• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to The Adder's Wonderful World of Wolves
unknown.png
Conveniently located across the street from Rhokshida's Fairy Emporium.

TAFAE

Aug 27, 2018
Michigan
These boardstates, smdh. What ever happened to winning on turn 5 or 6? (That looks like good fun though, congrats.)

In other news, this RG Adventure Phoenix deck may be what I need to fill the Faithless Looting shaped hole in my heart: https://www.channelfireball.com/art...-with-arclight-phoenix-on-turn-1-in-standard/ If only it were a bit more competitive compared to all of the turbo over the top strategies that seem to be what's working in Standard.

If only I had $1500 laying around, I could go ahead and play Legacy Jund Phoenix where the ceiling is three (3!) Arclight Phoenixes attacking on turn 1, just as Richard Garfield intended.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I think Bake into a Pie is cursed. Have two in my deck. Played 7 games, seen 0. Last draft I went 0-2 with 3 copies.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
These boardstates, smdh. What ever happened to winning on turn 5 or 6? (That looks like good fun though, congrats.)

In other news, this RG Adventure Phoenix deck may be what I need to fill the Faithless Looting shaped hole in my heart: https://www.channelfireball.com/art...-with-arclight-phoenix-on-turn-1-in-standard/ If only it were a bit more competitive compared to all of the turbo over the top strategies that seem to be what's working in Standard.

If only I had $1500 laying around, I could go ahead and play Legacy Jund Phoenix where the ceiling is three (3!) Arclight Phoenixes attacking on turn 1, just as Richard Garfield intended.
Legacy is a one time $1500 investment then you can play that deck forever. Trying to keep up with Standard is a bigger money sink imo.

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN

MtG, top 10 microgame just behind Love Letter

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
just 1500?
what a bargain
Up front or all at once? Yeah that's a lot. But total what the average standard player spends in post rotation throwaway stuff in a year, then compare that to slowly buying the cards bit by bit over time for deck that you can play for a long, long time.

Ars Arcanum

alt account
Banned
Feb 3, 2019
Didn't pull much from a booster box this time around so to compensate I said fuck it and bought me an ayula bear tribal - commander this weekend should be interesting. My bears are HUNGRY

TAFAE

Aug 27, 2018
Michigan
Legacy is a one time $1500 investment then you can play that deck forever. Trying to keep up with Standard is a bigger money sink imo.

I totally agree. I have no interest in having a paper Standard deck when I can have every Standard deck for a year on Arena for the same price as Esper for a season or two. I'm learning MTGO too, I want to use a rental program to try out Modern and Legacy decks without needing to outright buy them. Jund Phoenix looks really cool, but if I don't like it I'd basically have to choose between switching to Reanimator (I would have the Badlands and the Bayou, the only extremely expensive cards), or having to sell off the cards. I am lucky enough to live somewhere with two stores that run weekly Legacy nights, so I would definitely get to use the cards if I did take the plunge.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People are starting to figure out my oven bullshit lol. Getting it targeted by Oko and such. Still useful and cheap enough to keep in the deck but using it more as an early drop while bulking up my other cards.

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
Im probably going to buy a sealed booster box today.

Anything I should look out for? Are they still giving out the collectors booster for buying a sealed box?

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
if i ever have friends who dont let me play twilight sparkle or nightmare moon as my commander then i will subsequently not have friends

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
New MLP promo set incoming!

How is Rarity completely nonblack? Preposterous.
Looking at color alignment in a vacuum, making Rarity white-blue makes sense. In a full set of pony cards, they would probably add black so the Mane Six aren't all white aligned, yeah. Similarly, I'd make Twilight Jeskai (white-blue-red).

The cards in question

medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg
medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg

Really neat designs, and I love the art, especially Twilight. Even outside of the MLP context, the legendary crowns are really nice looking.

Rarity caring about rarity is great.
Even as a silver-bordered card with an ability you currently can't actually use, I'd prefer if Twilight only had you and your friends win the game.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, all of the main characters are at least partly white, but Rarity in tends to struggle with being overly ambitious and fixated on status and beauty, which are definitely black vices. I'd personally put her down as WB but could see Esper.

(I've seen like two episodes.)

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
Im probably going to buy a sealed booster box today.

Anything I should look out for? Are they still giving out the collectors booster for buying a sealed box?

I believe the official release is tomorrow? (They were sold on prerelease weekend, but should not have been available after that.) You may want to call the store and ask if they still have the collector's boosters and if so, if you can put a hold on your box so you can secure one of the packs. At my store all the collector's boosters were gone after the prerelease, though.

