• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mystical Dispute
  • Cade

Oct 26, 2017
    Nowheresville, MT
    EEAbRVBXkAANEHf

Seems great in the control mirror. Glad spoilers are starting up again

The Royal Scions
  • Koz

Sep 5, 2018
    Rowan and Will officially spoilered (there was a leak last week):

7hz186d5pkl31.png

The Royal Scions 1UR

Legendary Planeswalker - Will Rowan
    [+1]: Draw a card, then discard a card.
    [+1]: Target creature gets +2/+0 and gains first strike and trample until end of turn.
    [-8]: Draw four cards. When you do, The Royal Scions deals damage to any target equal to the number of cards in your hand.

Starting loyalty - 5

Wishclaw Talisman; Embercleave
  • Koz

Sep 5, 2018
    Couple more solid reveals:

6wb0pc9jfll31.png

Seems really good if you can reliably bounce/remove it after using (i.e. Teferi)

EECRlkTXYAA-Xu-

Mono red gets a new toy! Or really any red-based aggro deck.

Doom Foretold; Wicked Wolf; Blow Your House Down; Oakhame Ranger
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    Questing Beast out to get Teferi, Nissa, and Tamiyo.
    Can also block Gideon and remove loyalty counters (Gideon is still a planeswalker as a creature and thus normally damage would remove loyalty counters, which is why Gideon prevents damage).

dMSz80bh.jpg

The land is ruined until a hero rises up. Neat flavor.

69647779_2444416628999872_6945053274017890304_n.png
    69705244_2444416678999867_1997286386801049600_n.png

Great flavor

q9382tvmbll31.png

"Oakland Raider"

Sorcery - Adventure
    Create two 1/1 human tokens

Tap: Creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.

Witch's Vengeance
  • Koz

Sep 5, 2018
    We got the black removal, now we got the sweeper.

pefrxlphull31.png

Usefulness depends largely on how tribal the meta decks will be, but it will be good against Knights if that becomes a thing. Maybe Elementals too?

Garenbrig Paladin; Outmuscle; Once and Future
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

190906190422165_u87.png

"Holy Knight" - 4G
    Creature - Giant Knight
    Adamant - If you paid at least GGG to cast this spell, ~ enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter.
    ~ cannot be blocked by creatures with power less than or equal to 2.
    4/4

1909061912534_u87.png

"Bear Suplex" - 3G
    Sorcery
    Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature you control, then it fights target creature you don't control.
    Adamant - If you paid at least GGG to cast this spell, creatures you control gain indestructible until end of turn.

190906192119312_u87.png

"That Cloud Looks Like a Knight" - 3G
    Instant
    Return target card in your graveyard to your hand, then put another target card from your graveyard on top of your library. Exile ~
    Adamant - If you paid at least GGG to cast this spell, instead return both cards to your hand and exile ~.

Pretty good Limited cards

Emry, Lurker of the Loch
  • Koz

Sep 5, 2018
    tdyyzinoool31.png

(copied from reddit)

Emry, Lurker of the Loch {2}{U}
    Legendary Creature — Merfolk Wizard
    This spell costs {1} less to cast for each artifact you control.
    When Emry, Lurker of the Loch enters the battlefield, put the top four cards of your library into your graveyard.
    {T}: choose target artifact card in your graveyard. You may cast that card this turn.
    1/2

Umm, excuse me? Why yes I was looking for something to put into my reanimator deck. I'm not too familiar with non-Standard formats, but this seems like it could be broken outside of Standard.

Feasting Troll King; Covetous Urge
  • Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
    Banned
    Oct 25, 2017
    hrx9fm2lsql31.png

Feels a tad tuned, still decent

hd75e971qql31.png

Greedy Impulse {U/B}{U/B}{U/B}{U/B}
    Sorcery (Uncommon)
    Target opponent reveals their hand. You choose a nonland card in that player's hand or graveyard, and exile it. For as long as that card remains exiled, you may cast it, and you may spend mana as though it were any type to cast it.

Fun card but hybrid everywhere is boring

Trail of Crumbs; Curious Pair
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    Red has had 2/2s for RR for a while before Eldritch Moon. That set was the first time at all that red got a 2/2 for 1R with no downside, regardless of rarity.

Clackbridge Troll reminds me a lot of Desecration Demon back in Return to Ravnica standard. It was way stronger than people first thought.

637037060248378424.png

Trail of Crumbs
    Enchantment
    When Trail of Crumbs enters the battlefield, create a Food token.
    Whenever you sacrifice a food, you may pay (1). If you do, look at the top two cards of your library. You may reveal a permanent card from among them and put it in your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.

637037060111442672.png

"Curious Pair"
    Commissary Treats {G}
    Sorcery - Adventure
    Create a Food token

(Vanilla creature)

Now you too can lure kids to their death!

Wildborn Preserver
  • Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
    Banned
    Nov 1, 2017
    Cutie gobo, shame it's riding a nasty weasel.

In other news:

en_Az6mYSq35Z.png

Possibly another tool for Simic flash? Dump all your excess mana into this on your opponent's endstep if you play a cheap flash creature.

Last edited:
    Worthy Knight; Claim the Firstborn; Syr Carah, the Bold; Searing Barrage
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    yx7kdlyinsl31.jpg

Big get for Knight decks

3579302-eld_850_claim_the_firstborn.png

Go, baby, and fight for me!

