• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Do you have a link? Because I am fairly confident they never said that. At most they alluded to it being possible.
Not at present. I'm at work, so it would be very difficult for me to find. If it helps, it was presented on Hoogland's stream a couple of weeks ago. I'll try to track it down.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Turns out it was fairly easy to find. Here is a video from a few months ago wherein they say the removal of those two blocks is temporary, and that they'll be back in before this next rotation:

https://youtu.be/wiFe4xx9rnc?t=694

Last edited:

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
Turns out it was fairly easy to find. Here is a video from a few months ago wherein they say the removal of those two blocks is temporary, and that they'll be back in before this next rotation:

Also here is from a Reddit FAQ a bit ago:

Chris Clay 9/26/18 Forum
So yes, Amonkhet, Hour of Devastation, Kaladesh and Aether Revolt are now removed from Arena, including packs from the store and the ability to redeem Wildcards for cards from those sets.
For now.
Our goal is to ultimately provide a format beyond Standard for Arena, though what that ultimately looks like will likely develop throughout the next year. Creating this new format isn't something we want to rush into, and this lets us go into Open Beta with a much more reasonable amount of initial content. Beyond that... who knows.​
Nick Wolfram 4/30/18 Reddit
We are looking into creating an MTG Arena Extended Constructed format that would use a cardpool of every card in the game, and this format would likely be "always-on" alongside Standard.​

Jaya, Venerated Firemage

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
D3uexdBWwA8VnqO

Could this be a better choice than Experimental Frenzy for RDW?

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
all these years of playing this game and I've never gotten any better at evaluating cards, lol

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
all these years of playing this game and I've never gotten any better at evaluating cards, lol

It will pair well with things like the Wall and Guttersnipe, but you just can't beat card advantage. Bigger problem is that by turn 5, you have no spells to cast and play a frenzy or you've won the game.

Yes, it is pretty much open information, but I've seen people for MONTHS keep suggesting that the sets won't be back.

I watched that video a few months back but I honestly forgot how adamant the exec producer was about bringing the sets back. He said they're "definitely" coming back before rotation several times.

Oct 28, 2017

That was so long ago I wouldn't take that as conclusive evidence of anything at all. In the months since that was promised, they've regularly made announcements and then walked them back within a week or two.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
That was so long ago I wouldn't take that as conclusive evidence of anything at all. In the months since that was promised, they've regularly made announcements and then walked them back within a week or two.

Eh, sort of. Bringing those sets back has huge financial implications for Wizards/Hasbro that probably haven't changed too much since open beta. The financial planning that was assuming X millions from selling those sets was figured out when that statement was made.

Oct 28, 2017
What have they walked back, exactly?

Competitive progression, for one. They announced something like a week before the 1M Mythic Invitational announcement which was directly contrary to the previous announcement. They're also changing things regularly. It's very clear that they don't have long-term plans for the game set in stone. That means they should be shying away from making decisions that will have a permanent impact. Old sets can always be added to Standard Plus later on. They can't be removed if they're already there.

Oct 28, 2017
Eh, sort of. Bringing those sets back has huge financial implications for Wizards/Hasbro that probably haven't changed too much since open beta. The financial planning that was assuming X millions from selling those sets was figured out when that statement was made.

Releasing a new set is a short term monetary gain. If it's a bad decision and it harms the game in the long run, then it's a long term monetary loss. It's not so black and white as saying "will this make money or not?"

As for financial planning, no one would be planning on Arena's current financials when that statement was made. Arena is clearly much more popular than they expected.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Competitive progression, for one. They announced something like a week before the 1M Mythic Invitational announcement which was directly contrary to the previous announcement. They're also changing things regularly. It's very clear that they don't have long-term plans for the game set in stone. That means they should be shying away from making decisions that will have a permanent impact. Old sets can always be added to Standard Plus later on. They can't be removed if they're already there.
I'm unsure what you're talking about. They try things, and react according to fan demand and reaction. That's largely a good thing.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
Releasing a new set is a short term monetary gain. If it's a bad decision and it harms the game in the long run, then it's a long term monetary loss. It's not so black and white as saying "will this make money or not?"

As for financial planning, no one would be planning on Arena's current financials when that statement was made. Arena is clearly much more popular than they expected.

