• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
krwel8jw6iq21.png

Creature - Elf Druid
Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, proliferate.
3/2

Unlabeled landfall.
I'm hyped for this thing. I have at least two EDH decks that this slots right into

Clay

Oct 29, 2017

I meant in limited, but yeah. I think there's a few ways in Standard. Circuitous Route immediately comes to mind, and people are going to hesitate to use cards like Assassin's Trophy and Settle the Wreckage if Evolution Sage (or whatever its English name ends up being) is out and wouldn't be affected by the spell.

One of the likely reasons they stopped the free stories is because they were largely lambasted as being terrible. In particular, the Nissa stuff during BFZ was bad and we all collectively discovered that there was all of 2 people who could write at wizards. I wholeheartedly recommend reading story summaries for the BFZ stuff. The best story critical stuff they did was at the very end of that initiative with the Bolas origin.

It's really a shame that they're pulling back on it because it's by far the most successful they've been at engaging their audience with the story. They're shirking it for the books model that completely failed years ago and isn't likely to succeed the way they want it to.

I just got the BFZ story. I think I'll go ahead and give it a shot, but the first story was definitely pretty dumb. Nissa taking forever to figure out she was supposed to replicate her elemental's hand motion was lame, as was the fact that somehow doing that gesture activated the leylines.

The stories are pretty short, if it gets really bad I'll just skim through. Thanks for the warning though!

Are the new books going to be written by the same people who were putting the stories on the site together, or do we know?

Sep 14, 2018
Just saw the thing about Duo Standard, it was just as bad as everyone predicted if not worse (try to avoid sideboards, they show up as a wishboard mess just like in your games!)

I dont mind trying new formats at all but they are going about it from the wrong direction with the whole "must not include sideboard".

Oct 25, 2017
On the bright side, they immediately responded after trying it once, and a bunch of decent streamers got nice publicity and payout, so it looks like things are headed in a positive direction. :)

Sep 14, 2018
Yeah the event itself was very nice I thought, but still had a bunch of downtime while matches were being played for some reason.

I only had to see one Esper mirror to tune out completely, who wants to watch control mirrors permanently stuck preboard, and with a deck that has so many sb options, what a waste of great players.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I honestly think Duo Standard ended up looking worse than it even is just as a result of Standard in general not being fantastic at the moment.

Even if the format had been good it wasn't really going to show through in this current state of affairs.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I honestly think Duo Standard ended up looking worse than it even is just as a result of Standard in general not being fantastic at the moment.

Even if the format had been good it wasn't really going to show through in this current state of affairs.
Standard is literally the best it has ever been.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Standard is literally the best it has ever been.
I agree that Standard is in a good place since there are half a dozen viable tier 1 decks and another half a dozen underdogs that can steal good positions at tournaments but let's not pretend that there aren't 2-3 (depending on who you ask) goodstuff piles powered by almost perfect mana fixing that are dominating because they have access to disruption and removal in 3 different colours and therefore almost no bad match-up after sideboarding.

Oct 25, 2017
Are the new books going to be written by the same people who were putting the stories on the site together, or do we know?

There is some number of War of the Spark novels coming by at least two different authors. These are actual authors, not the in house story staff at wizards, who have mostly been laid off at this point.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I agree that Standard is in a good place since there are half a dozen viable tier 1 decks and another half a dozen underdogs that can steal good positions at tournaments but let's not pretend that there aren't 2-3 (depending on who you ask) goodstuff piles powered by almost perfect mana fixing that are dominating because they have access to disruption and removal in 3 different colours and therefore almost no bad match-up after sideboarding.
What you just said is simply not true. Are there a handful of tier 1 decks that perform overall well? Sure, absolutely. But I think the deck you're referring to (Sultai) is basically a deck that, post-board, has no outright bad matchups, but also no overall great ones, either. Esper Control does Control things, and can still get run over. Gruul Warriors and Mono Red can still struggle due to their nature, though admittedly Gruul does have a nicer long game package than typical aggro decks, and Mono Red has access to Frenzy.

The thing is, if you dip down to tier 1.5 and tier 2, there are dozens of viable strategies available that have a good shot of competing. Decks like Grixis Midrange, Selesnya Tokens, Abzan Angels, Temur Reclamation, Simic Climb, and Izzet Phoenix are rock solid.

Challenger Troll
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
image0.jpg

Each creature you control with power 4 or more can't be blocked by more than one creature.

Note that we shouldn't expect any more card previews today. There should be more tomorrow--or rather, when Asian countries start Monday.

EDIT:

D3a747mUIAAbKkS.jpg

D3a77UoUcAE4y0T.jpg

D3a79q3UEAAYudV.jpg

Last edited:

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
But how will I ever know the conclusion of Chandra and Gideon's sexual tension????

Or Jace and Vraska.

Or Sorin and Nahiri. Those two need to get a room so they can actually pay attention to the giant dragon trying to kill all the other walkers. Sorin's one of the oldest Planeswalkers, it's a real shame it looks like he's going to be sidelined with fighting Nahiri instead of facing off against Bolas. I hope I'm wrong.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how but I keep losing to mono green in legacy cube

I swear to god whenever I draft that shit I get either flooded or screwed

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Am I an asshole for conceding at FNM against Nexus?

