• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Serra Angel is Black-Green!
The first creature with haste was monoblack.

116.jpg

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I understand there are black cards with haste, but keep posting examples.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Looking for thoughts on an idea for a format variant -

Minimum deck size: 65

Before starting remove any 5 basic lands from your deck and place them in the command zone

Once per turn you can pay X mana to place a land from the command zone into play tapped, where x = the number of lands you've moved from the command zone to the battlefield + 1

You can't do this if you went first and it's your first turn

Lemstar

Oct 25, 2017
not sure if giving everyone a guaranteed unboltable bird and a guaranteed uncounterable rampant growth is going to have the effect you want

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Looking for thoughts on an idea for a format variant -

Minimum deck size: 65

Before starting remove any 5 basic lands from your deck and place them in the command zone

Once per turn you can pay X mana to place a land from the command zone into play tapped, where x = the number of lands you've moved from the command zone to the battlefield + 1

You can't do this if you went first and it's your first turn

Are you intending to let everyone ramp, or is this just to let everyone have the mana they need?

The former would be kinda bad. If you're going for the latter, just let everyone put one of the lands in their hand during their upkeep. Or make the cost "Discard/exile a card from your hand" or something.

Should also limit it to a single color. Or even just require the 5 lands to be Wastes.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
not sure if giving everyone a guaranteed unboltable bird and a guaranteed uncounterable rampant growth is going to have the effect you want
What bird? The land enters tapped.

If you're going for the latter, just let everyone put one of the lands in their hand during their upkeep. Or make the cost "Discard/exile a card from your hand" or something.

Should also limit it to a single color. Or even
One in the hand during upkeep for free gives burn a massive advantage. They could just build a deck with only those five lands in it. The exile card from hand in addition to the increasing cost might be a good idea, though. As would going into hand instead of directly into play.

All wastes or only a single color feels like it'd favor monocolor decks to too great a degree, I think. They should have a consistency advantage, but I think not having to spend mana to fix their mana is enough of one.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

One in the hand during upkeep for free gives burn a massive advantage. They could just build a deck with only those five lands in it. The exile card from hand in addition to the increasing cost might be a good idea, though. As would going into hand instead of directly into play.

All wastes or only a single color feels like it'd favor monocolor decks to too great a degree, I think. They should have a consistency advantage, but I think not having to spend mana to fix their mana is enough of one.

What are your goals with this format? What experience are you trying to provide. This info would be helpful for giving feedback

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
What are your goals with this format? What experience are you trying to provide. This info would be helpful for giving feedback
Just trying to give players a greater degree of control over the consistency of their mana while trying to avoid favoring any archetype too heavily. Reduce the number of games that end before they begin due to mana screw/flood.

Oct 25, 2017
If the meta allowed decks with creatures to be more viable instead of esper + 5 planeswalkers, hexproof wouldn't be so necessary. :(

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Played Commander for the first time tonight. I don't really think it's the format for me. Just too chaotic.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Rescuer Sphinx seems very good, in limited anyway. 4/3 flyer for 3, probably with some small upside since it seems like there will be a lot of creatures with ETB effects, even if it's just an Amass.

The Sphinx gets out of hand quickly if you bounce something that proliferates. I just started drafting, I've M19 a few times (10 or so) and Guilds once and it's kind of crazy how much more powerful a lot of the revealed cards are than what I'm used to.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017

And Birds of Paradise has summoning sickness. But if you play it (or use your extra ability if it goes into play tapped) and don't miss your normal land drop, next turn you've got three mana up when it's only turn two (only works on the draw by your rules, but still).

Putting a land into play is not what you want. You definitely want it going into hand, and you definitely want to be swapping with a card in hand so it's not straight card advantage. You're still making it incredibly easy to fix colors, meaning you're encouraging decks with more colors. And ultimately anything that makes decks' mana more consistent will hurt aggro and help control: aggro gets win% because it can win with two lands and control can't.

If you're looking for a way to have more fun with your friends, just allow free mulligans of 1-landers and concede more aggressively since the goal is to play Magic, not to maximize win%. But any sort of sweeping change like this in a competitive environment will result in a shift in the meta, and it will make new problems.

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
I've got a peasant cube where the Simic guild in +1/+1 counter themed, and that card will fit in perfectly!

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
I wonder if Dayriel and Liliana's Triumph can make it into modern 8-Rack or if the slots are not worth it

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I love how much of a crossover event this set is. You've got Boros Legionairres and Rakdos devils fighting alongside Alaran leonin to take down Amonkheti super-zombies. Meanwhile Emrakul in human form (probably) is hanging out and Sorin and Nahiri are busy in the middle of their epic, centuries-long duel.

And who knows what 5-color Niv Mizzet is up to.

The only thing missing here is an appearance by the Phyrexians. I wonder if there might be a card or two in this set that hints at signs of Phyrexians who have infiltrated as observers or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.