62zl42m0osl31.png

I do love me some pingers

unknown.png

Pretty standard red common removal for Limited.

Outlaws' Merriment
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    nr9767jnetl31.png

Looks like we're full on getting Robin Hood tropes here too. This seems pretty fun, and interesting new text format.

EDIT: Tokens. The rogue has a pretty significant misprint.
    unknown.png

Syr Elenora the Discerning; Stolen by the Fae; Ayara, First of Locthwain; The Royal Scions variant art
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    elenora_6078179.jpg

Syr Elenora the Discerning - 3UU
    Legendary Creature - Human Knight
    ~ power is equal to the number of cards in your hand.
    When ~ enters the battlefield, draw a card.
    Spells your opponents cast that target ~ cost 2 more to cast.
    */4

image0.jpg

Stolen by the Fae - XUU
    Sorcery
    Return target creature with converted mana cost X to its owners hand. Create X 1/1 blue Faerie creature tokens with flying.

o8nb2u9qhyl31.jpg

Yes, the official preview cut off the power and toughness. Apparently it's a 2/3.

And the alternate art for The Royal Scions
    image0.jpg

Last edited:
    Trapped in the Tower; Beloved Princess; True Love's Kiss; Inquisitive Puppet
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

The article mentions they gave the artists more freedom to draw what they wanted, but I feel like this had a negative side effect. I remember an interview with the Mirage era art director, and she mentioned that artists tend to draw white people unless instructed otherwise, and I think we're seeing a lot of that here. So many of the non-legendary humans are white, much more so than past sets, it seems.

On that note, three cards depicting white princesses.

en_ZpwABnwllq.png
    en_x8ft1vFGDU.png
    en_ewWGFTZJ4q.png

Trapped in the Tower is neat. Note Faerie Guidemother can save creatures from the tower. Beloved Princess has tons of dangers lurking in the art.

And a white puppet
    en_rbvLMCAiZE.png

Great design here too.

People are bringing up the lack of twists with the fairy tale tropes, and I think making them, well, not white would have helped a lot.

Opportunistic Dragon
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    This is what I'm missing. This stuff is so on the nose that I'm looking for any kind of diegetic or metatextual explanation for why this stuff is happening in Eldraine, for why all the magic here is whimsical.
    Ah, that's what you meant earlier.
    I would like to know what, say, Rowan thinks of all these fairy tale events.

I wouldn't call it working out when there's almost no legendaries from Theros people remember but part of that is surely most of them being trash.
    The gods are pretty popular.

image0.jpg

Neat design, and a cool way for red to get white "exile until CARDNAME leaves the battlefield" effects.

Reave Soul
  • Koz

Sep 5, 2018
    I saw the 5UU instant and started having Nexus flashbacks. Actually really good for any sort of mill deck and probably any control deck by late game. Or maybe any deck, 7 cards in the yard is not a lot.

g92j16qj92m31.png

And here's the "that doesn't look like a Cast Down reprint" black removal card.

Oakhame Adversary; Redcap Melee; Specter's Shriek
  • Koz

Sep 5, 2018
    Bunch of spoilers just released. Here are the Japanese ones from Shouta Yasooka:

6vajp1aj86m31.png

Oakhame Adversary(?)

Creature - Elf Warrior
    3G
    This spell costs 2 less to cast if an opponent controls a green permanent.
    Deathtouch
    Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, draw a card.
    2/3

w30wcsmy86m31.png

Red Cap Brawl

Instant
    R
    Red Cap Brawl deals 4 damage to target creature or planeswalker. If it deals damage to a non-red permanent, you sacrifice a land.

48hbpnjn96m31.png

Sorcery
    B
    Target opponent reveals his or her hand. You may choose a non-land card from the opponent's hand. If you do, opponent exiles that card. If a non-black card was exiled in this way, exile a card from your hand.

Ardenvale Tactician; Merchant of the Vale; Wandermare
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

Article explaining how adventures came to be.
    * First came the roar mechanic in Ixalan, which acted like adventures do now more or less, but only went on expensive dinosaurs. You'd hear the dinosaur roaring in the distance, which would do something, and you could cast it later from exile.
    * Later, they put channel from Kamigawa block into the set, but that didn't add enough decision points, so they added the ability to cast it after you channel it. Then they wanted it to be counterable.
    * There were both adventures, and a splashier mechanic calls quests, which was a discarded Zendikar mechanic. People confused the names of the two a lot internally, especially once they tried switching them around.
    * As part of Project Booster Fun, they wanted a mechanic that could get a fancy frame treatment. This led to adventures getting the "creature with a spell" aspect, which also addressed them wanting adventures to be counterable. This also led to quest's removal, as it didn't need to be the splashy mechanic anymore.

en_N7O7Lha07f.png
    en_zSUxKmm2v4.png
    en_MEqMAUAxTa.png

Merchant of the Vale looks like it could be good in nonrotating formats. In Limited, it not having to tap for its ability should be big.

Knight of the Keep; Lost Legion; Ogre Errant; Raging Redcap
  • Koz

Sep 5, 2018
    A whole bunch of common knights:

EESEJn6XkAIKpnt
    EESEJoBXUAEGern
    EESEJoHXUAAm6ql
    EESEKUHX4AA8M3R

Venerable Knight was also officially spoiled.

Status
    Not open for further replies.