• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 16, 2018
star city games https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/dt9ny0/additional_transparency_regarding_the_2020_scg/ said:
The truth of Legacy is that the format has gotten smaller over the past few years. This is not due to the health of the format, or because we (as a business) want the format to head in that direction. The fact is that as a format, accessibility and affordability of cards is a huge factor. A decade ago, a Near Mint Badlands was $29.99 and an Underground Sea was $59.99. Today, those cards cost a literal 10x more (Badlands at $299.99 and Underground Sea at $599.99).

The existence of the Reserve List (https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Reserved_List) has stifled the ability for Legacy to grow as a format. Without any ability for some of the most expensive and crucial cards in the format to see reprint (most notably Dual Lands), it's extremely difficult for new players to enter Legacy.

With the introduction of Pioneer, we felt that now was finally the time to move away from Legacy as a main SCG tour format. Pioneer is a format that immediately has struck a chord with the greater Magic community, and has a lot of room for growth. While I personally feel badly that Legacy is being cut as being a SCG Open or SCG Team Open format, it's something that (by solely business metrics) should have happened 2-3 years ago.

more reserved list woes

Feb 16, 2018
reading that mystery boosters won't have updated oracle text for the cards

for example, it's really easy to miss that some of the older cards (some heavily played in modern/pioneer) can target planeswalkers instead of just creatures + players

i would have liked printings with the updated rules text

Oct 28, 2017
That's too bad. So the store version is just standard cube with foils.

At least I'll be going to a Magicfest and can hopefully check it out. I am also hoping this moves the needle on pricing. I want a foil Selvala badly but it's way expensive.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Not a product I'd touch with a 10 foot pole, but I guess it'll be nice if the reprints lower some card prices.

Feb 16, 2018
the playtest cards looked fun, but i'd probably want to just draft without them after the first few times

without test cards, they could put this on magic online
something similar could be done with arena too, but arena hates limited

Oct 25, 2017
Have they been in the habit of making people replace scribbled over card's before? I know I've seen signed cards on camera but I can't remember seeing alters it any sort other than at Vintage/Legacy champs (which I don't think are Pro REL?).

Like, I'm all for what Autumns doing here but I'm also not sure that I've ever seen them allow cards marked up like that before in Pro REL ever.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I mean, I'm not surprised they don't want cards marked all over like that. If there's one company I don't actually think has any intention of stamping out statements like that, it's WOTC. If anything it sort of works out, because it brought a lot of attention to it, and at the end of the day I don't think they look particularly bad because of it /shrug

TestMonkey

Nov 3, 2017
I stopped playing Standard years ago because it was too expensive for me in the long term. Every year I paid money to be competitive and every year my deck would lose 70-90% of its value when rotation occurred. Legacy on the other hand was relatively cheap (in fact it can be argued to be a pretty good financial investment) and stable thanks to the reserve list. Also, thanks to the rise of Commander the value of a lot of Legacy staples have found a a secondary market.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
I stopped playing Standard years ago because it was too expensive for me in the long term. Every year I paid money to be competitive and every year my deck would lose 70-90% of its value when rotation occurred. Legacy on the other hand was relatively cheap (in fact it can be argued to be a pretty good financial investment) and stable thanks to the reserve list. Also, thanks to the rise of Commander the value of a lot of Legacy staples have found a a secondary market.
Legacy is only a sound investment if there is a strong local scene. Pioneer has further put the death knell into legacy as a large format.

ZeroCoin

Oct 26, 2017
Autumn definitely has lands with the same basic message on them on steam right now. Not sure if there was something specific that WotC needed addressed, or what the deal was. Hopefully they can share what happened at some point. Definitely surprised to see that happen after the Hong Kong statements.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone actually think that the ability to play cards from the sideboard is a good idea from a design and balancing standpoint? Seems super busted to me

Oct 25, 2017
I can reasonably support a policy that allows you to express your beliefs but also prevents you from calling anyone out by name. There isn't much of a slippery slope argument for the former but there definitely is for the latter.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone actually think that the ability to play cards from the sideboard is a good idea from a design and balancing standpoint? Seems super busted to me
In Bo3 it makes for great deck building choices. While Karn tutoring up lattice sucks there's a real tradeoff between running it and losing 5+ SB slots and not running it for a better SB.

In EDH thankfully wishes don't work at all

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
The wild part is that each slot in the booster comes from a sheet of 121 cards. It means that a random common Shock is equally as are as a Mythic Mana Crypt!

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
It's confirmed that the playtest cards are exclusive to the convention edition. The store version will instead have one of 121 foils in that slot, which are cards that can't be found in the other slots. Presumably, these will be normal cards, with a chunk being money cards.

Speaking of which, looking at the other slots, there is actually decent value overall, though the reprints are largely things that are expensive only due to low supply, so we're already seeing huge drops in prices.

In the Throne of Eldraine vision design handoff article,
Each court has its own philosophy which it aggressively pushes. We reflect this in the set through a monocolor theme, that is cards that encourage you to play all or mostly one color. This is something we want to push for Limited with some players playing just one color and others playing a two-color deck that prioritizes one color over the other.

