• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
As a new player, I was having a lot of fun starting out playing standard matches at first. However, in my last 3 matches that I was about to win, a notification comes up saying that a network connection problem happened and then my win is overturned to a draw.

That. Is. Fucking. Ridiculous!

I'm not planning on spending real money on this so wins seem to be my only way of getting income (gold). Opponents denying the rightful outcome by rage quitting is probably the lowest of the low shit I've ever seen in a game like this. Tell me that there is a fix planned lol

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
As a new player, I was having a lot of fun starting out playing standard matches at first. However, in my last 3 matches that I was about to win, a notification comes up saying that a network connection problem happened and then my win is overturned to a draw.

That. Is. Fucking. Ridiculous!

I'm not planning on spending real money on this so wins seem to be my only way of getting income (gold). Opponents denying the rightful outcome by rage quitting is probably the lowest of the low shit I've ever seen in a game like this. Tell me that there is a fix planned lol
They aren't rage quitting, the net code is probably just shit.

You can build a lot of non-blue Legacy decks for around $1000.
Burn and...?

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trail of Crumbs is amazing and let me even grind down an Orzhov Priest deck who got their engine running before me

WXnaxM.jpg

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I mean...have you looked at prices recently?
I have. Some decks like Goblins only play a few duals. Most play zero. Hell, with decks like U/R Delver, you can probably get away with Steam Vents. It's usually the City of Traitors that's prohibitive. Wasteland and Rishadan Port aren't in too bad of a spot right now.

Goblins, Humans, Slivers, Death & Taxes, Dredge, Belcher, High Tide, Enchantress, Pox (without Chains/Void), Mono Red Storm.

For $1500 you can build Merfolk, Maverick (without the one Cradle), Punishing Zoo, Eldrazi Aggro, Reanimator, Buried Phoenix, Painter, Mono Red Sneak.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I have. Some decks like Goblins only play a few duals. Most play zero. Hell, with decks like U/R Delver, you can probably get away with Steam Vents. It's usually the City of Traitors that's prohibitive. Wasteland and Rishadan Port aren't in too bad of a spot right now.

Goblins, Humans, Slivers, Death & Taxes, Dredge, Belcher, High Tide, Enchantress, Pox (without Chains/Void), Mono Red Storm.

For $1500 you can build Merfolk, Maverick (without the one Cradle), Punishing Zoo, Eldrazi Aggro, Reanimator, Buried Phoenix, Painter, Mono Red Sneak.
What does Legacy Death's Shadow cost?

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
What does Legacy Death's Shadow cost?
$2,000-2,500 because it plays a combination of Watery Graves and Underground Seas depending on the situation and whether you want to play a third colour or not.

You can probably get by with just one Underground Sea though.

Also Force of Wills aren't cheap despite the reprint.

Last edited:

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
American prices are very inflated though. I'm sure you can get it much cheaper through European channels.

TAFAE

Aug 27, 2018
Michigan
Legacy Burn is a fun one, it's actually cheaper than Modern Burn in most cases. It's a shame it's poorly positioned, but it's not usually what people are looking for in a Legacy game anyway.

Firemind Are there any good places to get Legacy cards (duals) from Europe as an American?

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't know since I'm hesitant to buy in demand eternal staples online because of counterfeits.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

Mainly stuff we knew before.
* With Happily Ever After, "each player draws a card" was testing out new space for white.
* Adventure creatures were originally all vanilla, since they assumed the adventure part would add a lot of complexity. That lowered the on-board complexity too much, though.
* Charming Prince was changed to make it different from Knight of Autumn. It was also an option for the World Champion card.
* In the comments for All That Glitters, they misquote "All Star".
* With Fae of Wishes, it looks like they're moving toward wish effects only taking cards from exile if it's tied to Karn.
* With Brazen Borrower, they didn't like the gameplay of having a flash creature on an adventure, since that discouraged attacking. Thus, it gained "can block only creatures with flying".
* While faeries aren't a tribe here, they wanted cards reminiscent of the Lorwyn tribe. Hence the counter adventures.
* Rankle was originally a "choose one" effect, but it was too weak, so it gained "choose any number".

