• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 16849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This has been the best spoiler season yet. Wizards did a good job and it told a story. Rest in Peace in Spellbook Gideon amd Heartwarming Redemption is all feels. Also great flavor text on all the cards that have them.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I knew they were going to save JTMS for this one, didn't expect them to throw in Ugin as well. That's fucking bonkers. I forget, did they limit RNA Mythic to 2 boxes per person on eBay? I'm going to have to pick up as many as they allow.

Chronos

Oct 27, 2017
WotC realizing they need to pack these specialty boxes with a shit ton of equity to clear stock. Only so long that can last.

Oct 28, 2017
Any idea how much we're talking about here for shipping? Shipping for mythic editions from other US based ebay sellers don't seem bad at all, looks to be around 20-30 dollars

We're talking $200 supposedly. Sellers set their own international shipping costs. There was an extreme amount of negative feedback, so it could be better this time. Just be careful what you buy. A few people didn't pay attention in their haste and got screwed.

Keep in mind that I didn't see these prices myself, so the number could be wrong. But it's been corroborated.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We're talking $200 supposedly. Sellers set their own international shipping costs. There was an extreme amount of negative feedback, so it could be better this time. Just be careful what you buy. A few people didn't pay attention in their haste and got screwed.

Keep in mind that I didn't see these prices myself, so the number could be wrong. But it's been corroborated.

The fuck, that's definitely outrageous

Oct 28, 2017
WAR is up on draft sim if you want to practice building some sealed pools

https://draftsim.com/draft.php?mode=Sealed_WAR

Ran a few pods real quick. Every deck I made seemed like it would be pretty slow, but I also felt the Planeswalkers were holding it back. A lot of them just kind of suck. They're going to be a real trap on opening weekend I think. Everyone should be very careful about whether including the walkers actually benefits your gameplan.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

D4fRfOAVUAA71Z3.jpg%3Alarge

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
My guesses at the top monocolored commons and uncommons in limited:

Commons said:
For green, I think it's really close between Bloom Hulk and Band Together, but Green's creatures are big enough and there's enough answers to flying creatures at low rarities that I lean toward the Hulk.

Uncommons said:

• The Wanderer is also really good in white, so I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up edging past Realm.
  • There's not a lot of negative auras in the set, so the sphinx won't actually "rescue" a lot of creatures, but there's a ton of ETB effects. That plus resetting planeswalkers and getting a big flier for your trouble means it'll be really good.
  • For black, I think Ob Nixilis, Bleeding Edge and Davriel are all really good. Ob Nixilis being able to deal with 2 bombs, being a clock on his own and even draw you cards by getting rid of your early game stuff that becomes useless later in the game makes him flexible enough that I think he edges out the other two.
  • Chandra's Triumph is basically Lightning Strike since you rarely want to go to the face with it in limited anyway. The other mode isn't likely to come up often, but it'll be sweet when it does. Bolt Bend is probablt second best. Cyclops Electromancer might be a real competitor if the spells deck is something that can come together often, but its stats leave much to be desired.
  • Evolution Sage gets you immediate value if you have a land to play the same turn and there's a ton of counters flying around in this format. Challenger Troll would be my second pick for green.

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even realize they printed a strictly better Naturalize in Return to Nature until I looked at the full spoiler! I like that!

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
To be nitpicky, it's not strictly better, because if they somehow to change an enchantment into an artifact or vice versa in response the new one will fizzle where Naturalize won't!

They said that Rekindling Phoenix was causing trouble in the FFL since it's so good at contesting planeswalkers. It seems like there's a bunch of cards in this set that were probably tweaked to deal with it. Return to Nature, Forced Landing, Despark, Ob Nilixis's Cruelty

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
To be nitpicky, it's not strictly better, because if they somehow to change an enchantment into an artifact or vice versa in response the new one will fizzle where Naturalize won't!

They said that Rekindling Phoenix was causing trouble in the FFL since it's so good at contesting planeswalkers. It seems like there's a bunch of cards in this set that were probably tweaked to deal with it. Return to Nature, Forced Landing, Despark, Ob Nilixis's Cruelty
Lol, I did not think of that. Magic has a lot of fun corner cases.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Lol, I did not think of that. Magic has a lot of fun corner cases.

I'm gonna call this bluff. Come up with a way to do this. Change an artifact into a non-artifact enchantment, or an enchantment into a non-enchantment artifact, at instant speed.

This is one of those corner cases that is so niche that it actually might not exist. But I'm interested to be proven wrong.

Edit: One additional restriction. It has to be either an enchantment or an artifact at all times during this exercise.

Because, for example, if you use Neurok Transmuter to turn an artifact creature into a non-artifact creature, then that's enough to make the Return to Nature fizzle without needing to make it an enchantment, so it's still strictly better than Naturalize.

I'm looking for a combination of cards that specifically makes Naturalize situationally better than Return to Nature.

Last edited:

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
you have vedalken orrery and starfield of nyx and five copies of smothering tithe out, they target one of those copies naming enchantment, you flash in darksteel mutation to turn their target into an artifact, and since they have bonds of mortality out they could have removed the indestructible if it was relevant

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
you have vedalken orrery and starfield of nyx and five copies of smothering tithe out, they target one of those copies naming enchantment, you flash in darksteel mutation to turn their target into an artifact, and since they have bonds of mortality out they could have removed the indestructible if it was relevant

Nice. I came up with another one after i posted the question:

-You have Enchanted Evening, Neurok Transmuter, Claws of Gix, Wurmcoil Engine, and exactly one untapped blue mana.

