• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2017
jpgi2n7cw2q21.png

Same girl from Growth Spiral. Kinda cool.

Really wish this was target permanent. Or at least enchantment also.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm immediately reminded of that wacky game Deadly Premonition.

I guess even mentioning it in this context is something of a spoiler though?

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
fuck yeah

4 mana to destroy a permanent at instant speed and ramp yourself? Are you crazy?

cmon it would be like a super mwonvuli acid moss, and everyone loves that card

actually come to think of it i like the card but i hate anything that makes sultai better

stupid wilderness rec is so unfun

Last edited:

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh Golgari already has Assassin's Trophy, Abrupt Decay AND Deathrite Shaman they can go fuck themselves

Edit: oh and Dredge

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN
Tiny Leaders was a made-up format that came from the minds of card sellers to temporarily spike the value of otherwise worthless cards.

Hey now, it's super fun. I wasn't around for all of the original drama and came upon it myself late last year. It's quicker/better than 1v1 CEDH and the <=3CMC restriction is a neat challenge to brew decks around. There are a lot of commanders/cards that don't work in EDH but are allstars in TL.

My most recent build is a Persistent Petitioners mill deck led by Kami of the Crescent Moon. Bonkers if you can get it off but specific card hate like Pithing Needle completely shuts it down.

The new Krenko is cool because he still builds a giant Gobbo army but by going tall himself. Traditional go-wide Krenko cards don't do shit and cost a lot more than 3CMC. This Krenko isn't as good in traditional EDH because it'd be more of a Voltron build and he's just not good enough for that. In TL though? Bonkers.

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Ripped this GIF from my personal favorite moment in the WAR trailer, hope it finds some use.

WotC: We got a Planeswalker in every pack
My playgroup:

o8d3nU3.gif

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I mentioned vastly preferring new art to old in here before, and I just ran into a real strong example for me, haha.

Old Anger (aka weird baby old man monster thing):
Image.ashx

Versus New Anger (cool magma monster dude):
Image.ashx

I played a good bit with the old one and in theory that's where my nostalgia is, but man, I jumped hard on the chance to upgrade to the new one for my Alesha commander deck.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
Okay, I mentioned vastly preferring new art to old in here before, and I just ran into a real strong example for me, haha.

Image.ashx

Image.ashx

I played a good bit with the old one and in theory that's where my nostalgia is, but man, I jumped hard on the chance to upgrade to the new one for my Alesha commander deck.
i think the top one looks way more angry

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Image.ashx

You're crazy haha the angry baby is far superior

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure I killed that angry cosmic wizard baby in the Nightmare of Mensis in Bloodbourne. Definitely the best art.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Current art is a bit too serious for my taste most of the time. Seb McKinnon is a beast though, love his style.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
As a new-ish player, I've generally been not into the art whatsoever, but I'm slowly coming around on some of it.
I really like the art for the new Ajani:
ajanithegreathearted1.jpg

It's the first card I've wanted just for the art (ignoring the fact that it's also a super dope card)

I looked up Minguez's other stuff and sure enough it's pretty good. I like the more cartoony style he's got going. It reminds me of the Battlebond art, which I'm also a fan of over the more generic fantasy looking stuff.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I can also name examples where modern art took a turn for the worse by inserting planeswalkers doing cool poses.

Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Execute Order 66 and kill all the Jedi planeswalkers. Save us, Nico!

Tolsimir, Friend to Wolves

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can also name examples where modern art took a turn for the worse by inserting planeswalkers doing cool poses.

Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Execute Order 66 and kill all the Jedi planeswalkers. Save us, Nico!
d6610c6a-717f-406e-a49d-b6e548880946.jpg

Nothing personnel

Oh btw this is new. Sounds good for limited, mediocre for constructed (there's 3 wolves in standard and they all blow)

l4dza90d57q21.png

Feb 16, 2018
i feel with the new art they do a better job at making it look like all the cards belong in the same place and tell the same story, but the side effect of that is that things look very similar

i regularly get confused between cards that have identical casting costs when drafting new sets

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
So what's the over/under on Urza finally getting a Planeswalker card now that we're in a world where Serra finally gets her own card and PWs are falling from the sky? That's all I've wanted since PWs were a thing, storyline be damned.

Role Reversal
Oct 27, 2017
The two weirds seem fun, but not really something you would run in a 'good' deck.

Speaking of good cards:

k7dsrun6a9q21.jpg

Role Inversion - UUR

Sorcery - Rare

Exchange control of two target permanents that share a type.

Flavor text: "Uthlon the Wise scandalized the Sphinx's society by yelling riddles' solutions while vandalizing Tin Street. Grangle on the other hand, remained still for hours, lost in his thoughts and ignored by other goblins."

Oct 25, 2017
The two weirds seem fun, but not really something you would run in a 'good' deck.

Speaking of good cards:

k7dsrun6a9q21.jpg

Role Inversion - UUR

Sorcery - Rare

Exchange control of two target permanents that share a type.

Flavor text: "Uthlon the Wise scandalized the Sphinx's society by yelling riddles' solutions while vandalizing Tin Street. Grangle on the other hand, remained still for hours, lost in his thoughts and ignored by other goblins."
I want to see the exact English text of this, but at first glance I really like this card. It has a lot of neat interactions for stealing lands, enchantments, and planeswalkers.

Oct 25, 2017
You don't steal though...
You do steal, they just steal at the same time. I'm happy to give someone an Island for their upgraded Azcanta.

You can also do things like "giving" someone a Gift of Paradise (it stays on your side and you don't lose any benefits), or "giving" someone your Curious Obsession if they're playing a creature-heavy deck (they have to skip attacking for a round to make you lose it, otherwise you keep it, and either way you steal their enchantment), or in magical Christmas land, "giving" someone Captive Audience to steal their enchantment.

If you could somehow afford it, you could Mirror March, attack with the token, and then trade your self-destructing token for a creature. The more obvious case is giving someone a junk 1/1 in exchange for a powerful creature though.

You could use your planeswalker, then exchange it for a Teferi, then use the Teferi -3 to delete the gifted planeswalker and put it back into your deck.

Chronos

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like this set could shake up Standard a little more than normal for a spring set. I feel like I need to hold off on buying anything until things start to shake out a bit.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
Like, that looks like a Grixis card. One drop with lifelink and haste?

Maybe I'm just stuck in the old color pie of Sui Black. :P

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That is a terrible monoblack card, new color pie be damned.

Status
Not open for further replies.