• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
To be clear, I didn't mean to insinuate that there wasn't some decisionmaking to be had. There certainly is an it does require skill to pilot well. I just think there is a bit less. A lot of what makes it complicated is not actually skill but rather properly adding up all your damage options so that you can make a single educated decision.
Statistics is a skill. Same in Poker.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
No? You can draw any card in your deck. You have to consider any of those options. There's no clear cut decision to be made like you think it is. Again, try playing an aggro deck in a competitive environment and come back to me. It's very difficult to pilot if you don't get the nuts draw against good opponents.

Feb 16, 2018
I don't see how binging games throughout the week leads to a different experience than binging games on a Friday night.

it's about quantity, not pacing

a good competitive esports video game would be something deep enough to play for 50 hours a week
standard doesn't have this amount of depth, specifically because of decks that shit all over the whole concept of a board+card game by steering the game to a position where there aren't actually any cards on the board (except lands, which aren't really cards)

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
D4yzrCnXoAA7q04.png

778.jpg

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe worth an announcement thread? Especially with Amano there. I'll be in transit soon, though, so I can't make it.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Those alt art cards are awesome. I live in Japan but primarily buy English cards, this is tempting tho :(
Wonder how much they'll resell for. Probably not too much here but more worldwide?
Still gonna buy my box in English but I guess I'll have to attend at least one Japanese draft for one of these guys

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
Amano Liliana is the stand out of that set, definitely. Most of the others are too... trashy anime? Like Nahiri is the worst by far.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Those alt art cards are awesome. I live in Japan but primarily buy English cards, this is tempting tho :(
Wonder how much they'll resell for. Probably not too much here but more worldwide?
Still gonna buy my box in English but I guess I'll have to attend at least one Japanese draft for one of these guys
Buy all the foil ones, sit on them for 2 years, enjoy tripling your investment

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
edit: oops, double post, thx phone for not refreshing the page and making me post the same thing twice.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
I put Liliana through Waifu 2x for a better view, she looks great.

This card ALONE must have been super expensive to commission. They're really pulling out all the stops for WAR.

QXl3oTN.png

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Buy all the foil ones, sit on them for 2 years, enjoy tripling your investment

Yeah the art runs the gamut here. The Arlinn art is on amazing, its a shame its not a better card. Also will need a playset of the Kiora whose card I actually like too

Buy the JP box. The Liliana will go for an obscene amount.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i mean your chances of ripping amano liliana from a box might as well be zero, im just gonna buy that shit

dont really want other japanese cards atm

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has there been any hint at what the next set will be/take place? As someone that missed out on all the modern sets, I'd love an eldrazi or phyrexian based set, really like the art of those sets

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
Something new would be nice but the New Phyrexians have been sidelined for a loooong time now relatively.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Full art:

NO4XdKI.jpg

Ultra Pro is also making sleeves as some sort of promotional event:

Do you want goods as well as cards? Then please take part in this campaign! You may be able to get Liliana's art posters and sleeves drawn by Yoshitaka Amano-sensei! This Magic PR Office: Save points and get limited items! News of "Karu Taisen" limited card sleeve campaign

pAO4MEP.png

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
Good thing I never like foils/foiling so hopefully I can get a regular LiliAmano for not murderous prices.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
yeah i sort of want a foil but i am content to just get a regular because then i wont have any problems playing it

i still wouldnt complain about a foil for the binder...

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Oooooooor, how about something totally new?
Well yeah. If you look back a few pages I think I said I would prefer a few sets of that, so I'm with you. But you know they will do returns soon enough. And I'm hoping to get a look back there when we do.

My money is on Theros being up next for a return though. How cool would it be if the story for the set was Elspeth fighting her way out of Nyx only to get to the surface just as the Phyrexians were invading.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Japanese Tibalt is stylish!

I would have liked Huatli but her face looks ridiculously young. She's a warrior poet, not part of the school poetry club.

Deleted member 29293

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Challenge for WotS limited. Win one game where the opponent plays Oketra. Most of the time I will probably just scoop.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The JP art is ehhhhhhh okay for the most part. Couple of really great pieces, but overall hit-or-miss.

Oct 28, 2017
Agreed. A few of them are gorgeous, a few are laughably awful and most are kinda generic. I prefer these to the usual sterile nature of planeswalker art though.

Yup. The art direction on Planeswalkers needs a lot of work. They're almost always standing there doing nothing. Maybe their hands are glowing on occasion?

I do agree a lot of these are extremely...childish. They do look exactly like anime alternate art cards you might find somewhere. Like, literally:

jp_yWnluB2daj.png

vs.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Chandra's is probably the best art she has.

Same with Sorin because he's actually doing something.

I also really like the background in Karn's art.

Arlinn pops out. (You can see her hands grabbing the edge.)

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Chandra's is probably the best art she has.

Same with Sorin because he's actually doing something.

I also really like the background in Karn's art.

Arlinn pops out. (You can see her hands grabbing the edge.)
Arlinn, Lili, Karn, and Domri are all legit great. Some of the others are good (Sorin, Chandra, Huatli). But a lot of them are bad. Dire, even. Gideon, Nahiri... *shudders*.

And Sahili looks like an entirely different character, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.