• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It really is.
I would happily take this trade. I don't want to actually use either Teferi but 3feri is just so miserable to play against.
I judge cards that I don't think should exist, as printed, by if I hate playing them and against them.

I hate playing baby Teferi. It's stupid and I feel dirty. I also hate playing Nissa (ugh) and Thought Erasure (surveil was a lazy set add on that adds too much for control consistency given) and Legion's End (listing this only because of the ability to snipe cards in hand without replacing them, creating some ridiculous card advantage scenarios against aggro.).

Legion's End should really draw cards if it grabs copies in hand.

Questing Beast is going to be a damn guaranteed card that I feel stupid playing. The 2R Giant with the removal adventure, maybe.

Last edited:

Koz

Sep 5, 2018
What does everyone think are the best cards of the set (for whatever format you want)? For standard my pick is Once Upon a Time. There is so much value in that card for a 2 mana instant that can also be a free cast on turn 1. Questing Beast is probably #2, it seems crazy pushed for a 4 drop.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
unknown.png

Rimrock Knight - 1R
Creature — Dwarf Knight (Common)
Rimrock Knight can't block.
3/1
///
Boulder Rush - R
Instant — Adventure
Target creature gets +2/+0 until end of turn.

Seems good, though on the lower end of what could conceivably go into a knights deck.

The unboxing also had other unrevealed cards, but the streamers didn't notice them and didn't showcase them, so we don't have good pictures. The cards will all be revealed tomorrow anyway.

This is the card I need for my "Why don't you just play Feather, no I refuse to play Feather, oh God this monogrrrn deck is turning I to a feather deck Gruul/Season of Growth-Deck".

I was hoping for more of these Adventure cards that target your own creatures.

What does everyone think are the best cards of the set (for whatever format you want)? For standard my pick is Once Upon a Time. There is so much value in that card for a 2 mana instant that can also be a free cast on turn 1. Questing Beast is probably #2, it seems crazy pushed for a 4 drop.

Once Upon A Time is pretty dang good. Will see play in many formats. It's what Simic Flash is going to need after losing check lands and elves.

Questing Beast is nuts but it's on par with Mythic green creatures.

These cards are mostly ones I find interesting. Dunno about power level:

Gilded Goose and green in general are going to be the route for three color decks. I don't think non-green manabases are going to be good enough post rotation. Esper maybe with life and scry lands and long game control.
Hushbringer spells bad times for elementals. Omnath can't even get rid of it

Fae of Wishes is pretty damn versatile.

I really want to play Queen of Ice in limited. That's some tap down value.

I could see Cauldron of Eternity do some really dumb things.

Murderous Rider is pretty much our vraskas replacement.

I think Bonecrusher Giant will be pretty good. Mono red is gonna lose a lot of key cards and while cavicade is cute it's really easily beaten post board. Then again Torbran + Cavicade is scary.

I want knights to be good but with ritual of soot and witches vengeance say goodbye to that. With that said I'm still going to try Orzhov Aristoknights on release. I just love corpse knight too much.

Faeries looks interesting. I'll probably hate playing against more faerie decks than me piloting them.

Oh and Garruk is pretty damn scary. Doesn't look hard to get to his Ult_ especially with the colors he's in and proliferate.

Imagine in christmasland fashion dropping Garruk with an Evolution Sage. Drop a land. Then ultimate for an emblem.

Heck on his own puts two bodies that threaten ultimate when you kill one of them.

I normally don't play Golgari but I think I wanna try with him

Last edited:
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
This is the card I need for my "Why don't you just play Feather, no I refuse to play Feather, oh God this monogrrrn deck is turning I to a feather deck Gruul/Season of Growth-Deck".

I was hoping for more of these Adventure cards that target your own creatures.
Just to confirm for everyone else, yes, Adventure instants and sorceries do work with Feather. Though you have to choose either to exile it with Feather or send it on an adventure; you can't exile it with Feather then decide to cast it from exile that turn.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Murderous Rider is my pick (for black at least), Murder that also hits PWs for only 2 measly health, bolted to a 3 mana 2/3 lifelinker is a nice tool. It's also a Knight so it has a lot of synergy in this set. If it didn't go to the bottom of the library it'd probably be pretty broken.

Last edited:

Koz

Sep 5, 2018
Murderous Rider is my pick (for black at least), Murder that also hits PWs for only 2 measly health, bolted to a 3 mana 2/3 lifelinker is a nice tool. It's also a Knight so it has a lot of synergy in this set. If it didn't go to the bottom of the graveyard it'd probably be pretty broken.
Yep, definitely in my top 5 as well, and wouldn't be surprised if it ends up as the best overall or most played card of the set. We're losing a lot of instant black removal with rotation, and this is the only replacement card that can also hit PWs.

