• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm awaiting the Grisselban in Modern at some point. It just enables too much craziness.

Oct 25, 2017
So, I'm declaring this as not off-topic. I see the trailer for Season 6 of Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. pop up on my feed. I'm excited to watch it.

And then, well, see for yourself.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Well, I saw the cinematic of War of The Sparks while playing Magic Arena (it suddenly started out of nowhere).
Damn, that was good.

cdViking

Oct 28, 2017
...Whoops. Didn't realize those products came with boosters too, with the way people brought them up in the past I always figured they were just really expensive singles (that admittedly hold the value and then some). Would've jumped on them if I knew that as it would've probably swung the value proposition enough for me. (Just didn't feel right about spending that much solely on singles, even if it was worth it).

Guessing this is dead, yeah? Oh well, I'll keep that in mind for next time they do one of these things.
Yeah the upside of these is that the guaranteed singles would sell for more individually than the cost of the whole product. I'm opening one (need Jace/Ugin for my cube, and those versions are gorgeous), and will get to run a full draft with playgroup where nobody has to pay entry (and I get the cards back obv). The value of a "free" draft and the regular War of the Spark cards pushes it over the top.

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah the upside of these is that the guaranteed singles would sell for more individually than the cost of the whole product. I'm opening one (need Jace/Ugin for my cube, and those versions are gorgeous), and will get to run a full draft with playgroup where nobody has to pay entry (and I get the cards back obv). The value of a "free" draft and the regular War of the Spark cards pushes it over the top.

I think it's likely they will, but there's not actually a guarantee the cards will sell for more than the cost of the box. Especially after you take into consideration shipping and marketplace fees (unless you sell only locally in cash). It's possible this set drives an increase in supply without additional demand and lowers the price of the cards in the short term.

cdViking

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's likely they will, but there's not actually a guarantee the cards will sell for more than the cost of the box. Especially after you take into consideration shipping and marketplace fees (unless you sell only locally in cash). It's possible this set drives an increase in supply without additional demand and lowers the price of the cards in the short term.
You're not wrong, but the small print run limits the risk of a supply-based decrease in market pricing.

I'm always prepared for a price plummet when I buy Magic cards (ie I'm not draining my retirement savings), but this was is limited risk a Magic "investment" as you could make. Gf and I were just lucky to get our orders in.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
going against simic nexus in standard feels like playing against infect in modern, I was sure they were going to win on the spot even if I had them practically locked up, shit is stressful.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Just had someone play Liliana in both games. Wish there were more ways to interact with planeswalkers other than attacking because some like Liliana are actually bonkers. She removed both of my fliers by herself. Suffice to say I really don't have a great impression of this set. Dominaria is better.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
Just had someone play Liliana in both games. Wish there were more ways to interact with planeswalkers other than attacking because some like Liliana are actually bonkers. She removed both of my fliers by herself. Suffice to say I really don't have a great impression of this set. Dominaria is better.

Dominaria is a pretty high bar.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So me and my GF attended a War of the Spark prerelease event last week and I'm wondering what should we get as complete beginners? For just playing against each other? Two planeswalker decks, two challenger decks or a duel deck?

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
So me and my GF attended a War of the Spark prerelease event last week and I'm wondering what should we get as complete beginners? For just playing against each other? Two planeswalker decks, two challenger decks or a duel deck?
Duel Decks are no longer being made, and I assume the older ones that are worth anything are pretty expensive now.
For beginner play, two planeswalker decks sound good. The challenger decks are based on actual tournament decks, if that's what you'd prefer.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
The planeswalker decks are a good beginner choice. The recent "Global Series" two-pack is two planeswalker decks intended for beginners based on Chinese mythology. Guild kits wouldn't be a terrible choice either but they will be more complex.

SArcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What's the downside of starting out with challenger decks straight out of the gate? Too complex for beginners?

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
What's the downside of starting out with challenger decks straight out of the gate? Too complex for beginners?

Also more expensive. And built for competition so a lot of 4x copies of cards instead of 1-2x so more consistency and less variety. You would probably still be OK if it's what you want though.

SArcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've noticed that, yeah. So how come tournament decks often have 3-4x copies of cards? What's the logic behind it?

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
I've noticed that, yeah. So how come tournament decks often have 3-4x copies of cards? What's the logic behind it?

Consistency. You want the greatest chance of drawing your "win condition (or win con)" by having 3 or 4 copies.

Wizards prints the challenger decks with fewer copies of the good stuff so people don't buy them to resell.

SArcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But surely there are different cards that have more or less the same stats/effects. Dunno, would be a bit boring playing the exact same cards over and over again imo. But I guess when it comes to tournaments noone cares about that.

Oct 28, 2017
But surely there are different cards that have more or less the same stats/effects. Dunno, would be a bit boring playing the exact same cards over and over again imo. But I guess when it comes to tournaments noone cares about that.

I play different formats so I get the best of every world. I like the competitive decks where making the best decisions divides the haves from the have nots. I like draft to show off my ability to build a deck. I like Commander (which is 100 card decks limited to 1 of each card) when I just want crazy stuff to happen and to never know what you'll be up against.

You're just starting out so it's okay to pick and choose one thing over another. Casual play is definitely best for you as you're not likely to know what decisions to make until you have plenty of experience. Just know that there may come a time when competitive matters to you, and that'll be okay too. There's room for competitive and fun.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017

If you wanna some variety for casual play, the guild kits are also pretty neat. Those are more of a flavor build for each guild with a bunch of fun cards from prior ravnica sets. I'm not sure how they compare cost wise to the planeswalker decks, but they should be less than then challenger decks. They will play well against each other if you wanna pick up a few. Plus, pins!

But since they have older cards they won't be standard legal, which might be a problem if you decide you wanna try out some FNM.

