• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Garruk isn't that much worse than big Elspeth.

I think what gives some potential is that he has considerable synergy with every other Golgari Planeswalker. Vivien forces people to answer the tokens before they get too big to handle, Vraska can eat his tokens for her +1 and pump him up, and Lilianna can clear the field before you summon them to swing and benefit you more every time they die.

I'm brewing some Golgari Superfriends with some real potential I think.

TAFAE

Aug 27, 2018
Michigan
Alright y'all, tell me how bad my Kefnet deck is: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2297262#arena

I backed down on Unmoored Egos but there are still 2x, along with Kefnets and Mystic Sanctuary so that I can get rid of whatever wincons I need to. I feel like I'm maybe a little heavy on cards to deal with small things and not heavy enough on ones that deal with big things, but I'm not sure what I would put in.

Limited Set Review: Red
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Loooooool I bought a foil The Grand Calcutron a few weeks back to make a stupid EDH deck but I didn't realize it wasn't a creature. Holy shit this is awesome.
You could always use it as a Commander, per rulings, but it wasn't in the card text until now.

Red commons don't look great aside from removal, but it has great individual cards.

And yeah, LSV isn't finishing before I go to Prerelease later today.

Nov 2, 2017
Holy crap is the sealed bomb dependent. My pools so far in Arena have had no bombs and limited as heeeell removal and I just got run over by these massive ultra creatures that are just unbeatable. The blue/black serpent that can make itself unblockable is almost immediate game over if you don't have removal.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
Some thoughts from playing on mtga last night: Monoblack is very strong. It can grind out and outvalue wins like crazy.

Basically its spell lite mostly value creatures with Cavalier of night and Lilliana. Rest of the creatures Ayara, Cauldron Familiar, Midnight Reaper, Murderous Rider and, Piper of the Swarm and Priest of the Forgotten Gods. Only two other spells: 2 copies of Witch's oven and 1 copy of Dreadhorde Invasion.

Ayara and Priest and Reaper are your draw engine and Lilli is well.. Lilli.

So I can tell you are scratching your heads on some of these cards:

Cauldron familiar (wtf): Why not something like Knight of the Ebon Hand or heck even sanitarium skeleton? Knight is awesome. Don't get me wrong. Problem is deck wants to be ahead on the board with bodies to die or get ETB effects. 3 Mana to pump the knight isn't efficient enough.

The combo between the familiar and oven is cute but it really did things that the knight wouldn't have been able to do. Putting a creature into play at the end of the ops turn is strong. The life ticking adds up and combined with Reaper draws into other cards. Knight is just a Mana sink. Skeleton guarantees a new drop but the Mana cost is way high.

Speaking of mana sinks why do you have Piper then? Originally I had yarok's familiar as it's a decent 2 drop that can have a meaningful effect especially if ressurected by a dead Cavalier later on. Simple: Monored. The current Monored at least on mtga is a never ending stream of dinky cavalcade decks. You drop the Piper on turn 2 and they're stuck cause they can't shock it out without being two for onend. If you don't have a meaningful turn 4 you can pop out a rat and a two drop. They serve as good fodder for priest too.

Why one Dreadhorde Invasion? DH is a gimmie and you are better off using it as a sac token to draw with Ayara or for Cavalier. Multiple invasions only make the army bigger.

Keep in mind every creature besides Cavalier itslef is 3 cmc or less. Keep that train going.

Priest will potentially let you drop Lili turn 4 which can be devastating.

The key is every creature except perhaps priest pulls double duty for some function. Murderous Rider is the most obvious of course but really you'll be out drawing your opponent will overwhelm their strategy.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wildborn Preserver is hilarious

F4Do0w.jpg

Feb 16, 2018
haven't played yet, but seems like tamiyo could counter that stax enchantment in some amusing ways

edit; i don't know how the rules for this work

Last edited:

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Some thoughts from playing on mtga last night: Monoblack is very strong. It can grind out and outvalue wins like crazy.
Agreed, though my list is a bit different than yours:

//Creatures (25):
4 Orzhov Enforcer
2 Priest of Forgotten Gods
3 Dreadmalkin
3 Dread Presence
2 Syr Konrad, the Grim
3 Ayara, First of Locthwain
4 Cauldron Familiar
4 Murderous Rider // Swift End

//Non-creature Spells (12):
2 Witch's Oven
3 Epic Downfall
4 Foreboding Fruit
3 Forever Young

//Lands (23):
20 Swamp
3 Castle Locthwain

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
Stax has put me off standard, don't want to play if it stays good. It and Oko are both way more miserable to play against than Teferi ever was.