The Wurmcoil Engine is also an enchantment, but if they Return to Nature on Wurmcoil Engine naming Artifact, you can use the Transmuter to make it a non-artifact, whereas if they name Enchantment, you can sacrifice Enchanted Evening to Claws of Gix to make Wurmcoil a non-enchantment. If they Naturalize instead, you can only activate one of the abilities due to lack of mana, which means it's either an Enchantment or an Artifact at all times and thus vulnerable to Naturalize regardless.

I feel like both of those scenarios are convoluted enough to safely say that Return to Nature is strictly better than Naturalize :P

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, I've never played Magic, don't know anything about it but I came across this Youtube channel called Alpha Investments and for some reason I've been watching this guy's videos. Can someone explain to me his unboxing videos? Like this one

He says he's opening one of his patron's cards. This sounds like the weirdest shit to me. Do I understand it correctly that basically he sells his patrons boxes of cards and before he ships the cards to them he unboxes them first on camera at the patron's behest? I would personally like to unbox my stuff myself but what do I know.

Sep 14, 2018
SArcher Oh yeah that's Rudy, MTG collector and known idiot. I'm pretty sure he sort of repackages the cards and the video goes up much later but I'm not really up to date on AI lol. There was something shady about what he does but I don't remember what, some kind of ripoff I think.

He's also somehow not a good mtg player, gives bad financial advice and unironically derides SJWs.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So, I've never played Magic, don't know anything about it but I came across this Youtube channel called Alpha Investments and for some reason I've been watching this guy's videos. Can someone explain to me his unboxing videos? Like this one

He says he's opening one of his patron's cards. This sounds like the weirdest shit to me. Do I understand it correctly that basically he sells his patrons boxes of cards and before he ships the cards to them he unboxes them first on camera at the patron's behest? I would personally like to unbox my stuff myself but what do I know.

Yes, this is exactly what is happening.

Rudy's a divisive figure in the Magic community btw. My experience watching him tells me that while his MO is to not outright lie, he loves to try and manipulate the card market for his personal gain. He also tries to speak with an air of authority as a store owner, but he doesn't really have as much inside info as he often tries to project. Take him with a grain of salt.

SArcher Oh yeah that's Rudy, MTG collector and known idiot. I'm pretty sure he sort of repackages the cards and the video goes up much later but I'm not really up to date on AI lol. There was something shady about what he does but I don't remember what, some kind of ripoff I think.

I think his box openings are legit. He has good boxes and bad boxes and I think the rate occurs about at what you'd expect with random chance.

Oct 28, 2017

It's not a scam. People just like him so much they want him to do an unboxing video for them. I don't get it, but it's a thing.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
seems like a real strange person and a strange way to interact with magic but i just play for fun so

as far as unboxing a prize on camera goes ive seen other places do it for contests and such, dunno if its just to get more content out of it or what but it seems innocuous

Justin

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, Washington
I'm pretty sure it's because of laws about selling sealed product overseas. There is something banning the sale if it's a sealed box but if the cards are loose it's ok.

L.E.D.

Oct 27, 2017
Pre-ordered this past weekend. First ever booster box for me. I'm sure it will take me hours to open them all as I love just looking at the cards artwork.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty sure it's because of laws about selling sealed product overseas. There is something banning the sale if it's a sealed box but if the cards are loose it's ok.

Never heard of this being a thing (I live in Europe btw).

Anyway, thanks for the info guys. Had no idea these cards can cost so much or that there's an entire economy around it.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I wonder how much restraint Wizards had to show to not reveal Gideon's death on Good Friday

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017

Only if the patreon wants them to be opened on camera.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017

I've never understood this either. Rudy can be entertaining (from what I've seen, I know he's friends with some shitty people like Unsleeved Media) but why people want him to open cards for them is beyond me, I can't relate at all to thinking that would be cool.

I'm kind of bummed spoiler season is over, they knocked it out of the park. I'm really curious to see what the next set will be like. It's going to be hard to carry the same excitement for a set that isn't the culmination of years of story and that has so many characters. I know next to nothing about the story but the way they convey little stories like Sorin and Nahiri's grudge is fun even if you don't know why they're mad at each other .

Oct 27, 2017
Regarding Rudy's patron unboxings: I imagine some people enjoy having him explain the value/history behind what they're getting. For older sets, the people who buy the boxes are generally only looking for a few cards in particular and will tell Rudy to keep cards that they don't want. The video is evidence of what the boxes contained to confirm what he opened and then sent/didn't send onto the patron as per their wishes.

A poster over on Reddit has been messing around with putting Homelands into Arena which has been an enjoyable bit of nostalgia for me. Seeing those cards incorporated into the modern design really makes the art pop, imo. The flavor in Homelands/Fallen Empires was so good. Shame about the rest of it.

b2sxvbqt28t21.jpg

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never understood this either. Rudy can be entertaining (from what I've seen, I know he's friends with some shitty people like Unsleeved Media) but why people want him to open cards for them is beyond me, I can't relate at all to thinking that would be cool.

Wait what? That's extremely disappointing if true

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding Rudy's patron unboxings: I imagine some people enjoy having him explain the value/history behind what they're getting. For older sets, the people who buy the boxes are generally only looking for a few cards in particular and will tell Rudy to keep cards that they don't want. The video is evidence of what the boxes contained to confirm what he opened and then sent/didn't send onto the patron as per their wishes.

A poster over on Reddit has been messing around with putting Homelands into Arena which has been an enjoyable bit of nostalgia for me. Seeing those cards incorporated into the modern design really makes the art pop, imo. The flavor in Homelands/Fallen Empires was so good. Shame about the rest of it.

b2sxvbqt28t21.jpg

I need those ABUR basics in Arena.

Status
Not open for further replies.