• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't put money in MTGO for years. Cube season keeps being generous to me.

I really have to quit doing Eldraine draft league tho. It's a money vacuum unless you open Oko or consistently 3-0. EV is horrendous.

I feel like leagues are more competitive now too. Maybe the more casual players have migrated to Arena.

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
Bant Golos or Jeskai Fires with Fae of Wishes

I definitely second the latter recommendation. Threw together Fae of Wishes Jeskai Fires for the event and it was a blast. Went 8-2 despite it being the first time I ever played the deck. There's a lot of play to it but unlike a lot of the other interesting decks in the format the matches don't take long.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Any recommendations for the event? I haven't had time to play much but I've got a ton of wildcards so I can make whatever.
unknown.png
Here's my deck. Beats Golos and Cavalcade in Bo1 without issue as long as you don't get mana flooded.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
I've never played Magic before in my life and I know nothing about it. But this knockoff Captain Marvel I saw looks neat and now I want to try.

I did use to play Yu-Gi-Oh when it first started but stopped before tunners/XYZ or any of the other stupid new mechanics were introduced. To those who have played both, are there any similarities? What do I buy if I want to be able to dip my toe in with someone else?

Core Set 2020 Planeswalker Deck - Chandra - This one seems like it has the neat cover person I wanted, but is this same deck bundled with the two pack below?​
Spellslinger Starter Kit Core Set 2020 - I guess if 20 sided dice are needed I should probably get this since I don't have any of those lying around, plus it will let me mess around with someone else.​
Core Set 2020 Deck Builder's Toolkit - Is this also helpful/needed?​

Real talk, I could probably do a bit more homework and figure it out but I kinda just want to order something and have it arrive tomorrow and figure it out from there. If there is something else that is better recommended for newcomers, I'm all ears.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Core Set 2020 Planeswalker Deck - Chandra - This one seems like it has the neat cover person I wanted, but is this same deck bundled with the two pack below?
This is a different deck than what's included in the below.

Planeswalker Decks are targeted toward beginners, so it would be a fine choice.

Spellslinger Starter Kit Core Set 2020 - I guess if 20 sided dice are needed I should probably get this since I don't have any of those lying around, plus it will let me mess around with someone else.
These decks are intended for players that need to be walked through a game. If you have someone else to play with, and you're both beginners, then this could be fine to buy, but it's primarily for teaching.

You don't need it, but it gets you a big starting collection of cards.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, got knocked out at 4-2 by a Field of the Dead deck when I got mana-locked, but got a Stonecoil Serpent at least.

L3esQ7.jpg

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
This type of big prize event is pretty rare. I'm trying to remember the last similar event but my memory is hazy. I believe was a buy-in with gold with huge payout of packs at the end... maybe sometime prior to the launch of M20? Don't expect them to show up often, and don't worry about your results, it's more of a test of luck than skill.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the Field of the Dead decks are just cancer right now. I've been fooling around with various decks on Arena- various flavors of Jeskai fires, the Food deck, Stax- and they just all have putrid matchups against Field of the Dead because your only real weapon out of the Sideboard is Ashiok, who's expensive and can be easily answered by a single token. This format desperatly needs a Tectonic Edge, or a banning

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
No changes and they're right to make none. Standard is too new and needs a little time to see if it can be sorted. Everything else seems healthy.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With a perfect draw I can beat a field of the dead deck pretty easily because I'm running legion's end, questing beast, great henge, and a lot of removal.

But it requires absolutely perfect draws for me against them able to basically tutor literally everything they need out of their deck at will. It's not a favorable matchup.

The primary problem as someone pointed out is that every other deck at some point once to stop drawing lands because they need to keep their momentum going. Field decks never have dead draws like that.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I wish they'd experiment with solutions for times like this. Why not insert a card into a format instead of banning them? Like if they made Field of Ruin an emergency standard playable card what's the worst that could happen, especially since it was just in the previous Standard? Just print a few thousand as event entry rewards and ship them to stores to get them into circulation to keep the price down. I'm sure this is a crazy thought.

Oct 28, 2017
I wish they'd experiment with solutions for times like this. Why not insert a card into a format instead of banning them? Like if they made Field of Ruin an emergency standard playable card what's the worst that could happen, especially since it was just in the previous Standard? Just print a few thousand as event entry rewards and ship them to stores to get them into circulation to keep the price down. I'm sure this is a crazy thought.

I kinda don't like the idea but on the other hand, it would work. I'm afraid it's a slippery slope.

TAFAE

Aug 27, 2018
Michigan
No changes anywhere makes sense mostly. Standard is too new, even though I'm much higher on the idea of FotD eating a ban in the near future after seeing it this weekend. I think Modern has the shadow of a Mox Opal ban looming over it, but it hasn't quite become oppressive enough just yet. The Jeskai Ascendancy version of Paradoxical Outcome Urza might be the thing that does it, but who knows really? I don't know what's going on in Legacy or Vintage, besides the fact that whatever mono-brown deck will eventually become singleton-plus-4x-Mishra's Workshops as more potentially breakable artifacts and artifacts-matter cards get printed. I don't have a finger on the pulse of Pauper or anything, but not banning Arcum's Astrolabe (and Ephemerate?) seems like the one big miss today based on all the talk I've seen. It takes away so much of the cost for going multicolored in a format where the mana is supposed to be not great.

