• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rimrock Knight
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
unknown.png

Rimrock Knight - 1R
Creature — Dwarf Knight (Common)
Rimrock Knight can't block.
3/1
///
Boulder Rush - R
Instant — Adventure
Target creature gets +2/+0 until end of turn.

Seems good, though on the lower end of what could conceivably go into a knights deck.

The unboxing also had other unrevealed cards, but the streamers didn't notice them and didn't showcase them, so we don't have good pictures. The cards will all be revealed tomorrow anyway.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Magic stream announced a Throne of Eldraine Mythic Edition, now called Deluxe Collection.

image0.png

unknown.png

This will be $449.99 and go on sale on October 2nd. It will be limited, but will have international shipping.

So as someone not really invested in physical Magic, what's the main source of the cost of this collection? I'm guessing either the art print or the foil sheet?

Barrin

Dec 12, 2017
Fuck, that's ridiculous. I'll stick with the one collectors booster that comes with buying a box.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
the source of the cost is because thats how much they are selling it for

What I mean to ask is: what's the main draw for people buying it? Anything specific or is the whole shebang equally enticing?

It's the Collector Boosters, which are $20-30 each in WotC's hellish post-MSRP world.

I assume they're more than superficially different from normal boosters, I'm guessing more rares?

Moonlit Scavengers; Merfolk Secretkeeper
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I assume they're more than superficially different from normal boosters, I'm guessing more rares?

I describe the contents in the OP.
And the big new addition is collector booster packs. The contents are
  • 1 rare/mythic rare with extended art - This is the only place to get extended art cards
  • 1 foil rare/mythic rare - This can be a foil variant card too
  • 9 foil commons/uncommons - This includes variants
  • 3 special frame cards (showcase or borderless planeswalkers) - For Throne of Eldraine only, this is the only place to find non-foil versions of the common showcase cards
  • 1 ancillary card - This slot is for cards that don't appear in draft booster packs, from Planeswalker Decks and the Buy-a-Box Promo and such.
  • 1 foil token
These go for $20-25.

unknown.png

Moonlit Scavengers - 5U
Creature — Merfolk Rogue (Common)
When Moonlit Scavengers enters the battlefield, if you control an artifact or enchantment, return target creature an opponent controls to its owner's hand.
4/5

Merfolk Secretkeeper - U
Creature - Merfolk Wizard (Common)
0/4
///
Venture Deeper - U
Sorcery - Adventure
Target player puts the top four cards of their library into their graveyard.

Oct 25, 2017
I describe the contents in the OP.

unknown.png

Moonlit Scavengers - 4U
Creature — Merfolk Rogue (Common)
When Moonlit Scavengers enters the battlefield, if you control an artifact or enchantment, return target creature an opponent controls to its owner's hand.
4/5

Merfolk Secretkeeper - U
Creature - Merfolk Wizard (Common)
0/4
///
Venture Deeper - U
Sorcery - Adventure
Target player puts the top four cards of their library into their graveyard.
Scavengers looks like 5U to me.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
A single mouse being the same power and toughness as a human is weird. It being stronger than a goat is even stranger.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Considering no card has been spoiled yet that makes red 1/1 dwarf tokens I'm fairly convinced that's the what the red spell mountain will do

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
New Destroy all Humankind is out
EE3XwGtXoAAD6Qa

unknown.png

Duress hype.

Good chapter.

You know, this series is really zooming through set releases. On one hand, it works for the story of Sawatari and Kanou, but on the other hand the Magic matches have been handled well enough that it's a shame we're missing out on those. Plus it really seems like the two leads will stop playing Magic together by Urza's Destiny. And with Sawatari wanting Kanou to make time for her for Urza's Legacy's release while also mentioning how she's hiding this Magic playing from her mother, I have to imagine it's possible they'll stop playing together by Urza's Legacy, with them being unable to meet up for its release.

Also, with the Eldraine rotation coming up, it's funny timing to see them having to deal with rotation too.

unknown.png

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but does anyone have success selling cards on FB Marketplace/Craigslist? If so, do you usually do a big discount for bulk stuff? Like I have a set of rares that I want to see and go a bit under for what the total would be if I sold them on eBay. Thoughts?

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Say Please appeals to me. I plan to run Golgari next block so please fill my graveyard for me.