Going to move this thread to Hangouts later today.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what they'll do with the feedback that white got the shaft regarding the legendary cycles. White is already the worst colour in EDH and then they print three garbage cards (The Circle of Loyalty, Linden and Syr Alin). They're not even that great in limited.

Compare Circle of Loyalty to the Great Henge. I drafted Henge today and it's absolutely disgusting. My opponent drew ten cards with Return of the Wildspeaker and still lost eventually. I could chain creature after creature and after a while I drew two cards with Innkeeper. All the while growing them. The two life gain every turn also adds up over time and makes it difficult to race. It combos nicely with Deathless Knight too. A recurrable haste 5/3 is nothing to scoff at.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
Hope Folio of Fancies explodes in popularity so the foil extended art I pulled out of the single collector booster I'm going to buy ends up being worth something.

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN
So, regarding fetch lands.

OG design fetches, Prismatic Vista, Fabled Passage = either fetches duals or any basic enters untapped = rare
Slow fetches = fetches duals but enters tapped = uncommon
Evolving Wilds, Terramorphic Expanse = Fetches any basic, land enters tapped = Common

Why can't there be a cycle of uncommons that say " tap, sac: get a basic X or a basic Y and put it into play"? You get it untapped but you can only get one basic of two possible types. It would be playable in Modern, be awesome for Commander and have a decent supply/not be a nightmare to reprint because of the rarity.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

OG design fetches, Prismatic Vista, Fabled Passage = either fetches duals or any basic enters untapped = rare
Evolving Wilds, Terramorphic Expanse = Fetches any basic, land enters tapped = Common

Why can't there be a cycle of uncommons that say " tap, sac: get a basic X or a basic Y and put it into play"? You get it untapped but you can only get one basic of two possible types. It would be playable in Modern, be awesome for Commander and have a decent supply/not be a nightmare to reprint because of the rarity.
Good lands sell packs

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
And...?

People open War hoping to get a Narset, right? Coffers was uncommon. Dryad Arbor was uncommon. Tolaria West was uncommon.

Plus it frees up 5-10 rare spots for cool distinct cards instead of trying to grift on vegetable cards.
I understand your reasoning and even agree.

I'm just stating their logic.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
WotC doesn't want a full cycle of good lands that fetch in Standard anymore. They want to avoid too much shuffling. Lands that fetch for basics of their color untapped at no cost would be important dual lands in Standard. And yeah, they want people to pay for untapped duels so even if they were printed in Standard they'd stick them at rare.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1-9 today on ladder. I should've just grinded in September instead of bowing out because the format sucked. Now I'm in the Gold swamp 😩

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York

They generally try to avoid making lands that are strictly better than basics. The exceptions tend to be legendary to make running too many have a downside.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Well, after drafting the set extensively over the past week, I've come to the conclusion that B/R and W/B are undraftable. You might say the same about U/R but at least it has cards to build around (Ironcrag Pyromancer, Mad Ratter, Improbable Alliance). Knights are just a bad theme in this set. The only saving grace of W/R is that they're the fastest colours with lots of options to swing combat your way. Black isn't fast at all which pairs up clumsily with white or red. I'd even rank mono green, mono blue and mono red above B/R and W/B. Mono white isn't really a thing I've seen and black has too much competition to go mono.

At the end of the day (or week rather), I'd rank Throne of Eldraine a tad lower than Dominaria, though Dominaria had its own issues. W/B and B/R were also awful draft archetypes funnily enough.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I just went 5-1 on Arena with a Wb deck. It wasn't a knight deck, just solid playables in those colors. I don't think WB or BR are too bad, but the Sultai colors, overall, do seem be where you want to be. BG especially seems strong.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
timed out for the first time in arena, there go 50 minutes of my life. If this is what standard is going to be I'm jumping on the hard aggro train. At least a loss only takes 10 minutes total then.

We've gotten to the point where Golos decks tech for the mirror in putting fae of wishes in the maindeck and a jace in the SB and just deck yourself with krasis and golos. This standard format is stupid and I want out of it.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
timed out for the first time in arena, there go 50 minutes of my life. If this is what standard is going to be I'm jumping on the hard aggro train. At least a loss only takes 10 minutes total then.

