• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brazen Borrower
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I actually like that green land. Compared to the plains or swamp in the cycle, you don't need to meet some other condition in order to get value out of it. You just always get a Food token.
It needs to enter untapped to get the Food.

7gVCLht.png

Feels odd as a mythic rare, but a Disperse with a creature seems good.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Brazen Borrower is extremely good. Simic Flash and Control decks will play it, I think. Petty Theft slows down your opponent's tempo without putting you down a card, and the body can be used like a control finisher.

Koz

Sep 5, 2018
Yeah it's a good card, just not what we normally see at Mythic. It will see play in Simic Flash and is a nice combo with Wishclaw Talisman to bounce it back.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
We're all going to be complaining endlessly about losing to that faerie by Christmas time.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is best case scenario thinking, your opponent is also putting up threats and removing your stuff, Garruk is a bunch of nothing, might as well run Liliana or Ugin.

True but Golgari has access to loads of cheap removal, and unless they can remove both Regi and Incubation druid you'll ramp hard in them. I think if you wanna make a Garruk/Vivien deck you can. It might not be top tier but I make Mythic every season with homebrew jank in arena so as long as it can do that I'm happy.

Liliana and Ugin are only fun if you're not going for Golgari Stompy, which I am.

Feb 16, 2018
borrower isn't too strong as a card, but lots of decks are going to have games where you just lose to that counter/flash deck without really getting to play

the card actually seems fun in other decks, but i expect the deck that plays it most isn't going to be fun to face hundreds of times

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Flavor's off on this one. "Tempting" Witch doesn't "tempt" the other player--no interaction from the target player is needed to lose the life. The player sac'ing the Food token is the one "eating" it, but it's the other player losing life. Weird.
Flavor's fine. The player who controls the Witch is sacrificing the food, but that's because they're giving it to the opponent, who is compelled to eat it and lose life. The word "tempting" often refers more to a proposed deal (something like demon cards' "you get a big creature but lose life each turn"), but the trope they're going after is less transactional and more deceptive: the (obvious to viewers/readers) bad guy offers food to the naive protagonist, who eats it and bad things happen.

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
The card is way less powerful in draft than rares they regularly print, imo. I think it's a pretty egregious case of "mythic for power level reasons." (The card is really, really powerful in constructed, I think.)

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, power level wise it's closer to a Riftwing Cloudskate than anything else.

Yes I'm aware it's stronger. But it's not Mythic strong.

Sep 14, 2018
True but Golgari has access to loads of cheap removal, and unless they can remove both Regi and Incubation druid you'll ramp hard in them. I think if you wanna make a Garruk/Vivien deck you can. It might not be top tier but I make Mythic every season with homebrew jank in arena so as long as it can do that I'm happy.

Liliana and Ugin are only fun if you're not going for Golgari Stompy, which I am.

Oh then by all means, have fun lol. I never play meta decks either, just janky combos and or hard control. I'm currently trying to figure out what I'm doing with Atemsis.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao homie just one-shot me with Explosion, that's what I get for being too aggro and eating Gates Ablazes too much

SpEnCx.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I can name like four or five different reasons why it's better than Riftwing Cloudskate.

Well yeah. I mean, I said I knew it was stronger.

But fundamentally, the "current set mechanic's riff on Man-o-War" is not new, clever, or exciting. It's not Mythic. That's the point. I picked on Cloudskate because it's the one I thought of first that lets you amortize the mana payment.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
The adventure on it makes it incredibly more versatile. The adventure doubler artifact, lots of pay offs for adventures, etc.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017

I'm okay with it as being the sort of "green removal" solution (flash deathtouch blockers), but just generically good creatures you can Flash in while sitting behind counters is kind of garbo, yeah.

The fact we just had a three-set Ravnica block and all of Simic's actual gimmicks are being ignored in favor of the handful of Simic creatures that incidentally have Flash is kind of really garbo. Blue always has to ruin everything.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I'm okay with it as being the sort of "green removal" solution (flash deathtouch blockers), but just generically good creatures you can Flash in while sitting behind counters is kind of garbo, yeah.