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
I believe the official release is tomorrow? (They were sold on prerelease weekend, but should not have been available after that.) You may want to call the store and ask if they still have the collector's boosters and if so, if you can put a hold on your box so you can secure one of the packs. At my store all the collector's boosters were gone after the prerelease, though.

Ooh its tomorrow, huh? Ill have to call my shop and find out

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at color alignment in a vacuum, making Rarity white-blue makes sense. In a full set of pony cards, they would probably add black so the Mane Six aren't all white aligned, yeah. Similarly, I'd make Twilight Jeskai (white-blue-red).

The cards in question

medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg
medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg

Really neat designs, and I love the art, especially Twilight. Even outside of the MLP context, the legendary crowns are really nice looking.

Rarity caring about rarity is great.
Even as a silver-bordered card with an ability you currently can't actually use, I'd prefer if Twilight only had you and your friends win the game.
I love this idea and wish the art for normal Magic was anywhere near this good :o

Oct 25, 2017
A silver-bordered card where every player wins is a great idea. Too bad there isn't a card for the remaining four, so you can never accomplish that goal even in silver-bordered commander.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
These are all actually pretty solid silver bordered commanders. Even Twilight Sparkle provides a tribal commander for all equines for the people who were asking for that.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

The one thing almost everyone praised in Throne so far is the art and you'd rather cards look like this?

I think the art of Throne is normal for Magic, which to me means almost awful across the board with a few exceptions. But in the interest of fairness, I will list every piece of art in the entire set that I like!

en_NcmVDnz8V9.png
en_l1OpY0rNkO.png
en_LVDgHwGpOT.png
en_fBVhl5KXOh.png
en_JgeFkV4VIf.png
en_JGVzZcW84Q.png

The rest? Ranges from okay to horrible imo, which is pretty par for the course for the game. I'd really love a dramatic artstyle shift for the entire game, because I sincerely think Magic has the worst artstyle of any card game I've ever played.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Let's not pretend wotc doesn't do boob armor. Chandra and Elspeth can't escape that no matter the artist. For chandra in particular I think it's mandated in the the character guide book or whatever it's called

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's not like Magic doesn't have cards that deviate from the default realistic style of recent years. People praise Seb McKinnons's more distinctive style to the high heavens (whether or not they overdo it is another matter), and the alt-adventure arts were similarly well received. I got the alt-Embereth Shieldbreaker at prerelease and everyone who saw it thought it looked great.

showcase-99707-medium.jpg

But not all cards work with this style, and they lose their novelty if they become the default rather than the exception. People like consistency for the most part but the few that deviate are the main subjects for praise.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I stopped playing MTG like 8 years ago but recently started again after joining an IRL DnD group. I'm looking to purchase a couple bundles/fatpacks at the local gameshop this month. Doing that as opposed to buying individual cards and decks because I don't have many cards. Are there any specific recent sets with crazy-ass cards I should single out? Or is any set good to buy a bundle of?

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I stopped playing MTG like 8 years ago but recently started again after joining an IRL DnD group. I'm looking to purchase a couple bundles/fatpacks at the local gameshop this month. Doing that as opposed to buying individual cards and decks because I don't have many cards. Are there any specific recent sets with crazy-ass cards I should single out? Or is any set good to buy a bundle of?
Throne of Eldraine seems to be pretty good for value right now. That's the newest set.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
WAR of the spark has a lot of good cards that see play in multiple formats and a guaranteed planeswalker in every pack. For building a casual collection, it's probably the best standard set to open overall.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
It's not like Magic doesn't have cards that deviate from the default realistic style of recent years. People praise Seb McKinnons's more distinctive style to the high heavens (whether or not they overdo it is another matter), and the alt-adventure arts were similarly well received. I got the alt-Embereth Shieldbreaker at prerelease and everyone who saw it thought it looked great.

But not all cards work with this style, and they lose their novelty if they become the default rather than the exception. People like consistency for the most part but the few that deviate are the main subjects for praise.
I love all of the alt art in this set tbh

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The thing I like about the MLP cards is the frame treatments they do for each character. It's not just the stock legendary frames and colors, they actually added a bit more color and added some frame treatments

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I've been out of the Magic game for a couple years but I just heard this new set has a lot of King Arthur flavor. They got me.

Guess I'll comb the set for all the Arthurian stuff.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017

Yeah, I got a foil alt-art Shieldbreaker and a promo Embercleave, and everyone seemed way more keen on the Shieldbreaker. (That may have something to do with Embercleave generally being a "Surprise! You lost the game!" card in Limited, though.)

Status
Not open for further replies.