We've gotten to the point where Golos decks tech for the mirror in putting fae of wishes in the maindeck and a jace in the SB and just deck yourself with krasis and golos. This standard format is stupid and I want out of it.
I hated the post-Kethis standard, in part because I disliked the Kethis deck. I actually like the Field decks but this is a terrible format. I've been winning or losing mirrors based on how many Agents are drawn or the cleverness of my mirror-breaking SB toolbox v. their toolbox.

And like you noted, the matches take forever.

Brolos Field is ubiquitous and its awful.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I swapped out Assassin's Trophy for Legion's End in my Golgari Wolf Bakery deck because I was having more trouble getting buried in tokens than with individual cards. Plus with all the ramping in this meta I do not feel good giving people lands.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
true but no one deserves for the best deck by a wide margin to result in this, it's bant company mirrors all over again. Gonna be fun with untimed rounds

Hah fair enough. Golos is irritating to play against though I thankfully run enough token sweeps and questing beasts to not struggle too hard with it. Powerful deck though for sure, especially with how it counters midrange.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
This is how you do Boros with just commons:

modo111t9jzt.png

t2 Flutterfox
t3 Crystal Slipper equip
t4 Flutterfox equip
t5 attack
t6 Flutterfox equip

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trail of crumbs is the most underrated card in the set.

If7i05.jpg

Its finally helping me escape the Gold Swamp. My friend is in diamond atm and his matches are a joke compared to mine. Such odd leagues.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Tuned up my Affinity deck

//Creatures (18):
4 Steel Overseer
4 Gilded Goose
2 Crashing Drawbridge
4 Gingerbrute
4 Stonecoil Serpent

//Planeswalkers (10):
3 Karn, the Great Creator
3 Tezzeret, Master of the Bridge
4 Oko, Thief of Crowns

//Non-creature Spells (8):
4 Opt
4 Growth Spiral

//Lands (24):
2 Overgrown Tomb
2 Watery Grave
4 Breeding Pool
4 Interplanar Beacon
7 Forest
5 Island

//Sideboard (0):
4 Meteor Golem
3 Chromatic Lantern
2 God-Pharaoh's Statue
3 Golos, Tireless Pilgrim
3 Sorcerous Spyglass

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GIXjqO.jpg

This took FORTY. ONE. TURNS.

Wore down this DanceManse/Doom Foretold deck with my cat bullshit. Took a LOT of careful sacrifices of bigger creatures with the oven to make spare food, but it worked and once I had Crumbs out, it started turning against him. Dude resurrected all 3 of his Doom Foretolds three times with Dance. It was a LONG game.

Got me up to 4 wins so far in the event though.

Nov 2, 2017
Well this is some bullshit

I played the same deck I went 11-1 with in the first practice event. I went 0-2 this time because apparently nothing but land draws until I lose is acceptable followed by land draws? Land draws? Fuck you, you mull to 5 and get only the 2 lands in your opening hand for the rest of the game. Super fun. The best part of Magic. Especially when it comes to events you get one shot at.

Then I immediately ran into someone who spammed Good Game the entire game. Turned off emotes forever after that. What a piece of shit.

The two decks I've been working on feel like shit right now, going on massive, massive losing streaks. So, I don't know what to do. It seems like without spending a ton of money, all I'm doing for the next three months is doing quick dailies. No point in anything else.

Back to the paper casual Commander mines for me. Playing Arena is either completely unrewarding or too fucking expensive.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Back to the paper casual Commander mines for me. Playing Arena is either completely unrewarding or too fucking expensive.
I'm not too upset about how I finished, I'm mad that 3 of my 4 rare ICRs are cards I already have a full set of and the 4th is god damn Happily Ever After.

As for your bad luck? Yeah, sucks like hell when that happens, it's why I ran the deck I did. It is, in fact, why I built the deck the way it is, having only 5 cards total that cost over 3 mana and having an insane level of card draw. I can understand not feeling like continuing after that shit happens, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.