I was on game 3 of a match against a guy playing Smothering Tithe / Emergency Powers with Electrodominance as a win condition. That was bad enough, but I had no idea he even had Nexus in his deck until game 3. He goes and cracks 7 treasures and I prepare to shuffle my hand back into my library for another Emergency Powers, but then he drops Nexus and without thinking I immediately scoop. He seemed really dejected and didn't talk to me the rest of the night. I just had zero interest in watching him play out his game of solitaire any longer.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I was on game 3 of a match against a guy playing Smothering Tithe / Emergency Powers with Electrodominance as a win condition. That was bad enough, but I had no idea he even had Nexus in his deck until game 3. He goes and cracks 7 treasures and I prepare to shuffle my hand back into my library for another Emergency Powers, but then he drops Nexus and without thinking I immediately scoop. He seemed really dejected and didn't talk to me the rest of the night. I just had zero interest in watching him play out his game of solitaire any longer.
What? No.

Oct 25, 2017

Anyone playing Nexus deserves long miserable games, especially combined with something like Emergency Powers. If someone gets mad at a free win because they can't keep playing solitaire then yeah they totally deserve it.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017

It sounds like you just ran into the rare combo player who accidentally juked themselves into building a prison deck.

Combo players assume people want to see their ridiculous Rube Goldberg contraption go into motion. Prison just want the concession. Not your fault the guy showed up with entirely the wrong kind of deck for what he wanted to get out of the experience; he should've been in Thousand Year Storm + Emergency Powers or some other clearly signaled goofball brew.

keeblerdrow

Dec 17, 2017
At FNM I've asked "Hey, I saw your deck last round, you're on Nexus right?" As soon as they answer, I sign the slip 0-2 and hand it to them.

You don't have to play against decks that make you miserable. You can have other priorities besides winning at all costs.

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
image0.jpg

Each creature you control with power 4 or more can't be blocked by more than one creature.

Note that we shouldn't expect any more card previews today. There should be more tomorrow--or rather, when Asian countries start Monday.

EDIT:

D3a747mUIAAbKkS.jpg

D3a77UoUcAE4y0T.jpg

D3a79q3UEAAYudV.jpg

Woah I would have never noticed that without it being pointed out. Cool :)

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Got my gf kinda into Magic via EDH and we've been doing winston drafts recently... picked up a fat pack of Amonkhet for super cheap so we did that one tonight. Pretty fun set.

Deleted member 29293

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Winston draft is a great format. How awesome would it be if WotC implemented some of these fun casual formats in Arena and you could then play them via direct challenge using your boosters.

Oct 25, 2017
No shit. The bots are complete ass.

I started a draft yesterday picking Banefire, Leonin Warleader, and Ajani. First, second, third picks in pack one. What the actual fuck. And then white got cut off. I'm not making this up.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
MaRo's article goes into how proliferate got into this set, when it failed so many times before. Also of note, there are 14 total proliferate cards, more than there were in the Scars of Mirrodin block total.

Also, basic land art with shit getting wrecked.
Captura.PNG

keeblerdrow

Dec 17, 2017
Oh right it's 3 cards, not 3 counters. I thought there was some "win the game" card that puts counters on the actual enemy player (which would work with proliferate), but I can't remember what it is if so.

We also have creatureless decks as pillars of the format. Ertrata does nothing but hit for 3 if there are no targets on your opponent's board. :(

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Shriekdiver_EN.png

That last one is clearly an anti-Phoenix and Krasis tech.
I'm sure they've done it plenty before (my in depth set knowledge is pretty low and largely just stretches back to Ixalan) but I was liking the design on that Shriekdiver, with a sort of pseudo-kicker haste... but then I got down to the stats. Shame that's so crap, as otherwise it'd be a neat little limited card.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that Shriekdiver statline is dire. 3 for a 2/1 flyer isn't terrible value, 4 for a 2/1 flier with haste is... way too slow.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you don't have to pay for the haste if you don't want to. And fliers will be at a premium because they threaten planeswalkers, and the haste could be very good there to surprise smash a planeswalker that your opponent thinks is safely behind a ground army.

It's not going to be an amazing card but it's probably going to be playable in limited.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Wow, pretty sweet board wipe, playing that will be super fun if you're able to draft a few creatures with higher toughness than power.

I'm curious to see how it plays out but proliferate seems way, way more powerful than Amass. There's a bunch of cards that toss +1/+1 counters around and proliferates seems like it will quickly get out of hand, whereas with Amass you're always a bounce spell away from losing your army.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Solar Blaze gives Jeskai Control a board wipe that can almost go toe-to-toe with Kaya's Wrath. Being able to build multiple different control variants is a good thing.

Oct 25, 2017
Solar Blaze gives Jeskai Control a board wipe that can almost go toe-to-toe with Kaya's Wrath. Being able to build multiple different control variants is a good thing.
In theory I might agree with you.

In practice, after seeing someone running an Esper Teferi Kaya etc. deck plus Niz-Mizzet because why not...I dunno how good of a thing it is. :P I'm still waiting to see if there are a couple new anti-planeswalker cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.