Note from the editor: No really, we removed this text. You can't see it yet. It isn't ready for you. You'll find out what's coming soon enough, but now is not the time. There will be a point at which, at some future date, you learn about the thing—this magical thing—being so unfairly hidden from you. And O, how wondrous will that day be. But it is not this day.

This paragraph talks about upcoming sets that aren't public yet, so I sadly have to black it out.

There are a number of tools built into the set to help with this monocolor theme:

Choice Costs

This is a tool bigger than just monocolor play, but has the biggest impact on this theme, so I'm going to talk about it here. Choice costs are mana costs where there are two mana costs in the upper right-hand corner. The current plan is that one cost is the primary cost and the second cost, now in parenthesis, is an alternate cost. The primary cost is used when determining converted mana cost. The plan is to put the cost with the heaviest concentration of color as the primary cost to help out devotion down the road.
They went out of their way to censor a section presumably talking about devotion, only to leave in a mention of it right after. Whoops.

The article also notably mentions that they looked into a lot of Knight based mechanics, including a renamed bushido (to chivalry).

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
In EDH thankfully wishes don't work at all
I dunno, there's the fact that my one friend at my kitchen table insists it plays as on the card since it's not a tournament, even though me and the one other friend most commonly playing with him say it should be handled with a wishboard. And I mean, there's an argument there I suppose, but it still feels lame to have an opponent go "okay, now let me spend a few minutes looking through my collection to see what would screw you over the absolute most in this specific situation."

I don't even know if it's particularly good per se, but it still makes for a definite feel-bad when you don't happen to have the tools to stop it.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I dunno, there's the fact that my one friend at my kitchen table insists it plays as on the card since it's not a tournament, even though me and the one other friend most commonly playing with him say it should be handled with a wishboard. And I mean, there's an argument there I suppose, but it still feels lame to have an opponent go "okay, now let me spend a few minutes looking through my collection to see what would screw you over the absolute most in this specific situation."

I don't even know if it's particularly good per se, but it still makes for a definite feel-bad when you don't happen to have the tools to stop it.
Haha that friend would get hated out at my table then if that didn't change their ways possibly cut from the team. That's so stupid haha

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017

official rules don't even mention wishboards anymore and wishes don't work in brawl either. If you're ok with a wishboard then that's fine I personally dislike it since that leads to even less deckbuilding cost. You could try and teach them a lesson by just putting karn in all your decks and spend several minutes looking for your lattice.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Wishing is acceptable when you're using Spawnsire of Ulamog to wish for one of every Eldrazi that's ever been printed.

B&R update - Veil of Summer banned in Pioneer
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

Veil of Summer banned in Pioneer

Wow, I didn't expect a Standard card to be banned in Pioneer before the normal B&R announcement, and especially not for a defensive card like Veil. I also didn't expect a ban today with a tournament coming up this week. I suppose a sideboard card is the best card they could ban in a situation like that, since it doesn't mess up a deck. It also allows them to see if the Green Devotion threats are still too strong on their own.

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017

Veil of Summer banned in Pioneer

Wow, I didn't expect a Standard card to be banned in Pioneer before the normal B&R announcement, and especially not for a defensive card like Veil. I also didn't expect a ban today with a tournament coming up this week. I suppose a sideboard card is the best card they could ban in a situation like that, since it doesn't mess up a deck. It also allows them to see if the Green Devotion threats are still too strong on their own.
Veil is also just an obv design mistake imo. Better to be rid of it.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't need to cantrip; that's what puts it over the top. . Autumns Veil would be fine.
Not only the cantrip, also the player's hexproof which sidesteps edicts, target player loses X life effects, discard spells... The card protects against literally every single angle of attack in B and U for a single mana. The only thing it doesn't stop are non-targetting wraths.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Green shouldn't have cards like Veil. What's the point of differences in colors if green is going to get a de facto counterspell like that.

Oct 25, 2017
Green has counterspells for removal all the time (Blossoming Defense, etc). No big deal. I'm even okay with it giving the player hexproof as well considering that it's more narrow (as a color hoser). The cantrip on top is what's egregious.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Green has counterspells for removal all the time (Blossoming Defense, etc). No big deal. I'm even okay with it giving the player hexproof as well considering that it's more narrow (as a color hoser). The cantrip on top is what's egregious.
It's a philosophical disagreement I have with how they design cards that bleed way over, for sure. I also dislike fight 🤷‍♂️

But Veil, the cantrip is egregious and granting the hexproof to you AND all permanents for G is egregious. That they're both in one card is for just G is super double stupid.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It's a philosophical disagreement I have with how they design cards that bleed way over, for sure. I also dislike fight 🤷‍♂️

But Veil, the cantrip is egregious and granting the hexproof to you AND all permanents for G is egregious. That they're both in one card is for just G is super double stupid.
For real, the cheap ass cards that do like 12 things at once are getting to be a bit much. Even more so because they're mostly all green which makes everything stale. The meta revolves around one color, and that one color can do everything cheaper and quicker.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's just lazy design, to cram all that stuff on a single card. And there's a lot of it these days. Look at The Questing Beast. It has so many abilities the people who actually play it forget what it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.