I'm sure the Hasbro exec that sees Arena putting in 150% expected revenue through 2 quarters will be happy when it goes to 100% expected revenue after 4 quarters because you cut planned content. Obviously things do change, but things like CE rewards and ladder progression are minuscule in scope (and therefore oversight) compared to releasing 4 extra sets this calendar year. Anyway we're getting pretty OT for this preview thread. Happy to continue over in the Arena thread.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
This is very playable in constructed for decks that don't actively care about going to the dome. (UWR Teferi-based control, for instance.)
I don't know. Not being able to kill Vivien Reid minusing doesn't seem worth the scry. And whatever PWs will be playable when this set releases.

Deleted member 29293

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, I wasn't aware they actually said it this straight forward. Will be interesting to see how they will manage this then.
Shadows Block was also found in the file documents for Arena, suggesting it's already done internally.

The question is really "how many older sets can you release in a year on top of the newer ones and not fatigue the player base?" Because you want to maximize the number you're putting out. Getting Modern on there eventually (like, within a decade) would be amazing.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Shadows Block was also found in the file documents for Arena, suggesting it's already done internally.

The question is really "how many older sets can you release in a year on top of the newer ones and not fatigue the player base?"
Shadows block was playable in the Alpha. I suspect it is likely coming in, as well.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Reintroducing an old set (or two) over the summer, alongside the annual Core Set, seems like a good policy. I figure that's gotta be their slowest season for Arena, since there's no supplemental products available.

Sep 14, 2018
Idk where the idea kld and amk were gone for good came from, I think someone made a video a few months ago arguing the new format should start from ixalan, "the first set by pd" and people sort of assimilated the idea?

I don't care about kld but amonkhet did nothing wrong (except for afflict), they would probably be a packaged deal however, and the new format would be much better off with the bigger pool, ban what was previously banned no problem with that at all.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
My expectation is block by block. Maybe when Modern Horizons lands, we get Amonkhet and Hour on Arena, with Hour drafts for at least two weeks. Kaladesh and Aether Revolt can come late August or early September. Basically use lulls in the release schedule advantageously.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
This feels weird for Amass (which was already weird) because like... isn't the whole point of the army stuff to get a big creature? So if the army is actually doing its job, this is essentially useless, as blocking it should mean death anyway? I mean, the card is perfectly fine, mind you, popping out a little death-toucher and making other tokens in the future be some (and of course I'm sure Zombie tokens in older constructed formats would at least look at this dude), but man... I dunno, Amass still feels like a big mess rather than some sort of cohesive whole.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
This feels weird for Amass (which was already weird) because like... isn't the whole point of the army stuff to get a big creature? So if the army is actually doing its job, this is essentially useless, as blocking it should mean death anyway? I mean, the card is perfectly fine, mind you, popping out a little death-toucher and making other tokens in the future be some (and of course I'm sure Zombie tokens in older constructed formats would at least look at this dude), but man... I dunno, Amass still feels like a big mess rather than some sort of cohesive whole.

Big armies are harder to destroy with spells like Jaya's Greeting

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Deathtouch is not redundant on large creatures. It can do work when your opponent is double blocking.

Chronos

Oct 27, 2017

Totally agree, the mechanic name doesn't match the result at all. Feels like this should be a go-wide mechanic not tall.

Would have been a lot cooler if Amass gave the ability to generate a new Army token or add a counters to an existing token.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Totally agree, the mechanic name doesn't match the result at all. Feels like this should be a go-wide mechanic not tall.

Would have been a lot cooler if Amass gave the ability to generate a new Army token or add a counters to an existing token.

They tested Amass as a go wide mechanic initially and didn't like how it played out.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017

I think that Amass is supposed to be a bit of both. There's certainly the potential to generate a big creature if you go off, but if you're trading with your opponent a lot then your Amass cards are just there to create board-filling tokens.

Another way to look at it: the Hexproof/Menace lord makes a lot more sense in a dedicated Amass/Boggles deck, but this Deathtouch lord is a lot more functional by itself (and therefore makes a solid Limited card).

Pundere

Oct 30, 2017
Man new Saheeli has a ton of potential. I could see her getting a spot in UR Phoenix as an alternate win con or for cloning huge Drakes.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017

There are other ways to make Zombie tokens in this format, even in this set, besides Amass. LIliana, Graveyard Marshal, Doomed Dissenter, Johsu Vess, etc. It's possible "amass" is more of a supplemental effect in Zombie Tribal than an exclusive build-around mechanic.

Oct 25, 2017
Saheeli is a card I'm going to build a lot of bad jank around. A little bummed the servo tokens don't have flying but that would've made her really insane. Giving her a split mana cost seems a little dangerous. Plop her down on T3 and start clogging up the ground to protect Teferi on T5? Sure thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.