• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
image0.jpg

Frame is because this is the version in promo packs (which stores give out as prizes). Promo packs replace FNM promos.

Anyway, weird to see a green transformation card.

If this seems familiar, that's because this is Oko's ability, but in spell form.

That seems...really good? In limited I think I'm quite happy with this. My green beaters will outclass the 3/3. And it answers bombs and fliers. I think I'd always want one of these in my deck.

Feb 16, 2018
e3c2c66c-f7f0-41d5-a805-a129aeaf1b75.jpg

not sure whether to be annoyed or happy that this doesn't help cast hydroid krasis for X=4 (it only generates green mana)

So Tiny; Deathless Knight; Locthwain Gargoyle

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
So Tiny is the greatest card name in all of magic. Pack it in, the game is over.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I know it's not good but my first thought with Mystic Sanctuary was Miracles lol

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Love to print wincons that require the game to come to a complete halt as you sort through your graveyard to find out if you've won.

(No, but seriously, what a weird card. I kinda dig it).

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Love to print wincons that require the game to come to a complete halt as you sort through your graveyard to find out if you've won.

(No, but seriously, what a weird card. I kinda dig it).
It's going into my Abzan Tokens sideboard. There are games where I'm sitting at 70+ life but my board's stalled out and my deck is near empty.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
Happily never ever.

Edit. I just realized I know nothing about Commander. Carry on :p

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
I know golgari has enough of a subtheme with lifegain (usually as a part of the aristocrat subtheme with saprolings or the like) as to not be unusual, but while I like the concept, it feels a little weird on that knight?

Albeit, the abilities the orzhov knight has makes sense as-is, and golgari's got the graveyard theme down pat....

If nothing else, food tokens certainly create enough of an 'outlet' for it that it presumably works fine, just....feels a bit wonky, I guess?

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
papillon94 asked: Oh I can already hear the barrage of asks about "BUT DIDN'T YOU SAY GREEN TRANSFORMING CREATURES WAS A BREAK!?" from people who seem to think you're some sort of absolute monarch. There are times I really don't envy your role of public face. That being said, Kenrith's Transformation. How'd the discussion on that go down in the Council of Colors?
WARNING: THRONE OF ELDRAINE STORY SPOILER
It was a pretty big discussion. There was a key story point where Oko turns the king into an Elk. The set design team wanted to capture the story point. The idea was a card that transformed a creature into a 3/3 Elk. Normally, the card would be blue, but the hole to fill it was in green.
Green does do transformation but normally only on its own creatures. A straight up spell that works on the opponent's creatures is a break, but the proposal was an aura because in the story the spell gets undone.
We'd had auras which had completely neutered the creature turning it into a 0/4 or a land and those had been breaks, but a 3/3 was more substantial.
After much talk we decided it was more big bend than a break due to all the particulars and decided to allow it as it was key to communicating the story. (We don't do big bends unless there is a strong set reason.)

September 19, 2019

kidror asked: Just wanted to let you know that I like white getting "each player draws a card" to help it draw more cards without covering its weakness. Sorry for all the people who seem to be upset despite being warned about it being a minor change
We've been taking about how to give white card draw in a way that was flavorfully white and didn't undermine its weakness. Everyone draw gives white the ability to get answers while giving the other player's the chance to get more threats.
In retrospect, I shouldn't have said anything and just let people enjoy this card when it previewed. Even with all the stressing of it being a minor thing, I could see people's expectations rising. So, sorry about that. A kessoned learned for me.

September 19, 2019

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
that everyone draws a card somehow made MaRo think it was a minor thing to help white in EDH contrary to completely unplayable shows all you need to know how much MaRo's opinion is worth regarding the format.

He'd be right if there was just 1 other player but in EDH now you've maybe drawn 1 answer and 3 other people had a chance to draw a threat.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
that everyone draws a card somehow made MaRo think it was a minor thing to help white in EDH contrary to completely unplayable shows all you need to know how much MaRo's opinion is worth regarding the format.

He'd be right if there was just 1 other player but in EDH now you've maybe drawn 1 answer and 3 other people had a chance to draw a threat.
One answer could equal a wrath though

Levarthinking.jpg

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah - it's even worse because you've 'only' just cantripped, while providing free cards to the other players (while also simultaneously setting yourself up to be a target with your 'wincon' out on the battlefield) - It's actually card disadvantage, lol. Why anyone would play this outside of some 5-color jank/group hug is beyond me.

I get that one of white's weakness is supposed to be card draw, but geez, even ignoring the convoluted win-con (which means you need to be playing a 5-color deck anyways, aka not mono-white) that's not a great card at all.

Meanwhile green gets another lignify, and the green player is usually both the one who's usually playing bigger creatures, and generally has the best variety of enchantment removal.

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN
If you've built your deck correctly then whatever nonland you draw will either help your wincon or deal directly with whatever they draw.

My Darien deck doesn't give a flying fuck about threats from other players because I have tons of targeted removal/wraths and want them to damage me with their threats anyway. Everyone else's card is inconsequential if the one that I draw locks up the game.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
If you've built your deck correctly then whatever nonland you draw will either help your wincon or deal directly with whatever they draw.

My Darien deck doesn't give a flying fuck about threats from other players because I have tons of targeted removal/wraths and want them to damage me with their threats anyway. Everyone else's card is inconsequential if the one that I draw locks up the game.
that's presuming everyone else built their deck incorrectly, or they would be able to answer anything you put forth as well.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017

that's presuming everyone else built their deck incorrectly, or they would be able to answer anything you put forth as well.

Plus you've let not only one of them, but up to 3 (or more) other players do that - so when the blue player draws a counterspell, or the black gets toxic deluge, the green player gets a krosan grip or a reclamation sage, etc...the odds aren't in your favor - and that's not even counting the other players gaining life also.

There's maybe a bit of political 'goodwill' in having the other players get stuff, but that worth is really, really subjective.

Obviously it's all hypothetical discussion, but even though Maro did say he didn't mean to overhype the card, it doesn't really 'address' white's weakness in that regard - outside of maybe adhering to the 'white is the equalizer' aspect of the color pie.

The card has some edgecase use, but with the 5 color requirement, unless some wonky shenanigans happen you wouldn't even really be running it for the wincon aspect in Darien anyways - and white has several better cantrips and lifegain options.

(As a sidenote, darien would be hilarious to suggest to my buddy to stick in his oloro deck).

I feel like Happily Ever After was made for a Kenrith, the Returned King EDH deck, which seems only fitting.

This is probably the case, yeah.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
something I would have liked more would have been a card that let every player draw up to 7 cards, not as a wheel but just drawing the difference between the current and a full hand of 7. Fits into equalizing while also being really good vs draw control decks

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The lips in that Hushbringer art are bizarre. They're too photoreal. Makes it look cheap.

Reaper of Night
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
From the Deluxe Collection box opening on the stream, with them opening a Collector Booster.

unknown.png

Reaper of Night - 5BB
Creature - Specter (Common)
Whenever Reaper of Night attacks, if defending player has two or fewer cards in hand, it gains flying until end of turn.
==
Harvest Fear - 3B
Sorcery - Adventure
Target opponent discards two cards.

Not great, but 3B discard two cards getting you any kind of big creature that doesn't have a downside isn't bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.