not take food from ladies wearing baby arm necklaces.

Koz

Sep 5, 2018
I've been brewing up a food-based deck and the henge would go nicely into it. It shouldn't be too hard to bop out a 7 power creature pretty early.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
//Creatures (25):
2 Midnight Reaper
2 Izoni, Thousand-Eyed
3 Tithe Taker
3 Orzhov Enforcer
3 Priest of Forgotten Gods
4 Seraph of the Scales
4 Teysa Karlov
2 Cruel Celebrant
2 Corpse Knight

//Planeswalkers (4):
2 Vraska, Golgari Queen
2 Liliana, Dreadhorde General

//Non-creature Spells (8):
2 Kaya's Wrath
2 Mortify
2 Prison Realm
2 Moldervine Reclamation

//Lands (23):
4 Plains
4 Swamp
3 Forest
4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Temple Garden
4 Godless Shrine
So this is what I've been running in the Standard 2020 event in addition to Rakdos Aristocrats and I've had so much fun with it. The early game can be a little spotty, but it stabilizes hard and then just draws you all the cards in the world, giving you endless flexibility. Its got removal coming out the wazoo, and while much of it is symmetrical, it's built to generate upside whenever I lose a creature.

It's just really satisfying.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Is this Legacy playable? Bolt for every brainstorm, ponder, preordain and a big butt to block
Three mana for a 0/4 that doesn't do much makes it a tough sell for me off the bat. One extra bolt a turn is nice but you need card draw or this is basically a 3 mana wall.

I've definitely misevaluated in the past admittedly. Let me ask you this: what deck do you play it in? And then what do you remove for it?

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
The henge would have been a lot of fun if Ghalta, Traxos, and Sarkhan's Unsealing weren't going away. Still probably going in plenty of decks.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
T1 Arboreal Grazer
T2 Rotting Regisaur
T3 Henge

Golgari stompy confirmed :^]

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Three mana for a 0/4 that doesn't do much makes it a tough sell for me off the bat. One extra bolt a turn is nice but you need card draw or this is basically a 3 mana wall.

I've definitely misevaluated in the past admittedly. Let me ask you this: what deck do you play it in? And then what do you remove for it?
Dreadhorde Arcanist is just better for a similar effect.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All this golgari ramp potential makes me think some Garruk shenanigans will be very possible. Regisaur into Henge, Grazer or Goose into Inc Druid, T4 Garruk is very doable.

Even with spell tax, turn 2 regisaur into turn 3 nullhide into turn 4 henge means turn 5 Garruk on an already crazy field.

Can use Deathsprout to remove a threat and get him out earlier too.

Wonder how that might blend with Arkbow Viv. Having her pump things up and give the Reggiesaur trample makes it unable to be chump blocked and creates a lot of threats.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Problem being t4 garruk isn't very threatening

I think it will be in the new slower meta. Sure PW removal is still a thing but That's hard removal or 2 tokens to turn he drops and you likely already have a wall of blockers that demand answer as well such as rotting regisaur by then

Oct 25, 2017
The green fetchable land is a little disappointing IMO. Food isn't going to be an mechanic we see outside of Standard (if that) so the fetchability isn't really going to matter.

Unless we get fetchlands in Standard when we go back to Zendikar.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I actually like that green land. Compared to the plains or swamp in the cycle, you don't need to meet some other condition in order to get value out of it. You just always get a Food token.

Sep 14, 2018
I think it will be in the new slower meta. Sure PW removal is still a thing but That's hard removal or 2 tokens to turn he drops and you likely already have a wall of blockers that demand answer as well such as rotting regisaur by then

This is best case scenario thinking, your opponent is also putting up threats and removing your stuff, Garruk is a bunch of nothing, might as well run Liliana or Ugin.

Status
Not open for further replies.