• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
There don't seem to be any other cards at risk at this point. Oko hasn't been too much trouble and Simic is dead without him. The delve draw cards have somehow been pretty harmless.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if we'll see Black overtake Green as the best color now that Once Upon a Time is gone.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if we'll see Black overtake Green as the best color now that Once Upon a Time is gone.
Monoblack was already the overall most successful deck, but that was riding on the back of Smuggler's Copter.

On another note, I'm reminded of how people thought for sure that Field of the Dead wouldn't be an issue in a format with Blood Sun and such.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Monoblack was already the overall most successful deck, but that was riding on the back of Smuggler's Copter.

On another note, I'm reminded of how people thought for sure that Field of the Dead wouldn't be an issue in a format with Blood Sun and such.

I think there's a concern that the 1-2 punch of Thoughtseize and Fatal Push might be too good, regardless of whether or not it supports mono-black specifically.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
*"White weenie" with 4 copies of OUaT wins one of a dozen or so pioneer PTQs in one week*

*White is otherwise horrifically underplayed in those PTQs, showing up in around 20% of multicolored decks, most of them Bant Field splashing for Teferi and Supreme Verdict. White is almost completely absent from top 16s outside Bant Field.*

"But White's fine, it won a PTQ!"

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just ordered 2 Bitterblossoms. Haven't seen a digital waiting line in ages.
Very common for this sort of thing. Blizzcon tickets are the same, for instance, especially for products where they're trying to actually fairly manage a first in first out style product delivery. Let's you check out without pressure to go go go.

Judge Promos
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

0002_MTGP20_Promo_Judge_EN_HRR_PREM.png

0003_MTGP20_Promo_Judge_EN_HRR_PREM.png

0004_MTGP20_Promo_Judge_EN_HRR_PREM.png

0006_MTGP20_Promo_Judge_EN_HRR_PREM.png

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
All y'all saying green is too powerful and it doesn't even get a judge promo
Atheists 1 Green Mages 0

Oct 28, 2017
That demonic tutor is incredibly cool with that art style/theme. And I want that Spellseeker.

Edit: Very wrong choice of words after rereading that.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Why the fuck was Food of all mechanics pushed to be a constructed powerhouse?

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Why the fuck was Food of all mechanics pushed to be a constructed powerhouse?
Clues were of an acceptable power level, where the individual Clue was stronger than a Food, but there weren't that many synergy cards for sacrificing clues. So, to counterbalance that Food were weaker than clues, they jacked up the number of Synergy cards, and that's how we got to this point.

Seriously, Clues had Tireless Tracker, that Jace Journal card that let you tutor, and like 3 limited-only build arounds, while Food synergy is EVERYWHERE

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, that's a funny point. In a vacuum, if you told me there were two similar mechanics but the life gain one was better than the card draw one I would call you crazy. It's definitely the synergy cards being pushed much harder like Krev said.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not really about the number of food synergies is it? I only count cat, wolf and trail of crumbs as the most relevant. Korvold if you want to count him.
But they are just very strong synergies.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
There was only one card that used clues as a cost. Most of the clue synergy was in the form of sacrifice triggers, requiring you to use the clues as intended, or add another card. There are 8 cards that use food as a cost. It plays more like energy than clues.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's why when I first read Oko when it was one of the earliest cards spoiled, I thought it sucked- Food seemed kind of worthless and I clearly missevaluated the Elk ability and the high loyalty.

Oct 25, 2017
Goose as well. Goose is similar in play pattern to Deathrite Shaman.

Zorro you're crazy!

No I'm not. It's a mana dork that accelerates you on turn one but also has repeated utility and isn't a dead top deck.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm thinking Food seeming weaker than Clues was a big part of why we saw a push. They probably though "Gain 2 life? How can we get people to use these? Push it a bit." Little did they know...

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well I like to differentiate engines and payoffs. Goose, oven and Oko are food engines, wolf/trail/cat are payoffs.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
It's the exact same mistake they made with Energy.
Yeah- I can understand how energy was broken- it was a first try at a mechanic that hadn't really been done before. Same as how I can understand how Smug Copter was broken- it was their first try at Vehicles, and thus they didn't understand how powerful they were. Food, on the other hand, is a hybrid of Energy and Clues, and they should have caught it in playtesting the set- like, if Guilded Goose was an uncommon, and they were still doing themed precon decks, we totally would have gotten a precon full of Cat, Oven, Trail of Crumbs and and Goose that would have been pretty close to the Golgari decks

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Why do they insist on creating alternative resources anyway.
Especially now that they aren't doing 3-set blocks anymore, they are burning through mechanics really quickly, and you can only do so many variations of Kicker. In 3 set blocks with small sets, they could burn off smaller mechanics like Tribute, Battle Cry, Fateful Hour that are very narrow or boring, but now all mechanics need to be more "impactful" as they are in larger sets

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
How long until "blocks" return to mitigate that burn rate?

I'm still of the opinion that the removal of small sets and blocks is one cause (among many) of the massive power creep over the past couple years. They can't do weak sets that focus on supplementing existing decks anymore because each set has to be an all star that stands alone.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
How long until "blocks" return to mitigate that burn rate?
Also, they have to design new mechanics for the the Commander decks, for the ancillary booster products each year, etc. They probably should just be willing to go back to re-using mechanics more often- I think we are well past the point where people are not going to care about a set because the new mechanics aren't cool

Oct 25, 2017
As a random comment: playing against SaffronOlive when he's streaming must be a completely miserable experience. He wastes soooooo much of his opponent's time goofing off with chat.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we have to worry about new mechanic space. Eldraine has only three new mechanics, and the one we're complaining about is literally just a token that gains life.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
As a random comment: playing against SaffronOlive when he's streaming must be a completely miserable experience. He wastes soooooo much of his opponent's time goofing off with chat.
At least they don't have to hear him mispronounce every other card name, or say the correct line out loud then decide to change course at the last second and lose for reasons.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we have to worry about new mechanic space. Eldraine has only three new mechanics, and the one we're complaining about is literally just a token that gains life.
Yeah this, just like how commander mechanics don't matter - that's design space that is never going to be used in standard Magic. Making random variations of old mechanics still leaves a ton of space as long as they make them narrow, which is basically what food is in the first place.

Nothing is stopping them from making shit 'unique' mechanics like Haunt, aside from not wanting to make shitty mechanics.

Feb 16, 2018
there's nothing wrong with food or energy. it's just about the cards they decided to make. in energy's case, the cards only felt strong because everything else was weak

clues are actually more broken because they just reward going 1st

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I have to wonder if literally anyone at the Future Future League even tried to make a White deck for Eldraine standard that wasn't just splashing for Teferi/board wipes.

Feb 16, 2018
I have to wonder if literally anyone at the Future Future League even tried to make a White deck for Eldraine standard that wasn't just splashing for Teferi/board wipes.

FFL decklists tend to suck

while eldraine was being finalized (about a year ago), best of 1 was the new hotness, white go-wide aggro was the best deck, and there were lots of other aggro decks all over the place. they specifically said they wanted to nerf aggression

things change. they can't metagame. that's why i'm in favor of just making cards that are balanced/fun as standalone cards instead of picking winners/losers

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Was going through a bunch of my mom's old cards, I helped her sell a lot of her collection a few years ago, forgot I had a bunch of signed ones that I didn't think would have much value that I meant to get back to...didn't realize Quinton Hoover had passed away :( I used to love his art. She has like a page of his stuff signed, but it's more depressing looking at it than anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.