• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I really like the art for Sarkhan, Arlinn, Domri, Ashiok, Ob Nixilis and Angrath. But I've got no idea what going on with some of them. Nissa looks like she's just dislocated her pelvis.

Hasbro Q1 earnings report
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a nice breakdown of what can be gleaned from the earnings call and how it pertains to Arena and MTGO, courtesy of our eight tentacled friend on the discord:

okay here are the numbers i have
- as of I think 2017, Hearthstone revenues globally were just shy of $400m
- as of 2017/2018, the overall annual revenue of MTG as a whole was somewhere between $300m and $350m
- according to a third-party report in 2017, MTGO revenues for the year were something like $25m, i.e. less than 1/10th of total Magic revenues
- according to WotC, at an earlier period, MTGO revenues represented half of all Magic revenues, though based on timeframe it's very unlikely this number was ever more than $75m
- based on the earnings report posted today, it's fair to assume Arena is on track to do $120 - $150m this year, so probably like double MTGO's lifetime high and a lot more than its current throughput

Oct 26, 2017
God damn, those Japanese alt-art cards for the Planeswalkers are super pretty.

There's a few that I want, but I really want Vraska.

(upscaled with waifu2x)
wE9eOVW.png

Chronos

Oct 27, 2017
I'm shocked that Arena is as good as it is from a user experience and f2p perspective. They are killing it with this launch and I'm more than happy to move on from MTGO if they continue to support it as well. After so many misguided attempts at PC clients, they finally got it right.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't like Arena's economy. It's better than something like MTGO or Artifact but they still pulled from the exploitative F2P playbook by having a premium currency and doing wildcards instead of crafting.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I think they can improve the UI considerably. Every time I watch a youtube video it's kind of unwatchable. You can't see clearly what's in hand, what the cards in play are, what the cards do, which cards are tapped which are not. Arena still has ways to go.

Chronos

Oct 27, 2017
Most of the Japanese alternate art Planeswalker's look terrible. I guess I don't understand the appeal of that kind of thing and I'm clearly not the target audience for it.

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't like Arena's economy. It's better than something like MTGO or Artifact but they still pulled from the exploitative F2P playbook by having a premium currency and doing wildcards instead of crafting.
Coming from Hearthstone, I freaking love the wildcards. I don't have to deal with dusting and crafting, I get to keep other cards AND collect wildcards, and I can choose whatever I want. It just feels better than trying to build up dust to turn in a wildcard for exactly what I want.

Chronos

Oct 27, 2017
Coming from Hearthstone, I freaking love the wildcards. I don't have to deal with dusting and crafting, I get to keep other cards AND collect wildcards, and I can choose whatever I want. It just feels better than trying to build up dust to turn in a wildcard for exactly what I want.

It has a longer gestation/time investment before it pays off, but I think it will be superior in the long run. Once you build a playset of all the staples and draft regularly, it shouldn't be a problem having a ton of wildcards or enough free coins to buy into each expansion.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
honestly maybe its just because i find magic more fun in general but ever since maybe month 1 i havent wanted for anything on arena, but then i dont play strictly tier decks or anything

i think it is pretty easy to build a collection and make playable decks with the only iffy things being unplayable build around mythics and required playsets of rares

i got 60k gold to burn

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Fingers crossed that those Japanese alt arts don't end up being insanely pricey (tried checking, but I can't find them up anywhere for preorder just yet) as there are definitely a few I'd like to grab...

Oct 28, 2017
honestly maybe its just because i find magic more fun in general but ever since maybe month 1 i havent wanted for anything on arena, but then i dont play strictly tier decks or anything

i think it is pretty easy to build a collection and make playable decks with the only iffy things being unplayable build around mythics and required playsets of rares

i got 60k gold to burn

I don't play enough to have extra gold, but I think this is generally true. I bought the 50 pack bundle and should be good with just that and my drafts. I'll probably do a single sealed to practice before my high stakes prerelease but that's it.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Fingers crossed that those Japanese alt arts don't end up being insanely pricey (tried checking, but I can't find them up anywhere for preorder just yet) as there are definitely a few I'd like to grab...

The uncommons and rares should be easy enough to obtain. If you can wait until Core 2020, 25% of the special promo packs will contain these cards.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

I honestly don't understand this sentiment. I came from Hearthstone myself. Wildcards are like arcane dust, except it restricts what you can use them on. It's worse from a flexibility standpoint.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
They are going to appear in Core 2020 promo packs. It's not like these are going to be masterpiece rarity.

Mottschi

Oct 28, 2017
Versailles, France
Haven't played paper Magic in 20 years, but after getting back into the game last year thanks to Arena, I'm thinking about joining a pre-release event this weekend. Even managed to recover my original DCI number in preparation.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well you have a 50% chance in Japanese packs... whichmeans 50% chance of a mythic being alt art... then whatever percentage there is for it to be a foil. Then it's also a viable card for play. Plus it's art from Amano. I definitely do not see foils of these going for less than $300

darkside

Oct 26, 2017

Looks like we are getting a second Modern PT

I'm honestly surprised Modern is getting this much support given its an irrelevant format on Arena. It's also genuinely a terrible way to show off your new product because you might have what, 3 or 4 relevant cards in an entire set for the format?