I agree with the graveyard bit too. This would straight up be broken in a reanimator deck with Blood For Bones or something similar.

TAFAE

Aug 27, 2018
Michigan

For me personally, I really want to play Mystic Sanctuary in Modern Taking Turns. (I'm only missing that land and, uh, $500 worth of Jaces and Snapcasters, RIP money). Brazen Borrower is my top pick for "this is a really good Modern card but it's way too expensive."

For Standard, Murderous Rider looks really solid. I think Savvy Hunter is going to be another very solid card that seems like it's been under the radar during previews. Just need to figure out what Food support you put with her. Gilded Goose is obvious, not sure what else makes the cut if you stay in GB. Going to Sultai you get Oko too. Definitely plenty of other good cards too.

Feb 16, 2018

fires of invention seems to be the most busted for standard

witching well + narset + drawn to dreams + temples can find it pretty fast, while also helping out with card advantage after you have it in play

castle vantress & well are decent mana sinks

i'm assuming the blue/red stuff can just go in a control deck. if that's too slow, then fires has other busted applications, but those would be less consistent

maybe there's something like last year's niv-mizzet parun decks. should be way easier to do dumb stuff (eg. play niv, crack well, play a draw-3) when you get a mana tripler

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah I can see the value in casting another Embercleave after blockers have been assigned to maximise damage. It's effectively away to re-equip but at instant speed (albeit possibly expensive depending on how many creatures you're attacking with).

Last edited:

Happy Puppy

Oct 29, 2017
It really is.

I judge cards that I don't think should exist, as printed, by if I hate playing them and against them.

I hate playing baby Teferi. It's stupid and I feel dirty. I also hate playing Nissa (ugh) and Thought Erasure (surveil was a lazy set add on that adds too much for control consistency given) and Legion's End (listing this only because of the ability to snipe cards in hand without replacing them, creating some ridiculous card advantage scenarios against aggro.).

Legion's End should really draw cards if it grabs copies in hand.

Questing Beast is going to be a damn guaranteed card that I feel stupid playing. The 2R Giant with the removal adventure, maybe.

I hate Nissa, such a loaded card. They should remove the vigilance and haste it gives to lands. It would still be good.
Hate losing against aggro on the draw, you convinced me to add more legion's end.

Koz

Sep 5, 2018
Here is my first attempt at brewing a Sultai(ish) Food deck:

Sultai-ish Food - Throne of Eldraine

yQ4DeZg.png

Detailed explanation below in the spoilers, but the basic premise of the deck is to make lots of food and keep pumping out Feasting Troll Kings with spamming Cauldron Familiars as a secondary win condition. Sultai-ish beceause it's really Golgari with a splash of blue. Let me know what you think!

Cauldron Familiar - Small but consistent damage. Combos well with Witch's Oven. Also has synergies with Oko (make it a 3/3), Great Henge, and Trail of Crumbs.
Gilded Goose - Our one mana (and one mana) dork. Makes food and helps mana fix for the little bit of blue we need.
Rotting Regisaur - Early threat, enables Great Henge and also allows us to bin Troll Kings from our hand (and familiars too potentially). Can be "neutralized" with Witch's Oven or Oko if we don't want to discard.
Questing Beast - Mostly for experimentation, just a beast of a card. It also helps us kill PWs and is the only 4 CMC card in the deck.
Yarok - One-of since we're already Sultai and have lots of ETB effects. This could get silly with Cauldron Familiars and a lot of food.
Feasting Troll King - The center of the build. A very strong card that can be played from hand and then re-cast for "free" if it dies. It can be played out of GY consistently if we have enough food production. Enables Great Henge.
Oko - Early pressure and protection. Makes food, nullifies big threats or makes our cats into 3/3s. We will also have plenty of things to swap with for the -5 (food and cats).
Witch's Oven - Makes food. Allows us to make food from creatures that would be dying anyways. Nice combo with the cat and Troll King.
Great Henge - A ton of value if we can get it out. We have 10 cards that can potentially have 7 power so this should hopefully be able to be cast pretty consistently.
Trail of Crumbs - Food for card draw, pretty much an auto-include with how much food we should have.
Assassin's Trophy - The "oh shit I need removal" card and it's the best overall BG removal card.
Once Upon a Time - Crazy good card, especially since we are so creature heavy. It will let us find that creature we want or a blue land if we need to cast Oko or Yarok.
Giant Opportunity - Great card because both making 3 food and spending 2 food for a 7/7 are good results. We should be able to play this any time (hence the 4 of).