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN
Went 1-2 at my first, had to drop the last match to hit my second. Clackbridge Troll and that Raven enchantment are IN-SANE together in sealed. The 2 CMC Gargoyle is no slouch either.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've created a monster. This dude's proliferate deck was smashing me for 15 a turn and he still couldn't break through the wall until I got the stuff I needed.

MYj4yJ.jpg

Cat Bakery deck is the best.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
For this Prerelease, I went to a new store. As such, it didn't have many Prerelease Packs and only had two eight-person pods (16 people total), but many of those players were new.

Things I noticed from the new players were:
* Confusion about whether you had to pay Food's sacrifice cost right away (as in, "Create a food token" means you have to pay (2) to gain 3 life right away). (one person)
* Thinking you gained 3 life if you sacrificed Food in any way. (one person)
* Thinking Gingerbread Cabin and the like needed you to pay GGG to enter untapped. (one person)
* They really liked the alternate art. (multiple people)
* They found Fervent Champion being the World Champion really cool, and were excited about maybe being World Champion (semi joking). (multiple people)

Anyway, I pulled a pretty jank pool with very little in each color. At first, I felt I had to force three colors to get anywhere, white-blue-green, which resulted in a pretty bad first match. However, I realized my pool wasn't quite that jank, and that I could actually use all the colorless artifact creatures I got. I dropped to green-white. In particular, I found that Lochthwain Gargoyle (x3) + Wildborn Preserver is pretty good. Also, Golden Egg + Shepherd of the Flock... well, I'm not sure that actually was that good, but it was neat to do.

I got some good red and black cards, but not enough to support a two-color deck with the lack of cards in each other color, even if hey had more than red and black.

I went 2-1.

Nov 2, 2017
My pool was absolutely trash terrible. My promo was the worst. Out of the 50 people doing prerelease, 8 people had promo Oko's and one person pulled a full art foil Oko which was fucking insane. It was an Oko party. I did not get an Oko. Tell you what feels bad, 2 of the rare lands in my pool and 1 of the one drop goose card in green, while having almost no playable green.

My friend, who I was paired with in round 3, proceeded to smash my face into the ground with board wipe giant to wipe the board. Then casting board wipe giant. Then equipping him with Embercleave as a combat trick. I could not deal with that in my pool of zero unconditional removal.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Took Golos field straight to mythic with a 20-4 record, starting plat 2 but I was fortunate to mostly run into Ramp strategies and dodging Esper Doom for all but 2 games (1-1). Though I think I've shored up that MU to some degree with a Tamiyo + Negates + Ego + Veil SB plan
317812ead38655c9a1660c4911a38bb8.jpg

f4d86af2b9dd3e026061b3176a09aa96.png

Last edited:

Happy Puppy

Oct 29, 2017
I wish I could trade my pack openings with someone else. I got like 2-3x every good red rare but I don't play red.
Ugh same as I. I find red the most boring color, and got dwarves and red spells QQ.

Didn't understand the picture, then it clicked while creating a mono black deck. Then went Orzhov with Corpse Knight and Celebrant. Fun times. That dam kittie is becoming a favorite of mine.

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN
Went 2-1 on my second event last night. Was close to going 3-0 but one match of the third round I kept a one land mulligan and proceeded to not draw another land for the rest of the game. Had a nice Mardu knights pool with the theft Dragon as my bomb.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Buttzerker is playing Bo1 so they'd have wish for those with the Faerie

More importantly they are just a turn 1 drop to waste peoples time while I get my real deck up and running. The real wincons of my deck are golgari superftiends and a ramping Preserver. The cat bakery loop is great for Golgari because every time I loop it, it triggers Wildborn Preserver for free.