We'll see if Standard can adapt to FotD decks, but with aggro looking nearly dead in the format and not much that deals with lands, it seems like the outlook is poor. On the Arena Decklists podcast last week Bryan and Gerry got into this a little bit, but with the advent of Arena, people are able to solve Standard much quicker than ever before. They speculated that Wizards should maybe move up the PT's and MC's as a result of this, so that they aren't showing a "solved" format. Maybe Wizards ought to look at both doing that and also doing a B&R a week afterwards in the event that it's needed to ensure the health of Standard.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At a minimum Golos should get banned immediately and let the format deal with Field decks that lack the tutoring and CA engine.

I've been playing Field and/or Brolos since M20 and the format is definitely not good right now without good ways to hate this out without distorting deck construction.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Can I just say that a card designed for Commander turning Standard on its head is fucking funny?

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Hogaak was the same thing in Modern too, just a few months ago!
Hogaak was designed for Modern, not Commander, and I have Modern theorycrafting messages between myself and a friend before the set launched to prove it. I bet a lot of people have that for Hogaak. No one could have predicted Golos would be this playable in standard.

TAFAE

Aug 27, 2018
Michigan
Hogaak was designed for Modern, not Commander, and I have Modern theorycrafting messages between myself and a friend before the set launched to prove it. I bet a lot of people have that for Hogaak. No one could have predicted Golos would be this playable in standard.
I don't have a link or anything, but I remember hearing that play design or whoever else from development said they thought it was going to be a cool Commander card but not see constructed play. Not just referring to the initial reaction from the playerbase.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
They're really pushing those Commander cards nowadays, huh? lol
They have to. The Commander player base is getting bigger and bigger.

They really should try to limit pushed Commander cards to supplemental products though. They printed Leovold in Conspiracy, which did wreck havoc in Legacy until DRS got banned. Hilariously enough, Leovold ended up getting banned in Commander.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I don't have a link or anything, but I remember hearing that play design or whoever else from development said they thought it was going to be a cool Commander card but not see constructed play. Not just referring to the initial reaction from the playerbase.
If that's what they thought they were waaaay off base. I was immediately trying to figure out how to get him out turn 1 the very second I saw him spoiled.

I often question play/design lately.

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN
I would rather have pushed cards that might need standard bans than to have a bunch of weak shit that isn't useful in eternal formats. This time next year Golos will still be a good EDH card while Standard players will be slobbing over whatever new netdeck they can misplay.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
If that's what they thought they were waaaay off base. I was immediately trying to figure out how to get him out turn 1 the very second I saw him spoiled.

I often question play/design lately.

We often design cards to fill multiple roles. Rather than design a card whose sole job is tier 1 Standard card, Limited bomb, or Commander staple, we have better results when we design cards that can be fun in many settings. When Play Design started playtesting M20 Standard, we looked at this clearly Commander-pointed card and thought it looked like a really fun design for Standard. We playtested and iterated on it until we were happy with its Standard power level and satisfied it was still an appealing commander. Finding any land was important for Commander, and strong stats were important for Standard. We ended up with a really fun card.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
My monoblack deck handles Golos no problem except, ironically, a monoblack Golos build I've seen and don't think my deck could handle.

Nov 2, 2017
Man, the fact that you can't even playtest decks to see if you even enjoy playing it with cards you don't have against the bots in Arena is fucking bunk. Especially with how punishing it is to waste rare and mythic wild cards.

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
Sperling's Sick of It - Throne of Eldraine Edition

Great Sick of It for this set. Agree with pretty much all his criticism.

Early days, but for me this set is looking rough on all axes. Constructed: more dumb three-mana PWs; silly, obviously-pushed mythics; inconsistent design. The limited format seems to be the worst of both worlds, where the games are long, drawn-out slogs that are still hugely dependent on bomb rares/uncommons. And I really don't like the trend of printing more and more cards that are Standard-legal without appearing in regular boosters.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Ha! I had that come up in draft where a Knight token with no race mattered. I was like what? It clearly looks human!

Also yeah Oko is super duper dumb and I don't even play Standard.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Sperling's Sick of It - Throne of Eldraine Edition

Great Sick of It for this set. Agree with pretty much all his criticism.

Early days, but for me this set is looking rough on all axes. Constructed: more dumb three-mana PWs; silly, obviously-pushed mythics; inconsistent design. The limited format seems to be the worst of both worlds, where the games are long, drawn-out slogs that are still hugely dependent on bomb rares/uncommons. And I really don't like the trend of printing more and more cards that are Standard-legal without appearing in regular boosters.
That article pretty bad, TBH

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy to see more midrange focus but the simple fact they created a hugely pushed creature to destroy Planeswalkers [Questing Beast] in a set, and all 3 Planeswalkers they added can't actually be killed by it due to their insane loyalty...

That basically sums up the set.

Status
Not open for further replies.