For land I have no clue how good the new cards will be, but the green common makes food and should be easy enough to activate. One Castle Locthwain when we are low on cards and need to fill our hand.

The maybes:

Nissa - It feels weird to play a mostly green deck and not have Nissa in it. She's great but she just doesn't synergize with anything. We prob don't need a ton of mana and we don't want to be sacrificing our lands. Still, she may be too good not to have and would prob replace Questing Beast.
Maraleaf Rider - I really like the potential of this guy but have no clue how often his ability will be useful. Will probably experiment with him instead of maybe the cats.
Savvy Hunter - Strong card that gets us food and cards, but I can't find a place to put her. We already have a ton of 3 drops and I'm not sure her food generation will be that consistent. We may want her for early card draw, though.
Cavalier of Thorns - Solid blocker and is our only protection against flyers other than chump blocking with geese. The milling effect is helpful for getting kings in the bin, but couldn't find a place for it.
Foreboding Fruit - Nice cheap card draw with some food potential. I'm not sure how often we would hit 3 black since we are green-focused and it's yet another 3 CMC card.

Weaknesses:

My main concerns are card draw and aggro matchups. My only real card draw is Henge and Trail of Crumbs. Once Upon will get cards I want but not at card advantage. For aggro I may need some board wipes, especially since I can recall Cat and Troll King from the bin. Most likely candidates are Massacre Girl and Ritual of Soot.

Last edited:

keeblerdrow

Dec 17, 2017
My LGS couldn't guarantee the Collector Pack with box purchase. Anyone know of any online sources that can do that?

Barrin

Dec 12, 2017
My LGS couldn't guarantee the Collector Pack with box purchase. Anyone know of any online sources that can do that?

I'm pretty sure the collector packs only come with buying a box if you buy it at an LGS similar to the buy a box promos. I pre-ordered a box at my LGS and they mentioned getting 30 collector packs and twice as many buy a box promos. I'd try another LGS if there are any others in your area.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
For Feasting Troll King I'd go bant vannifar or simic vannifar and neoform and pod your way up. Too bad mirror image will rotate cause that and the Troll king are redonk.

My fun deck first thing I build out of the gates is orzhov aristocrats. Witches Oven and Cauldron Familiar is a sweet little combo and gets gravy with corpse knight or celebrant. Throw in some afterlife and you got a strew.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So if I was aiming to shove 4 x Piper of the Swarm into a mono-black control deck, would it be worth swapping Yarok's Fenlurker for (the otherwise usually worse) Burglar Rat just for the rat synergy? I've been going back and forth on this one for a while now.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
So if I was aiming to shove 4 x Piper of the Swarm into a mono-black control deck, would it be worth swapping Yarok's Fenlurker for (the otherwise usually worse) Burglar Rat just for the rat synergy? I've been going back and forth on this one for a while now.

I'd stick with the fenlurker in a monoblack deck. It's a much better card and the "payoff" you get with the burglar rat is pretty weak.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'd stick with the fenlurker in a monoblack deck. It's a much better card and the "payoff" you get with the burglar rat is pretty weak.

Yeah, you're probably right. Burglar Rat only really pays off when I've got 2 other rats on the field (and I could just use that same 2 mana for Piper to make another rat anyway) but Fenlurker can at least buff itself up against an empty field or for better mid-late game blocking.

I'll save my rat tribal-ish deck dreams for another time.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, you're probably right. Burglar Rat only really pays off when I've got 2 other rats on the field (and I could just use that same 2 mana for Piper to make another rat anyway) but Fenlurker can at least buff itself up against an empty field or for better mid-late game blocking.

I'll save my rat tribal-ish deck dreams for another time.

Also could have fun with him and rat colony in historic. Then again with three rat colonies you're probably winning sooner than getting the Piper to do his thing.

Could always go modern ;)

One of my favorite decks was that crystal rod deck that used ninjas and rats and bounce and you ended up soft locking them with chittering rats and aether vial.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I wonder if Mausoleum Secrets is a good way to reliably return Murderous Rider from the bottom of the library to your hand. It'd require at least 3 creatures in the bin but there's plenty of self-mill available. The shuffle effect could also help other Murderous Riders lurking near the bottom.

Last edited:

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
What are the odds that they're bullshitting ?
Eh, I'd say slim, I've shopped at the same store nearly every week for a year and am considered a loyal customer, they've given me discounts out of the blue before, etc. Plus I'm probably going to be one of the first in the door on pre-release day to pick up my boxes in the morning when they open, so I'd really be surpised if they told me "sorry we're out!".

Status
Not open for further replies.