Happy Puppy

Oct 29, 2017
I would happily take this trade. I don't want to actually use either Teferi but 3feri is just so miserable to play against.
Sucks for me since I have a lot of fun playing Big Teferi and not finding a substitute in this new pack makes me sad. At least I have Rule of Law for the jank good times, don't know why I love that card. Oh I know why, cause I'm a shit eater.

Didn't Say Please appeals to me. I plan to run Golgari next block so please fill my graveyard for me.
*slots in Ashiok*

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

Full reveal is up

en_H9nB0aPIaB.png
en_r4do1bfA6x.png

Yup, they actually did it.

en_dFiyPscgJB.png

If you really wanted to, you could put an exiled card with Adventure that isn't on an adventure into the graveyard.

en_H2XLt96KLn.png

I like this.

en_vhY0MfAESq.png

Good flavor text.

en_uYo4IFeno4.png

Good Limited removal.

en_l7iTPgpjbV.png

Is this the first non-creature artifact to just have +1/+1 counters on it, instead of charge counters or whatever you remove to put a +1/+1 counter on a creature?

And here are the promo versions

The Bundle promo is the only one with new art.

en_WSiLROED52.png

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
Crashing Drawbridge shits on Battle Rampart from a great height.

And while Weapon Rack is neat, it by all rights should hold equipment.

Koz

Sep 5, 2018
Time to start brewing! I think I'm going to start with a BG (and a splash of U) Food deck centered around Feasting Troll King. I've also been toying around with a UB reanimator deck, though we didn't get any real new tools for it aside from maybe Emry. I'll probably also play some Simic Flash with the new Wildborn Preserver, but otherwise that deck is largely the same.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I could have sworn Weapon Rack was a reprint but it just feels very old-school in its design. Neat

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of one-off good EDH cards in there, lol. Weapon Rack and the Simic fairy are great for any type of +1/+1 counter deck, and there's a lot of white lifegain options - I really like the queen.

Some of the alternate art looks great, but fuuuuuuuuuuuuck spending the 20-25 bucks on a collector's pack.

Set as a whole still feels a bit wonky, though.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You know what's weird? Only two wolves in the whole set, and no wolf tribal at all. Really expected something there!

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm more upset that Piper of the Swarm basically interacts with nothing this set, besides that 4 mana 1/2 goblin. Are there rats on Theros?

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
chocolatechipmarshmallowpizza asked: What is with the decision to give Rimrock Knight can't block instead of attacks each turn if able? Is that still a red/black distinction?
No. We found can't block is just better gameplay, so we let both black and red use it.

September 20, 2019

neotrup asked: The reason Happily Ever After's new card draw isn't exciting me is that it's a cantrip with drawback, and cantrips aren't new to white. If this is opening the door two each player draws as an activated ability, or each player draws two or more, that is exciting though.
We're looking at one shot effects right now, but exploring things like draws greater than one. When trying new things, we usually start conservatively.

September 20, 2019

yggdrasild49 asked: MaRo, While I find symmetrical draw as an interesting test for White, isn't it strictly worse than cantrips? (I thought every color had access to cantrips) Thanks, can't wait to play Eldraine :)
The draw won't always be for one card.

September 20, 2019

justy-moehre asked: Wasn't it you, who said, the solution to white's card draw problem was NOT to make white draw cards. But that is exactly what you did.
I was against it at first, but it was eloquently explained that group card draw (if not too large) wasn't undermining white's weakness because as it draws more answers, its opponents draw more threats.

September 20, 2019

zubi492r69 asked: Hello Mark! Another high five on the overall design of ELD. Everything looks amazing. Howhever, I just have a small complain: I wish big bad wolf would have had a more outstanding card. Each time a wolf has been spoiled, I wondered « is it him? ». None feel like « It is the one ». Hopefully for a return ;-)
The design of the Big Bad Wolf I made, which vision design handed off, exiled a creature of power less than the Wolf (as an "enter the battlefield" effect) for as long as it remained in the battlefield. Yes, this was the reason I included the Banisher Priest ability in green in the Mechanical Color Pie article. But too much of R&D didn't feel comfortable with it in green so it got changed in set design. I was really proud of it as a top-down Big Bad Wolf.

September 20, 2019

mittoo asked: Symmetrical draw in white is great - I think the problem comes from the fact that the first card to feature it is not good in a mono-white deck, where I assume you want the effect to be good (otherwise the answer to white's lack of card advantage is 'add blue' anyway)
You have to start somewhere. Note that the discussion started because this card wanted the effect.

September 20, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.