That said, the challenger decks are solid product. Just differently tuned.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Got a call from my LGS yesterday, Japanese WAR boxes won't be in from their distributor until late May. Offered to cancel my pre-order or switch to English.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
This whole mythic edition selling on eBay nonsense is such a bush league move. Not sure what wizards is thinking on this

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
That is where the art of deck selection and card choice comes into play. Instead of playing a card that can kill an enchantment, instead I will build my deck in a way to kill my opponent quickly before their enchantments do anything negative to me. Instead of playing creatures to block and kill their creatures, i will play a deck that plays with a plan to extend the game as long as possible, so that their individual cards don't make as much of an impact as my more powerful cards. Also, the more you play a deck, the more you become familiar with it and understand it. Think of it like playing a fighting game- when you are playing casually with friends, it's fun to constantly switch characters. But if you are looking to get deeper and more competitive, you are going to find your character and you are going to spend hours just playing as them

People play limited (draft and sealed) to have experiences playing with different cards

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
This whole mythic edition selling on eBay nonsense is such a bush league move. Not sure what wizards is thinking on this
They tried selling on their own site for the first one and ran into similar issues, so they switched over to eBay which should theoretically have better infrastructure to handle that sort of traffic. It worked without a hitch for the RNA Mythic Edition, but that was mainly because no one wanted it.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
They tried selling on their own site for the first one and ran into similar issues, so they switched over to eBay which should theoretically have better infrastructure to handle that sort of traffic. It worked without a hitch for the RNA Mythic Edition, but that was mainly because no one wanted it.

Trying to sell on their own site, or on eBay, is only part of the problem. Why are they doing a stupid limited edition thing like this, bypassing local gaming stores entirely, and forcing prospective customers to rush to a website in a 30 minute time frame or else miss out?

This is the type of stunt that I'd expect from a company in the late 90's or early 2000. In 2019 it's just idiocy, and it's unacceptable

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
did you have a confirmation email from when you ordered the mythic edition? If so, what was the timestamp, wondering if I'm still in danger of getting mine canceled
All I had was PayPal taking the money out.

Trying to sell on their own site, or on eBay, is only part of the problem. Why are they doing a stupid limited edition thing like this, bypassing local gaming stores entirely, and forcing prospective customers to rush to a website in a 30 minute time frame or else miss out?

This is the type of stunt that I'd expect from a company in the late 90's or early 2000. In 2019 it's just idiocy, and it's unacceptable
30 minutes? More like 30 seconds. It sold out so fast I couldn't get one because the site wouldn't even load and I was on time.

Oct 28, 2017

I prefer it this way. An LGS would not necessarily charge $250 for this. Not to mention they want to skip two middle men and direct sell to us, which also theoretically lowers our price.

Barrin

Dec 12, 2017
My Mythic Edition order was confirmed which is great. Shitty for all the people that had their orders cancelled but nice that eBay is sending them a gift card and something else from WotC. I wonder if it will be another box topper.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017

All collectables do stupid expensive limited editions. Look at Detective Comics 1000 last month- that had something like 60 varient covers, some of which in order for a store to order a single copy of they had to order 100s of copies of a different cover. Look at the super rare varients of Funko Pops that people sell for 100s of dollars when they get one. Look at Panini Flawless for Baseball cards- Your $1000 box contains one (1) booster pack of ten (10) cards, but they are all super special autograph cards. There is a market in all collectable hobbies for a high end product, and it just took Wizards 25 years to realize it. And unlike a lot of the other things they have tried, like constructed legal cards that are only avalible in limited quantities at specific physical stores, this is something that in no way "hurts" the game- If it's going to have any effect on the "normal" versions of the cards, it's going to be lowering the price, not raising it. And unlike Masterpiece cards, this isn't going to tank the value of "normal" cards in the set.

If anything, I think they should raise the price of these Masters sets- they left a lot of money on the table with this one. If it was $350 instead of $250, would this have sold out just as quickly? Probably. As long as they maintain good "value" in the reprints, these will sell.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

keeblerdrow

Dec 17, 2017
I never even got a chance to enter an order.

The entire limitation of quantity around these Mythic Editions is just a massive feel back for anyone enthusiastic about their novelty.

Athleon

Oct 28, 2017
It makes more sense if you think of the Elves as rituals and Chainwhirlers as situational bombs that can cripple the opponent.

There is a history of white creature decks playing Wrath of God occasionally too. And you ALWAYS play Wraths in limited even though everyone has a creature deck

The mana is so bad though. 11 Untapped G for Elves (~83% to cast on t1) and 17 R for Chainwhirler (only ~63% to cast on t3) is just not enough.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
The mana is so bad though. 11 Untapped G for Elves (~83% to cast on t1) and 17 R for Chainwhirler (only ~63% to cast on t3) is just not enough.

Maybe it's still fine if they play the Chainwhirler on turn 4 or turn 5? It is a pretty devastating card when it does what it's supposed to do

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I get that they're limited edition but man they could easily sell through double every time.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
This deck seems way more interested in a turn 2 Spellbreaker or Domri than it does about casting a Chainwhirler on curve

I get that they're limited edition but man they could easily sell through double every time.
It's a balancing act where if you print too many of them there will be less demand, as the demand comes from the fact that it's a limited edition
One of the better suggestions I have seen is simpliy making it an open order item that is on sale for 24 hours, is then printed to that demand (minus some extras for CFB to sell/prizewall and some to replace faulty delivered product), and then that's it.

cdViking

Oct 28, 2017
eBay orders for War of the Spark Mythic Edition were cancelled. Not too chuffed if they have similar "make good" as last time (a Ultimate Masters style box topper) as the value is infinite, but a little disappointed after gf and I both got orders in the first 12,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.