• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This also explains how the Gruul as a whole might no longer be under Bolas' influence, as he was the leader and Dragon's conduit.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
I thought domri was by far the most liked rg walker. I've never seen anyone talk up the wolf lady or xenagos and everyone was happy when sark did anything else. Also a scrawny gruul was a charming personality hook.

Oct 25, 2017
Weren't there already a couple cards from last set with flavor text like "Domri came out of nowhere and it's some sort of sign the SuperPig is about to charge into the meta and disrupt your deck" and "Lazav totally doesn't trust this dude who came out of nowhere and wants to investigate him?

Plus he seemed like kind of a jerk in general, so I'm not gonna miss him.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Can't have two Gruul walkers in the setting at the same time. Shame they couldn't have made a good Samut card first, though.

Ashiok, Dream Render

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
D4MzSU4WAAMA20G.png

This is a weird design for Uncommon- It's clearly a constructed sideboard card (and while it's a powerful effect, I'm not sure it's worth 3 mana and the risks of being a planeswalker). Seems like a huge limited trap as well unless there are more mill cards in the set at common

Oct 25, 2017
D4MzSU4WAAMA20G.png

This is a weird design for Uncommon- It's clearly a constructed sideboard card (and while it's a powerful effect, I'm not sure it's worth 3 mana and the risks of being a planeswalker). Seems like a huge limited trap as well unless there are more mill cards in the set at common
I think the most powerful effect, limited or not, is the fact that the opponent's graveyard gets exiled. Haven't there already been some cards in this set which pull things out of the graveyard? Maybe I'm misremembering. It also works in blue, black, mono blue, or any deck with black + blue which is nice. All that said, it's still probably more of a sideboard or anti-meta thing.

This doesn't completely block Mastermind's Acquisition, right? People would just search their sideboard as usual.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Some uncommons end up as constrcuted sideboard cards and not useful in limited. See Scrabbling Claws in RNA.

Oct 25, 2017
A reminder that this is not The Elderspell
Just imagine how many counters you'll get to put on an Amass creature with that card!

Bolas is such a terrible, cliche villain.
I can't believe we have to wait another year for the next movie to see if he sticks around. I'm not sure if he's actually popular or Wizards just WANT him to be super popular and keep cramming him down our throats.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It can make you a big blocker at instant speed, so it's not all bad. But probably one of the worst cards in the set that we've seen so far.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
It sucks in that it's basically Pearl Lake Ancient for a cheaper cost and a Draw 2 ETB trigger.... but what Made pearl Lake Ancient an incredible finisher for the mirror was that it could protect itself by bouncing lands. Meanwhile, this dies to random bounce effects, CMC 0 effects, kill spells, etc.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Commence the Endgame is an instant-speed Maro that double cantrips.

It feels like people are undervaluing Amass, between reactions to this and to Return of the God-Eternals (or whatever it's called). Maybe it's not up to snuff as a Constructed top-tier control finisher but this isn't a bad card at all.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know the lore very well, but I really don't like his design at all.
The lore is that he wants ultimate power. His schemes were for a long time undefined but we were told he was a mastermind. And now that we are seeing the pieces of his plan in plain view (since probably Kaladesh) no real mysteries or crazy plans were revealed. He's the horrible cliche we feared he would be.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know the lore very well, but I really don't like his design at all.
Embrace the dragon nipples.

Tbh the best lore was when they were foreshadowing Bolas but didn't outright reveal him until the next set.

164.jpg

It's not as mysterious when everyone and their mother know he's coming in Guilds of Ravnica.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bolas is perfectly fine for a big bad evil dragon guy. He manipulates things and has plans and shows up unexpectedly sometimes, and he dunked on everybody on Amonkhet which was fun. He's a totally okay discount Lex Luthor for the discount Justice League to fight.

That being said the Phyrexians and Eldrazi are both much better bad guys. Even with the stink of BFZ hanging around the latter.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Guess I'll just retire my Atraxa deck now.

Edit: just making sure, you can cast that without a planeswalker of your own right?

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Just imagine how many counters you'll get to put on an Amass creature with that card!

I can't believe we have to wait another year for the next movie to see if he sticks around. I'm not sure if he's actually popular or Wizards just WANT him to be super popular and keep cramming him down our throats.
I kind of feel like this is them getting off the plate so we can go back and do more with the Phyrexians

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure it would say "up to one planeswalker you control"
I think you need a walker to cast this?

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guess I'll just retire my Atraxa deck now.

Edit: just making sure, you can cast that without a planeswalker of your own right?
Yes. It's an absolutely absurd card vs any type of superfriends strategy.
I'm pretty sure it would say "up to one planeswalker you control"
I think you need a walker to cast this?
You don't, you target enemy walkers, you don't have to make a choice till resolution, and if there are no PWs on your side, that part just does nothing.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Remember one of the fundamental rules of Magic is that if you can't do everything a card says, you do as much as you can. So yes, you can cast The Elderspell without controlling a planeswalker of your own.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Geyadrone Dihada... that would be a pretty awesome evil entity to deal with. She was manipulating elder dragons and Dakkon Blackblade back in the day. I wonder if she is manipulating Bolas.

Oct 25, 2017
I think Spark Harvest and The Elderspell are the sort of planeswalker hate needed to possibly walk back Teferi decks. Elderspell is rare which will slow down acquisition, but at Spark Harvest is common.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how The Elderspell is scary. I've been having to deal with Merciless Eviction which I feel is a better card to have than this if you're trying to wipe them out of the game.

I would use this on MYSELF in my 5 color Sliver Queen/Jodah planeswalker deck to pump for an early ult and since they are only destroyed you can Primeval Glorious Rebirth.

It would be kind of weird for people to have this in a commander deck over Merciless Eviction to take care of planeswalkers

Last edited:

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
The Elderspell will probably see play in Superfriend decks. Cast them on your own walkers to get your emblem or ultimate.

Status
Not open for further replies.