I'm not relying on the cat loop. It's just a great distraction.

That said the deck is wildly inconsistent so I'm still refining it, but the cat loop does its job. Mostly figuring out how to balance removal/planeswalkers

Last edited:

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Cat bakery, not Aristocats?

Had a fun prerelease last night with an Oko, wildborn preserver, and a cloaked giant just for good measure. Oko is obviously busted for limited, but yeah the fox is just crazy good. Sure there are turns where you can put five counters on em before swinging in, but just growing 1 a turn snowballs fast. Only lost in the last round to a dude that had nothing but answers and a rankle/other strong fliers.

bunbun777

Oct 29, 2017
Nw
Oh my figured I'd try out this esper stax deck, first ranked opponent is the same deck. Gets lucky and really knocks me over the first match, but I noticed he had ate up a lot of time. 2nd match I pulled ahead early and won: I've got apx 15 minutes left, opponent has about 8. And since the third match was the most even I just had to play careful and wait it out.
First opponent to ever time out on me, feels very dirty and the matches were slow. Guess he was learning the deck as well.

Koz

Sep 5, 2018
After a couple of days playing my Sultai food deck, this is what it looks like now:

dmsMMWhl.png

The bottom of the curve is playing well. T1 goose leads into either Oko or Regisaur. The cat/oven combo is great for stalling out and getting a little bit of life. I upped the Ovens to 4 because it's the best form of food generation I've found. Giant Opportunities are out, they're too slow. Wicked Wolf is insanely efficient with food and is better than Questing Beast in this deck, so I swapped those. I put in the Murderous Riders because duh. Trail of Crumbs has been performing very well and I kind of want to put in a third.

Ignore the land selection, it's all over the place and I'm still experimenting with it. Not really digging the Gingerbread Cabins with the amount of non-Forests I run.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cat bakery, not Aristocats?

Had a fun prerelease last night with an Oko, wildborn preserver, and a cloaked giant just for good measure. Oko is obviously busted for limited, but yeah the fox is just crazy good. Sure there are turns where you can put five counters on em before swinging in, but just growing 1 a turn snowballs fast. Only lost in the last round to a dude that had nothing but answers and a rankle/other strong fliers.

Seems silly to call it aristocats when I don't run any aristocrats. :P

My only creatures are Cauldron Familiar, Wildborn Preserver, Questing Beast, Gilded Goose, and Incubation Druid.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Some of you may remember my deck: The Pile

This is its new Standard sequel: The Pile - Eldraine
//Creatures (29):
2 Midnight Reaper
2 Izoni, Thousand-Eyed
2 Biogenic Ooze
3 Ferocious Pup
4 Nightpack Ambusher
3 Woodland Champion
4 Gilded Goose
3 Savvy Hunter
4 Cauldron Familiar
2 Clackbridge Troll

//Planeswalkers (2):
2 Liliana, Dreadhorde General

//Non-creature Spells (7):
2 Kaya's Wrath
3 Moldervine Reclamation
2 The Cauldron of Eternity

//Lands (24):
7 Swamp
7 Forest
4 Overgrown Tomb
2 Temple Garden
2 Godless Shrine
2 Plains
Man do I wish Reliquary Tower was still in standard.

keeblerdrow

Dec 17, 2017
Got my collector booster with my pre-ordered box. My guaranteed mythic in the pack? PLANESWALKER DECK OKO. How are those even showing up in premium product?

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my figured I'd try out this esper stax deck, first ranked opponent is the same deck. Gets lucky and really knocks me over the first match, but I noticed he had ate up a lot of time. 2nd match I pulled ahead early and won: I've got apx 15 minutes left, opponent has about 8. And since the third match was the most even I just had to play careful and wait it out.
First opponent to ever time out on me, feels very dirty and the matches were slow. Guess he was learning the deck as well.
The mirror must be miserable to play. Might need wish targets to gain the upper hand.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright sell me on Ferocious Pup. What's the point? Even with Nightpack and Tolsimir it seems bad.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The worst part about UG Flash is the deck has outsized popularity v. its power level because of the subset of Magic players who find countering all spells to be a sign of higher intellect playing the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.