• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I mean it's neat to see them push out more vehicles, but all 3 so far seem underwhelming. I feel like they designed the Sub with Simic/Merfolk in mind. Easy to get 2 power to crew across Merfolk + Counters. I didn't play during the Kaladesh days so it's hard for me personally to evaluate Vehicles.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Think about what you just said, then look at the format warping card that was Smuggler's Copter.

Some key differences in this theoretical card:

-The Copter cost 2 generic, letting it fit in any deck. UU is a world of difference.
-Crew 2 is substantially harder than Crew 1
-Two power instead of three
-Can't block fliers
-Not a discard outlet

I think the Submarine would be fine to print as unblockable

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looting is straight up worse than drawing. Discard outlet is almost worthless next to pure CA.
Copter was a mistake and it's obvious they overtuned this because of it.

This card shouldn't be unblockable. Even menace would be borderline (without considering color pie)

Oct 25, 2017
You can't make it unblockable - that's insane. You can't make it fly for flavor reasons. You can't make it islandwalk because landwalk is dumb.

What you could do is give it the clause "Discard a card: ~ can't be blocked this turn."

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Looting is straight up worse than drawing. Discard outlet is almost worthless next to pure CA.
Copter was a mistake and it's obvious they overtuned this because of it.

This card shouldn't be unblockable. Even menace would be borderline (without considering color pie)

Seems to me that an unblockable submarine would be slightly worse than Shadowmage Infiltrator, given the stricter color requirements and the need to have another 2-power creature out (which you also can't attack with).

I know people are traumatized by the Copter but this creature really could have had unblockable and still be fine. Thieving Magpie and Shadowmage were a thing for years and no one squawked about them being OP

Oct 28, 2017
Seems to me that an unblockable submarine would be slightly worse than Shadowmage Infiltrator, given the stricter color requirements and the need to have another 2-power creature out (which you also can't attack with).

I know people are traumatized by the Copter but this creature really could have had unblockable and still be fine. Thieving Magpie and Shadowmage were a thing for years and no one squawked about them being OP

I don't know why you keep comparing oranges and apples so much

I agree, the comparison isn't fair as they existed in different meta environments. Shadowmage Infiltrator and Thieving Magpie are 3 and 4 CMC respectively and they both have evasion but can still be blocked. This submarine would be much better than either of them with unblockable. Would it be format-warping? I don't think so but I wouldn't be surprised either. It would be incredibly strong.

Spark Double
Oct 28, 2017
New best clone? Only stuff you control, but copying a commander permanently is incredibly strong. Probably worse than Clever Imposter, but better in some decks.

D33SmhbUUAAo3l_.png:large

Edit: To be clear, I don't have a source on this. Just saw it on reddit.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Oh I read the opposite somehow and thought it made non legendary things legendary. Hahaha damn.

Strictly better than Clone in every way. Insane.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Do nonlegendary copies of planeswalkers get to share the field with the original of the same name?

There have been hints that those two are into each other, but nothing fully confirmed.

There have been gay and trans characters in Magic in the online stories and books, but it's usually not something shown front and center on the cards. Here are two examples that have been on cards, though.
Gay:
36.jpg

Trans:
119.jpg

This was actually discussed on Discord earlier today. It's clear that there are a ton of LGBTQ supportive people at Wizards and writing the stories, and tons of LGBTQ characters are in the stories, but they won't become front and center due to higher ups not wanting to screw up their chances in China and such.

Wasn't one of the elder dragons even in a same sex relationship?

Landwalk is a trash mechanic

Still better than landhome.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Do nonlegendary copies of planeswalkers get to share the field with the original of the same name?

There have been hints that those two are into each other, but nothing fully confirmed.

There have been gay and trans characters in Magic in the online stories and books, but it's usually not something shown front and center on the cards. Here are two examples that have been on cards, though.
Gay:
36.jpg

Trans:
119.jpg

This was actually discussed on Discord earlier today. It's clear that there are a ton of LGBTQ supportive people at Wizards and writing the stories, and tons of LGBTQ characters are in the stories, but they won't become front and center due to higher ups not wanting to screw up their chances in China and such.

Wasn't one of the elder dragons even in a same sex relationship?

Landwalk is a trash mechanic

Still better than landhome.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Mono-Blue is arguably already one of the best decks in the format. Why are you interested in giving it more tools?

Oct 28, 2017

Yes. Legendary rule only applies to other legendary permanents you control with the same name. Since the clone here is not legendary (a normal clone effect would copy the legendary aspect also), you could copy a legendary and retain control of both.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Mono-Blue is arguably already one of the best decks in the format. Why are you interested in giving it more tools?

I have no idea what the Standard metagame looks like. I'm just saying that on paper, an unblockable submarine is comparable in power level to Shadowmage Infiltrator.

So maybe it's not printable as-is due to the metagame, that's something I hadn't considered. But in a vacuum I really think it'd be fine

The wall of text makes it hard to realize how nuts this thing is. This is a Thragtusk-level card.

-4/4 creature
-Gain 4 life
-Kill a dude
-Mill someone for 4 (usually not relevant but could occasionally be good)

All for 5 mana? That's incredible value

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If you're not going to print Islandwalk anymore (and you shouldn't), you probably shouldn't print submarines.

And if you're not going to print Mountainwalk anymore, you probably shouldn't print the all new 2019 Chevy Silverado, one of the most dependable, long-lasting trucks on the market. With advanced safety features and the most towing capacity in its class. Chevy: Like a Rock.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea what the Standard metagame looks like. I'm just saying that on paper, an unblockable submarine is comparable in power level to Shadowmage Infiltrator.

It's not comparable. It costs less, requires fewer colors, and dodges sorcery speed removal. "Shadowmage Infiltrator" already exists in Standard and it's called Thief of Sanity, and is already one of the best creatures in the format.

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
Enter the Gods is pretty bad in a control shell, but can imagine it being OK in some midrange Grixis shell. I think it needs a huge metagame shakeup, though, given how bad it is against current control and Reclamation decks. (And are you really going to use a sideboard slot against aggro on a five-mana sorcery non-wrath?)

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
Amass is going to feel real bad with any pacifism style "can't attack or block" or "enchanted creature doesn't untap" effect. You don't get to choose where the counters go, so subsequent amass counters just keep pumping your locked down guy. Maybe they will avoid this type of effect in the set so limited plays better?

Status
Not open for further replies.