Chronos

Oct 27, 2017
No Mythic Championship for War of the Spark Standard? Seems kinda crazy. Maybe they are waiting for new Arena features to support tournament play before doing Standard again? I don't know, but I am loving that they are supporting Modern.

Now do a Legacy Mythic Championship :D

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly surprised Modern is getting this much support given its an irrelevant format on Arena. It's also genuinely a terrible way to show off your new product because you might have what, 3 or 4 relevant cards in an entire set for the format?
The advantage is that you get a higher variety of decks than Standard
Also, all of the Arena PTs can only be Standard, Dual Standard, or the forthcoming Frontier variant. It makes sense to have 2 Modern PTs when you have 5 other Standard PTs
No Mythic Championship for War of the Spark Standard? Seems kinda crazy. Maybe they are waiting for new Arena features to support tournament play before doing Standard again? I don't know, but I am loving that they are supporting Modern.

Now do a Legacy Mythic Championship :D
It's very notable that these are numbered MC 4 and MC 6
It's very likely that an Arena event will be MC 5, and that will be Standard

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
That... doesn't even seem the difficult to assemble?

It's a ridiculous combo but it doesn't seem overly hard to stop either. Butcher starts as a 1/1 so there's plenty of ways to kill or pacify it.

Edit: Damn, forgot it has haste, that does change things.

I haven't been following Standard for long at all, but it still doesn't seem like this is too hard to stop, especially if it becomes a huge part of the meta. Even if it gets in for that initial point of damage and becomes a 2/2 there's still plenty of ways to kill it for 3 mana or less before your opponent has the chance to pump and Thud it.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the turn 3 kill is pretty fragile. Block it while it's a 1/1, counter anything, kill it, and it's broken. It'll still happen sometimes if the framework is solid without the turn 3 kill, but it shouldn't be a big problem.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Spent the afternoon watching day9 stream pre-release games. The infinite combos are satisfying when they work but there are a lot of games where you're not going to have time to set them up, or one tiny piece of them gets blocked and ruins your plans. The finale cards on the other hand seem to be pretty good finishers when you can get them off.

Chronos

Oct 27, 2017
It's nothing to worry about. Combo requires 3 pieces by turn 3 that are very fragile and easy to disrupt. Just like Ral's infinite Expansion combo. It will be fun when it goes off, but it won't define the meta or become a T1 strat:

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
I got into Magic back during Tempest (technically when Ice Age came out, but I didn't start really collecting and playing until Tempest) and quit the game and sold my collection right as the second set in Return to Ravnica came out. I heard they went back to Dominaria and that almost got me back into the game, but when I looked at the cards they didn't do anything for me. Now with all the hype this set is getting, I'm checking it out and it looks like a FUN set. Especially to draft, which was always my preferred way of playing. But...I feel like I can't get back into the game knowing all the cards I had are gone and I'd be starting from scratch. Also, it's just an expensive hobby. At least it can be, and I don't trust myself to not go full bore if I get back into it again.

Luckily I won't have time this weekend to go to a prerelease. But I think I might try out a draft when it releases. I'm scared.

Feb 16, 2018
explored some of the new build-around constructed cards for WAR standard: kiora, finale of promise, niv mizzet reborn, feather, dreadhorde arcanist, kefnet

6 image album:

some of the new cards are good. most of these decks won't be. some might be fun though

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I got into Magic back during Tempest (technically when Ice Age came out, but I didn't start really collecting and playing until Tempest) and quit the game and sold my collection right as the second set in Return to Ravnica came out. I heard they went back to Dominaria and that almost got me back into the game, but when I looked at the cards they didn't do anything for me. Now with all the hype this set is getting, I'm checking it out and it looks like a FUN set. Especially to draft, which was always my preferred way of playing. But...I feel like I can't get back into the game knowing all the cards I had are gone and I'd be starting from scratch. Also, it's just an expensive hobby. At least it can be, and I don't trust myself to not go full bore if I get back into it again.

Luckily I won't have time this weekend to go to a prerelease. But I think I might try out a draft when it releases. I'm scared.

You can always just play on Arena. If you spend like a half hour per day or so playing you can easily do about two drafts per week for free.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I suspect Rest in Peace is in M20 and the Gideon's Spellbook page saying it was standard legal was ... a different type of screwup.

Mottschi

Oct 28, 2017
Versailles, France
How? I couldn't find mine and Wizards couldn't either.

I actually remembered most of the digits, just was not 100% sure on how it fit together. Looked up the numbers I suspected on the Planeswalker Points website and found one where the dates of the last events shown there matched what I remembered (luckily, some of them were linked to very specific events in my life - like one that was exactly the weekend after I got my driver license, first (and only) car trip I took by myself was to a Magic tournament).

From that point on, it took several mails back and forth with the WotC Customer Support, trying to give them as much information about playhistory/tournaments I attended for their verification. In the end, it was me remembering some specific prereleases I attended that got me through.

I was really surprised how much I ended up remembering considering my active period was 97-98, last tournament February 99, so a little more then 20 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.