The fact we just had a three-set Ravnica block and all of Simic's actual gimmicks are being ignored in favor of the handful of Simic creatures that incidentally have Flash is kind of really garbo. Blue always has to ruin everything.
To be fair, Nightpack Ambusher is a green 4/4 with flash that poops out a 3/3 guaranteed if your opponent is tapped out and you have mana to protect it on your opponent's next turn. That is disgusting value for four mana.

As always, green can do everything but better.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Yeah, Nightpack Ambusher and Spectral Sailor are the two cards I really give side-eye for having Flash. I kind of get it on Ambusher, but on Sailor it's just completely unnecessary. It's a perfectly fine 1/1 Flyer for 1 with a highly relevant activated ability. Why does it have Flash?

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Between Brazen Borrower and Wildborn Preserver, Simic Flash is getting some new nasty tools. Better start packing even more instant speed removal.

Mantle of Tides; Mad Ratter; Improbable Alliance; Bloodhaze Wolverine; Steelgaze Griffin
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
image0.png

image1.png

image2.png

image3.png

image0.jpg

These draw two caring cards seem good, if you can consistently pull it off. Wolverine was already a creature type, BTW. Monoblue griffons aren't new either, though rarer than wolverines.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah. I mean, I said I knew it was stronger.

But fundamentally, the "current set mechanic's riff on Man-o-War" is not new, clever, or exciting. It's not Mythic. That's the point. I picked on Cloudskate because it's the one I thought of first that lets you amortize the mana payment.

I agree that it's certainly not splashy like Mythics should be. It's just another hyper-efficient role player that Wizards wants to push at Mythic rarity in order to sell packs. But the power level isn't the issue.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't really get what searchlands are for. Isn't it better to have a land you can, like, use? Is it just the assured value of grabbing any land you need?

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
Yeah. So if you need a certain color to cast most of your hand, this helps you get what you need when you need it, as you can't assume you'll have the correct mana unless you're monocolor.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I suppose that's gonna be more value with the loss of checklands and no real multi-color replacement this set too. We're down to shocklands and scrylands, which is less than the block had before.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's with all the Cavalcade of Calamity decks in the 2020 event? Yikes.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
It has the double benefit of also removing more lands from your deck so you can increase the chance of you drawing tools instead of lands.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When you're grinding, you want a deck that's fast, cheap, and simple. With Cavalcade you know if you're gonna win or lose by like... turn three.

Makes sense, but seems a bit against the fun spirit of things. Ah well, not my place to decide what's fun.

Feb 16, 2018
we're in a scryland format. don't worry too much about thinning your deck by 1 if you're just going to reshuffle the card you sent to the bottom

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense, but seems a bit against the fun spirit of things. Ah well, not my place to decide what's fun.

Honestly, I agree, but when you tie rewards to wins people will always go for the lowest ceiling. That's why I'm glad the daily rewards are just "do X a bunch of times" - you can decide how you want to earn those numbers, whether you want to bring your optimized deck to best-of-3 or just run some jank in the casual queue.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I agree, but when you tie rewards to wins people will always go for the lowest ceiling. That's why I'm glad the daily rewards are just "do X a bunch of times" - you can decide how you want to earn those numbers, whether you want to bring your optimized deck to best-of-3 or just run some jank in the casual queue.

Yeah, it makes sense. I'm trying to catch up and see if I can hit 100, but I don't like playing grinding decks, so I have two opposing desires I suppose.

Kenrith's Transformation
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
image0.jpg

Frame is because this is the version in promo packs (which stores give out as prizes). Promo packs replace FNM promos.

Anyway, weird to see a green transformation card.

If this seems familiar, that's because this is Oko's ability, but in spell form.

Status
Not open for further replies.